Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

2010 Driver/Team Prediction Thread

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the team to beat in 2010?

• Ferrari
    • Mclaren
    • Red Bull
    • Renault
    • Brawn
    • Williams
    • Toyota
    • The FIA

So I know there are a lot of threads touching on particular drivers and what teams they might or will be driving for in 2010,

but since next season could possibly have move teams changing their drivers than ever before I figured lets make a prediction thread for it.

So here's my million dollar predictions: (Confirmed = *)

Ferrari

Alonso* and Massa*

Mclaren

Hamilton* and Raikkonen

Renault

Kubica* and Grosjean

Red Bull

Webber* and Vettel*

Brawn GP

Button and Rosberg

Williams

Barrichello and Hulkenberg

Torro Rossa

Buemi and Klien

Toyota

Glock and Heidfeld

Force India

Liuzzi and Sutil

Other drivers in with a shout...

Senna, Sato, Davidson

The team to beat will be Mercedes engines I'm afraid.

Yup.

The team to beat will be Mercedes engines I'm afraid.

I think and hope so, what it is not sure is the rest of Mclaren package as they kept developing this season's car instead of concentrating in the next season's car as earlier as possible like Ferrari did, on the other hand MW said that their 2010 contender will be a lot faster than this year's.

I am expecting problems at Ferrari between Massa and Alonso as Massa keep saying Renault stole his WDC title last year (he said again today) and all that trama was to make Alonso win the race, if Massa is as fast as he have been these years Alonso is in a world of trouble, his dream may become a nightmare specially in Kimi finally lands at Mclaren and they are as I expect the team to beat.

My personal wish is that we get a battle between Ferrari and Mclaren, and with those drivers (Alonso, Massa + Lewis, Kimi) in those teams it would hopefully be a four way title fight! Also, a supporting cast and story of Vettel/Webber and Rosberg/Button sounds fun to me.

In terms of team performance, my feeling is that Red Bull have had their chance this year; while it wouldn't surprise me if Ross Brawn magicked something up to return his team to the front (a second fuel tank, perhaps). In any event I expect both teams to have some trouble producing a competitive package, as most of the other teams quickly began work on their cars for next year early on this season (and with a lack of testing, this is all the more important). However, as for a logical choice of which team will be leading the pack - history says predictions are futile.

If the talk of engine equalisation (a grenade lobbed into FOTA?) comes to fruition, then Mercedes' clear advantage won't be so decisive.

Ferrari of course! :P

But yeah, 2010 looks to be really good, the obvious match up of Ferrari v McLaren v Brawn v Red Bull and perhaps Renault with Kubica too.

If the talk of engine equalisation (a grenade lobbed into FOTA?) comes to fruition, then Mercedes' clear advantage won't be so decisive.

I think most of us have your same wish but we still don't know how the new rules, like no refuelling, will affect the grid. I hate those stupid changes, and no better prove to see they are stupid that changing them back to the original state few years later.

I think most of us have your same wish but we still don't know how the new rules, like no refuelling, will affect the grid. I hate those stupid changes, and no better prove to see they are stupid that changing them back to the original state few years later.

When I started to watch F1 there was no refueling, you could see drivers running out of fuel with the finish in sight and if we are going back to no refueling maybe that's the way to go based on what you just said.

Indeed - that's exactly why I'm careful not to make any bold predictions about next year (I'll leave that to our resident prophet Cav!). I am just certain of what I'd like to see and what I think would be good for our sport. While I'm on that subject of good for the sport, I agree: FIA's pointless & constant meddling in the rules is irritating.

Indeed - that's exactly why I'm careful not to make any bold predictions about next year (I'll leave that to our resident prophet Cav!). I am just certain of what I'd like to see and what I think would be good for our sport. While I'm on that subject of good for the sport, I agree: FIA's pointless & constant meddling in the rules is irritating.

+1

If my memory is correct, didn't we have no refueling in the 80s? And the result was they added refuelling to spice up the races?

All the FIA is make one stupid rule decision after another, then backtrack and do the exact opposite. Slick Tyres, Groove Tyres, Slick Tyres. Or raise the front wing, lower the front wing.

F*ck the FIA. There constant meddleing is atrocious. The rule changes are costing the teams hundreds of millions of dollars, and for what. Apart from the change to have engines and transmissions last for X number of races, not one of their ideas has actually saved the sport and teams money.

And the golden egg... testing. In what other sport can you NOT test as a driver, or in sport in general, practice what you do to learn and get better.

Thank God for the drivers I do support, because if they were not in F1, I would be more than happy to see the 30sec highlight reel on the nightly news.

agree

For the first half of my F1 fandom there was no refueling, then it was introduced. The introduction of refueling was one change that the FIA made in all my years of following F1 that actually improved the spectacle for me (more tactical, a greater variety of strategies available, winning racing in a quicker time, cars moving ****ing fast and jumping around rather than a slugish first half to the race as drivers contended with tanks). I remember thinking that refuelling had improvedF1 in so many ways. And now, the FIA has decided to undo one of the few good things they've done over the years.

F1 should be about going faster than anyone else. If being fastest includes pitting for fuel and tyres (which it does), then that's what they should be doing. Next year, pit stops will all be of the same length. Strategies will all be basically the same (slightly different due to tyre degredation differing from car to car) and the racing will be more boring than ever. Heavy fuel loads will make overtaking harder too.

Martin Brundle agrees with me too - he drove cars without refuelling and with - he should know.

EDIT - just checked that last fact and yes I was right - Brundle drove 92-96 refuelling was reintroduced in 94. ;)

by the way - refueling was first introduced in 82 by Ecclestone at Brabham when they figured out that they could run the race faster by refueling (there were no rules about that back then). Refueling was then banned in the late 80's before being reintroduced in 94. Now they're ditching it again - idiots.

If my memory is correct, didn't we have no refueling in the 80s? And the result was they added refuelling to spice up the races?

All the FIA is make one stupid rule decision after another, then backtrack and do the exact opposite. Slick Tyres, Groove Tyres, Slick Tyres. Or raise the front wing, lower the front wing.

F*ck the FIA. There constant meddleing is atrocious. The rule changes are costing the teams hundreds of millions of dollars, and for what. Apart from the change to have engines and transmissions last for X number of races, not one of their ideas has actually saved the sport and teams money.

And the golden egg... testing. In what other sport can you NOT test as a driver, or in sport in general, practice what you do to learn and get better.

Thank God for the drivers I do support, because if they were not in F1, I would be more than happy to see the 30sec highlight reel on the nightly news.

I think the no refuelling rule may be good for the sport, as now for a change the drivers will have to build up the courage to actually pass for position ON THE TRACK instead of some nerd in the pitlane working out fuel strategies on a computer for him. That was the case when refualling wasn't allowed up until 1993.

I do think as a whole though the FIA are really bad for the sport the their rules regarding the wing changes in 2009 have done pretty much nothing but make the cars look out of proportion. The Singapore grand prix showed us that the new wings definitely don't help with passing!

As for my prediction for 2010, I'd like to see Kimi in the Mclaren giving Hamilton a good run for his money while im sure Alonso will handle Massa at Ferrari. Those two teams have got to be the pick of the bunch, although the ever improving Adrian Newey Red Bull with the ever improving Vettel could well be a dark horse!

I think the no refuelling rule may be good for the sport, as now for a change the drivers will have to build up the courage to actually pass for position ON THE TRACK instead of some nerd in the pitlane working out fuel strategies on a computer for him. That was the case when refualling wasn't allowed up until 1993.

I do think as a whole though the FIA are really bad for the sport the their rules regarding the wing changes in 2009 have done pretty much nothing but make the cars look out of proportion. The Singapore grand prix showed us that the new wings definitely don't help with passing!

Not sure I share your view on this. It's not a lack of determination or skill that F1 drivers cannot pass each other. There's a very real and fundamental program why they cannot pass. Remember the cars are going to be heavier than ever before, thus making it even more difficult to pass. Now earning a pole position on some tracks will pretty much guarantee you a win. F1 drivers don't lack the balls, courage or have the kinds of fears you and I do. They are a different breed.

What is happening here has nothing to do with trying to get more on track passing action. This rule change is rooted in cost savings and other such folies.

Teh problem here is that you will not have weigh difference to use in your favor to pass the car in front, everyone will start the race with full fuel tanks, if you screw in qualification then your done, you'll be stuck behind someone until someone's tire gives up, maybe I am wrong but with today's rules I don't see refueling banning as a good idea, but if the cars are somehow able to pass then the whole thing change.

As for my prediction for 2010, I'd like to see Kimi in the Mclaren giving Hamilton a good run for his money while im sure Alonso will handle Massa at Ferrari. Those two teams have got to be the pick of the bunch, although the ever improving Adrian Newey Red Bull with the ever improving Vettel could well be a dark horse!

you see the way you talk? Kimi giving a run for his money to Hamilton and Alonso handling Massa, I saw a news/report where the writer said that "Alonso will dispose of Massa" creating a vacancy in the team that could be taken by Kubica but that it is yet to be seen :naughty: I said that Massa didn't remember his accident so he won't have any mental side effect of this, he just gave me reason yesterday when he said "it is like the accident never happened" so yes, Alonso is doomed to fail unless Ferrari give him the number one treatment form the beggining.

Not sure I share your view on this. It's not a lack of determination or skill that F1 drivers cannot pass each other. There's a very real and fundamental program why they cannot pass. Remember the cars are going to be heavier than ever before, thus making it even more difficult to pass. Now earning a pole position on some tracks will pretty much guarantee you a win. F1 drivers don't lack the balls, courage or have the kinds of fears you and I do. They are a different breed.

What is happening here has nothing to do with trying to get more on track passing action. This rule change is rooted in cost savings and other such folies.

Now we have to see how the fuel/tire conservation plays in this equation, Prost was called the Professor because he was very good in those aspects and even him failed to finish a race because of running out of fuel.

Ithink the no refuelling rule may be good for the sport, as now for achange the drivers will have to build up the courage to actually passfor position ON THE TRACK instead of some nerd in the pitlane workingout fuel strategies on a computer for him. That was the case whenrefualling wasn't allowed up until 1993.

I do think as a wholethough the FIA are really bad for the sport the their rules regardingthe wing changes in 2009 have done pretty much nothing but make thecars look out of proportion. The Singapore grand prix showed us thatthe new wings definitely don't help with passing!

As one who remembers races without refuelling very well, I'll say this - don't hold your hopes up.

Keeping a tank on the road is hard enough - passing cars of exactly the same weight even harder.

Refuelling was introduced to spice things up after 2 very boring seasons in which there was very little on track overtaking.

If anyone thinks that this will increase overtaking they are mistaken - it will make little difference.

If people are so in love with overtaking, then do away with qually and simply rotate everyone's positions on the grid throughout the season. Fair and easy. Is that what people really want to see? Personally I don't.

I'm not saying there's anyting wrong with liking overtaking - I like it - but let's get things in proportion.

There are two issues with all the continual FIA regulation changes...

1) They won't increase overtaking - they never have, they never will - the way the grid is formed means little overtaking in the race - that's the way F1 works. Take KERS - yes the car behind may have it, but so may the car in front. Take decreasing aero - yes the car behind has cleaner air, but then again it has less aero downforce of its own to help glue it to the track. It's all silly - let the designers buildcars that go as fast as possible with a very simple and easily inforcable set of regs.

2) What the FIA does achieve (quite deliberately) is a change of the top teams from year to year by moving the goalposts (obviously). Last year's research goes out of the window and midfield teams get a chance to catch up and compete (especially when they start developing mid-season for next year). This is good for the spectacle and media, but leads to a lot of unneccesary costs and cars that are a long way from the perfect driving machines that F1 should be all about building.

Why people keep falling for this 'the new rules will help overtaking' bollocks, I'll never know.

Once upon a time there was no refuelling... then the FIA made a stupid decision: cars must use no more than 225 liters per GP and then 200 and 180... and that

by the way - refueling was first introduced in 82 by Ecclestone at Brabham when they figured out that they could run the race faster by refueling (there were no rules about that back then). Refueling was then banned in the late 80's before being reintroduced in 94. Now they're ditching it again - idiots.

Once upon a time there was no refuelling... then the FIA made a stupid decision: cars must use no more than 225 liters per GP and then 200 and 180... and that

No refuelling might bring some unexpected interesting situations, it might spice up the races until every team get used to the new situation and FIA could invent something. I don't think we'll see more overtakings on track and driver will be able to enter a lap earlier if they have got a good gap an nothing will happen. So it looks pointless but on the other hand it could bring some unexpected events.

Teh problem here is that you will not have weigh difference to use in your favor to pass the car in front, everyone will start the race with full fuel tanks, if you screw in qualification then your done, you'll be stuck behind someone until someone's tire gives up, maybe I am wrong but with today's rules I don't see refueling banning as a good idea, but if the cars are somehow able to pass then the whole thing change.

I agree. I don't see how banning refuelling will increase overtaking. Perhaps towards the end of a race/stint it will mean that some drivers can pass others, providing they have been able to manage their tyres better - but I don't see that happening much for the reasons below.

... but my version is far more "poetic"...:D

Nevertheles, i don