Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

2010 Driver/Team Prediction Thread

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the team to beat in 2010?

• Ferrari
    • Mclaren
    • Red Bull
    • Renault
    • Brawn
    • Williams
    • Toyota
    • The FIA

Forget about the past, when it was introduced and scraped blah blah......lets see how the teams and drivers react to this situation.

Having the best engine and not good aero or vice versa will not help...having both Aero and Engine which are the best and then having a driver who is quite heavy footed may not help.....drivers like Nando and Lewis are usually quick to adapt to a change...these two will cope well, but Ferrari are known to have a thirsty engine, Macca, who knows if they bring out another crappy chassis..Brawns still have a chance to be dominant next season...with already good backing and soon to be partnered by Mercedes, and a smooth driver like Jenson may acutally work in their favour once more...:(

Forget about the past, when it was introduced and scraped blah blah......lets see how the teams and drivers react to this situation.

Having the best engine and not good aero or vice versa will not help...having both Aero and Engine which are the best and then having a driver who is quite heavy footed may not help.....drivers like Nando and Lewis are usually quick to adapt to a change...these two will cope well, but Ferrari are known to have a thirsty engine, Macca, who knows if they bring out another crappy chassis..Brawns still have a chance to be dominant next season...with already good backing and soon to be partnered by Mercedes, and a smooth driver like Jenson may acutally work in their favour once more...:(

That means Ferrari if they don't fix this issue, will need a heavier car to make it to the end of the race and they may have a hard time because of this next season, one thing that I still don't know is if they are going to qualify with full fuel tank or not, that may be crucial to understand what may happen in 2010.

:lol:

Yes - but one could say - he only had to win at the slowest pace possible, because he couldn't drive that fast.:P

Actually I always understood him to mean that he could win even in a slower car - for which he did have great skill.

Fangio also said, "Everything has changed. When I was at school and wastold I had better learn English, I said: What for? The English are ahell of a long way away!" :P

But anyway - your quote is a poor argument for no refuelling.

I could quote the many drivers (including Fangio) who have talked aboutgoing fast - it wouldn't constitute a valid argument - sorry.

It seems you didn

It seems you didn´t understand my point: is far easier to go simply as fast as you can than manage fuel loads and tyre degradatian during a race trying go faster than the others drivers/cars. To do that you need some strategic mental skills some drivers (e.g Hamilton) lacks.

Regarding Fangio, he said "slower" because he was an excellent mechanic and always took care of his car in an era where realiability was very poor. In his point of view it is very silly go as fast as you can (e.g. Gilles Villenueve) if you don´t see the chequered flag.

Nevertheles, I´ve saw today drivers refuelling and changing tyres and saying " it was very difficult to drive the car with one stop strategy and heavy fuel load" So now I want them drive like a truckmen!!!!!

:rolleyes: It's not a difficult point to understand my friend - I just don't find it relavant to refuelling.

If you want a sensible answer then I'll add this...

I'm a tech fan. I think that the teams should be building the best cars that they possibly can in order to go fast and be reliable. That is their job.

If they do their job correctly, then who do they need in the c#ckpit? Someone who can drive fast. Not someone who had Fangio's undoubted skill of nursing the car to the finishing line. Times have changed my friend, and I place more interest in seeing drivers who can go faster than anyone else. With the reliability of today's cars, who needs a Fangio? - sad, but true.

Fangio was a great driver. The greatest of his era. But that's the point - 'of his era'. I still love watching his races and his driving style, but I wouldn't want to see a grid full of Fangio's driving today's cars. It just wouldn't entertain me.

Fangio would have beaten Senna in 1950's cars, Senna would have beaten Fangio in 1980-90's cars. Simple.

I agree that it takes skill to handle a heavy car. But then why do we value that skill over going fast in a lighter one? There's no logical reason for that desire other than that it's not what drivers have to do now, so we want to see them handle it. Once we (and they) get used to that, we'll be saying, "let's add refuelling in to spice things up a bit, this tank racing is getting boring".

Once again - Fangio's brilliance is simply not a good argument for banning refuelling.

And once again, I could dig out quotes from virtually every driver through history (including Fangio) about the need, desire, glory, skill, feeling of going faster than anyone else.

If long, slow and paced racing's what you want, I suggest you watch 24 hr le Mans - or London marathon. :D

Nico and Hamilton would make those mistakes with or without refuelling - no difference.

As for loving you? - aww shucks - :wub:

I will never see the london marathon; perhaps I

I will never see the london marathon; perhaps I´ll run it some day! ;) Just to see Hami and Nico making mistakes drinking water/gatorade!

(by the way LeMans is so slow the LMP1 cars hit almost 400 km/h vs 320/330 the F1 hit once a year!)

...and yes i still love you!!!!:P

thank you! - you see - even le mans has the right idea - go fast :P

I think I should come clean - I'm not nearly as good looking as you're imagining - I would be willing to shave my legs for a small fee though.

thank you! - you see - even le mans has the right idea - go fast :P

I think I should come clean - I'm not nearly as good looking as you're imagining - I would be willing to shave my legs for a small fee though.

I love ypou in platonic way as a friend but better if you come shaved!

I will never see the london marathon; perhaps I´ll run it some day! ;) Just to see Hami and Nico making mistakes drinking water/gatorade!

(by the way LeMans is so slow the LMP1 cars hit almost 400 km/h vs 320/330 the F1 hit once a year!)

...and yes i still love you!!!!:P

Amen to that! I prefer Le Mans over F1 but I prefer TALKING about F1 over Le Mans.

Amen to that! I prefer Le Mans over F1 but I prefer TALKING about F1 over Le Mans.

Same, especially to people cos they know nothing about sportscar racing!

And we call F1 pinnacle of motorsport :nono1: can I see LeMans races on Speed?

LMP racing is great, but Argento's only talking about top speed. While an LMP1 chassis, much like an IndyCar, can reach a higher top speed, it cannot complete a lap anywhere near as quick as an F1 car. The LMP1 Aston was about 13 seconds per lap slower at Silverstone than the pole time for the British Grand Prix. It was dry for both sessions, so even if you factor in any other differing conditions, it's still a huge gap.

SPEED shows the American Le Mans Series and the 24 Heures du Mans. No Le Mans Series, though.

And we call F1 pinnacle of motorsport :nono1: can I see LeMans races on Speed?

The majority of ALMS raced are covered by Speed but it was announced that next year, CBS will broadcast coverage of a few races!

Even if that fails, there are normally sites such as Justin.tv that means you can watch online.

[quote name='mikathegreat2' date='24 October 2009 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1256389685' post='301715']
The majority of ALMS raced are covered by Speed but it was announced that next year, CBS will broadcast coverage of a few races!
[/quote]

Really?

Crap.

CBS usually means Ralph Sheheen, who used to call the F1 on CBS.

He said "Michael Schumacher lives for this" at least twice per lap in the final 10 or so laps of the San Marino Grand Prix in 2006. And his voice is squeaky and obnoxious. Playing a George Michael Greatest Hits CD for the audio of the race broadcast would be less annoying, and probably offer more insight.

Playing a George Michael Greatest Hits CD for the audio of the race broadcast would be less annoying, and probably offer more insight.

:naughty: You can never stop using the word George in your posts, I have noticed....

:naughty: You can never stop using the word George in your posts, I have noticed....

I promise I won't bring his name up in this post.

I'm about to hit submit. By George, I think I've done it.

when the porsche 917 hit the tracks their laps times were faster than those days F1s. Those days both categories had a very strong competition for money and asistance and were at the the front edge of the tech. Nowadays things are very different. Many series -like ALMS or LMS- are taking advantage of the tech liked from F1.

If you enjoy F1, you'll enjoy sports car racing too.

If that was the case, sports car racing would get better television viewership. The 24 Hours of Le Mans isn't among the 10 most-watched annual sporting events in the world (one per league); the Brazilian Grand Prix comes in around the top five, the Daytona 500 near the bottom of the 10, World Cup final is always number one in a World Cup year, if not the UEFA final is numero uno, Super Bowl right behind that, NBA finals make the top ten, too, and some other stuff. Le Mans and Indy 500 aren't on it.

I like sports car racing, but I wouldn't be making that kind of guarantee. Admittedly, you would think F1 and Le Mans would go together a bit like NASCAR and inbreeding, but...

I never mentioned popularity. However sports car racing viewing figures are on the up (or at least on this side of the world) I just thought he'd be interesting to see what the racing would be like. It is arguable that there is more on track action in a ALMS/LMS race than there is in an F1 race, so....

(or at least on this side of the world)

I never mentioned sides of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono1:::angry:::blowup:

All I was saying was that it's not a guarantee that if you like F1, you also like Le Mans. I like sports car racing. It's going to be okay.