Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yurp

Fia Vote

T or V  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Read all 4 options...

• Todt is better AND Todt will win
    • Todt is better BUT Vatanen will win
    • Vatanen is better AND Vatanen will win
    • Vatanen is better BUT Todt will win

Time will tell. I like the commissioner idea. But if it turns out to be Donnelly for F1 then we're all doomed.

I'm happy with the result. Something just didn't seem right to me as Vatanen as president. I prefered Todt for the president, so as I say, I'm happy.

40 years ago, general Francisco Franco (Spanish fascist dictator) appointed Prince Juan Carlos to be his successor as head of Spanish state. After Franco's death in 1975. monarchy was restored with King Juan Carlos as head of state and Spain went in the direction of democracy and human rights. So successors do not need to continue policy even if chosen by incumbent dictators.

A beautifully crafted but rather careful taste of history.

One need only to look at why the King later supported 'democracy and human rights' to know that he didn't really want to.

While you're at it - check why exactly Franco chose to support the Princes asperations.

Don't trust me people - look it up - a fascinating part of European history.

...but yes - not to be facetious - one could argue that the result is what matters all the same - and on that count the parallels could hold true - let's hope so.

;)

Well, I'll tell you how I feel about Todt once he's done anything, but I really don't think he'll be much better. He'll likely reverse Mosely's 2011 regs that explicitly state intentions of making F1 more like NASCAR, and if he is to do that, I'll be very pleased. I just hope to see a return to innovation, a continued focus on safety, and a lack of bias. I think he's somewhat interested in the first but not really, interested in the second, and not the least bit bothered about the third. Time will tell, but when Michael Schumacher, Nigel Stepney, Rory Byrne, Luca Badoer, and Nicolas Todt are the stewards, I won't be thrilled.

This may be an F1 forum, but I do hope Todt realizes the FIA is more than just F1 as far as sport goes. WRC could use some love, especially now that us Yanks got it back on TV (in zomgawesomeHD).

That's true, Eric, I remember that the first time I got interested in learning a bit about WRC the news I found were that they were in conflict with FIA.

Not surprising Mr. Toad won: Vatanen was barely understandable to any english-speaking person.

Now, how good will Mr. Toad be? I don't know. There's an argument to be made that Mr. Toad puts himself fully behind the job he's doing. Sure he was known for fighting 100% for Ferrari's interests, but that was his job, right? He did that job well. Now he's head of the FIA and I think Mr. Toad will throw himself into the role with as much zeal as he did heading Ferrari F1. The biggest challenge I see for him isn't remaining unbiased, but keeping the stewards from dominating the show. Mr Toad has an unnatural love of rules and that may translate into his stewards becoming more active at each race. This would be bad.

Todt won.

T.o.d.t w.o.n.

T*o*d*t w*o*n.

Todt won?

Todt won! Todt. Todt won!!!!!

Won, won, won. W.O.O.O.O.NNNN!!!!!!

secret.gif

We knew he would won 8 months ago.

Who won?

Todt's record speaks for itself, but let's not forget, the task facing him is quite different from what he has achieved before. When he was in charge of Peugeot's rally effort, or Ferrari, his primary objective was to win. I don't know the intricacies of his plans for achieving that but a driven dose of ruthlessness may have surely figured. Being in charge of the FIA has its own set of unique requirements and we know from recent history that one of those is going to have to be diplomacy. I'm not suggesting that Todt does not have the skill set to keep the peace, he probably does, but it may just be that changing the way that he operates fundamentally as a team boss is going to be just as key to his success as it is to dispelling any myths about him potentially favouring Marnello.

For FIA, you can now read - Ferrari Is Almighty.

Kinda agree with you, considering how things were done in the past, favouring one particular team in the name of its historical value and crap. As long as it all remains fair, I don't mind if its the Todt or frog who runs the FIA.

that's bs. I find it terribly irritating these days to hear people thinking todt would compromise his new position and the credibility people put on him over the years to openly defend. the years pass and what you hear from the experts remain same, 'burn max, 'ferrari = fia' and 'bernie is nuts'. i do agree some teams get some small little 'advantages' over fia, but only in order to keep things going, relatively to their importance in the whole thing. in the end, if we lose ferrari, we lost 60% of the fans, consequentially 60% of the money, and bla bla bla... it's like when we had renault on courts and some people yelled 'ban them'. ban them and get more half thousand people unemployed, i say. may sound a bit disappointing to say, but things are not that easy to handle so that democracy and equality should be the solution.

that's bs. I find it terribly irritating these days to hear people thinking todt would compromise his new position and the credibility people put on him over the years to openly defend. the years pass and what you hear from the experts remain same, 'burn max, 'ferrari = fia' and 'bernie is nuts'. i do agree some teams get some small little 'advantages' over fia, but only in order to keep things going, relatively to their importance in the whole thing. in the end, if we lose ferrari, we lost 60% of the fans, consequentially 60% of the money, and bla bla bla... it's like when we had renault on courts and some people yelled 'ban them'. ban them and get more half thousand people unemployed, i say. may sound a bit disappointing to say, but things are not that easy to handle so that democracy and equality should be the solution.

Didn't you say that you do not believe in democracy? :P

Anyways, "advantages", small as they might be are something FIA should not be concerned about as it is not its duty to keep up the F1 "business". FIA is there to make rules and enforce them, FOM is out there to take care of the business. Todt's record is as squeaky clean as Briatore's...enough said ;)

Even as a Ferrari manager, the fact that he vetoed Alonso's hiring for many years just because he felt Nando had betrayed him shows that he wasn't even that great as a Ferrari manager, either.

That said, I give you that the Toad seems brighter than Max, Mosley always seemed a rather stupid guy, whose only virtue was a mix of a total lack of scruples, a giant ego and Bernie's support.

Didn't you say that you do not believe in democracy? :P

Anyways, "advantages", small as they might be are something FIA should not be concerned about as it is not its duty to keep up the F1 "business". FIA is there to make rules and enforce them, FOM is out there to take care of the business. Todt's record is as squeaky clean as Briatore's...enough said ;)

Even as a Ferrari manager, the fact that he vetoed Alonso's hiring for many years just because he felt Nando had betrayed him shows that he wasn't even that great as a Ferrari manager, either.

That said, I give you that the Toad seems brighter than Max, Mosley always seemed a rather stupid guy, whose only virtue was a mix of a total lack of scruples, a giant ego and Bernie's support.

its exactly what i said lol. things are not simple enough to be handled with democracy ;)

hahahahahah when you say toad i cant help thinking super-mario-bros-toad.jpg

its exactly what i said lol. things are not simple enough to be handled with democracy ;)

hahahahahah when you say toad i cant help thinking super-mario-bros-toad.jpg

Ahh...now I understood your last paragraph. Geez, I am getting the "give an angry reply despite haven't understood the original post" virus!

About hiring Alonso, let's wait and see. It could go either way. Todt was most successful Ferrari manager in 60 years of Ferrari racing.

About hiring Alonso, let's wait and see. It could go either way. Todt was most successful Ferrari manager in 60 years of Ferrari racing.

I am not questioning the results, but his reasons. He didn't refuse Alonso because he didnt think he would fit at ferrari or anything but because he felt "betrayed"

I am not questioning the results, but his reasons. He didn't refuse Alonso because he didnt think he would fit at ferrari or anything but because he felt "betrayed"

could you explain a little more about that betrayal for those like me who don't know anything about it?

Who knows what I am missing about Alonso, I mean I could have another reason to attack him

Fcking mickey mouse would've been better than Todt.

Tragedy continues to be the theme for F1.

Hey it's not so bad! Only when I see him ruin the lives of McLaren by fining them

Fcking mickey mouse would've been better than Todt.

Tragedy continues to be the theme for F1.

I'm not so sure about that. Mickey Mouse is a mouse. Mice do not have a reputation for running governing bodies particuarly well. Their automotive knowledge is patchy apart form an intimate knowledge of minnies.

Although Todt is French, short, ugly, hanging out with a Japanese woman and having French, short ugly man-sex with Michael Schumacher, he is still better qualified to make difficult decisions for the FIA than a cartoon mouse.

Road-runner or Penelope Pitstop, however, are a different story again.

could you explain a little more about that betrayal for those like me who don't know anything about it?

Who knows what I am missing about Alonso, I mean I could have another reason to attack him

No problem. A little of ancient history :). In 2000, Alonso won his only race at Spa in F3000. The prize was a test drive for Minardi. Mr.Minardi loved the kid (in a platonic way, unlike Ron and Lewis :P) and hired him to race for his team. Minardi was a team already heading for bankruptcy and by the end of 2001 Giancarlo Minardi was desperate for money so he sold the most thing he had: Nando :). Ferrari, via Todt, offered him instantly a 5 year contract. Adrian Campos (his manager) was delighted and came to a verbal agreement with Todt. After all, the kid was going from nowhere to Ferrari in record time. But Nando said no and accepted Flavio's offer. Todt was furious and said the famous phrase that repeated years later: "As long as I am in charge at Ferrari, Alonso won't race there". And if something you have to give to Todt, is that he kept that promise :)

An added curiosity: during that 2001 year, at a press conference, Minardi and Todt were together at one moment. "You have only one thing I am interested about" said Todt. "You could have had him if only you had called me", said Giancarlo. "It doesn't matter. We will buy him whenever we want him", replied Jean. And they did.

(Oh, and they were talking about Nando, you filthy minded b#####ds!)

No problem. A little of ancient history :). In 2000, Alonso won his only race at Spa in F3000. The prize was a test drive for Minardi. Mr.Minardi loved the kid (in a platonic way, unlike Ron and Lewis :P) and hired him to race for his team. Minardi was a team already heading for bankruptcy and by the end of 2001 Giancarlo Minardi was desperate for money so he sold the most thing he had: Nando :). Ferrari, via Todt, offered him instantly a 5 year contract. Adrian Campos (his manager) was delighted and came to a verbal agreement with Todt. After all, the kid was going from nowhere to Ferrari in record time. But Nando said no and accepted Flavio's offer. Todt was furious and said the famous phrase that repeated years later: "As long as I am in charge at Ferrari, Alonso won't race there". And if something you have to give to Todt, is that he kept that promise :)

An added curiosity: during that 2001 year, at a press conference, Minardi and Todt were together at one moment. "You have only one thing I am interested about" said Todt. "You could have had him if only you had called me", said Giancarlo. "It doesn't matter. We will buy him whenever we want him", replied Jean. And they did.

(Oh, and they were talking about Nando, you filthy minded b#####ds!)

That's interesting!

i didn't know that!

Of course with Briatore as his manager, no wonder he ended up in Renault!

So it seems the Ferrari-Alonso combination was being planned for quite a while! He wasn't "drafted in" to replace Kimi then!

I agree with everyone else, Todt: more competent, better candidate if not for bias concerns; Vatanen: better for the sport, an end to the current regime.

I expect Todt to win because it seems to me the FIA is rotten to the absolute core - whoever is supported by the incumbent President is much more likely to win.

I'm not entirely convinced that Todt would be an extension of Mosley's leadership though (Todt never seemed like anyone's bitch to me, far too smart). I think he has made a big mistake by using Mosley's team of people to campaign - it just added to the idea that he would be a continuation of Max's regime.

I have the same feeling, Todt is his own man. I think he knew that getting the post would involve using Max but I am not so sure as to how much he really is like Max. He is one of the most accomplished and experienced people In motor sport. He has F1 Rally and Le Mans experiance and in each sport he and his teams succeeded. People only really remember the F1 stuff but in the late 80's with Peguet he was killer in Rally.

Also, I'm not so convinced about the whole Ferrari bias. If you remember Todt was pushed out of Ferrari bi LDM because LDM did not want a Frenchman at the top but rather an Italian. And Todt's leaving of Ferrari was not as amicable a split as both parties make it out to be. Brawn was already on his way out, MS was going so there was no need for Todt, he moved up the chain for one year and then he too left.

I think if anything, the election of Todt will mean the end of Max's stupid ideas of changing the rules every year for no reason at all, and maybe actually have rules that make sense.