Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Teams & Drivers 2010

even though they have merc supply.......it's only vodafone mclaren now i assume....

The team's official name will remain Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

Well if this is all done and dusted - what a turn up for the books!

Looks like Rosberg & Heidfeld have done extremely well based primarily on their nationality. And that either Kimi or Button will end up without a top tier seat.

Slings and arrows eh.

EDIT - to be fair - they were pretty sure of signing Rosberg before all this happened, so perhaps he's there more on merit.

"We are speaking with Nick Heidfeld as well," Haug told the German news agency GPA.

"Mercedes-Benz supports the idea of signing an experienced and capable German driver. There is however no reason to finalise the driversituation too hastily."

This would bug me if it was a British company wanting to sign a capable British driver too.

Why not just a capable driver?

I know that in the real world people act, buy, support etc on a nationalistic basis, but it still saddens me that that's the case. It also saddens me to see intelligent people pandering to that 'he's one of us' mentality.

hahahahahahaha did anyone buy brawngp merchandising? lol ^^ i'd be damn p**sed off by now if i did...

hahahahahahaha did anyone buy brawngp merchandising? lol ^^ i'd be damn p**sed off by now if i did...

:lol:

oh - hang on - it'll probably be worth something in a few years :eusa_think:

:lol:

oh - hang on - it'll probably be worth something in a few years :eusa_think:

mum wanted a rubens cap. i'm waiting for the sale so she has a xmas gift hahahahahaha

Jenson sacrifices everything to stay at Brawn, wins the WDC and gets a kick in the teeth for it. Nice people he's working with. Great manager too.

Of all people here I think you (with first hand experience) should be aware what kind of business is show business like Formula 1. It is not about fairness, it is about making money and getting results. As I said somewhere before, Button is not so special in F1. There are few drivers with equal capabilities so there is no reason to fight for his services fiercely if another guy can be contracted for less. Number 1 on the car does not have so much impact on anything. It is often problem to read number on current car designs.

I know that in the real world people act, buy, support etc on a nationalistic basis, but it still saddens me that that's the case. It also saddens me to see intelligent people pandering to that 'he's one of us' mentality.

I think that has promotional reasons, and not "us and them".

BTW, there is another team with Mercedes engine that would be perfect for Nick - Force India. :)

I think that has promotional reasons, and not "us and them".

errrm - you've missed my point - it's promotion based on 'us vs them'...

Let me explain

Why would you promote a team by saying 'we have 2 capable German drivers'?

And...

Who would you be promoting the team to, by using such a line?

You would be promoting that team to German people who think that 'he's one of us' is in some way important.

By saying this Haug is pandering to nationalistic small-mindedness.

As I say - If it were a British team selling itself to me on the basis of having 2 capable British drivers, I would be equally saddened.

**** Mercedes for wanting an all German team!

I CANT BELIEVE I AM GOING TO BE SUPPORTING MCLAREN NEXT YEAR! THIS ****ING SUCKS!

errrm - you've missed my point - it's promotion based on 'us vs them'...

Let me explain

Why would you promote a team by saying 'we have 2 capable German drivers'?

And...

Who would you be promoting the team to, by using such a line?

You would be promoting that team to German people who think that 'he's one of us' is in some way important.

By saying this Haug is pandering to nationalistic small-mindedness.

As I say - If it were a British team selling itself to me on the basis of having 2 capable British drivers, I would be equally saddened.

It is missinterpretation. Here are actual words by Haug!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80175

Mercedes drivers to be named soon"I have every understanding that all of the people who are interested in Formula One worldwide will want to know who the drivers are now; it's not finally decided but I think, I hope, that we can announce something in the course of the next couple of weeks - we will do a very good job in that respect as well, I promise you, and maybe we can create some surprises."

Souce

Here is the same team talking about surprise at the driver announcement, first it was Brawn who talk about an impact in the announcement now it is Haug, but the thing is, if they are going to hire one of those rumored to go there drivers there will be no impact/surprise and I am starting to believe that they are really going to surprise with at least one of their drivers.

Of all people here I think you (with first hand experience) should be aware what kind of business is show business like Formula 1. It is not about fairness, it is about making money and getting results. As I said somewhere before, Button is not so special in F1. There are few drivers with equal capabilities so there is no reason to fight for his services fiercely if another guy can be contracted for less. Number 1 on the car does not have so much impact on anything. It is often problem to read number on current car designs.

I have had to consider my reply very, very carefully. I was not asking for fairness on Button's behalf rather, a recognition of a huge flaw in the integrity of a man one felt they could set their watch by. Ross Brawn had me on the edge of tears as he dedicated Brawn's WCC triumph to 'all those we had to let go' - the 300 staff that were severed from the team after helping produce the BGP001. After today, I wouldn't check my hat with him. Sure, I've been bushwhacked many times in my life but, I have to tell you - you never get used to it. Button IS very special in Formula 1. When you've made horrific misjudgments, constantly battled with legions of demons in your head, been dealt some of the worst hands at the table and still come back, against all expectations and take the WDC in your tenth year in the sport, then you are very, very special indeed. You know what? I don't care who thinks I'm a dummy for saying so too.

"Ross Brawn had me on the edge of tears as he dedicated Brawn's WCCtriumph to 'all those we had to let go' - the 300 staff that weresevered from the team after helping produce the BGP0012

One of the most demagogic quotes I

Jenson sacrifices everything to stay at Brawn, wins the WDC and gets a kick in the teeth for it. Nice people he's working with. Great manager too.

What did Jenson sacrifice? To me, sacrifice is like fighting for your country whilst your wife and child are at home. Or putting your house on the line in order to put your money where your mouth is to pursue a business dream. Millionaire, Jenson Button sacrificed nothing.

I have had to consider my reply very, very carefully. I was not asking for fairness on Button's behalf rather, a recognition of a huge flaw in the integrity of a man one felt they could set their watch by. Ross Brawn had me on the edge of tears as he dedicated Brawn's WCC triumph to 'all those we had to let go' - the 300 staff that were severed from the team after helping produce the BGP001. After today, I wouldn't check my hat with him. Sure, I've been bushwhacked many times in my life but, I have to tell you - you never get used to it. Button IS very special in Formula 1. When you've made horrific misjudgments, constantly battled with legions of demons in your head, been dealt some of the worst hands at the table and still come back, against all expectations and take the WDC in your tenth year in the sport, then you are very, very special indeed. You know what? I don't care who thinks I'm a dummy for saying so too.

Your opinion of Button is unfairly clouding your judgement of Ross Brawn and the decision he has made.

What did Jenson sacrifice? To me, sacrifice is like fighting for your country whilst your wife and child are at home. Or putting your house on the line in order to put your money where your mouth is to pursue a business dream. Millionaire, Jenson Button sacrificed nothing.

Your opinion of Button is unfairly clouding your judgement of Ross Brawn and the decision he has made.

It's based on money - right? Am I clear?

Merc GP Rosberg / Heidfeld

Macca Hamilton / Button

And where will go kimi?

i know this one, i know this one! home?

Am I clear?

Not really. You rate Button highly. Ross Brawn doesn't rate him highly enough to retain him but you are convinced he has suddenly had a complete removal of integrity and couldn't possibly be doing this for a sound reason. Right?

You are clearly very emotional about Button. I respect that. I do not believe Ross Brawn is bad. One can be cynical and call Brawn ruthless or demagogic or whatever. He is doing what he feels is right at the moment. He thought that would be nice to dedicate victory to "all those...". On the other occasion he is being tough negotiating with Jenson believing that it is right thing to do to make sure team pays everyone exactly as much as absolutely necessary. That approach made sure that BGP had enough money to last complete 2009. season and start working on next.

Huge difference is that dedicating victory to "all those..." does not cost money and made few hundred people happy. Negotiating with Button costs money and can ultimately make happy only one man and his family.

Merc GP Rosberg / Heidfeld

Macca Hamilton / Button

And where will go kimi?

To Finland or should I say Finlandia :)

i know this one, i know this one! home?

nope, he said he will definetelly will be driving something in 2010, that doesn't mean a F1 but something, he could be even racing at Nascar if he wants he said and if he really wants to be in Formula 1 in 2010 he'll be there but the point is that we don't know how badly does he wants a F1 drive, it looks like not much, he wants to fight for the title in F1, he is not interested in developing any team and wasted half of the season developing a car that ultimately it won help him to fight for the title because he si already too far below in the points.

nope, he said he will definetelly will be driving something in 2010, that doesn't mean a F1 but something, he could be even racing at Nascar if he wants he said and if he really wants to be in Formula 1 in 2010 he'll be there but the point is that we don't know how badly does he wants a F1 drive, it looks like not much, he wants to fight for the title in F1, he is not interested in developing any team and wasted half of the season developing a car that ultimately it won help him to fight for the title because he si already too far below in the points.

Sounds like he just wants it handed to him on a plate then? You reap what you sow.

Sounds like he just wants it handed to him on a plate then? You reap what you sow.

Maybe, but he doesn't need to go throught that part, he is just driving for fun, he doesn't need to probe anything and he can do whatever he wants even quit F1 in he doesn't find the idea team with the idea car and that's ok, he doesn't have to drive in a bad car just because we need/want to see if he can take that team/car to a better level, I agree with him that he has so many other things that he could be doing instead of getting annoyed everytime someone passes him and specially listening to the press and forum menbers like us(including me of course) talking about his motivation and that he is slow without having the slightest idea of what's really happening with him, I really think anyone in his position will be better out of F1 but I would like him to stay if he is going to be in a top team with a good car otherwise I'll root for Massa or Hamilton. :P

Maybe, but he doesn't need to go throught that part, he is just driving for fun, he doesn't need to probe anything and he can do whatever he wants even quit F1 in he doesn't find the idea team with the idea car and that's ok, he doesn't have to drive in a bad car just because we need/want to see if he can take that team/car to a better level, I agree with him that he has so many other things that he could be doing instead of getting annoyed everytime someone passes him and specially listening to the press and forum menbers like us(including me of course) talking about his motivation and that he is slow without having the slightest idea of what's really happening with him, I really think anyone in his position will be better out of F1 but I would like him to stay if he is going to be in a top team with a good car otherwise I'll root for Massa or Hamilton. :P

How do you justify and defend his prescence in F1, admitting all that you have. Kimi is a waster. So he's slow for some mistifying reason that only his real fans who truely understand him know about? What, are you all in the same Smirnoff purchase syndicate? Do me a favour. You can only defend this half hearted waste of space for so long. You only want to support him if he's in a great car? How shallow is that?