Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Teams & Drivers 2010

The cause of the continuing parish-pump prattle surrounding MGP's second pilot is either an elaborate smokescreen, designed to deflect the impact of the Button defection, [with Schumacher's willing collusion? - I think not] or the most ham-fisted and futile attempt I have ever seen, to shroud driver selection in secrecy. OK, there are those in the Press tent who believe if the Red baron does not return to F1 in a new silver triplane, the seat will be filled by Heidfeld or Kubica, [if Renault's new owners dump him]. I firmly believe MIchael is taking the advice of all those around him, not least his wife and family, while he mulls over the offer that I am firmly convinced, Mercedes have put to him. I would be extremely surprised if Kubica was on Ross Brawn or Norbert Haug's A-list. Why? He's too raw, unpredictable and moody for a team who needs a solid performer who can get the car home and score points at every race. Though Heidfeld is certainly of that ilk and extremely German, he may not be the automatic choice either. I believe Kovi is on that list and would certainly be my choice over Nick if the Rittmeister decides to stay in the hanger. I believe the young Finn has massive potential and will blossom away from claustrophobic environment of Woking. Whoever it is, they will only be keeping a seat warm for Seb Vettel who is still signed for two more seasons at RBR. My money is still on Michael to sign a two-year contract to help his good friend Ross and what is nothing short of a German National team on the road to victory.

It would seen there is little doubt now that MS will definitely join MGP for a year to get the new collaboration kick-started, subject to passing an FIA medical. The German press are full of it and no one is denying it. I mooted that the contract would be a short one in a recent post; MGP are obviously going in hard to secure Vettel for 2011. It's a little arrogant of the German team to pre-suppose that Red Bull would release him or indeed that he would want to go. That's F1 for you. Elsewhere, Takuma has missed the Lotus seat and Kovi has probably grabbed it. I'm glad there is a token Finn on the grid if that's the case. Even if Schui doesn't have a great season, his kudos should remain intact. I certainly expect him to make the podium here and there. Jenson must feel flushed with the fact that Ross and Norbert had to cajole a seven times WDC back into F1 to fill his boots. Clearly, no one else would do. Here's an update on my thoughts:

Mercedes GP | Schumacher/Rosberg

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes | Button/Hamilton

Williams F1/Cosworth | Barrichello/Hulkenberg

Scuderia Ferrari | Alonso/Massa

Team Renault F1 | Kubica/Villeneuve

Red Bull Racing/Renault | Vettel/Webber

Scuderia Torro Rosso/Ferrari | Buemi/Alguersuera

Petronas Lotus F1/Cosworth | Trulli/Kovaleinen

Force India Mercedes | Sutil/Luizzi

Virgin Racing/Cosworth | Glock/Davidson

Campos Meta 1/Cosworth | Senna/De La Rosa

Sauber GP/Ferrari | Heidfeld/Fisichella

It would seen there is little doubt now that MS will definitely join MGP for a year to get the new collaboration kick-started, subject to passing an FIA medical. The German press are full of it and no one is denying it. I mooted that the contract would be a short one in a recent post; MGP are obviously going in hard to secure Vettel for 2011. It's a little arrogant of the German team to pre-suppose that Red Bull would release him or indeed that he would want to go. That's F1 for you. Elsewhere, Takuma has missed the Lotus seat and Kovi has probably grabbed it. I'm glad there is a token Finn on the grid if that's the case. Even if Schui doesn't have a great season, his kudos should remain intact. I certainly expect him to make the podium here and there. Jenson must feel flushed with the fact that Ross and Norbert had to cajole a seven times WDC back into F1 to fill his boots. Clearly, no one else would do. Here's an update on my thoughts:

Team Renault F1 | Kubica/Villeneuve

Sauber GP/Ferrari | Heidfeld/Fisichella

The rumours about Schu's comeback are really way past the usual silly season standards so I guess I would not be that shocked now if they actually are accurate.

However, if Schu comes back, my guess would be that Rosberg will soon find out some way out of HIS contract. I doubt Nico was aiming to become Schumi's bitch when he signed for Mercedes. Better start looking for a new team for NR in your next update...

The rumours about Schu's comeback are really way past the usual silly season standards so I guess I would not be that shocked now if they actually are accurate.

However, if Schu comes back, my guess would be that Rosberg will soon find out some way out of HIS contract. I doubt Nico was aiming to become Schumi's bitch when he signed for Mercedes. Better start looking for a new team for NR in your next update...

If Nico bails out, Nick would be more than happy to be MS bitch, thus making another rumor true :)

If Nico bails out, Nick would be more than happy to be MS bitch, thus making another rumor true :)

Nico will be talking to Lotus or Sauber, is my guess and looking for hefty recompense from MGP. Renault could swoop too. He has been put in a poor spot, for sure. However, with Schumi's contract rumoured to be for one year only, he could do worse than bide his time. What a bloody mess Haug, Brawn and Fry have made of this. I have never seen the like.

Nico's career has been brilliantly mangaged and carefully nurtured; No silly moves to hurt his worth and no moves too soon in his career to put him against drivers who would have been superior. He has always seemed to be just slightly ahead of his car's ability. He's the real deal now. He's ready.

If Michael arrives, Nico won't go. What a ridiculous notion. Nico, walk away and look like he's scared? Now? Even if it was because Michael may have secured preferrential terms, Nico can afford to wait and settle in.

At worst, Michael beats him and he learns a thing or too. At best, Nico beats him and convinces Michael he was right in '06 all along. Either way it aint gonna hurt Nico one bit. Michael is the past, Seb is the future. It's him he has to beat.

Nico's career has been brilliantly mangaged and carefully nurtured; No silly moves to hurt his worth and no moves too soon in his career to put him against drivers who would have been superior. He has always seemed to be just slightly ahead of his car's ability. He's the real deal now. He's ready.

If Michael arrives, Nico won't go. What a ridiculous notion. Nico, walk away and look like he's scared? Now? Even if it was because Michael may have secured preferrential terms, Nico can afford to wait and settle in.

At worst, Michael beats him and he learns a thing or too. At best, Nico beats him and convinces Michael he was right in '06 all along. Either way it aint gonna hurt Nico one bit. Michael is the past, Seb is the future. It's him he has to beat.

It is my sincerest hope that you are right. Any step away from MGP would certainly be ill-advised. I was looking at a scenario where he may be pushed. I have sung his praises for some time now and I hope that everyone at Merc can get over themselves at Michael's arrival, remember they have a most capable, future WDC in their team and ensure he gets a fair share of resources.

Apart from Merc (who should want him 'cos he's got a German passport, blonde hair an he's pretty - though without the oomph of his pappy), I've not seen much to say he's been in demand. He's spent at least a year too long being nurtured - and he's not a manipulater, something that Alonso and Hamaster have in varying degrees.

Seb is a potential super-talent, but he's way to nice, makes errors and admits them - unforgivable in the world of F1 today - there's time for him to tidy up the unforced errors, but not long. Does he have the raw wallop of Ham and Fernandoid? Yes, but too weak in other areas - which I don't like, but are necessary for the new daring-do of the Senna/Schumi era.

It is my sincerest hope that you are right. Any step away from MGP would certainly be ill-advised. I was looking at a scenario where he may be pushed. I have sung his praises for some time now and I hope that everyone at Merc can get over themselves at Michael's arrival, remember they have a most capable, future WDC in their team and ensure he gets a fair share of resources.

Michael will destroy him in all the the ways he's good at destroying weaklings, if MS is coming back due to unfinished biz, he won't give a damn about his team mate (which is the right thing to do!), and if a modern potential superstar can't kick the arse of a 40-odd yr old that's been out of it for a couple of years, then he'll look pretty bad.

This should have been, potentially, Nico's year to shine - though I think he's a good peg below the very toppest highestest level, and certainly not of the Seb, Ham, Alonso, Kimi (when his head's on) crew - but hey, with the right car and people, maybe he'll grow into it and find the grrrr he needs.........

Apart from Merc (who should want him 'cos he's got a German passport, blonde hair an he's pretty - though without the oomph of his pappy), I've not seen much to say he's been in demand. He's spent at least a year too long being nurtured - and he's not a manipulater, something that Alonso and Hamaster have in varying degrees.

Seb is a potential super-talent, but he's way to nice, makes errors and admits them - unforgivable in the world of F1 today - there's time for him to tidy up the unforced errors, but not long. Does he have the raw wallop of Ham and Fernandoid? Yes, but too weak in other areas - which I don't like, but are necessary for the new daring-do of the Senna/Schumi era.

Michael will destroy him in all the the ways he's good at destroying weaklings, if MS is coming back due to unfinished biz, he won't give a damn about his team mate (which is the right thing to do!), and if a modern potential superstar can't kick the arse of a 40-odd yr old that's been out of it for a couple of years, then he'll look pretty bad.

This should have been, potentially, Nico's year to shine - though I think he's a good peg below the very toppest highestest level, and certainly not of the Seb, Ham, Alonso, Kimi (when his head's on) crew - but hey, with the right car and people, maybe he'll grow into it and find the grrrr he needs.........

I agree that Nico is not in the place he thought he would be when he signed with Brawn. Nevertheless, if JB had stayed, Nico would have been a virtual No.2 and that is what he is going to be for the next 12 months if, Schumi has agreed a deal. Obviously, the best scenario for him would have been to have Heidfeld as a team mate. He easily has the measure of that particular pilot and would have shone. The reality is, he probably has a major challenge on his hands just to get a fair shake in the garage and he'll need to be heavily pro-active in making that happen. It'll be like wolves scrapping over a carcass if the Red Baron returns - make no mistake. I am one of those people who believe Nico is more than capable of kicking anyone's arse - Michael's included - he just needs to believe it.

Elsewhere, I am glad Kovi has slotted in at Lotus. He didn't deserve to get booted right out of the sport. He should be able to outrace Trulli and make a fresh start for himself there. I am amongst those who are of a mind that MS had his sights set on 10 titles but was thwarted by Scuderia politicking. He was at his absolute peak when he made way for the enigma that is Raikkonen. Also, I am dubious as to whether Michael's neck injury is sufficiently mended to make him a competitor again. While we all wait with bated breath for that announcement, Peter Sauber will no doubt be waiting for a call from former protege, Nick Heidfeld. Lastly, I do hope someone has Kobayashi in their game plan. He looks like a quality act to me.

Not this time.

If Michael returns, yes he'll have the respect he commands. But remember, he's just as new to the car as his team-mate. He will have to prove himself. The strain and pressure people expect of him just driving effortlessly would be astronomical, as well as his own belief. Michael would have to fight harder to gain his place fairly. So, no. He won't be 'the man' and nobody will be his bitch. If he's still got it, then Michael will have to make his teammate his bitch.

As for Nico - pretty much what Dribs said. I think Michael has a more to lose rather than Nico.

I still think he's a top midfield driver though. Who knows. Could be Nico's time.

Not this time.

If Michael returns, yes he'll have the respect he commands. But remember, he's just as new to the car as his team-mate. He will have to prove himself. The strain and pressure people expect of him just driving effortlessly would be astronomical, as well as his own belief. Michael would have to fight harder to gain his place fairly. So, no. He won't be 'the man' and nobody will be his bitch. If he's still got it, then Michael will have to make his teammate his bitch.

As for Nico - pretty much what Dribs said. I think Michael has a more to lose rather than Nico.

I still think he's a top midfield driver though. Who knows. Could be Nico's time.

Not so easy. For one side, Michael has nothing to prove and if he comes back it will be just because he needs the adrenaline, not because he needs the money, nor the glory. On the other side, nor him nor MGP will be willing to make him just another driver fighting for a place in the team. Too many expectations, too many sponsors, too many egos, and there's RB and MS's story iin the middle, nonetheless.

No, Rosberg will start as Schumi's bitch no matter what. Maybe he can beat him on track...but allow me to be a little skeptic about that. I wouldn't bet against Michael even if it was Alonso who was with him and with equal treatment and a "no cheating" clause.

On a side note: I do hope MGP, McLaren, Ferrari and, yes, even Renault can deliver good cars. Can you imagine Schumi, Button, Hamilton, Massa and Alonso all competing in top cars? You need to be a total nullity at marketing not to drool over such perspective. And it would be one of those few historical seasons, so I hope the cars are up to the challenge. A one or two team fight would be a real waste of talent.

Mercedes GP | Rosberg/Kubica

Team Renault F1 | Kubica/Kobayashi

Sauber GP/Ferrari | Fisichella/di Resta

This could be what happens if MS blows the medical or MGP lose

On a side note: I do hope MGP, McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and, yes, even Renault can deliver good cars. Can you imagine Schumi, Button, Hamilton, Massa, Vettel and Alonso all competing in top cars?

criminal

criminal

Oh, yes, the kid as well. In any case, when was the last time we had so many really good drivers (I am being generous with Button here but, well, he IS a WDC after all) fighting for a championship? I am afraid, though, that the cars won't be up to the challenge. I hope I am wrong. I don't want to see all these guys being beaten by Alguersari just because STR found a loophole in the rules nobody else did. Yeah, if they find it and Alguersari wins then it's deserved and blah blah. But I will still feel robbed. Now, if we are talking about Liuzzi...

Oh, yes, the kid as well. In any case, when was the last time we had so many really good drivers (I am being generous with Button here but, well, he IS a WDC after all) fighting for a championship? I am afraid, though, that the cars won't be up to the challenge. I hope I am wrong. I don't want to see all these guys being beaten by Alguersari just because STR found a loophole in the rules nobody else did. Yeah, if they find it and Alguersari wins then it's deserved and blah blah. But I will still feel robbed. Now, if we are talking about Liuzzi...

Ah, but the essential part of Formula 1 (indeed racing) is a driver's ability (or luck if you prefer to call it that) to be in the right car at the right time. Some drivers like JV have had more luck with that and some, like Mikey the Schu, have worked hard to help transform a team. Whatever the reason, Alguersari beating World Champions is a singular thrill of racing. Something to be savored, even in it's absurdity.

Ah, but the essential part of Formula 1 (indeed racing) is a driver's ability (or luck if you prefer to call it that) to be in the right car at the right time. Some drivers like JV have had more luck with that and some, like Mikey the Schu, have worked hard to help transform a team. Whatever the reason, Alguersari beating World Champions is a singular thrill of racing. Something to be savored, even in it's absurdity.

Yup, but it still's gonna suck :P Sorry, I am very square on my tastes. When I go to see a movie, I want the good guy to win. A matter of taste. And of course, the good guy here would be Alonso...oops, no more...er...Heidfeld? Oh god, I will need some serious therapy to cope with that!

Not so easy. For one side, Michael has nothing to prove and if he comes back it will be just because he needs the adrenaline, not because he needs the money, nor the glory. On the other side, nor him nor MGP will be willing to make him just another driver fighting for a place in the team. Too many expectations, too many sponsors, too many egos, and there's RB and MS's story iin the middle, nonetheless.

No, Rosberg will start as Schumi's bitch no matter what. Maybe he can beat him on track...but allow me to be a little skeptic about that. I wouldn't bet against Michael even if it was Alonso who was with him and with equal treatment and a "no cheating" clause.

I don't believe that for one second.

If he wants the adrenaline, plenty can be found doing other things. He'd be returning to his career path. To the place where he broke records and set the standards. He has to prove that he still has those standards set. That he can take a car once again, familiarise himself and become the car. He's a lot to prove. Thats why he'd return. Not for some quick fix on a Sunday afternoon.

As for the bitch part, sorry Andres - balls to that! The relationship he has with Brawn would have to be re-defined. Brawn has everything to lose in backing all his money on one horse. It worked once, but F1 is a very different sport now. Times change.

Saying that if Michael did return, I'd love him to kick arse. Love to see nothing more than him, Jens, Vettel, Lewis and Alonso fighting for supremacy.

If he wants the adrenaline, plenty can be found doing other things. He'd be returning to his career path. To the place where he broke records and set the standards. He has to prove that he still has those standards set. That he can take a car once again, familiarise himself and become the car. He's a lot to prove. Thats why he'd return. Not for some quick fix on a Sunday afternoon.

As for the bitch part, sorry Andres - balls to that! The relationship he has with Brawn would have to be re-defined. Brawn has everything to lose in backing all his money on one horse. It worked once, but F1 is a very different sport now. Times change.

Saying that if Michael did return, I'd love him to kick arse. Love to see nothing more than him, Jens, Vettel, Lewis and Alonso fighting for supremacy.

For 'left handed, Hendrix loving, bike riding Stephen's' opinion on this, read what Stephanie wrote.

Team Renault F1 | Kubica/Heidfeld

Virgin Racing/Cosworth | Glock/Di Grassi

Sauber F1/Ferrari| Fisichella/Kobayashi

Yes, Argento. All getting a little confusing. Confirmed drivers in bold. USF1 are not in as they have confirmed nada.

For 'left handed, Hendrix loving, bike riding Stephen's' opinion on this, read what Stephanie wrote.

Ha. Go on Andres. Argue with that! Dribs here will karate kick your arse. I win, baby.

:P;) merrychristmasdon'thurtme.

Ok, Fanny, you've been a naughty girl, get ready for some spankin'! :P

I don't think he has to "prove" anything. I don't think he is "just for fun", either. This is a complex issue, in all its simplicity, namely "Jah, Webber, meine freunde, I'd very much like to race again. I never noticed before how boring Corina can be. I guess it vas because I vas mostly away and vhen I came home I vas usually still half deaf from ze engine sound. Now zat my hearing has improved...mein gott! And vhat in himmler does she put on her Bratkartoffeln? Castrol? I'd rather race JPM und meine kleiner Bruder Ralf than eat another of her dishes!"

That said, things start getting complicated from there. He wants to race, but there are sponsors, team principals, public pressure and his own passion and ego. So, it IS about having some fun and feeling younger again. It's also about business, about proving he is the best, about money, about glory...

I don't think that RB would put all his money on one horse (although "Little Pony" would be more appropiate in Rosberg's case). But you can't expect to have MS on your team and just say "ok guys, let the best one win!" that would last for...how long? One race? Even if Brawn really could stand the pressure, I don't think he actually would need to do anything to tip things on Schumi's favor. I hate Michael as much as I respect him. All he has to do is drive half decently and he will ascertain himself as number one. He is a natural leader. Nico...has a lovely hair. Only possible result: Nico is Schumi's bitch neener neener! :P

I might be wrong of course!

Not likely

Ok, Fanny, you've been a naughty girl, get ready for some spankin'! :P

I don't think he has to "prove" anything. I don't think he is "just for fun", either. This is a complex issue, in all its simplicity, namely "Jah, Webber, meine freunde, I'd very much like to race again. I never noticed before how boring Corina can be. I guess it vas because I vas mostly away and vhen I came home I vas usually still half deaf from ze engine sound. Now zat my hearing has improved...mein gott! And vhat in himmler does she put on her Bratkartoffeln? Castrol? I'd rather race JPM und meine kleiner Bruder Ralf than eat another of her dishes!"

That said, things start getting complicated from there. He wants to race, but there are sponsors, team principals, public pressure and his own passion and ego. So, it IS about having some fun and feeling younger again. It's also about business, about proving he is the best, about money, about glory...

I don't think that RB would put all his money on one horse (although "Little Pony" would be more appropiate in Rosberg's case). But you can't expect to have MS on your team and just say "ok guys, let the best one win!" that would last for...how long? One race? Even if Brawn really could stand the pressure, I don't think he actually would need to do anything to tip things on Schumi's favor. I hate Michael as much as I respect him. All he has to do is drive half decently and he will ascertain himself as number one. He is a natural leader. Nico...has a lovely hair. Only possible result: Nico is Schumi's bitch neener neener! :P

I might be wrong of course!

Not likely

Andres, Andres.

Like I said. F1 is different. Of course you can expect to put Michael in a car

and expect him to do half decently. But all this expectation leads to....wait for it.... Michael having something to prove. You've just agreed with me in a real around the streets way.

So. The only way Nico will be Michaels bitch, is if Michael puts him in his place, not if the team make it happen.

But thank you for proving me right. I am awesome aren't I. ;)

I still have Steve on back up if you pick on me. I think? :roll:

Andres, Andres.

Like I said. F1 is different. Of course you can expect to put Michael in a car

and expect him to do half decently. But all this expectation leads to....wait for it.... Michael having something to prove. You've just agreed with me in a real around the streets way.

So. The only way Nico will be Michaels bitch, is if Michael puts him in his place, not if the team make it happen.

But thank you for proving me right. I am awesome aren't I. ;)

I still have Steve on back up if you pick on me. I think? :roll:

Pffft...how thick can you be? You really can't understand that Michael would make a bitch out of Nico with no need from the team? Some people is soooo dumb...

(Yes, we were actually agreeing since the beginning, the misunderstanding was in the wording :P)