Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Teams & Drivers 2010

I have been hard on you but it's time to look at this in a new light; Your boy is world champion, he has secured his future with a great team and Ross Brawn having nailed the championship has secured the future of Brackley. It's all good. Let's relish that.

Awesome.

Been a long time since I Glock and rolled. Been a long time, been a long time, been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.

Desperation, conscience or image damage limitation. Or, perhaps, some sagely advice:

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/325674/Brawn_against_Button_McLaren_switch/

Desperation, conscience or image damage limitation. Or, perhaps, some sagely advice:

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/325674/Brawn_against_Button_McLaren_switch/

Ha! Do you really believe that Ross Brawn has read some negative press or is pre-occupying himself with all the brew ha-ha and has had a shift of emphasis or a guilt attack? Do me a favour. It's just proof, as if it were needed that amongst all us whipping this story up into a frenzy, what's really going on is being played out without any of us having a clue.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to my previous, previous, previous answer.

Ha! Do you really believe that Ross Brawn has read some negative press or is pre-occupying himself with all the brew ha-ha and has had a shift of emphasis or a guilt attack? Do me a favour. It's just proof, as if it were needed that amongst all us whipping this story up into a frenzy, what's really going on is being played out without any of us having a clue.

The alleged Macca move is purely a 'wish' campaign, as far as the British Press is concerned - further fuelled by Kimi's announcement to take a year out today. McLaren themselves have aIready said that they are still 'talking' to Button. I was probably too harsh on Brawn but he and the team did little to clarify their position until yesterday. He's gone fishing, apparently. He's either supremely confident that JB will heed his advice, is not bothered whether he does or not or finds fishing far more interesting. We will see. Personally, if I was looking at a 'back-to-back' Championship campaign, I'd have stayed with team I know, irrespective of what contract they were offering. Managers are a pain in the arse! Believe me, I know.

Hi guys, I havent really posted all year, but what a year its been for Buttonites such as myself!

And now, after being a member since 2004 and saying all along Jenson could do it, I can finally say: I TOLD YOU SO!

Back on topic, I'm in 2 minds about JB going to mclaren (which apparently is done now). On the one hand, I'm excited about the prospect of JB in a mclaren; he's finally getting the recognition as a 'top' driver. On the other hand, I don't think any driver in the world could come to mclaren & be on the same level as Hamilton, and I've got a bad feeling that Button is going to look very much like number 2 which would be sad

Welcome back the infamous jemstride who of course is infamous for his BGT audition last year! Welcome back, it's been a while!

http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/press-releases.php?article=383

Jenson Button

2009 Formula 1 World Champion

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes car #1

“It’s always a difficult decision to leave a team when you’ve been there for so long. But life is all about challenges – and, most important of all, it’s about challenging yourself. So, although I won the World Championship with Brawn GP last year, and I’ll never forget that, I was always adamant that I wanted to continue to set myself fresh challenges.

“So that’s why I’ve decided to join Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. You can’t help but be affected by this team’s phenomenal history. McLaren is one of the greats of world sport, and its achievements and list of past champions read like a Who’s Who of Formula 1 – Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and of course my new team-mate Lewis Hamilton. I’ve followed the McLaren team ever since I was a small boy, and it feels unbelievable to finally be a part of it.

“When I visited the McLaren Technology Centre earlier this month, it wasn’t simply the technical resources and the incredible standards of excellence that impressed me. No, I was equally struck by the ambition, the motivation and the winning spirit that flow through everybody there. And then there’s the team’s epic history: put it this way, the trophy cabinets seem to stretch for miles.

“From a personal point of view, it’s also a great pleasure to be joining a fellow British World Champion. Lewis has achieved an incredible level of success in a very short period of time, and he’s a wonderfully gifted driver who has earned the respect of every Formula 1 driver. I’m sure there’s plenty that we can learn from each other, and I’m really looking forward to using our combined knowledge to push the team forward.

“Also, I think it’s fantastic that we’ll be forming an all-British line-up. I know that we both fly the flag with pride, and I sincerely hope we can make the whole of the United Kingdom, as well as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes fans across the world, proud. Nothing means more to me than to be able to represent my country, and I’m looking forward to both of us painting Formula 1’s circuits red, white and blue for many years to come.

“While I’m fully aware that there’s a tremendous amount of hard work ahead, I’m absolutely certain that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will be able to deliver where it matters: on track. I’m already looking forward to starting work with the engineers at the McLaren Technology Centre as we begin our preparations for the 2010 season – and the defence of my world championship. This is a team that always goes racing to win, and I’m looking forward to being part of that.

“Last but very far from least, I want to say that the 2009 season will always have a special place in my memory, and I’m absolutely sure that everybody at Brawn GP who worked so hard to achieve our World Championship successes feels exactly the same way about it. Equally, I want to thank the guys at Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, without whom we’d never have been as competitive as we were. I’m so pleased that I’ll still be using their engines in 2010 and beyond.

“So I wish all my old Brawn GP mates well in their new Mercedes Grand Prix adventure, just as I hope they’ll wish me well in my new Vodafone McLaren Mercedes adventure.”

So the chickens have been counted and the cat's out of the bag and Sean's off to the pub to tend to his bafflement.

I see JB is already speaking fluent McLarenese. It's all a bit Stepford for me.

So the chickens have been counted and the cat's out of the bag and Sean's off to the pub to tend to his bafflement.

I see JB is already speaking fluent McLarenese. It's all a bit Stepford for me.

I gave up the booze fifteen years ago but I just might start again! My comments and concern over the past few days have been centred on whether JB was getting a fair shake of the stick. Taking in third hand information that came my way last night, allegedly from a senior figure at Ilmor and reading Eddie Jordan's reaction to the signing this morning, Jenson had already been informed by Mercedes that his services would not be required over a week ago. Well, if this is true, [and his absence from the victory parade and factory celebration in Bracknell would appear to support that], the reported last minute pleas by Ross Brawn and Co for Jenson to come to heel and sign up, were clearly some sort of perverted smoke screen. The possible purpose of such a mechanism defies any form of logic. Furthermore, in the light of such revelations, my misgivings about Mr Brawn may not be as screwy as some may have thought. I have never witnessed such nonsense in my entire life. Whether Jens had a choice or not, he did want a challenge and now he has his hand's full. I have every confidence he will rise to it and hope McLaren, [no strangers to chicanery and deceit themselves] give him a drive-able car and a fair go at Lewis. I think the guy is an outstanding driver and I expect fireworks from him in 2010.

Have a J2O on me. Unlike some, I think he'll acquit himself pretty well at Woking. I also heard the services no longer required rumour but set no store by it. The only other conclusion I can draw is that Messrs Brawn and Fry must be particularly sh!t at negotiating contracts and that bluffs have been called. Even if he wasn't pushed, I suppose the idea of just keeping the seat warm for the next incumbent (Vettel?) wasn't tremendously appealing.

Well as much as I hate Lewis and have slagged off mclaren, I do remember stating a number of years ago how much I wanted Jenson to go to McLaren with preferably Alonso as his teamate!!! But in actual fact I think this is now great news for British fans, McLaren an English team once again, and 2 English drivers can only do wonders for the sports popularity back home and I think this is a good thing. I also like the fact Button has chosen to test himself against (as much as I hate to say it) the best. I know Hamilton will win but I do think Button will be much more of a challenge to him than people are saying!

Here's to a fascinating 2010!

Well as much as I hate Lewis and have slagged off mclaren, I do remember stating a number of years ago how much I wanted Jenson to go to McLaren with preferably Alonso as his teamate!!! But in actual fact I think this is now great news for British fans, McLaren an English team once again, and 2 English drivers can only do wonders for the sports popularity back home and I think this is a good thing. I also like the fact Button has chosen to test himself against (as much as I hate to say it) the best. I know Hamilton will win but I do think Button will be much more of a challenge to him than people are saying!

ya

For every effect there is a counter-effect. Whereas, Jens knows he's up against the driver that most of his contemporaries and pundits rate as the best since Michael, no one can really surmise how Lewis will be effected by Jenson's presence on the other side of the garage. Indeed Macca won't win anything unless both packages are super-competitive. I can't see Hamilton winning six or seven GPs on his own next year or anyone for that matter. There will be his team mate, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Rosberg, Heidfeld, [the joker in the pack for me] and Webber to contend with for starters. It will be an four or five-way out scrap for points and podiums, as I see it.

For every effect there is a counter-effect. Whereas, Jens knows he's up against the driver that most of his contemporaries and pundits rate as the best since Michael, no one can really surmise how Lewis will be effected by Jenson's presence on the other side of the garage. Indeed Macca won't win anything unless both packages are super-competitive. I can't see Hamilton winning six or seven GPs on his own next year or anyone for that matter. There will be his team mate, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Rosberg, Heidfeld, [the joker in the pack for me] and Webber to contend with for starters. It will be an four or five-way out scrap for points and podiums, as I see it.

Just like we thought that removing traction control would level the field, and a smaller rear wing would level the field, and no launch control would level the field and...

Actually, the field is pretty leveled compared to yesteryears F1, but in the end it always comes down to a two horse race, three horses at best.

Of course, there's always room for a loophole that will upset the whole grid. My bet is on USF1 finding out that nowhere in the rules they mention that the cars should be actually built and thus win on their virtual cars thanks to their super duper gaming rigs with lots of RAM and hyper fast GPUs.

Updated grid:

Mercedes GP | Rosberg/Heidfeld

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes | Button/Hamilton

Williams Cosworth | Barrichello/Hulkenberg

Scuderia Ferrari | Massa/Alonso/

Megafon Renault | Kubica/Petrov

Red Bull Renault | Vettel/Webber

STR Ferrari | Buemi/Alguersuera

Lotus Cosworth | Trulli/Davidson

Qadbak Sauber Ferrari | Kovalainen/Kobayashi

Force India Mercedes | Sutil/Luizzi

Virgin Cosworth | Glock/Carroll

Campos Meta | Senna/De La Rosa

Updated grid:

Campos Meta | Senna/De La Rosa

Why not Montagny at Renault and Di Grassi at Campos? I thought those were the most probable names at the moment, at least according to the websites as of yesterday. Personally, I'm not too atracted to the Montagny to Renault idea, so I hope you are right, at least Petrov would make for a more original line up at la Regie. On the other hand, with the Allies at McLaren, the Axis at BGP all we need is a Pole and a Russian at Renault to have our very own iron curtain.

Updated grid: