Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Pg Ibahd Uba

After a quick play on google earth, i see the circuit is basically flat.

I'd reallylike to see tilke do some tracks with gradients to them.

Perhaps he can't handle 3D thinking.

post-2537-125688635188_thumb.jpg

After a quick play on google earth, i see the circuit is basically flat.

I'd reallylike to see tilke do some tracks with gradients to them.

Perhaps he can't handle 3D thinking.

Actually, Turkey has some nice gradients. I think this track is oone of the most original he designed. I am not so sure if that will actually improve or make things worse on track but I'd like to see the pit exit during the race with the tunnel and such. The long straights are just a waste of space (well, unless you have a KERS car in which case they mean free overtaking)

I don't think this will be a track famous for its overtaking potential. It might happen a lot, though, this year as it will be a matter of watching a bunch of less than elegant drivers trying to learn a new track.

I have to say, even after first practice I'm not impressed. Sure it looks nice, but I can't see much overtaking. Too much slow speed technical/narrow sections mean a recipe zero overtaking. Oh well, Interlagos is the last race next season, so we can have a proper finale then!

I have to say, even after first practice I'm not impressed. Sure it looks nice, but I can't see much overtaking. Too much slow speed technical/narrow sections mean a recipe zero overtaking. Oh well, Interlagos is the last race next season, so we can have a proper finale then!

Ferrari will dominate this track, if they have the right car! Anyhoo, might check it out, see what the underground pit lane & the day-night cycle is like but it just sounds like another Valencia!

Actually, Turkey has some nice gradients. I think this track is oone of the most original he designed. I am not so sure if that will actually improve or make things worse on track but I'd like to see the pit exit during the race with the tunnel and such. The long straights are just a waste of space (well, unless you have a KERS car in which case they mean free overtaking)

I don't think this will be a track famous for its overtaking potential. It might happen a lot, though, this year as it will be a matter of watching a bunch of less than elegant drivers trying to learn a new track.

Bah nonsense. Turkey is as flat as an ironing board. Admittedly - I love spa. Partly becaue it's a great track, but partly because you can see serious gradients (or more precisely - quick changes betweeen gradients). This adds an extra dimension to the set up. How to set a car up when you have proper depressions - needs a stiff suspension to stop the car from bottoming out.

But - to be fair, I like the underground pit lane exit too - will be nice to watch.

My main problem with Tilke tracks is not that they are bad (I think they're okay), but that they are all the same. Watch all F1 races on his tracks and you get pretty much the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with 1 or 2 Tilke tracks per season, but we desperately need some variety - F1 should be backing some other designers too.

PS - What? You think witness X ordered Flav to crash into Piquet?

You're just an idiot.

Bah nonsense. Turkey is as flat as an ironing board.

Clearly you're not watching the same Istanbul Park as everybody else then!

And Danny, don't get my hopes up with the "Ferrari will dominate" talk! :P

You'd all love this track if it was in Europe ;)

Seriosness aside, I'm going to watch qualifying tomorrow. LOL what a lie that was.

Kidding aside, the track seems nice enough to me. I'll give it some races to see how I really feel. I didn't watch any of practice (I was probably at school, or I didn't care, or both. I think both) so I'm only basing that on one video I saw this one time.

But I like it more than I like Monaco, Hungary, and those other ones I don't really like that much (you know the ones, like Valencia, and maybe Shanghai, do I like that track)?

And Danny, don't get my hopes up with the "Ferrari will dominate" talk! :P

Magny-Cours, famous for countless Ferrari victories & they don't understand the meaning of "overtaking" and "excitement" in the middle of France!

There's a video of Johnny Legard calling an F1 race at Magny-Cours that Schumi clinched a WDC in. It was a combo of three ultra-dull things. I fell asleep for not that long because if you've ever read my posts you can probably tell I take Speed...Scott Speed that is, I take him to the cinema all the time. Seriously, I don't take speed, I'm just high-energy when it's nice and cool outside. Anyway, it was really dull, so I didn't watch it. Legard's miserable. I'd take James Allen over him. And Ben Edwards over James Allen. And maure over Ben Edwards.

Hell, I'd take Windows Narrator over Legard.

There's a video of Johnny Legard calling an F1 race at Magny-Cours that Schumi clinched a WDC in. It was a combo of three ultra-dull things. I fell asleep for not that long because if you've ever read my posts you can probably tell I take Speed...Scott Speed that is, I take him to the cinema all the time. Seriously, I don't take speed, I'm just high-energy when it's nice and cool outside. Anyway, it was really dull, so I didn't watch it. Legard's miserable. I'd take James Allen over him. And Ben Edwards over James Allen. And maure over Ben Edwards.

Hell, I'd take Windows Narrator over Legard.

I've seen exactly the video you're on about and I think he has improved since then. He's not nearly as bad (in my opinion) as that video showed then. I'd much rather take him over James Allen. Amazingly he's got a season without yelling anything in a giddy way about Button. So yeah, says it all!

Muray Walker. Greatest. Commentator. Evar.

I'm glad I have BBC for that reason. No ads. Great! It was so frustrating on ITV you used to get really into a race and then "Back in a few minutes".

Best example of this was Imola 06 I think when 'Nando and Schumi were really close right till the end. So what did ITV do? Put an ad break in with 5 laps to go. Of course, they got countless complaints and showed those last 5 laps in the entirety again after the race.

Of course it is an issue if you need a comfort break, when do you go? I normally wait till a safety car or until things have settled down in the race.

I never understood the Murray Walker lovefest. He has an obnoxiously high-pitched voice and made so many errors. His commentary would have p**sed me off beyond belief.

The worst commentators are the ones that English-ize or American-ize foreign names. I really, really hate that. ESPN's coverage of the NASCAR race at Montr

Haha it adds to the comedy value through the race. At least if a race wasn't that exciting Murray could make up for it with a few of his comments! You see, that's the charm he had, instead of just relaying a race to as it is like some kind of robot, he added spice to even the most processional of races.

Clearly you have absolutely no sense of humour.

No, Turkey is not as flat as an ironing board - well done - gold star for you.

I'm glad I don't watch on BBC. Legard and no ads. SPEED's awesome. Bob Varsha is the awesomest commentator ever and I'm right.

Happy compromise...

No Legard (you're right, he's a **** head), but no ads - I can't abide being told to buy lillets with wings half way through a GP.

As for Murray...

I think you have to be British and old enough to have lived through the Murray era to understand what an absolute legend he was.

For years he muffed his way through and provided comedy galore at the expense of no one but himself. And instead of getting better, or stopping, he just carried right on regardless. Not many people can do that.

Secondly (and this is the most endearing thing about Murray) he never worried about proffesionalism or making a tit of himself because he so obviously loved LOVED F1 with all his heart. He was an F1 fan first and then a TV commentator - not like everyone since - and that more then made up for all his goofs.

Happy compromise...

No Legard (you're right, he's a **** head), but no ads - I can't abide being told to buy lillets with wings half way through a GP.

As for Murray...

I think you have to be British and old enough to have lived through the Murray era to understand what an absolute legend he was.

For years he muffed his way through and provided comedy galore at the expense of no one but himself. And instead of getting better, or stopping, he just carried right on regardless. Not many people can do that.

Secondly (and this is the most endearing thing about Murray) he never worried about proffesionalism or making a tit of himself because he so obviously loved LOVED F1 with all his heart. He was an F1 fan first and then a TV commentator - not like everyone since - and that more then made up for all his goofs.

Geez, we already told you Turkey is not flat! Are you dumb or what?

And yeah, give me Bob Varsha anyday. I don't care about either British nor American traditions, so my choice is merely based on the guys I feel are less annoying to hear through a whole race. The americans have anice balance between making appropiate comments and shutting up or making some light hearted joke when they are completely clueless. The Brit transmission is too emotive (the Spanish one, too) and it gets on my nerves when they start shouting "Lewis/Alonso did something nobody else cares about!!!!!!!!!!!!". I am glad there are no Argentinians currently in F1 or the Argentine broadcasting would be along those same lines.

Geez, we already told you Turkey is not flat! Are you dumb or what?

Yeah right - and witness X is my mum.

And yeah, give me Bob Varsha anyday. I don't care about either British nor American traditions, so my choice is merely based on the guys I feel are less annoying to hear through a whole race. The americans have anice balance between making appropiate comments and shutting up or making some light hearted joke when they are completely clueless. The Brit transmission is too emotive (the Spanish one, too) and it gets on my nerves when they start shouting "Lewis/Alonso did something nobody else cares about!!!!!!!!!!!!". I am glad there are no Argentinians currently in F1 or the Argentine broadcasting would be along those same lines.

Agreed. I like an impartiality to my commentry.

But I don't like adverts either.

I also like to have commentators who know something about the sport (unlike the chinese ones).

Saw a few pics of the circuit. Looks pretty cool, especially the space-age looking blue-lighted thingy. Can't wait to see the action.

Going by Fp1,2 it seems podium will be Vettel, Lewis, Button. In no particular order.

Saw a vid of Bruno Senna driving a 2-seater type of single-seater car :ph34r: ! Unfortunately, he wasn't pushing very hard, so that he would'nt snap the other guy's neck off, but the track looks pretty technical with 2 nive straights, kinda like Turkey, or maybe Bahrain but as a few of you guys said above, the track is as flat as a pancake!

As for Murray...

You put is better than I could. I agree, I think you have to be British (not wishing to sound patronising in any sense) and to have followed F1 to really "get" what Murray was about. I grew up watching F1 as Murray as one of the commentators years on years, and his unique tone brought great memories to my childhood watching F1 every other Sunday.

It seems in my experience that Americans seem to over-praise SPEED (in my opinion, and I know i'm going to get slated by Eric here!) and Bob what's-his-face. Having seen some of the broadcasts for stuff like NASCAR on American channels, I have to say that if I had that ammount of adverts in one break I'd be driven mad. I'd just be desprate to get back to the action and to know what is going on. There have been some great moments in F1 this season that I think we wouldn't have seen if F1 was still on ITV due to the ad breaks. Moments that replays can't really do justice. The ammounts of times ITV came back and said "Whilst you were away" and to me, that is extremely frustrating.

Sure it might not be practical to have to watch F1 in one big section with no breaks, but I need it that way to be able to follow the race and to get involved in what's going on. I'd rather have that than a race being broken up and dis-jointed every few minutes.