Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Gimme Yer Best

It seems that every two months someone is getting all uppity and compiles a list of the 'Top 10 drivers of eternity' or somesuch. As my bruthahs across the pond would say, rubbish. The only list that matters is what we, personally, think and why. So, I ask you all to forget the monthly top 10 lists and come here and post your own. Here are the rules:

There are no rules*.

Any opinion is valid. List one driver or ten, I don't care; just make sure it's from your heart. If you're a giggling teen girl who just has to include Nelson Piquet Jr because "He's hawt!!", I may vomit into my own mouth, but your choice is still valid. So break out your keyboards and get a typin! (I'll post mine after I've time to think about it).

*Consider this a lesson in how much fun can be had without any rules. F1 could stand for a bit of this.

It seems that every two months someone is getting all uppity and compiles a list of the 'Top 10 drivers of eternity' or somesuch. As my bruthahs across the pond would say, rubbish. The only list that matters is what we, personally, think and why. So, I ask you all to forget the monthly top 10 lists and come here and post your own. Here are the rules:

There are no rules*.

Any opinion is valid. List one driver or ten, I don't care; just make sure it's from your heart. If you're a giggling teen girl who just has to include Nelson Piquet Jr because "He's hawt!!", I may vomit into my own mouth, but your choice is still valid. So break out your keyboards and get a typin! (I'll post mine after I've time to think about it).

*Consider this a lesson in how much fun can be had without any rules. F1 could stand for a bit of this.

Kimi Raikkonen- With harly no experience came to F1 and stablished himslef among the best even challenging MS who had a whole team behind him.

Michael Schumacher-The only reason why he is secong on my list is that he had a team working just for him and he was the greatest but I don't know how much would he had achived under other conditions

Alain Prost-the Professor have the second best record on F1 4th times WDC.

Nigel Mansell-The only drive to be F1 and Indicar champ at the same time.

Airton Senna-He could have a better place but he didn't have a very good actitud getting to the point of announcing he is going to crash on purpuose and doing it (that's not good racing).

Jaques Villenueve-He won in USA and unlike most of the drivers that comes that way, he only win his first race and won the WDC in his second year, he could have dominated the sport with more time in a top team.

Nikki Lauda- The Phoenix came form his accident to win the WDC, he even manage to defeat Prost by half point while being in the same team.

Felipe Massa- Very under-rated in F1 but he is a top driver a WDC material like he showed in 2008 even when a lot of people where saying he is not a driver, with the right team he can show his potential but I don't know if he is in that team, he may find himself playing the second driver roll again.

Lewis Hamilton- Defeated Alonso in his fisrt season (showing how over-rated is Alonso), won the WDC on his second, he took his team to take 3rd place in the WCC and ended as the fastest driver, he got a world of oportunity to brake Schumi's records in F1.

Sebastian Vetel- He already show what he is capable of, winning some races and challenging for the title in 2009 another WDC material.

In no particular order:

Lauda

Piquet Sr.

Prost

Senna

Villeneuve, Gilles

Schumacher

Raikonnen

Alonso

Fangio

Stewart

Do you want I quit Alonso? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

how could you cheat if there are no rules?

I can't find the emoticons, where are they? I see where they should be but it's empty.

I am certainly not a fan, I don't agree with some the "stunts" he pulled, however, credit would have to be given... any valid list would have to include M.S.

Also, my favorite .... GILLES... has to be there somewhere.

I won't think much then, when I overthink I end up not posting anything xD Now, I'm young and really started watching F1 after the boring MSC domination, and unlike Eric I haven't watched classic races (it would be very hard to make me watch one too, I'm just not one to sit still >.<) so I can only talk about couple of years ago...

Kimi Raikkonen: Because his Suzuka drive made me pay attention to F1, and because he stood up to MSC and that made me notice him :)

Michael Schumacher: Well, family tradition dictates that I pay homage to him, he is great and very very clever (something Kimi can't be said to be xD)

Sebastian Vettel: My new favourite after Kimi's "retirement" from F1 (Yes, for me he's retired unless he shows another Suzuka 05 drive to show he's alive! :P)

Mika Hakkinen: I used to "hate" him because family tradition dictated that I had to support MSC... He's a great driver^^

The rest of them, not really favourites, though Alonso is good. Can't think of anyone else now.

For the ones who know the drivers of the good ole' times, Jim Clark sounds like THE man. But not enough info, when I move my lazy a## to read a bit... oh well xD

The overall best:

1. Jim Clark - My dad was a huge Clark fan, so perhaps I'm biased only because I've heard so many positive things about him, but I think his records speak for themselves. He has more "grand slams" (led entire race from pole and set fastest lap) than any other driver with 8. Imagine if he had entered more than 73 grands prix...

2. Juan Manuel Fangio - He entered 52 grands prix. He won 24. On top of that, he podiumed in 35 of them. He was still winning races when he was 46.

3. Ayrton Senna - Watching Senna drive is just so much fun. There's something magical about it, as cheesy as that sounds. He wanted to win, and he did just that.

4. Michael Schumacher - He had the perfect surroundings, but you can't argue with the results he put up. He absolutely owned his era.

5. Alberto Ascari - He won seven consecutive races from 1952-1953 and six from eight in 52. He has the second highest winning percentage of any F1 driver (excluding the Indy 500 drivers from when the 500 was F1 sanction; I may like the 500, but to say those stats should count in Formula 1 is ridiculous).

6. Alain Prost - He won four championships. That's not bad.

7. Graham Hill - He won Monaco when he was 40. He won two WDCs.

8. Nelson Piquet - He won three world titles, and not all in a row. I think it's telling when a driver can keep on winning with many years between their championships; it shows they were able to win in all situations, rather than just getting the perfect combination for a few years.

9. Jack Brabham - Three-time WDC, and a constructor, too. Definitely impressive.

10. Jackie Stewart - Three WDCs and fifth on the all-time list isn't too bad.

The best I saw:

1. Michael Schumacher - I only saw one year, but his comeback was impressive. Brazil 2006 was all I needed to see to know why this guy was a 7-time WDC. I never pick someone who didn't win as DOD, but damn, that was drive of the year.

2. Fernando Alonso - He beat Michael and tied with Lewis. He gives it his all, he's damn clever, and he's damn good. He drives like someone who woudl put up good results, and he does. Simple fact: Renault fell in 2007 when Alonso left, and while the car sucked in 2008, Alonso still won at Fuji.

3. Lewis Hamilton - His worst season was P5 with two race victories. He tied the defending world champ in his rookie season. He's good. He's really good. Do I think he can make the all-time top 10? If he sticks with it long enough and makes good decisions as far as teams go, yep, I honestly do.

4. Kimi R

1 - michael schumacher - no need to explain, do i?

2 - niki lauda - going on even after the accident, succeeding in a comeback later, etc...

3 - senna - passion and racing ^^

4 - prost - had to be here.

5 - jv - been there, done that.

6 - sebastian vettel - going up on this list every year.

7 - mansell - respect.

8 - fangio - had to be there. not upper cus i havent seen him driving, but well, it's here.

9 - fernando alonso - not a fernando fan, really. just respect for breaking schumi era.

10 - luca bado.... jking i'm fine with 9. consider 10th someone i may have forgotten.

1. Jim Clark - the greatest ever driver to have lived. Gentleman Jim was and remains the most naturally gifted driver in history.

2. Nigel Mansell - The reason I stuck to F1.

3. Ayrton Senna - Donington '93. Enough said.

4. Nelson Piquet Sr. Battles with Nigel legendary.

5. Graham Hill - Talented, and loved the sport. True racing driver.

6. Jackie Stewart - committed and lived the dream.

7. Michael Schumacher - remains the benchmark for today's drivers.

8. Damon Hill - Unafraid to take risks, scared of nothing.

9. Alain Prost - not my favourite driver, but I appreciate his skill and will to dominate.

10. James Hunt - I call him the Alex Higgins of F1. Just for his character and the fact an Englishman was champ the year I was born!

But Jim Clark for me is the ultimate. He never finished a race second. He always won, or retired. In my recollection anyway. If I'm wrong, then sorry! A great great man with a natural talent. We miss you Jimmy.

I posted this yesterday in the sun's top 10 thread, so my work is already done...

So my list (in order) goes...

Clark

Fangio

Schumi

Senna

Stewart

Gilles

Prost

Lauda

Piquet Snr

Hill Snr

But it's hard - any of the top 4 could arguably be the best and Mansell & Mikka only just miss out on the top 10.

Only active drivers matter, imo. The past does not exist anymore.

Kimi because he is the fastest driver and F1 is a sprint race.

Alonso because he was one point away from his 3rd WC despite the sht lynching storm at McLaren. That takes guts I don't see anywhere else on the field.

Vettel and Kubica becuase they do more than their drives.

Not who I like more or root for for some particular reason, just the best:

Retired:

01. Ayrton Senna

02. Michael Schumacher

03. Juan Manuel Fangio

04. Alain Prost

05. Jim Clark

06. Jackie Stewart

07. Nelson Piquet

08. Alberto Ascari

09. Niki Lauda

10. Nigel Mansell

Active (current moment + overall career):

01. Fernando Alonso

02. Lewis Hamilton

03. Kimi Raikkonen

04. Felipe Massa

05. Sebastian Vettel

The rest is not worthy of mention.

He never finished a race second. He always won, or retired.

Never finished 2nd, but finished 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and so on.

The overall best:

1. Jim Clark - My dad was a huge Clark fan, so perhaps I'm biased only because I've heard so many positive things about him, but I think his records speak for themselves. He has more "grand slams" (led entire race from pole and set fastest lap) than any other driver with 8. Imagine if he had entered more than 73 grands prix...

2. Juan Manuel Fangio - He entered 52 grands prix. He won 24. On top of that, he podiumed in 35 of them. He was still winning races when he was 46.

3. Ayrton Senna - Watching Senna drive is just so much fun. There's something magical about it, as cheesy as that sounds. He wanted to win, and he did just that.

4. Michael Schumacher - He had the perfect surroundings, but you can't argue with the results he put up. He absolutely owned his era.

5. Alberto Ascari - He won seven consecutive races from 1952-1953 and six from eight in 52. He has the second highest winning percentage of any F1 driver (excluding the Indy 500 drivers from when the 500 was F1 sanction; I may like the 500, but to say those stats should count in Formula 1 is ridiculous).

6. Alain Prost - He won four championships. That's not bad.

7. Graham Hill - He won Monaco when he was 40. He won two WDCs.

8. Nelson Piquet - He won three world titles, and not all in a row. I think it's telling when a driver can keep on winning with many years between their championships; it shows they were able to win in all situations, rather than just getting the perfect combination for a few years.

9. Jack Brabham - Three-time WDC, and a constructor, too. Definitely impressive.

10. Jackie Stewart - Three WDCs and fifth on the all-time list isn't too bad.

The best I saw:

1. Michael Schumacher - I only saw one year, but his comeback was impressive. Brazil 2006 was all I needed to see to know why this guy was a 7-time WDC. I never pick someone who didn't win as DOD, but damn, that was drive of the year.

2. Fernando Alonso - He beat Michael and tied with Lewis. He gives it his all, he's damn clever, and he's damn good. He drives like someone who woudl put up good results, and he does. Simple fact: Renault fell in 2007 when Alonso left, and while the car sucked in 2008, Alonso still won at Fuji.

3. Lewis Hamilton - His worst season was P5 with two race victories. He tied the defending world champ in his rookie season. He's good. He's really good. Do I think he can make the all-time top 10? If he sticks with it long enough and makes good decisions as far as teams go, yep, I honestly do.

4. Kimi R

Far too many greats to squeeze into a top ten, too much subjectivity, but anyway, my faves.....

*Jim Clark

Fangio

= Senna, Ascari

Schumi

Rindt (At least for what could have been)

G. Hill (never did a non-naturally gifted driver do so much, and work so hard)

Prost

Cevert (Jackie says he was better than him, and so damn smoooooth)

= Jack Brabham, Denny Hulme (great engineers and great drivers? - a huge rarity)

*Why Jim Clark will never be off the top spot for me - as a spectator, watching him in F1, F2 and Indy, and then (whilst he was still competing in F1) throw in the most amazing drives in saloons in the Lotus Cortina, and his awesome drive on the RAC Rally (same car).... I don't think there will ever be another all-rounder to touch him in my lifetime. Some say he wasn't too good at giving feedback to the engineers, that he drove round problems, well, to me that makes his achievements even more spectacular ;)

Was it Mike who used to have a picture in his sig' of Jimbo on three wheels in a Lotus Cortina? Marvellous.

My top 10 drivers since I started watching it properly in 2004 (I did watch races before that):

1. Michael Schumacher

2. Mika Hakkinen

3. Fernando Alonso

4. Felipe Massa

5. Juan Pablo Montoya

6. Kimi Raikonnen

7. Rubens Barrichello

8. Lewis Hamilton

9. Sebastian Vettel

10. Robert Kubica

Check youtube for Clark footage and you'll find some great saloon racing. Look for vintage saloon and you'll find even more footage with great driving by drivers you've probably never heard of.

Ok, I love all your lists so far. I especially like Argento's Top 11. That's taking the rule about no rules and running with it! Ok, my list isn't based on stats or most wins or best hair or largest sunglasses (Emmo would top that list anyway) but on the drivers that gave me pure joy to watch. Even if it was only for one race, I rank 'em. Here we go:

1. Jimmy Clark. How can you convince anyone of this man's absolute talent behind the wheel? What stat or win percentage can do it? Is there a chart out there somewheres? No. This man was acknowledged as the best by his peers. Very talented men like Gurney, Amon, Brabham, Stewart. Clark raced them all the came out as the best. Now that's all stuff you can read in books. I put Jimmy on top because of the classic footage I've seen of him. Saloon cars, Indianapolis oval, open-wheel; he dominated them all. He may not have won every time but everyone walked away respecting Jim. There was a justifiable thought that if Jimmy didn't win, there was something wrong with the car. Which brings me to my number 2 choice.

2. Michael Schumacher. How can you not put this man near the top of any list you compile? Ignore all the stats, the rumours of cheating, and arrogant attitude and remember how he drove. Near-perfection. Every time this man got into a car, you knew he would win. Some called that boring but I call it excellence. It's for that reason alone that I put him so high on my list.

3. Gilles Villeneuve. The living embodiment of racing. He cared more for winning a race than a championship and he went about it with a verve and gusto not seen since Rindt. There was a fighting spirit in Gilles that I could scarcely believe would come from a Canadian. When he famously lost his rear tyre and fought back to the pits, he was quoted as yelling "Put another f-ucker on there and send me back out!". Of all the drivers on the current grid, the one that reminds me most of Gilles is, wait for it, Kobayashi (I said 'reminds' not 'is exactly like' so stay your tomatoes).

Now it gets hard. So many drivers are fighting for the next spot here. Hm.

4. Stefan Belof. 1984. Pouring rain. Monaco. That's all you need to know. Now, go read about it and be astounded.

I need to think about the rest. I'll do a second post later.

Great topic to help aid us through the off-season. I'll limit myself to 10 and list them alphabetically.

• J. Brabham
  • J. Clark
  • J. Fangio
  • N. Lauda
  • S. Moss
  • T. Nuvolari
  • A. Prost
  • M. Schumacher
  • A. Senna
  • J. Stewart

As stated elsewhere, it's difficult to be objective in matters such as these; and statistics, while they don't lie, also don't always tell the whole story. And, limiting myself to 10 immediately leaves me wanting more. A list that does not include the likes of Gilles Villeneuvue, Graham Hill and Nigel Mansell - just to name those 3 diverse personalities - would seem to be incomplete at best. Still, if I force myself to stay within this total number and not dwell on this for days on end I believe this might do it... or it may just gnaw away at me and make me post a second list of ten.

I'll watch out for Kobayashi next year, as I guess will do all of us, because it's been ages since a rookie caught my eye that way. It was a very fought race and he was fighting the hardest, so... yeah, I hope he can keep that up for a loooong time :D