Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussief1

Rosberg To Mercedes For 2010

As expected, Mercedes has announced that Germany's Nico Rosberg will be spearheading its 2010 line-up as the Stuttgart manufacturer prepares to return to Formula 1 for the first time since 1955. Following a press conference in Germany on Monday afternoon, the team-mate to the former Williams driver is yet to be revealed.

With the Champion Brawn team having been bought by Mercedes-Benz, at least one German driver was always expected in the line-up of 2010, with Rosberg's confirmation on Monday effectively acting as a swap with new Williams driver Rubens Barrichello.

Rosberg set the fastest lap in his first race, Bahrain 2006

"I am really happy to be a part of the Silver Arrows re-launch in 2010 as a driver for Mercedes," commented the 24-year-old son of 1982 World Champion Keke. "No other brand in Formula 1 can look back on such a long and successful tradition in motor racing.

"I am very proud that I will now drive for the new Mercedes team and work with Ross Brawn (Team Principal). I am more motivated than ever and can hardly wait to start testing with the new Silver Arrow and for the first race of the new season in Bahrain."

Source: gpupdate.net

Well finally it's been announced Nico is off to Mercedes GP!!! What would have to be the most certain of all driver movements this year. But the point of this thread is to compare Nico against the possible team mates that he may have in 2010..

Nick - He would clean the floor with Nick no worries at all in my opinion.

Kimi - Kimi would be the man in front but with Nico not too far behind.

Heikki - I would have to back Nico to do well against Heikki. Prefered team mate if I was Nico. He's young knows how to tow the line to a better driver. Perfect!!

Michael - Well I just don't think that we will ever see him back on the grid people need to let it go in all honesty. Move on, I want it to happen as much as anyone but when you seriously think about it the idea lacks common sense.

Your thoughts...

Well finally it's been announced Nico is off to Mercedes GP!!! What would have to be the most certain of all driver movements this year. But the point of this thread is to compare Nico against the possible team mates that he may have in 2010..

Kimi - Kimi would be the man in front but with Nico not too far behind.

Heikki - I would have to back Nico to do well against Heikki. Prefered team mate if I was Nico. He's young knows how to tow the line to a better driver. Perfect!!

Michael - Well I just don't think that we will ever see him back on the grid people need to let it go in all honesty. Move on, I want it to happen as much as anyone but when you seriously think about it the idea lacks common sense.

Your thoughts...

Well...as you said it's not goin' 2 be Schuey...

But Haug said it will be a surprise. To me it's Kubica. They are probably tryin' to reach an agreement with Renault on the matter. It makes a lot of sense. He's strong, he's young, he's cheap and he was a Mercedes driver in F3.

According to rumours Renault are going to sell a 30% share in the team to title sponsor Megafon to finance their season. This would allow Robert move elsewhere, while Megafon would bring in commercial partner Nokia as another team sponsor. This would clear the way for a line up made of Heikki Kovalainen and russian driver Vitaly Petrov, the Gp2 Series vice champion who would be very appreciated by Megafon.

So my bet is on Rosberg and Kubica to Mercedes, Heikki and Petrov to Renault and Kimi to take a sabbatical.

Well this is the fisrt announcement and so far there is no surprise, let's wait for the second announcement and see if there is any surprise.

But Haug said it will be a surprise. To me it's Kubica. They are probably tryin' to reach an agreement with Renault on the matter. It makes a lot of sense. He's strong, he's young, he's cheap and he was a Mercedes driver in F3.

According to rumours Renault are going to sell a 30% share in the team to title sponsor Megafon to finance their season. This would allow Robert move elsewhere, while Megafon would bring in commercial partner Nokia as another team sponsor. This would clear the way for a line up made of Heikki Kovalainen and russian driver Vitaly Petrov, the Gp2 Series vice champion who would be very appreciated by Megafon.

So my bet is on Rosberg and Kubica to Mercedes, Heikki and Petrov to Renault and Kimi to take a sabbatical.

Well that would be a surprise as this is the first time I hear about that move.

I think the theory you pose has credit for sure but would Renault look to let any chance they have of being half competitive go with Robert leaving for MGP?? They become also ran with Heikki and Petrov. Renault might as well pull the plug and leave than have that driver line up.

I think it will be Nick and Nico at MGP. Not the strongest pairing, but a pairing that given the car can get the job done.

I disagree. Nick Heidfeld is probably the most under-rated driver in F1. He's had about a million podiums in his career, you rarely see him spinning or hitting the barriers, and most importantly people forget that he actually BEAT the 'megastar' Kubica (on points total) in 2007 and 2009. So of their 3 years as team-mates, Heidfeld actually came out on top in 2 of those 3 seasons, so perhaps he should get the recognition and the chance to show what he can really do.

I agree with the majority - Heidfeld will take the 2nd seat. Its certainly possible that Merc are waiting to see what Renault do just in case Kubica becomes free, but if I was betting right now I'd bet on Heidfeld getting it.

Yes it's a good point Mr Stride. The mighty Kubica has been beaten by Heidfeld 2/3 years. I still think he's better than the German long term but it's not a particularly impressive record imho.