Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Mercedes Surprise Driver Will Be...A Rookie?

Forget about Kimi or Nick. Not to mention Michael... According to latest rumours from gpupdate.net, Mercedes Gp 2nd driver might be a rookie. The team is about to test Indycar's Mike Conway (but he's unlikely to get the nod imo, given his CV he is probably going to be considered for a testing role) and Japanese F3 Champion Marcus Ericsson. Ericsson is 19 years old from Sweden and is part of Mercedes Junior Program. He also impressed many during his few outings in british F3 and at the recent Macau Grand Prix, where he set the pole position.

SOURCE: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/326109/Conway_and_Ericsson_to_test_for_Mercedes/

I wouldn't read much into it. Ericsson, Bortolotti, Hartley, di Resta, Hildebrand, and Bianchi are being testing to be evaluated for future use. The teams want to get their hands on them before they're ready so no one else can when they're ready. Soucek, Baguette, Rossi, Guti

First of all, there is Nick Heidfeld. OK, in F1 terms, a little long in the tooth but highly experienced, reliable and still quick. If they want to impact on the WCC from the get go, there is probably no one better on the present market. Secondly, there is also Ant Davidson who is both quick and technically-minded. Conway is nowhere near these guys in terms of ability and though Ericsson may get the seat because of his Merc connections, it will only be until Vettel can be extracted from Red Bull. Either way, MGP will still not want TV audiences, world-wide, to see their beautiful cars rammed into tyre walls and Armco by unskilled, teenage petrolheads. The whole situation underlines just how uncompetitive the current WCC has suddenly become. In perspective, losing Button was a massive managerial error and the 'Schumacher is coming story' has been nothing more than an elaborate smokescreen to disguise this monumental gaffe. Rosberg is good but he's no Button and suffers a little from the same 'perfect car' syndrome. The Silver Arrows start on the back foot - big time. I am told by several sources that it was Ross Brawn's protracted deliberations over whether Jenson's second-half form was 'first WDC' nerves or a flaw in his driving skills [thereby, initiating a failure to sign the new Champion straight after his astonishing drive in Brazil] that lost him Button's respect and more critically, his substantial talents. I understand Ron Dennis walks around Woking with a permanent smile on his face nowadays.

I'm not surprised.

I think Mclaren and Ferrari will be the teams to beat this season. They have good cars, started developing the 2010 car early and crucially both have one established driver and one "newbie" but experienced WDC.

Red Bull will be snapping at their heels and will pick up the odd win/podium. Brawn/Mercedes will be scrapping it out with Red Bull/Renault. I believe Rosberg/Heidfeld will take time to adjust to the new team/cars. Always happens.

Brawn made a big error here. All the good drivers are snapped up or not competing. Jense had at least won them a WDC and despite his mid term blip still delivered the goods and earned points consistently. With a WDC under his belt he will be more confident and relaxed. Barrichello, for all his faults is a fast driver in a good car and did pretty well too. Although Barrichello is knocking on a bit, if Brawn was going to lose Jense, he should have kept Barrichello to provide some continuity and still give himself the chance of competing at a higher level by having someone who knows the team, the car's foibles, etc.

Kubica is better than all the doubtful (and not few already signed up, for instance, Massa) and his deal with Renault could become nothing if Mercedes bets on him.

Regarding which teams will be up there, FIA will decide or might have already decided. Does Ferrari have the political mojo to defend Alonso from Whiting? Can McLaren again buy enough cranes? Not last, having Brawn scammed Honda of millions upon millons (granted, many pockets have fatten from this deal) will the "genius" be able to get out of FIA and for himself another six wins by season start?

And let's be honest, what reliable news do we have on half the teams for 2010? Geez, even teams like Renault could be leaving... and which new teams will actually be able to make it by the time the season starts? News from any of their cars, guys?

I'm not surprised.

I think Mclaren and Ferrari will be the teams to beat this season. They have good cars, started developing the 2010 car early and crucially both have one established driver and one "newbie" but experienced WDC.

Red Bull will be snapping at their heels and will pick up the odd win/podium. Brawn/Mercedes will be scrapping it out with Red Bull/Renault. I believe Rosberg/Heidfeld will take time to adjust to the new team/cars. Always happens.

Brawn made a big error here. All the good drivers are snapped up or not competing. Jense had at least won them a WDC and despite his mid term blip still delivered the goods and earned points consistently. With a WDC under his belt he will be more confident and relaxed. Barrichello, for all his faults is a fast driver in a good car and did pretty well too. Although Barrichello is knocking on a bit, if Brawn was going to lose Jense, he should have kept Barrichello to provide some continuity and still give himself the chance of competing at a higher level by having someone who knows the team, the car's foibles, etc.

spoken like a true TF - I totally agree.

Talking teams...

I think red bull might struggle a bit at the start of the season having thrown everything into this year. I see McLaren being on top at the start, but only just. Followed closely by Ferrari, RedBull & Merc.

McLaren & Ferrari could implode as they've done so many times before (Management idiocy from McLaren / Pit lane f-ups from Ferrari) - always nice to see.

Best of the rest...

I'm going to say Force India, but possibly Renault if KK gets the second drive and RK remains in the first.

Talking drivers...

I see Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso in that order. I think Hamilton will have a string start, but Vettel will be more consistent over the season. Alonso will be hampered slightly by being the new guy in Ferrari.

I think the Mercedes "surprise" driver will turn out not to be that great a surprise.

I'm not surprised.

Well, I suppose the driver really _won't_ be that great a surprise if you just reply "I'm not surprised" to everything posted in this thread ;) (now be clever and quote and that and reply with "I'm not surprised" because you knew you would anyway before I told you to).

Well, I suppose the driver really _won't_ be that great a surprise if you just reply "I'm not surprised" to everything posted in this thread ;) (now be clever and quote and that and reply with "I'm not surprised" because you knew you would anyway before I told you to).

I'm not surprised. There, would not want to disappoint you. :)

The monkey typing your post is a bit of a cross one. Suggest you give him some time off and let the other 8 have a go.... :P

I'm not surprised.

Brawn must have been seriously confident that JB would re-sign to have released Rubens in the first place. Why then, did he find it so hard to make the guy feel wanted? I actually believe Button had already made his mind up to move on and consequently, caught Brawn and Co completely unawares. Hence, the animosity that pertains and the childish ban precluding Jens from joining his new team until Jan 1 2010.

I think everybody knew about Rosberg and if they were talking about a surprise then they were not only expecting Jenson departure but actually causing it, I think that other surprise driver is someone who they have been talking for a long time and they were making the space for him at the team, other way that surprise stuff just doesn't make any any sense.

I think we're getting our gullible F1 fan-heads taken for a spin with this. Generating as much interest as possible, keep the off season exciting. Merc stamping their authority all over Brawn. I'll accept I might be wrong though and if I was to indulge in a little F1 foreplay, I'd have to say I'd love it to be James Rossiter. But its not, so I wont.

I'll accept I might be wrong though and if I was to indulge in a little F1 foreplay, I'd have to say I'd love it to be James Rossiter. But its not, so I wont.

Well, let me help you put your bra back on, it won't be. If you'll allow me to caress my own nipples a little though, whilst wiggling my hips and saying "boom chicka wow wow", I still think it might be Michael.

Well, let me help you put your bra back on, it won't be. If you'll allow me to caress my own nipples a little though, whilst wiggling my hips and saying "boom chicka wow wow", I still think it might be Michael.

:lol::clap3: Dribs. The idea of Schumi back has gone past foreplay. It's sheer fever pitch!

A lot of rookies get tested by teams in the winter period, every year, certainly doesnt mean that the 2nd seat is likely to go to a rookie though. And if they did, Merc would be putting all their eggs in the Rosberg basket - they wouldnt be that stupid.

Merc probably are just trying to generate interest (Norbert Haug hasnt denied the Schumacher rumours yet) - my advice to them is just sign Jacques Villeneuve cos I guarantee that will get them big headlines and controversy to last all the way til March!

A lot of rookies get tested by teams in the winter period, every year, certainly doesnt mean that the 2nd seat is likely to go to a rookie though. And if they did, Merc would be putting all their eggs in the Rosberg basket - they wouldnt be that stupid.

Merc probably are just trying to generate interest (Norbert Haug hasnt denied the Schumacher rumours yet) - my advice to them is just sign Jacques Villeneuve cos I guarantee that will get them big headlines and controversy to last all the way til March!

Villeneuve? Fisichella? Where have you been, 1997?

Agreed. Given the Tsunami-like wave of self publicity surrounding this matter, Mercedes GP needs to come up with someone other than a rookie or Mr. Haug will have one of those aforementioned eggs on his face... which would at least match the food stains usually seen on his shirt front.

(Sorry, Norbert, that was cruel.)