Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

F1 Gets A New Scoring System

The FIA World Council has agreed to adopt the new top 10 points scoring system proposed by the F1 Commission. This is due to the expanded grid of 13 teams. The aim of this is to allow more teams to score points, and thus have something to sell to their sponsors.

The new system also increases the gap between the top three runners and the rest. The ratio between the winner, second and third places remains the same with the runner-up scoring 80% of the total scored by the winner; the third-placed finisher will still score 60% of the winner

OH NO! TEAMS THAT DON'T DESERVE TO BE ON THE GRID NOW NEED THE CHANCE TO SCORE FROM P 32,000 TO BE FAIR TO THEM!!!!!!

Stupid system.

Now they'll "points race" in the top 10 spots. "Oh, I'm in P10 now, good night." And who'll risk retiring with a bold overtake when 10 drivers will now gain points on them?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 is the way to go because I said so.

:mellow:

great - they've worked out the percentages, now have they worked out what actually points thy'll be getting?

see if they give first place 10 points, then 5th = 3.2 points, 6th = 2.4, 8th = 1.2 err - am I the only one who thinks that's stupid.

increasing the 1st place score to 11,12,13,14,15 etc etc etc doesn't work either.

The lowest score that 1st place can get with all the other places scoring a whole number of points using those percentages is...

It would work likes this...

1st = 25pts = 100%

2nd = 20pts = 80% = -5pts

3rd = 15pts = 60% = -5pts

4th = 10pts = 40% = -5pts

5th = 8pts = 32% = -2pts

6th = 6pts = 24% = -2pts

7th = 5pts = 20% = -1pts

8th = 3pts = 12% = -2pts

9th = 2pts = 8% = -1pts

10th = 1pt = 4% = -1pts

also - 7th place score doesn't fit the curve either - 7th should be 4pts (16%) not 5pts.

the whole curve isn't even much good

post-2537-126058318991_thumb.jpg

Oh no! Not the points again! Who seriously thinks that the scoring system has any relevance regarding the F1 show? "Ayrton vs Prost was actually boring, thank god they had that scoring system back then to make it exciting!" yeah, right...

It's stupid. If the points awarded are too close, then people will blame boredom on the fact of too much speculation and the fact that you can win a championship a la Keke Rosberg, with just one win. Spread them apart "to make guys really fight for first place" and Button would have been crowned champion by Monaco and we would have wanted to kill ourselves.

Give points up to 10th place, that won't make USF1 become more real. That won't make the usual (and brand new) backmarkers suddenly go blazing through the field to get 1 point. It's not that it's not worth it. IT'S JUST THAT THEY FRIGGIN' CAN'T!

Now stop wasting time with stupid score system. Is like improving the looks of the F1 girls or the quality of the food at the stands. Just let the damn teams test to make improvements, and adapt the rules for cars and tracks that actually allow some kind of overtaking based on skills.

Oh, yeah, I guess that actually means you will have to think. Stupid FIA guys. And Adam is stupid too. Just 'cause.

They'll be handing out consolation prizes soon enough. ''Here. Have an ice lolly and a sherbet bag. Thanks for taking part.''

I wonder how much money was wasted into researching these figures? I know us petrolheads are the hardest fans to please but this is ridiculous.

Oh no! Not the points again! Who seriously thinks that the scoring system has any relevance regarding the F1 show? "Ayrton vs Prost was actually boring, thank god they had that scoring system back then to make it exciting!" yeah, right...

yep

It's stupid. If the points awarded are too close, then people will blame boredom on the fact of too much speculation and the fact that you can win a championship a la Keke Rosberg, with just one win. Spread them apart "to make guys really fight for first place" and Button would have been crowned champion by Monaco and we would have wanted to kill ourselves.

exactly

Give points up to 10th place, that won't make USF1 become more real. That won't make the usual (and brand new) backmarkers suddenly go blazing through the field to get 1 point. It's not that it's not worth it. IT'S JUST THAT THEY FRIGGIN' CAN'T!

you're so ****ing right!

Now stop wasting time with stupid score system. Is like improving the looks of the F1 girls or the quality of the food at the stands. Just let the damn teams test to make improvements, and adapt the rules for cars and tracks that actually allow some kind of overtaking based on skills.

about everything!

Oh, yeah, I guess that actually means you will have to think. Stupid FIA guys. And Adam is stupid too. Just 'cause.

oh

It's alright... considering the system it is replacing.

I find it amusing how hard they tried to be exactly the scoring system they copied from, that is, MotoGP.

Anyway, there are some discrepancies down there (someone did the math) but it seems to me that otherwise they would be awarding half or quarter points for the sake of mathematical "beauty".

In any case, now ten cars score, that's what it comes down to. So there will be more cars pushing the tail-end to enter the, well, points. It basically frees up room for two more wildcard drivers so now we will have 4-5-6 depending how the drivers in the 2,3 top teams fckup.

Of the entire business, what I like most is the difference between 1st and 3rd. That might create some pressure at the front...

Now to await the time when the script becomes known and we can see how this fits in the big picture. After all, does it not make sense now (in hindsight) why Ecclestone wanted a championship by wins last season? That's right, dear all, that's right.

Points are points....and at the end, a champion will be crowned...and thats all we need...

And at least this means no stupid medals system.

Well, if the ratio is the same as before, then how does that affect overtaking and taking risks?

Seems the only benefit is that it provides more motive for the midfield teams.

You can still build a lead in the start of the season if you have the better car and then play it safe later on.

Probably a bit better than the older system as you can still pickup a few points if you are running high and mess up due to a mistake or overtaking.

There's no big change, it's ok. I'd multiply it by two or three and give points to 11th to 30th. [img]http://www.totalf1.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_think.gif[/img]

I would like to think that despite being old and set in my ways I am always open to change but this does not strike me in a positive manner. How many points do they get for putting a car on the track for Friday practice? As 'HandyNZL' states, at least we're no longer discussing medals ("Here you go, son, wear it in good health and congratulations on a hard fought 10th place.") but still, is it necessary for F1 to be forever reinventing itself?

I'm with 'Quiet One' on this: in essence, just leave it the f**k alone.

i dont like it because it screws up the histroy of points in F1. I mean its good that top 10 get points and more reward for going for the win but id rather a medal system that stuffing history.

The financial consequence of scoring at least a point on a race is that you do not have to pay Bernie for transporting your toys on his freight jets.

Along with a professional, permanent stewarding body comprising an ex-driver element, the new points system are excellent moves from the new President, Jean Todt. The latter gives the minnows and more importantly, their sponsors something to race for and the former is way, way, way, way overdue. I do not see any negatives in the system at all.

Is better than 2009 system but I would like to see more difference betwenn 1st and 2nd posotion. Maybe 27,1514962876 for the winner and 24,999984567 for the second. The 10th should achieve 0.95666666. i propose .7234 point for the fastest lap and addittional 2,333333 for the guy/team with pole position + fastest lap + race winner + record time changing tyres. Overrall the guy who were in front for more laps at the end of the season will score 13.111123 points more.

This should clear up things!

Is better than 2009 system but I would like to see more difference betwenn 1st and 2nd posotion. Maybe 27,1514962876 for the winner and 24,999984567 for the second. The 10th should achieve 0.95666666. i propose .7234 point for the fastest lap and addittional 2,333333 for the guy/team with pole position + fastest lap + race winner + record time changing tyres. Overrall the guy who were in front for more laps at the end of the season will score 13.111123 points more.

This should clear up things!

Thank you, Argento. Fortunately one of us has put aside his personal preferences for the good of the sport.

:clap3:

I'm ok as long as 1st scores more points than 2nd...and 2nd more than 3rd, etc... because the opposite would be stupid...

:dam: Oh no!I've just given the FIA another idea!!!

I like the new system. Go on, slap me with a f*cking wet fish. 11th place man will fight instead of cruising. 2nd place man will see a bigger reward for trying to nab first.

I like the new system. Go on, slap me with a f*cking wet fish. 11th place man will fight instead of cruising. 2nd place man will see a bigger reward for trying to nab first.

You are wrong. It is the same.

1. place = 2. place + 7. place

10 = 8 + 2 (old)

25 = 20 + 5 (new)

So no bigger reward, just inflation.

yes true

You are wrong. It is the same.

1. place = 2. place + 7. place

10 = 8 + 2 (old)

25 = 20 + 5 (new)

So no bigger reward, just inflation.

also true

so...

give everyone points right down to 20th, but keep the ratios approximately the same - why not?

Dribs - you think there should be a greater gap between 1st and 2nd yes?

Actually I tend to disagree.

I think too much emphasis is placed on race wins and less on consistency at the mo.

Personally I think that two 4th place finishes are better than a win and a DNF - with the current and 2010 system it is not.

If Button had been rewarded even more points than the 2nd place finisher at the start of 2009 the WDC would have been decided even earlier.

On the other hand, I can understand the argument that you may have in saying that a driver will tend to be conservative and stay in 4th rather than risk a DNF if the points are too close.

Quiet one pointed out earlier that there's no perfect system and that there will be complaints both ways.

Both the 2009 and 2010 scoring are (almost) a happy compromise between our differing opinions.

Possibly bonus points for fastest lap and for finishing within 5 secs of the driver ahead of you - that would keep them pushing right down the field.

Hm. Was gonna majorly disagree with you. But having seen your point, it does make sense.

You want what we all want. Wheel to wheel all out racing. I disagree partly because like I said earlier the new system is making it easier. Like handing out candy to a kid.

If Ross Brawn can do it, then I'm sure others will follow suit.

Well. Now I'll slap you with a wet fish as I've yet to come across a dry one.