Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

F1 Gets A New Scoring System

EDIT: I wish I could learn to read English....I just spent 15 minutes responding to something you haven't said. I have deleted that post in favor of this one:

I agree with you, Andres.

Lets assume it's a bar where we can go to the bathroom without a buddy to guard our rear.

I suppose I could comment on the history of F1, and how overtaking has never been commonplace, and bore everyone to death by proving that nothing is intrinsically wrong with the on-track racing of F1. I wont do that.

I will say that yes, the grid is close...separated by, what was it, two tenths or somesuch tiny number? I will also agree that it's difficult for a driver to follow behind another into a braking zone to set up a classical pass up the inside. Too much aero wake from the car ahead. Given all this, and more that I haven't stated, did we see overtaking in '09? Yes. Was it exciting? I thought so, but there were the usual boring moments and races.

In '10, driver's skill will still make a difference in a race....it will be about making no mistakes instead of being better skilled..which I could argue is all part of racecraft anyway.

I understand that you want the action of the 60's through the 80's again, but I really think we're adding to those old races elements and excitement that really weren't there. I just torrented a few seasons from the '80's and I must say, it really felt like watching today's F1. Sure, there were awe-inspiring moments, but I could point to a few of those in the past decade.

Really, everything is fine. Grab a tea or a beer or a whiskey, sit back and enjoy the racing.

While a lot of the racing were (also) boring in the 50s to 80s period (or the 1906 to 80s more accurately), there were some good/epic races (in the dry) as well (once in a while).

The old Monza for example had photo finish races in 67, 69 and 71 and hold the record for most on-track lead changes, 41 to be accurate, in 1964.

Today only the the wet/weather-influenced races are any good.

The decline of the good/epic dry weather overtaking begun in the early 70s due to chicane-isation and/or elimination of the slipstream tracks, poor aero regulations and the standardization/spec-ing of the cars (the introduction of minimum weight limit and some standardized dimensions).

Monza after 71, with the chicanes put in, was never the same and the usual 25 to 40 on-track lead changes became a memory; the same was true for Silverstone after the chicanes of 74 and new Spa from the 80s onwards was never like the old Spa; Rheims was a memory, Monthlery and AVUS were old, ancient memories.

Some overtaking data, from Cliptheapex:

The overtaking figures for each race do not include:

• Position changes on the first lap of the race
  • Position changes due to drivers lapping backmarkers
  • Positions gained in the pits
  • Positions gained when a car has a serious technical problem; e.g. puncture, accident damage, etc.

f1_total_passes.png

f1_total_passes_dry.png

As you can see dry weather overtaking was at an all time low in 2009 and 2008 (but 2008 had plenty of wet/weather influenced races), with the new rules virtually making no difference.

Also the average and equalized numbers for dry weather passing were at an all time low in 2009.

Again stupid. 15 vs. 12

4th place is almost equal to 3rd place.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Stop giving point to losers and backmarkers.

11, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 would have been my preferred system.