Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

The Schumacher Thread

Just saw this on formula1.com and got a little worried, but I'm sure it's fine - I'm probably just worrying about nothing.

post-2537-126166389223_thumb.jpg

Wow, I never knew your neck was like that! Might want to get it looked at some time, you know?

Did you just say 'Button' and 'real good racing' all in the same breath?

No. I breathed out first, played with some bells, then set myself on fire, doused the flames out with sand and then said it. :-)

Here 's my 2cts!!

Good on him to come back!

He will remove all doubt the Ferrari fans, like me, had since 2006, about whether his retirement was premature and he could still be the "hero" he once was.

Having said that, I believe the majority of Ferrari fans felt really strange about him filling in for FM in the summer, when it was first announced! It didn't happen but it had a considerable impact! It felt as if F1 was going back in time in a glorious age and the "king" was back!

He earned that "title", since, concerning the Ferrari fans who used to watch F1 before he went to Ferrari, like me, he was the guy to bring the team to the front of the grid and help us make fun of our fellow F1 followers who supported other teams, after years of humiliation!!

However, he chose to leave Ferrari and come back in action with Mercedes, generally considered Ferrari's arch-rivals.

As a Ferrari fan, I consider the Schumacher chapter closed and in the past. I didn't feel like that a few weeks ago, when he was well settled in the team!

So, what I'm trying to say is that I really hope he gets his B### kicked by FM and FA, but I 'll probably be happy to see him finishing 3rd and maybe a win or two!

Bye-bye Schumi!!!

(My sig needs some editing as well!!)

Here 's my 2cts!!

Good on him to come back!

He will remove all doubt the Ferrari fans, like me, had since 2006, about whether his retirement was premature and he could still be the "hero" he once was.

Having said that, I believe the majority of Ferrari fans felt really strange about him filling in for FM in the summer, when it was first announced! It didn't happen but it had a considerable impact! It felt as if F1 was going back in time in a glorious age and the "king" was back!

He earned that "title", since, concerning the Ferrari fans who used to watch F1 before he went to Ferrari, like me, he was the guy to bring the team to the front of the grid and help us make fun of our fellow F1 followers who supported other teams, after years of humiliation!!

However, he chose to leave Ferrari and come back in action with Mercedes, generally considered Ferrari's arch-rivals.

As a Ferrari fan, I consider the Schumacher chapter closed and in the past. I didn't feel like that a few weeks ago, when he was well settled in the team!

So, what I'm trying to say is that I really hope he gets his B### kicked by FM and FA, but I 'll probably be happy to see him finishing 3rd and maybe a win or two!

Bye-bye Schumi!!!

(My sig needs some editing as well!!)

Team loyalty versus driver loyalty fascinates me.

I am a fan of Michael, whatever team he is in. A team is just a thing. It becomes what it is because of its people. It's people that have the ability, the faults, the passion and the success to gain a following. Simply switching allegiance from Michael to another because of the the colour of his overalls is an alien concept, to me. But then I guess that's why the Italian tifosi are the way they are.

I am a fan of Michael, whatever team he is in. A team is just a thing. It becomes what it is because of its people. It's people that have the ability, the faults, the passion and the success to gain a following. Simply switching allegiance from Michael to another because of the the colour of his overalls is an alien concept, to me. But then I guess that's why the Italian tifosi are the way they are.

I guess it depends on the reasons someone is an F1 fan!

The insanely fast cars and the technological competition is an aspect of the sport I really admire, even though the technological competition aspect has been beaten half to death these last few years! I 'm sure we all remember the past decade where the teams would introduce new engines and crazy aero solutions almost at every race! This a part of the sport where the team creates the spectacle, not the driver! The cars have physical limitations and is up to the driver to take full advantage of the car's potential, not exceed it, because then it will be slower! Of course the people make a team, but they all follow the team's policy and tradition!

An engineer, a mechanic or a driver may be talented , but in the end, the team was the one to put them in the position to prove themselves by providing the necessary equipment and working environment to do so! That even goes for any given team or company president! LDM, for instance, cannot get up from bed one morning and say that Ferrari will be building saloon cars from now on and pulls out from racing! If he had the power to do it, which I don't think he does because of the Ferrari company structure, that would be the end of the team and everything associated with Ferrari heritage! That would equal the death of a person, in terms of the end of a "life" in the sports cars industry and motorsport!

In the end, even though I 'm not fully awake, I believe teams do have a "soul". The team is the members, history, fans and the competitive spirit and passion of the creator and of the people who continue his work combined! The F1 teams weren't appointed as such! They were created with really hard work!

A good driver is vital for a team, but he hardly represents it! He is an employee who has the duty to promote all this hard work! And he is expected to do that every single time! This is the reason teams may seem "heartless" or "unfair" sometimes! The driver is a vital component for a given time! In the overall history of the team, he is just an employee with ridiculously high retainers! Of course I also support drivers with a passion, as was the case with MS, but I that was because of his success for the Ferrari team! I didn't like in his Benetton days but, as I said earlier, I wish him some success for his "Mercedes days"!

Nobody is irreplaceable, as an old Greek saying goes ( I 'm Greek by the way, not Italian)! My whole post may not make that much sense but anyway! I 'll reply AC (after coffee)!!

I guess it depends on the reasons someone is an F1 fan!

The insanely fast cars and the technological competition is an aspect of the sport I really admire, even though the technological competition aspect has been beaten half to death these last few years! I 'm sure we all remember the past decade where the teams would introduce new engines and crazy aero solutions almost at every race! This a part of the sport where the team creates the spectacle, not the driver! The cars have physical limitations and is up to the driver to take full advantage of the car's potential, not exceed it, because then it will be slower! Of course the people make a team, but they all follow the team's policy and tradition!

An engineer, a mechanic or a driver may be talented , but in the end, the team was the one to put them in the position to prove themselves by providing the necessary equipment and working environment to do so! That even goes for any given team or company president! LDM, for instance, cannot get up from bed one morning and say that Ferrari will be building saloon cars from now on and pulls out from racing! If he had the power to do it, which I don't think he does because of the Ferrari company structure, that would be the end of the team and everything associated with Ferrari heritage! That would equal the death of a person, in terms of the end of a "life" in the sports cars industry and motorsport!

In the end, even though I 'm not fully awake, I believe teams do have a "soul". The team is the members, history, fans and the competitive spirit and passion of the creator and of the people who continue his work combined! The F1 teams weren't appointed as such! They were created with really hard work!

A good driver is vital for a team, but he hardly represents it! He is an employee who has the duty to promote all this hard work! And he is expected to do that every single time! This is the reason teams may seem "heartless" or "unfair" sometimes! The driver is a vital component for a given time! In the overall history of the team, he is just an employee with ridiculously high retainers! Of course I also support drivers with a passion, as was the case with MS, but I that was because of his success for the Ferrari team! I didn't like in his Benetton days but, as I said earlier, I wish him some success for his "Mercedes days"!

Nobody is irreplaceable, as an old Greek saying goes ( I 'm Greek by the way, not Italian)! My whole post may not make that much sense but anyway! I 'll reply AC (after coffee)!!

Don't worry, made perfect sense to me. Nice post.

I am a fan of Michael, whatever team he is in. A team is just a thing. It becomes what it is because of its people [people who aren't Schumi don't count?]. It's people that have the ability, the faults, the passion and the success to gain a following. Simply switching allegiance from Michael to another because of the the colour of his overalls is an alien concept, to me. But then I guess that's why the Italian tifosi are the way they are.

Comon dribs - you can do better than that.

Simply switching allegiance from one team to another based on the colour Schumi's overalls is an alien concept to me. But then I guess that's why Schumi fans are the way they are.

Me thinks you aren't quite sober yet Dribs - that was a terrible argument.

;)

You miss the point Adam..

Schumacher has been by far the most exciting driver to watch in F1 over the last decade at least. It's that fact which makes me a follower, and I dare say dribs too. He is someone who always always tried his darndest to win - putting in extra testing hours for Ferrari when it was allowed and when they were struggling, trying to pass on any bloody track if he had the chance, not willing to give an inch - remember his insane performance at Hungary, 2006 was it, the year Jenson won? What it brings to us the armchair viewers is some unbelievable performances, and eager anticipation for what he will do - I don't think there isn't a genuine fan who wasn't salivating at the prospect of him starting form the back at Monaco for example when he was punished. He is also not afraid to look silly - a rare quality today. That is why when the car isn't that good, like in 2005, he will go that extra length to try and push it to the limit, or crash out trying. He doesn't just want to win, he will try to whatever car he has on the day. It's the spirit that we all loved in Kobayashi for example. Other drivers on the grid have shown glimpses of it - Kimi in the days when he actually cared, Massa on the right track on the right day, Alonso when he isn't fighting imaginary demons, Button at his best (one of the reasons I enjoyed Button's performance last year, and why, when he said on Top Gear a couple of weeks ago that he is a better driver than he was on the show last time, I believed him). He is the guy who would do crazy times in practice, then try to go faster, crash and walk out with the half smirk half smile on his face.

In terms of sporting spectacles, not much comes close..

And it doesn't matter how well he does next year. Only a moron would think he would do horribly of course. Something that has surprisingly escaped comment is how willing Brawn was to hire him, after 3 years out of the sport, at 41, without even a test drive. And for people who say he has his reputation to lose if he isn't as good as the best today, well, you're bloody idiots. If you want to measure his reputation, 1991-2006 is enough to do your 'measurements', anyone who isn't convinced won't ever be. 2010 doesn't mean much to what he did earlier - not that it will stop the morons with their '2010 proves that he only won when he had the best car blabla' posts.

No driver in the time I have watched F1 has had that kind of desire or kept it going for so long.

They found what was wrong with Schumi's neck. Apparently, his discomfort was caused by the pressure on his spine caused by a deeply embedded tongue up his a##. I believe it belongs to you, Cav :P

Oh, sorry, TPS. Bah, you are still Cav. Wanna root for Alonso? :D

Andres, I like the image - me and you, arm in arm, in matching red shirts cheering on the same team.

How dreadfully dull would that be!

Bah you are too interesting to agree with =(

Comon dribs - you can do better than that.

Simply switching allegiance from one team to another based on the colour Schumi's overalls is an alien concept to me. But then I guess that's why Schumi fans are the way they are.

Me thinks you aren't quite sober yet Dribs - that was a terrible argument.

;)

Hmm, Adam. Hadn't really thought about it like that. Reading it back I can see why it seems a bit narrow minded and contradictory. Michael as an individual is easier for me to appreciate than the interwoven complexities of a whole team. That dynamic changes as personnel come and go. Michael is more consistent to predict. I think that's what it is.

They found what was wrong with Schumi's neck. Apparently, his discomfort was caused by the pressure on his spine caused by a deeply embedded tongue up his a##. I believe it belongs to you, Cav :P

Oh, sorry, TPS. Bah, you are still Cav. Wanna root for Alonso? :D

:clap3:

Andres, I like the image - me and you, arm in arm, in matching red shirts cheering on the same team.

How dreadfully dull would that be!

Bah you are too interesting to agree with =(

Bah, don't worry, you will always be my favorite arch nemesis around these parts :D

Hmm, Adam. Hadn't really thought about it like that. Reading it back I can see why it seems a bit narrow minded and contradictory. Michael as an individual is easier for me to appreciate than the interwoven complexities of a whole team. That dynamic changes as personnel come and go. Michael is more consistent to predict. I think that's what it is.

Better - I'll give you a B+ for that effort.

*marks report card 'Dribby must try harder, but continues improving daily. His mind does tend to wander when a certain F1 driver is introduced to the conversation though'*

;)

EDIT upgraded to B+ on reflection. Since the rest of the class is doing so badly, I want my mark book to look a little more positive.

Schumacher's not a loser. He is back because he knows something we probably ignore. He has extensive knowledge of F1 (business, politics and sport) and he made the decission after a lengthy period of reflection. He talked to Brawn, Haug... Todt and Ecclestone? Maybe.

If anyone thinks that Schumacher has returned just because he missed racing... Well, the world is wonderful.

Better - I'll give you a B+ for that effort.

*marks report card 'Dribby must try harder, but continues improving daily. His mind does tend to wander when a certain F1 driver is introduced to the conversation though'*

;)

EDIT upgraded to B+ on reflection. Since the rest of the class is doing so badly, I want my mark book to look a little more positive.

Mind wanders?! How dare you! We were talking about team versus driver loyalty, right? So, let us continue.

I think Spain '96 would have to be my favourite. No, wait, Monaco '97. Oh, but then there was Hungary '98 when him and Ross flumoxed Mika And David......no, no, I'll stick with Spain '96. It highlighted his talent in a sort of 'Aytron, Donny '93' kinda way. Mind you, Spa '95 was a bit like that. It was also great to see him bow out with his Brazil '06 charge through the field; the move on Kimi left us in no doubt that he was still quite handy. Then of course there is his work ethic and his fitness. The there's his all round decency and beauty as a human being; almost Messiah like. I'm quite pleased that he's coming back, all told.

Monza '96 was great too because.........oh, hang on, I'm wandering slighty, sorry. Yeah, teams and drivers and all that. Yep. Er.....yeah, there are both, in Formula One. The teams make the cars and the drivers drive them. Is that what we were discussing? I'm sure it was. Now, as far as the drivers go, the best of all time was a guy called Michael Schumacher. He.....

Schumacher's not a loser. He is back because he knows something we probably ignore. He has extensive knowledge of F1 (business, politics and sport) and he made the decission after a lengthy period of reflection. He talked to Brawn, Haug... Todt and Ecclestone? Maybe.

If anyone thinks that Schumacher has returned just because he missed racing... Well, the world is wonderful.

Yeah! He's not a racer. He just likes getting bogged down in all the political bollocks. You wait. He'll be leading in Bahrain, but I bet he pulls into the pits and starts slapping up a few Arabs, just for the sake of it. I do hope so.

Is this thread my christmas present, Cav? Thanks, old boy.

BBC news reported this morning that apparently Michael visits Brackley today and I don't think it will be to buy apples from the market or to buy some crash bungs from Brackley Yamaha.

I draw these positives; If Michael decides to come back it will be to try as hard as possible, that's his nature, so his commitment and effort level will not be in question. He knows how to go around a corner, he hasn't forgotten. The uncertain nature of heavy cars may play into his hands too.

Question marks; Neck, car, strength of competition and how quickly he can adapt to a car that will be quite different in nature to his '06 steed.

The only thing that would be truly awful, for me, would be to see him spooked and out of his depth, Badoer style.

So, just to see him there, to see the reactions of others and to feel the vibe will be lovely. Competitive results would be good, podiums a thrill, wins a dream and a championship the stuff of fairytales. We had one of those last year. I'm hungry for another.

Have no fear Steve, Michael has speed in reserves to make up for the years past. Look at how Mark Martin is going in NASCAR, admitably not quite the challenge as a GP but still shows the greats still have it when other so called good drivers have well and truely lost it.

reasons (in my mind) why hes back

1.Back with his old team

2.Ross Brawn

3.Slicks

4.Suzuka

5.low fuel qualy

6.No TC

All contributing factors no doubt. Especialy being back with Ross Brawn ready to mark they name in the history books with the one of the other great Engineer, driver conbinations; Colin Chapman and Jim Clark.

He is cheating! He is cheating! He said he would hang his helmet and he is back!

Cheater! :P

(Ahhh, feels like home) :D

:lol:

Excellent news.

I'm thinking along the lines of he must have been 'competitive' in the test drives he had earlier on in the year when he was going to replace Massa. He wouldn't contemplate a return to F1 if he had been a country mile away from Kimi's or Massa's times, would he?

Never any doubt in my mind that was the case. You only haved to look at the test in November 2007 when he went straight back on the pace in Catalunya testing.

Very good news but we could have achieved perfection next season with Raikkonen.

Hamilton/Button

Schumacher/Rosberg

Raikkonen/Kubica

Vettel/Webber

Alonso/Massa

Makes it that little bit more sad kimi won't be on the grid in 2010, I agree.

First post to the forum and I think that I am going to hear nothing but negatives from all. With Schumi's return and all the hype about it I wonder just how much worse F1 can get. Lousy race tracks , whiny pampered drivers , rules that make no sense whatsoever , out of control expenses, etc,etc. Now Schumi's back and we all know that if he can be out of racing for this long and still challange for a title then it really shows how bad the situation really is. If he can match and or better what is considered the best out there right now, it shows that what we have really isn't the best of the best. I always thought that F1 was the pinnacle of motor racing but with the slide in the sport for the last 10 years or so I know that this can only be the last ditch effort to try and make what was once the greatest sport into a bigger deposit into Bernies bank account....

Welcome "Slonge" :D

Good post be it slightly negative!!!

If Schumacher can indeed match these younger drivers it will be for me anyway a sign of just how good the man is not how poor the current drivers are as you put it.

F1 needs this shot in the arm and along with Jean Todt I think F1 will make good on a fresh start with an old face.

I'm happy.

Its real cool that he decides to return in the year that Button is defending his championship also.

Maybe we'll see some real good racing from now on.

Nice positive post. If F1 is so crap for Mr Slonge, perhaps he should look elsewhere for his entertainment. 2010 will be an exciting year, I feel and that's the crux of the matter. What teams spend is their affair and always should be. Cheaper tech is available but the

Alonso vs Massa, Lewis vs Jenson, Alonso vs Lewis, Alonso vs Schumacher, Schumacher vs Lewis......

Who's gonna shut up and drive!:(

Vettel , Kubica...Try and make me not miss Kimi too much!

Alonso vs Massa, Lewis vs Jenson, Alonso vs Lewis, Alonso vs Schumacher, Schumacher vs Lewis......

Who's gonna shut up and drive!:(

Vettel , Kubica...Try and make me not miss Kimi too much!

:mellow: Is it me?

:mellow: Is it me?

Alright.

*mechanical voice* Congratulations to all Schumacher fans. Woohoo.

Mind wanders?! How dare you! We were talking about team versus driver loyalty, right? So, let us continue.

I think Spain '96 would have to be my favourite. No, wait, Monaco '97. Oh, but then there was Hungary '98 when him and Ross flumoxed Mika And David......no, no, I'll stick with Spain '96. It highlighted his talent in a sort of 'Aytron, Donny '93' kinda way. Mind you, Spa '95 was a bit like that. It was also great to see him bow out with his Brazil '06 charge through the field; the move on Kimi left us in no doubt that he was still quite handy. Then of course there is his work ethic and his fitness. The there's his all round decency and beauty as a human being; almost Messiah like. I'm quite pleased that he's coming back, all told.

Monza '96 was great too because.........oh, hang on, I'm wandering slighty, sorry. Yeah, teams and drivers and all that. Yep. Er.....yeah, there are both, in Formula One. The teams make the cars and the drivers drive them. Is that what we were discussing? I'm sure it was. Now, as far as the drivers go, the best of all time was a guy called Michael Schumacher. He.....

Right - it's off to the quiet corner for you Steven and you will jolly well stay there until you bring something other than your Schumi fan book, Schumi stiker album and Autographed Schumi Prosthetic Chin for show and tell.