Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Btcc 2010

Yeah, hi. For anyone who cares, the greatest Touring Car race series will soon be back. Already numerous rumours are popping up, here's a run down of what is already confirmed and what is expected in the new year.

Confirmed

2. Jason Plato-Silverline Chevrolet-Chevrolet Cruze (Manufacturer)

20. Alex MacDowell-Silverline Chevrolet-Chevrolet Cruze (Manfuacturer)

4. Matt Neal-Team Honda-Honda Civic (Manufacturer)

52. Gordon Shedden-Team Honda-Honda Civic (Manufacturer)

5. Mat Jackson-Airwaves BMW-BMW 320si

11. Steven Kane-Airwaves BMW-BMW 320si

6. Rob Collard-WSR-BMW 320si

44. Andy Neate-WSR-BMW 320si

21. Tom Onslow-Cole-Team AON-Ford Focus (Manufacturer eligable)

23. Tom Chilton-Team AON-Ford Focus (Manfuacturer eligable)

22. Tom Boardman-Special Tuning UK-SEAT Leon

TBA. TBA-Special Tuning UK-SEAT Leon

27. Martin Johnson-Boulevard Team Racing-Vauxhall Vectra

28. John George-Sunshine.co.uk with Tech Speed-Honda Integra

29. Paul O'Neill-Sunshine.co.uk with Tech Speed-Honda Integra

30. Martin Depper-Forster Motorsport-BMW 320si

37. Arthur Forster-Forster Motorsport-BMW 320si

43. Lea Wood-Central Group Racing-Honda Integra

55. Dave Pinkney-Pinkney Motorsport-Vauxhall Vectra

77. Andrew Jordan-Pirtek Racing-Vauxhall Vectra

88. Phil Glew-Triple Eight Race Engineering-Vauxhall Vectra

888. Fabrizio Giovanardi-Triple 8 Race Engineering-Vauxhall Vectra

98. Matt Hamilton-TH Motorsport-Honda Civic Type R

99. Shaun Hollamby-AmD Miltek Racing.com-VW Golf Mk5

TBA. TBA-Triple Eight Race Engineering-Vauxhall Vectra

Expected through year-drivers will no drive currently!

1. Colin Turkington-Team WSR-BMW 320si (3rd car ready if Colin can find funds. Andy Neate reckons he'll be there at Thruxton)

TBA. Alan Blencowe-?-? (Confirmed interest to race a few weeks ago, third car possibility for Tech Speed later on in season?)

TBA. Adam Jones-?-? (Gone quiet over the winter, potential second driver at Special Tuning UK?)

TBA. Simon Shaw-AmD Miltek Racing.com-VW Golf Mk5 (Team confirmed Shaw would run funds permitting at selected rounds)

Calendar

1 Sunday 4 April Thruxton, Hampshire

2 Sunday 25 April Rockingham, Northamptonshire

3 Sunday 2 May Brands Hatch (Grand Prix), Kent

4 Sunday 6 June Oulton Park (Island), Cheshire

5 Sunday 20 June Croft, North Yorkshire

6 Sunday 8 August Snetterton, Norfolk

7 Sunday 22 August Silverstone (National), Northamptonshire

8 Sunday 5 September Knockhill, Fife

9 Sunday 19 September Donington Park, Leicestershire*

10 Sunday 10 October Brands Hatch (Indy), Kent

*-Doubts continue to loom over Donington in the aftermath of the failed attempt to host the British GP. Alan Gow, series director, still thinks there is a strong chance the BTCC will race there this year however.

So, looks to be a pretty interesting year so far. Lots of questions to be answered in the next few weeks I expect, and looking forward to seeing the entry list and the official media day too.

Here's a fun chart!

1087fb7.png

As you can see, it is hideous, and was made on a hideous program. Colors work as so: white is confirmed, green is likely, yellow is probable, and red is maybe. For teams not confirmed, cars are rated on their likelihood of being used if that team runs. Drivers were assigned random colors based on nothing. * means part-time, though I was too lazy to assign it to all the possible part-timers. I didn't include wishful thinking teams such as Kia, Volvo, and Volkswagen because they're not happening. Kia and VW rumors died months ago when Triple 8 went bye-bye for real. Volvo need Silverline money, Silverline need Plato, Plato's probably staying, so sorry Volvo. Also no wishful thinking such as a works Honda team or the utilization of an Accord by Team Dynamics.

Car count in the 20s, some good combinations, good circuits. I look forward to viewing and enjoying.

Yes, it promises to be an interesting year for sure. One guy who won't be back though is Liam MacMillan and Maxtreme. The team boss of Maxtreme went public on Ten Tenths saying how he was unhappy with the BTCC and confirmed that the team and Liam would be off to SuperCopa next year. Shame for Liam, I think with a bit more experience he could have been one to watch for.

Thank you for the 2010 info, guys. I continue to watch the 2009 series (as Eric knows, broadcast weekly on SPEED TV); the British Touring Car Series is a great way to burn through the winter blues. Mind you, it would be preferable if we could watch the series live or by tape delay but as much needed off-season filler I will gladly consume it.

Yes, it promises to be an interesting year for sure. One guy who won't be back though is Liam MacMillan and Maxtreme. The team boss of Maxtreme went public on Ten Tenths saying how he was unhappy with the BTCC and confirmed that the team and Liam would be off to SuperCopa next year. Shame for Liam, I think with a bit more experience he could have been one to watch for.

Liam's Facebook picture is of him consuming alcohol. I feel no sympathy for that godless sinner.

Or something. He never really impressed me in BTCC, though the Toledo's just a tad dated. Love, love, love the Le

Liam's Facebook picture is of him consuming alcohol. I feel no sympathy for that godless sinner.

Or something. He never really impressed me in BTCC, though the Toledo's just a tad dated. Love, love, love the León, though. I hope to see a C30, too, or the Kia cee'd touring car, or a VW Scirocco...but none of those three will happen. I just know it. The C30's the only one that could, but there'd be more rumors about what team would run it if anyone was going to make a serious effort at it.

Too bad to lose another car, but, better than losing a competitive one. Giovanardi and Neal are not my favorites, but to see VX Racing off the grid is disappointing since they are competitive.

Still, those races are great. They're everthing NASCAR could have been, and should have been.

The Toledo might not be dead. It seems now at least one of the cars Maxtreme owned is now for sale on www.touringcarspares.com as well as George's Integra. Will be interesting to see if any of these two are picked up. Also, I've added the alst ex VXR Vectra to the rumours lsit. Since Jordan and Pickney took one car each, there is still one left (good maths there). I reckon we'll see that on the grid though, the Vectra is too successful a car and the price tag too tempting for any new team (or old for that matter) to buy it.

Oh, and in other news, it seems almsot certainly like Team WSR will have a make over for 2010. It seems like the Team RAC sponsorship may be gone and Aviva sponsorship in. I expect something like this for the new season (from a WTCC race CT did a couple of years back). Interesting stuff.

The speculation comes from this article:

The WSR team's BMW 320si that Colin Turkington steered to title gloryin 2009 will be on display throughout. A second WSR car – due to beunveiled by Turkington on the Thursday morning – will also be on showon the central Autosport stage.

Sounds like this new car may not be a Beemer. Possible NGTC prototype for 2011?

On John George selling the Honda...is he leaving the sport, or will he perhaps by that other Vectra? Or is he just selling one of his Integras (they fielded one for Matt Hamilton, so presumably there is more than one Honda there)...

Aviva own RAC. So if one's gone, so is the other. If Aviva do sponsor, it's rebranding, but not a new sponsorship.

Yes, I know, but the rumours are that RAC want to develop the Aviva brand as much as they've done with the RAC brand.

Stephen Jelley pretty much confirmed for next year. Fun idea though:

'Scoop' of Jelley' scheme launched

Fans willhave a chance to put their own messages on Stephen Jelley

Vauxhall, as a manufacturer, have pulled out of the championship, so no Insignias seem likely at the moment. Saying that, privateer Thorney Motorsport have ambitions to run an Insignia towards the end of the year ahead of the 2011 season when NGTC rules start to take over.

Team AmD hope to enter the 2010 championship with a VW Golf! Very interesting stuff:

AmD BTCC VW Golf.

Our well kept secret is out, AmD are entering the 2010 British TouringCar Championship (BTCC). The really interesting news is that its chosencar is a VW Golf, a manufacturer unseen in the BTCC arena for over 20years.

"We are really proud to be bringing the Volkswagen name back intotop-line touring cars. We have been working on a plan to move up to theBTCC arena after winning the Dunlop Sportmaxx Cup in 2009 and a BTCC VWGolf is a perfect fit," said AmD's Shaun Hollamby. "The VW Golf is oneof the UK's most popular cars and it would be great to see hordes of VWGolf owners cheering us on throughout the year!"

Further team sponsors will be announced over the coming months.

Hollamby will be the main driver and Simon Shaw, who won the DunlopSportmaxx title for AmD, is trying to raise the necessary budget tocampaign the car at selected rounds of the championship.

The car is based on a MK5 VW Golf shell with a 2.0 16V normallyaspirated power unit with a competitive 285bhp. Sadev sequentialgearbox, KW competition suspension, Milltek exhaust, HJS Sportscatalytic converter and Alcon brake and clutch parts complete theperformance package.

"Starting with a new car package, we expect 2010 to be a gradualdevelopment season but I am confident I can get a few competitiveresults. Winning races is not a realistic target at this stage but,having won races in every series in which I have competed, I would liketo think I can hold my own at this level," said Hollamby.

The AmD BTCC Golf will be on display at the Autosport and Pistonheads Show next weekend in Birmingham.

The first round of the 2010 Dunlop BTCC takes place at Thruxton, Hants in April.

Link to the story. Nice to see a new car on the grid!

Couple of new liveries for the 2010 season unveiled at the AUTOSPORT show today. First up is Andrew Jordan's rather bright Pirtek car:

btcc10011401-a.jpg

btcc10011401.jpg

Next up, team WSR's new livery and some news!

btcc10011402.jpg

btcc10011402-a.jpg

As you can see, the notable differance is a major cut down on RAC sponsorship with Alvara now taking lead sponsorship role.

As for team WSR news, well, champion Turkington has currently not signed a contract with the team to renew his contract as yet, but is expected to do so, as in Colin's wods "it's only very early in the year". Elsewhere, team boos d#ck Bennets confirmed that WSR might well run a third car this season.Even so, changes can be expected to this livery before Thruxton apparently.

Another day, another new car to enter the championship! IF Motorsport confirm intentions to race two Fiat Grande Punto Abarths in the up coming season:

Scottish sportscar squad IF Motorsport are going to enter a pair of NGTC specification Abarth Grande Puntos in the British Touring Car Championship 2010. "The Abarth is the most likley car that we'll run, but we are still taking to two other manufacturers," team boss Bryce Wilson said to Autosport.

The team is facing a tough time to get everything sorted ahead of the season.

"Obviously we know time's against us, and I think it's unlikely that we'll be ready for the start of the season. But I'm sure that with some decent testing in the bag, then we can be competitive once we do get on track," said Wilson.

No drivers have been signed to the team as of yet. But according to Autosport, Wilson is going to perform most of the pre season testing him self.

Wilson has previously been a Renault Spider Cup champion and worked as the Nissan test driver in the BTCC during the Super Touring-era.

Question marks should be raised towards the statement of the team to run a NGTC specification car as those rules have not been finalised yet and will not come in to effect until 2011.

Meanwhile, Phil Glew remains in the hunt for a BTCC drive in 2010 after making a plea to team bosses:

Renault Clio champion Phil Glew has made an impassioned plea to BTCC bosses to give him a chance in 2010. Speaking to TouringCarTimes, the rising star said,

Matt Neal aims to go back to his dad's team, Team Dynamics:

Matt Neal has admitted he aims to race for Team Dynamics in 2010, but the deal is not done yet. The double BTCC champion has confirmed during a charity karting event at Autosport International that currently nothing is signed and that everything is still

No Martyn Bell for 2010. Injury rules him out. :(

Martyn Bell will sit out this year's British Touring Car Championship on medical grounds. Bell, who scored points twice for the Tech-Speed Honda squad last season, missed three rounds of the 2009 season after a fall while on holiday.

Despite believing the injuries to his hip were easing, it has been revealed that they are, in fact, worse than first thought.

"It's been common knowledge that I have been carrying an injury since July, but after extensive tests and treatment following the final round of the season at Brands Hatch, it has now been discovered that I suffered a fracture in my hip, and have now developed arthritis," said Bell.

"Added to the fact that I also require surgery on a long-standing back injury, I've been forced into the difficult decision to sit out the 2010 season.

"It's not a decision I have taken lightly, but in reality, I had no option. My sponsors and backers fully understand the reasons behind the decision and have already said that they will continue to support me despite this setback."

While Bell, 45, wants to return to the BTCC in 2011, his decision to take a sabbatical means that Tech-Speed has an available seat alongside Paul O'Neill for the coming season.

I wonder who that puts alongside Owy?

Some general round up over the past few days of what has been going on in the world of BTCC.

• Former Production-class driver Alan Blencowe is looking to make a come back to the series in 2010, it looked likely to start with that it could be with Techspeed (but see below), but that now appears to have disappeared. A private independant team, perhaps?
  • John George has signed for Techspeed alongside Paul O'Neill for 2010 in Martyn Bell's absence. That means George's team is no more. His car WAS for sale, so let's see if anyone bites.
  • Triple 8 have said they are close to a deal to return to the BTCC with a single Vauxhall Vectra. Early reports suggest to Giovanardi being run by the championship winning team.
  • Matt Neal has recently been testing a revised Honda Civic for Team Dynamics. This adds to the speculation that he'll return to his dad's team foe 2010 after VXR's withdrawal.
  • RML are apparently close to returning too with two Cruzes. Jason Plato has been confirmed as one of the drivers by a team insider over Twitter, but the offending tweets have since been deleted.
  • Rob Collard is looking likely to return to Motorbase next season. A deal is apparently close with Motorbase having intentions to run a second car. There are as many as 5 drivers in contention for that second seat with Adam, Kane, Porsche Carrea Cup GB champion Tim Bridgeman and Phil Glew amongst the favourites.
  • One team that WON'T be back for 2010 though is Bamboo Engineering with Harry Vaulkhard. They've moved to WTCC for 2010 and are targeting Colin Turkington to join their team, however Turkington's prefered choice is understood to be with WSR in the BTCC.

• ITV4 has once again confirmed it's deal to show yet more action at every round of the BTCC this year. This deal means there will be 6 and a half hours of live racing shown instead of the 6 of 2009. A 90 minutes highlight programme will be shown on ITV1 the week after.

Interesting speculation on ten tenths as to a juicy comment a writer from touring car times has left:

"Big BTCC news soon. Changes the championship dramatically."

News could come today or the next couple of days, when I asked whether it was good or bad news:

"supposed it depends on your point of view, but for most I reckon it'll be good."

Latest news and rumours surrounding the world of BTCC!

• Tom Boardman is to return to the BTCC after previously racing in the WTCC last season. He'll use a Seat Leon TFSIand will run under the banner of Special Tuning UK. The team has plans to expand to a second car with Gordon Shedden being a likely candidate.
  • Matt Neal has recently been testing with Team Dynamics recently in a modified Civic. Although not confirmed as a driver yet, it is likely he'll be there and the rumour mill is pointing to possibly more manufacturer support from Honda or even being fully backed by the Japanese automaker with recent positive sounds coming out to add substance to this rumour.
  • John George's Integra is reported as "sold". Rumours that it could be racing with a new owner in 2010

More news:

• WSR, Motorbase, Special Tuning UK, Dynamics and Forster Motorsport were all present at a Thruxton test on the 19th February, with Special Tuning UK unveiling their livery:

btcc10022002-i.jpg

• Andy Neate has been confirmed as one of WSR's drivers, see here, does that confirm WSR's intentions to run three cars with Jelley and Turkington expected to be present too?
  • Jason Plato reported on his twitter that news of his 2010 BTCC plans should come "soon."

It's that time again

• Motorsport news is reporting that an RML run Chevrolet UK manufacturer team is likely. Plato is pretty much certain to be the number 1 driver with Jackson a likely number 2. Cruzes expected for both.
  • Rob Collard is all but confirmed as the number 1 driver at Motorbase for another year, a second driver announcement is expected in the next few weeks
  • TH Motorsport should be back again this year. Atfer George signed for Techspeed, I thought they wouldn't be back, but Matt Hamilton seems likely to return in the hands of a Integra or Civic Type R.
  • Paul Luti, sadly, won't make it to the grid. It was announced they haven't secured sufficient funds to race in 2010 in the MG ZS.

Been a while since I updated here. One big news story currently:

Stephen Jelley, after failing to get enough funds to fun in the BTCC in 2010, has moved to one of the BTCC support championships, being the Porche Carerra Cup GB. Suprise news today though, Rob Collard will make the switch from Motorbase to WSR after previous news that a contract with Motorbase was very close. It's suprised everyone, even Motorbase team boos Dave Batrum it seems:

Rob Collard has done a BMW team switch, leaving Motorbase Performance for rival BMW team West Surrey Racing.

"This was too good an opportunity to turn down, as I could see the WSR BMW's on track last year and at times they were just awesome," said Collard. Collard last raced for WSR in 2006, driving an MG ZS, before switching to Motorbase in 2007.

"It was a very difficult decision for me to make a late switch from Motorbase. However I had to look at whats best for my career," said Collard.

Team boss D1ck Bennetts has been in talks with Collard for a good while and is pleased to have the deal finalized.

"We have been in dialogue with Rob for some time and between us we have come up with a package of sponsorship, details of which will be announced shortly," said Bennetts.

Collard is going to start an intense testing program with team mate Andy Neate ahead of the season start at Thruxton on the 4th of april.

The team is still hoping to run a third car for reigning champion Colin Turkington in the team alongside Collard and Neate, stay tuned for more news on the subject!

Motorbase Performance team boss David Bartrum is deeply disappointed on their now previous driver Rob Collard for switching to rival BMW team West Surrey Racing.

"Naturally I am disappointed that Rob has opted to go elsewhere because as far as we were aware we had an agreement and I believed him to be a man of his word," said Bartrum to Motorsport News. Motorbase Performance were aiming to continue the co-operation with Collard for the 2010 British Touring Car Championship season.

But the team is going to present their full drivers line up in the coming week as well as new partners to the team.

"Nevertheless these are exciting times for Motorbase and we have a major backer and an associate sponsor to reveal within the next week with our full driver line-up," said Bartrum.

Wonder if that does mean WSR will run 3 days with CT? Although without RAC I'm not so sure. Wouldn't be too suprised if he did the opposite and went to Motorbase! Realistically though, I think the Motorbase driver line up will be Johnny Adam/Steven Kane.

Oh, and more hints at a Honda/Dynamics tie-up today with Matt Neal testing the civic:

lg_5337_2bde.jpg

Sunstrip carrying the Honda name rather than the normal Team Dynamics one...interesting.