Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussief1

Motogp 2010

Bad news on Valentino being out for the rest of the season if it's true.

I wish I could say the sport is greater than one rider. I've said a similar thing for F1 in the past. I really wish I could say those words.

But in the case of Rossi and MotoGP I can't. He's huge. He has legions of fans wherever he goes. Love him or loath him, you can't fail to admit he is a crucial element of the MotoGP series. He's like the Ferrari of MotoGP, or how Ronnie O'Sullivan is to snooker, or Tiger Woods to golf. Okay, the last comparison is harsh on Vale and I appologise. But you get my drift. Without those sorts of guys at the top level of the sport they compete in, interest for said sport drops. It's a fact.

He's not essential for MotoGP, but he is a massive part of the sport. I fear that right around the world, (expect Spain perhaps who are mad for bike racing and now have two countrymen who hate each other battling for the title) the viewing figures will be lower for the remainder of the championship compared to if Rossi was still there.

It just worries me how MotoGP is going to cope when Vale retires, or if now he packs it all up for good. They don't have a Rossi-esque figure lying in waiting. Sure, Lorenzo's a brilliant rider and has many, many fans already but.....I don't know, it's hard to explain, he hasn't got the Rossi persona going about him or the ability to set up a cult if he so wanted to like Rossi could.

MotoGP has lost a big part of it's appeal for me now. Rossi was one of the big reasons I kept tuning in. Goodbye MotoGP '10, it was fun whilst it lasted. Hope all is well in '11.

Enjoy the rest of the season, everybody.

You'll find one man won't make the biggest difference for the majority of people, actually. There will always be new riders; never replacements, but always good enough. When Dale Earnhardt passed away, NASCAR lost its most recognizable, popular, exciting, etc driver. An icon for the sport. Popularity didn't drop off at all, though. Why? They just thrust more drivers into the limelight and kept putting on the kind of racing people wanted to see. MotoGP will do the same.

Perhaps in his downtime, Rossi can pay his taxes, too.

Hopefully Rossi will recover sharp as ever and keep adding another entertaining rider to the sport, but I won't lose sleep over the fact it might not be this year. Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and Stoner will be extra hungry to win the races that would have been Rossi's.

The problem is that Lorenzo will probably walk it. Stoner hasn't upped his game, in fact Hayden is beating him consistently, and Pedrosa is just like that... the most fun last race was in the battle for 2nd-3rd. It's just not quite the same >.<

The problem is that Lorenzo will probably walk it. Stoner hasn't upped his game, in fact Hayden is beating him consistently, and Pedrosa is just like that... the most fun last race was in the battle for 2nd-3rd. It's just not quite the same >.<

Yeah, but this one time I said Brawn Grand Prix would score zero points in 2010 and then one race later...

And this other time I said the U.S. wouldn't advance past the group round and then one minute later...

Which means that me saying it will still be exciting means I'll be wrong and it won't be. So I guess I didn't just help my argument there :P

Oh well, all sports have up and down seasons whatever the circumstances. There's still time for something interesting to develop.

You'll find one man won't make the biggest difference for the majority of people, actually. There will always be new riders; never replacements, but always good enough. When Dale Earnhardt passed away, NASCAR lost its most recognizable, popular, exciting, etc driver. An icon for the sport. Popularity didn't drop off at all, though. Why? They just thrust more drivers into the limelight and kept putting on the kind of racing people wanted to see. MotoGP will do the same.

Perhaps in his downtime, Rossi can pay his taxes, too.

Hopefully Rossi will recover sharp as ever and keep adding another entertaining rider to the sport, but I won't lose sleep over the fact it might not be this year. Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and Stoner will be extra hungry to win the races that would have been Rossi's.

I think, for MotoGP though, it is different. It's difficult to make the comparison with Tiger Woods, but you know, when he was out the sport for a short period viewing figures dropped massively. Even for people who don't know golf at all or follow it, most people have heard of Tiger Woods even before his scandal broke out. The same is with Rossi. Even for people who know nothing about MotoGP or have never watched a race, again, they'll probably have heard of Rossi seeing as he is like Woods, one of the all time great sports people in terms of success. Both have masses of fans everywhere, every corner of the globe, both sports are damaged when these two guys arn't playing/racing.

I was really generally excited to see MotoGP this year with the top four guys fighting for the championship, but now Stoner is way behind after crashing a couple of times and Pedrosa is too inconsistent. But yeah, every sport has good and bad years.

I agree with JHS on this one, I think it is different with Rossi.

Rossi has a global fan base whereas most sports superstars have a more national one. Everybody seems to support Rossi as if he's one of their own, so to speak. When Rossi retires from MotoGP, the effect will be something similar to when Michael Schumacher stopped racing in 2006, where interest in F1 dropped massively in Germany. The difference for Rossi and MotoGP, is that the loss of viewers will be a "global" trend.

For all the good Rossi has done for MotoGP, when he retires there is going to be a balancing, the sport will lose a lot, but at least it can be thankful it had him in the first place (very few sports have somebody like Rossi imo, a person globally adored).

Saying that, MotoGP will survive post-Rossi, no doubt about it. It just won't be the same for those who ever watched him race live, and I doubt somebody will come along with a similar talent and charisma for a very long time.

Yamaha have elected to put a test rider on the bike to replace VR. A conservative decision but probably the sensible one. http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84692

I wonder if "out of ideas" can be considered sensible.

It makes no difference anyway.

Bad news on Valentino being out for the rest of the season if it's true.

I wish I could say the sport is greater than one rider. I've said a similar thing for F1 in the past. I really wish I could say those words.

But in the case of Rossi and MotoGP I can't. He's huge. He has legions of fans wherever he goes. Love him or loath him, you can't fail to admit he is a crucial element of the MotoGP series. He's like the Ferrari of MotoGP, or how Ronnie O'Sullivan is to snooker, or Tiger Woods to golf. Okay, the last comparison is harsh on Vale and I appologise. But you get my drift. Without those sorts of guys at the top level of the sport they compete in, interest for said sport drops. It's a fact.

He's not essential for MotoGP, but he is a massive part of the sport. I fear that right around the world, (expect Spain perhaps who are mad for bike racing and now have two countrymen who hate each other battling for the title) the viewing figures will be lower for the remainder of the championship compared to if Rossi was still there.

It just worries me how MotoGP is going to cope when Vale retires, or if now he packs it all up for good. They don't have a Rossi-esque figure lying in waiting. Sure, Lorenzo's a brilliant rider and has many, many fans already but.....I don't know, it's hard to explain, he hasn't got the Rossi persona going about him or the ability to set up a cult if he so wanted to like Rossi could.

MotoGP has lost a big part of it's appeal for me now. Rossi was one of the big reasons I kept tuning in. Goodbye MotoGP '10, it was fun whilst it lasted. Hope all is well in '11.

Enjoy the rest of the season, everybody.

Nah.

People come and go. No biggy. Besides, Rossi has had more than his time. Time to move on really. He should've taken that jump to Ferrari anywhen instead of this.

This is a good point. Stoner is back to his crashing ways and Pedrosa is, well, Pedrosa.

However, I wonder if the problem is not the category itself rather than the riders. Take a look at Moto2, for instance... great races every GP.

I agree with JHS on this one, I think it is different with Rossi.

Rossi has a global fan base whereas most sports superstars have a more national one. Everybody seems to support Rossi as if he's one of their own, so to speak. When Rossi retires from MotoGP, the effect will be something similar to when Michael Schumacher stopped racing in 2006, where interest in F1 dropped massively in Germany. The difference for Rossi and MotoGP, is that the loss of viewers will be a "global" trend.

For all the good Rossi has done for MotoGP, when he retires there is going to be a balancing, the sport will lose a lot, but at least it can be thankful it had him in the first place (very few sports have somebody like Rossi imo, a person globally adored).

Saying that, MotoGP will survive post-Rossi, no doubt about it. It just won't be the same for those who ever watched him race live, and I doubt somebody will come along with a similar talent and charisma for a very long time.

Same nah.

It happens in all sports. Some guys pop up and steal the show. They mark an era... but eventually they are gone and, guess what, the world keeps spinning.

The funny thing is to come across the fans whose world have stopped spinning and cannot but recall the time when WHO and WHO fought the best matches/races/games whatever.

Recycle yourself or die.

People come and go. No biggy. Besides, Rossi has had more than his time. Time to move on really. He should've taken that jump to Ferrari anywhen instead of this.

True, this year Lorenzo was proving better, it's just that he should have beaten him on track, otherwise it's no fun! And, I still haven't been to a race, maybe he was waiting for me :whistling:

This is a good point. Stoner is back to his crashing ways and Pedrosa is, well, Pedrosa.

However, I wonder if the problem is not the category itself rather than the riders. Take a look at Moto2, for instance... great races every GP.

Also true, 16 riders, c'mon that's ridiculous! MotoGP is way too expensive for what it is. Maybe they could save a bit in the Moto2 way, of course not in the engines, but find a solution. About the riders, I hope that some team will want Elias next year, he's too good to be wasted, at a time when The Doctor will be leaving soon.

Same nah.

It happens in all sports. Some guys pop up and steal the show. They mark an era... but eventually they are gone and, guess what, the world keeps spinning.

The funny thing is to come across the fans whose world have stopped spinning and cannot but recall the time when WHO and WHO fought the best matches/races/games whatever.

Recycle yourself or die.

You're probably right, but for me this has been the first time and a great experience. No doubt I'll remember it very fondly 50 years in the future XD

[quote name='freaky2' date='24 June 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1277373370' post='319475']
You're probably right, but for me this has been the first time and a great experience. No doubt I'll remember it very fondly 50 years in the future XD
[/quote]

Dear freaky, don't be old so early. We have yet to see many greats come and go.

Sure, be happy to have been part of this (whatever part of it you've picked up, Rossi's been around awhile). But be happy you are gonna be part of much more. The present is always worth more than the past or future if only on account that those two don't exist anymore or yet, respectively.

I still remember when Doohan left 500cc. I thought it would never be the same and then Rossi took the lead but in some way I feel we've been robbed of a great season with an amazing fight between the Italian and Lorenzo. I don't know who would have won it, maybe Rossi again, but I think it would have been closer than ever.

BTW, Rossi is leaving Yamaha and will race for Ducati in 2011 and 2012. I hope Yamaha stay pushing like they've done those past years but FIAT could leave with Rossi. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I still remember when Doohan left 500cc. I thought it would never be the same and then Rossi took the lead but in some way I feel we've been robbed of a great season with an amazing fight between the Italian and Lorenzo. I don't know who would have won it, maybe Rossi again, but I think it would have been closer than ever.

BTW, Rossi is leaving Yamaha and will race for Ducati in 2011 and 2012. I hope Yamaha stay pushing like they've done those past years but FIAT could leave with Rossi. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I heard this was heavily hinted at by Rossi, but I haven't heard it confirmed yet. Stoner's decision could be the key.

Where are they saying Pedrosa goes? Rossi to Ducati, Stoner to Honda, Pedrosa to Yamaha? Just wondering if anyone's mentioned Pedrosa going elsewhere because I'd sort of like to see Spies back Lorenzo at Yamaha if a bike is open, but I don't know of anywhere else Pedrosa would really want to go. Or is it Dovizioso who is out if Stoner goes to Honda?

Where are they saying Pedrosa goes? Rossi to Ducati, Stoner to Honda, Pedrosa to Yamaha? Just wondering if anyone's mentioned Pedrosa going elsewhere because I'd sort of like to see Spies back Lorenzo at Yamaha if a bike is open, but I don't know of anywhere else Pedrosa would really want to go. Or is it Dovizioso who is out if Stoner goes to Honda?

I've read that it's Dovy who's going if Stoner goes to Honda, which he almost certainly looks like he will. I'm not sure what will happen to Pedrosa, his contract is up this year too I think, but I guess he could stay with Honda and face Stoner on the same bike, or perhaps go to Yamaha to face arch rival Lorenzo (I doubt, but it would be funny)? Although like you say Yamaha may (probably will) choose Spies to partner Lorenzo, he seems a stronger rider overall than Pedrosa anyway (or at least the potential is there). So the Honda option seems extremely tough for Pedrosa (does he really think he can beat Stoner on the same bike?) and the Yamaha option is unlikely to even exist (Spies is looking better by the race). If Rossi is going to Ducati on a straight swap with Stoner, then I can hardly see Pedrosa wanting to go there either, and Rossi won't want another no.1 rider there anyway (his reason for parting from Yamaha - if any of this happens).

My guess for next year is:

Ducati: Rossi - Hayden, Yamaha: Lorenzo - Spies, Honda: Stoner - Dovy (I just can't imagine that Pedrosa will want to face Stoner on the same bike).

Either way, no matter which way it's looked at, there are 4 top riders in MotoGP at present (Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Stoner, Rossi) and only 3 bikes. So somebody is either going to have a tough team mate or is going to have to leave a top team. My guess is Pedrosa will be the fall guy (and yep, he probably deserves it because he's had a lot of chances).

Ducati: Rossi - Hayden, Yamaha: Lorenzo - Spies, Honda: Stoner - Dovy (I just can't imagine that Pedrosa will want to face Stoner on the same bike).

We could say Rossi is leaving Yamaha because he doesn't want to face Lorenzo next year on the same bike and he does not want to face Stoner either in Ducati so Stoner is going to Honda. I'm not saying Pedrosa or Stoner is Rossi, I try to be fair. I think Rossi is intelligent and he's trying a double loop when he's struggling with a single loop, it sounds stupid, right? But the double loop is staying in Yamaha with Lorenzo. I think the single loop is leaving to Ducati bringing all his team at Yamaha.

I don't know if anybody will understand what I wrote.

Honda will have de facto three official bikes next season: Pedrosa, Stoner and Dovizioso.

We could say Rossi is leaving Yamaha because he doesn't want to face Lorenzo next year on the same bike and he does not want to face Stoner either in Ducati so Stoner is going to Honda. I'm not saying Pedrosa or Stoner is Rossi, I try to be fair. I think Rossi is intelligent and he's trying a double loop when he's struggling with a single loop, it sounds stupid, right? But the double loop is staying in Yamaha with Lorenzo. I think the single loop is leaving to Ducati bringing all his team at Yamaha.

I don't know if anybody will understand what I wrote.

Honda will have de facto three official bikes next season: Pedrosa, Stoner and Dovizioso.

I'm not sure I understand :P But I take the point that Rossi leaving for Ducati is similar to Pedrosa not wanting to race Stoner at Honda (if that is the case). The difference for me is that Rossi did stay around and beat Lorenzo plenty of times. I can understand Rossi's frustrations because beating Lorenzo on the same bike is just making his job harder, and, as far as he is concerned, he is the one who made that bike what it is so it is his bike to win on and Yamaha should be thankful for him. We've yet to see whether Pedrosa will 1. want to battle Stoner on the same bike like Rossi did Lorenzo, 2. be able to do that and beat him. Personally I think Stoner, with a bike working for him, without injuries etc etc is a better rider than Pedrosa (and it would appear Honda agree if they are looking for a no.1 rider like Stoner). Hopefully Honda will solve the rider problem like you said - run a 3rd bike.

Rossi's problem is that Lorenzo is younger and getting better, which is obviously the contrary of what's happening to him. I guess he's putting his hopes on a good bike, which he can make better, and on Lorenzo not taking Yamaha in the right direction once he leaves (because we all know Yamaha is the best bike out there now). It's justified, once you can't beat your young rivals it's your time to go, so he'll be having his last chance at Ducati.

I'm not sure I understand tongue.gif But I take the point that Rossi leaving for Ducati is similar to Pedrosa not wanting to race Stoner at Honda (if that is the case). The difference for me is that Rossi did stay around and beat Lorenzo plenty of times. I can understand Rossi's frustrations because beating Lorenzo on the same bike is just making his job harder, and, as far as he is concerned, he is the one who made that bike what it is so it is his bike to win on and Yamaha should be thankful for him. We've yet to see whether Pedrosa will 1. want to battle Stoner on the same bike like Rossi did Lorenzo, 2. be able to do that and beat him. Personally I think Stoner, with a bike working for him, without injuries etc etc is a better rider than Pedrosa (and it would appear Honda agree if they are looking for a no.1 rider like Stoner). Hopefully Honda will solve the rider problem like you said - run a 3rd bike.

Rossi has beaten Lorenzo in the past, the question was about this season, which sadly we will never know, and mainly about next season. As you said, I can understand Rossi's frustrations but what all these drivers want is a competitive bike. If they can go the easy way it's perfect, if not they don't mind facing whoever on whatever bike. Specially someone like Pedrosa, even more when I think he cannot afford being picky atm.

Rossi sets sights on Brno return

By Matt Beer, Saturday, June 26th 2010, 18:39 GMT

Valentino Rossi believes a return to MotoGP for the Brno round in August is now realistic after a positive start to his recovery from his broken leg.

The world champion has been sidelined since he suffered the injury in practice for his home race at Mugello three weeks ago. If he is successful in his ambition to return for the Czech Grand Prix, Rossi will have missed six races in total.

"Three weeks have passed since the accident and two since I was discharged from hospital, and I am very happy about how my recuperation is progressing," said Rossi.

"I am feeling a lot better and I'm starting to live a semi-normal life again, although for a completely 'normal' life I will have to wait until I'm back on my bike.

"I am walking with crutches and since a few days I've been able to put my foot to the floor. Honestly, I didn't expect to feel this good just a few weeks after the incident, and I mean both physically and in my spirit.

"The rehabilitation is continuing as usual, both sitting in the hyperbaric chamber and with some exercises in the gym. Unfortunately my shoulder is still giving me some pain but I am working on the muscles to reduce the pain a bit.

"If the rehabilitation proceeds without trouble and if everything continues in this way, then my objective is to return at the Czech Grand Prix in Brno."

Yamaha has announced that it will promote test rider Wataru Yoshikawa to the race team for Catalunya, the Sachsenring and Laguna Seca in Rossi's absence.

Glad to see the recovery is progressing well even though I'm not sure returning at the earliest possible opportunity is the best idea.

(I just can't imagine that Pedrosa will want to face Stoner on the same bike).

Don't forget that Pedrosa and Stoner come up the categories together and that Pedrosa beat him every single time for years.

Of course, it could be different now but I don't think Pedrosa is psychologically intimidated by Stoner. If anything, it would be the other way around. Moreover, it is Stoner who is losing the ride and moving on to a new team... which would not be happening if Stoner was on his game.

Many folk don't know Stoner's history, his natural brutal talent as well as his frequent brutal falls.

I wonder. Let's not forget that all this "Rossi to Ducati" is still a mental wank by the Italian masses.

Personally, I don't think most anyone is afraid of anyone else... in MotoGP or F1. Certainly not the top riders (or drivers). So I don't think that is the place to find motives to change teams. In fact, ego is more likely to be the key. Was that not the case when Rossi left Honda? I figure that could be the reason now if Yamaha is unwilling to match a "presupposed" huge offer by Ducati while, at the same time, increasing Lorenzo's salary. Rossi's ego would be hurt and he might decide to put loyalty (and a better bike) aside and go for the money/status at Ducati.

Glad to see the recovery is progressing well even though I'm not sure returning at the earliest possible opportunity is the best idea.

Very true. There is nothing at stake at all. The championship is a goner for Rossi and he has nothing to prove... except, perhaps, to himself? One has to wonder if the man is feeling his years and needs to see for himself that he still matters.

Of course, the other possibility is that he wants back ASAP to leech as much information out of Yamaha before leaving. Or, perhaps, he simply wants to give Yamaha a last opportunity to "fix" his salary and status in the team.

Gotta say, though, Rossi is royally fvcked with Lorenzo as teammate. The young lad is going from strength to strength... just what Pedrosa never did despite a more "luminous" record in the lower categories.

By the way, the last GP had some incredible on-the-limit racing. Would be nice if they played more slow-motion segments. Those riders are fvcking magicians in all categories.

It's official. Honda has signed Stoner... which means, Rossi to Ducati.

What a season we will have the next year.

It's all been confirmed, well not the Rossi move, but that seems almost a certainty. Fun indeed, and intriguing to see what the Doc will do on the red bike.