Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gaetanomarano

A Safer Roll-Bar For Formula Cars

Has thought of a comment but may be banned and then you'd all miss my wit and intelligent ramblings. Too honest for this place. I am superb. End of.

Yeah the idea is there just needs to be refined ....... alot.

My contribution is: Extend the airbox (roll hoop) over the drivers head with supports (struts) coming off either side to the top of the tub. The problem with this is of course visability.

post-1058-126416325139_thumb.jpg

Yeah the idea is there just needs to be refined ....... alot.

My contribution is: Extend the airbox (roll hoop) over the drivers head with supports (struts) coming off either side to the top of the tub. The problem with this is of course visability.

post-1058-126416325139_thumb.jpg[

For those vertical bars which reach from the airbox down, to remain structurally intact after hitting a flying wheel at speeds in excess of 200km/h, I think you will find that the bars have to be rather large. In that case, one would be impeding vision and I guess if you are a statistics person, your decrease in % viewing area and therefore decrease in % safety would exceed your % safety gained.

Maybe just extend the air box forward. But then how would the guys get in and out? And if the unit is movable to allow access, how do you guarantee the unit works after a crash and therefore doesn't impede driver recovery from a wreck?

Its very complicated.

My guess is Indy car and all the other series haven't changed this item as its not really practical. In truth, you might be able to find a way to stop a tyre coming in but what about a spring like in Massas case? What about a bolt that comes through at visor height? What size object do you then protect against? Or do you accept that the combination of the HANS system, modern helmet design and the courage and skill of the heros that wear them is sufficient?

Bottom line is, there will always be risk! Or do we make it so safe that eventually, we have 15 year olds sitting in the car fearlessly because the cars are so safe that it becomes like playing play station.

Here's a serious question for those that might think this a good idea. How many deaths and serious injuries post-1980 would have been prevented from having a roll-bar? The most dramatic deaths, Villeneuve, Senna and Surtees would still have happened. Lauda and Massa would still have been injured. You might argue Hakkinen, but HANS would have done the saving there.

I think that this would create more problems than it would solve. Let it be. Freak accidents have happened before and will sadly continue to happen no doubt.

For those vertical bars which reach from the airbox down, to remain structurally intact after hitting a flying wheel at speeds in excess of 200km/h, I think you will find that the bars have to be rather large. In that case, one would be impeding vision and I guess if you are a statistics person, your decrease in % viewing area and therefore decrease in % safety would exceed your % safety gained.

Maybe just extend the air box forward. But then how would the guys get in and out? And if the unit is movable to allow access, how do you guarantee the unit works after a crash and therefore doesn't impede driver recovery from a wreck?

Its very complicated.

My guess is Indy car and all the other series haven't changed this item as its not really practical. In truth, you might be able to find a way to stop a tyre coming in but what about a spring like in Massas case? What about a bolt that comes through at visor height? What size object do you then protect against? Or do you accept that the combination of the HANS system, modern helmet design and the courage and skill of the heros that wear them is sufficient?

Bottom line is, there will always be risk! Or do we make it so safe that eventually, we have 15 year olds sitting in the car fearlessly because the cars are so safe that it becomes like playing play station.

Yup I agree with all your points, my idea is flawed with many problems like most are in this area of safety improvement. My idea almost traps the driver posing way more problems than it solves. Eeeeeek!!!

Like many have mentioned here it's just going to be an occupational hazard of going open wheel racing.

Here's a serious question for those that might think this a good idea. How many deaths and serious injuries post-1980 would have been prevented from having a roll-bar? The most dramatic deaths, Villeneuve, Senna and Surtees would still have happened. Lauda and Massa would still have been injured. You might argue Hakkinen, but HANS would have done the saving there.

I do agree.

I think that this would create more problems than it would solve. Let it be. Freak accidents have happened before and will sadly continue to happen no doubt.

After a extremely poor attempt of solving the problem with some images and microsoft paint I agree 110% :lol:

After a extremely poor attempt of solving the problem with some images and microsoft paint I agree 110% :lol:

Hahah, no, I wasn't really writing your idea off, I just find it a bit silly the idea of taking away the "open" bit from "open wheel racing". Otherwise we've got some sort of freakish prototype sort of racer, and they didn't really work for Grandam! :P

Hahah, no, I wasn't really writing your idea off, I just find it a bit silly the idea of taking away the "open" bit from "open wheel racing". Otherwise we've got some sort of freakish prototype sort of racer, and they didn't really work for Grandam! :P

Ha all good mate, the only way my idea could really work was if the extended air box / roll hoop was a seperate part of the chassis but then this isn't as strong as it will need to be. I'm throwing the idea on the scrap heap!!! :lol:

The Caparo T1 would require a longer wheelbase, higher sidepods, as well as front and rear deformable crush structures to comply with safety regulations.

What this means is a Peugeot 908 HDI type of racecar but with a single seat and no fenders.