Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Tf1 Race Reports

Well folks, when I first started posting here a few years back, some members were taking it upon themselves to appoint a person to write a race report. This was a good-natured thing that was approached with a 'what the hell' sort of attitude and I'd like to revive it.

Here's my simple plan: Someone would write a race report a few days after a GP. This doesn't have to be professional, insightful, funny, ground-breaking or even spelt correctly. Sure, if it were any of those things I'd love it, but really just write down your thoughts, wrong and biased as they may be (see what I did there?) for us all to read. I remember that Cav wrote some pretty damned good reports.

Anyway, that person then 'taps' someone else to write the next GP. And so it goes.

So, are we game for it?

EDIT#1: An alternate idea would be to assign a driver to a forum member and then, after the GP, I would start a thread where we all post what happened to our driver. No rules, post whatever...get as in-depth or as clever as you want.

EDIT#2: Okay, I'm going to put the alternate idea of drivers aside. I'm going ahead with the race report idea and if the 'tapped' person feels like focusing their report on one driver, so be it. Here's the list of willing victims members:

THE LIST*:

Quiet One BLAHRAIN & HOCKEN HAYIM

Kopite Girl MONACO, BABY!

Autumnpuma CIRCUIT DE CATAYAWNYA

Persevere RAW QUÉBECOIS

Freakazoid MADE IN CHINA

JHS STONES OF SILVER

aussief1 AUSSSIETRALIA

Freaky2 EUROSPAINCIA

Monza Gorilla ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE)

HandyNZL MALARIASIA

Cavallino

Argento Reloaded SPA-LA-LA-LA-LAAA LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAAA

The Professor

*We were left hungry for a report on Hungary.....and we all went to bed without supper.

Well folks, when I first started posting here a few years back, some members were taking it upon themselves to appoint a person to write a race report. This was a good-natured thing that was approached with a 'what the hell' sort of attitude and I'd like to revive it.

Here's my simple plan: Someone would write a race report a few days after a GP. This doesn't have to be professional, insightful, funny, ground-breaking or even spelt correctly. Sure, if it were any of those things I'd love it, but really just write down your thoughts, wrong and biased as they may be (see what I did there?) for us all to read. I remember that Cav wrote some pretty damned good reports.

Anyway, that person then 'taps' someone else to write the next GP. And so it goes.

So, are we game for it?

EDIT: An alternate idea would be to assign a driver to a forum member and then, after the GP, I would start a thread where we all post what happened to our driver. No rules, post whatever...get as in-depth or as clever as you want.

I like it! +1

Good idea, the Puma. +1

I remember that Cav wrote some pretty damned good reports.

Can't remember. Must be something like... Schumacher wins, what a bloody good race. He overtook 20 cars on the last laps. Give a good cheer for Schumacher. Im so happy I can cry!!!! This would seem like an ordinary race report from him.

We don't need to encourage fanatism on the forums anymore Mike, especially if we are all fans of certain drivers. a Good bet would be to refer to reliable sites and discusss race reports around those articles, I just can't take certain ppl serious writing stupid race reports. We don't have journalistic education in any case. There were alot of Sh#t written anyway!

Both the primary and alternate ideas sound good; I can also appreciate the words of BradSpeedMan.

However, as those on the forum constitute a mix of both neutral types and those who strongly favor specific drivers I would expect that over the course of the 2010 season we would get a good balance of reporting.

This is taken from a certain fenman reponding in an article in James Allen's blog. Now we need guys like him to write Race Reports, it would be an asolute pleasure reading it.

"I am not a ‘fan’ of anyone, fans are ridiculous looking creatures, blinkered and easily led by the nose. Look at them, standing in the rain, dressed the same, waiting to get their piece of overpriced, merchandised tat scribbled on … "

oh, what the hell, here's his full response, read and enjoy[/b]

I am not a ‘fan’ of anyone, fans are ridiculous looking creatures, blinkered and easily led by the nose. Look at them, standing in the rain, dressed the same, waiting to get their piece of overpriced, merchandised tat scribbled on. Like I say, he had form going in to this, at Renault, the card on Alonso said great driver when he’s winning, fragile and paranoid when the wheels fall off. When push came to shove, that psychological weakness was always going to be his undoing. F1 is a big boys sport, there is unequal pressure applied from all directions, it’s how you absorb that pressure, and it’s how you react to that pressure. It is pointless to complain about the travails endured, or the perceived inequalities, real or imaginary, that is the nature of the beast, that is real life, life at the very sharp end. He notoriously retreated within himself and within his entourage, skulking and sulking back over at the Renault motorhome, an echo chamber, exacerbating and reinforcing his persecution complex. Rather than push back, and overcome, he withdrew, that more than any other contributory factor is what did for him. Waving his fist (at who, for why) coming down the Indy straight told everyone everything they needed to know about who was where in the headgames. Who was coping and who was cracking. F1 is also never that complicated, it generally is exactly what it is. Two men started a new job, both wanted a team built around them, they went head to head, to make it their era. For a poker player like Alonso to still not realise it’s not the cards, it’s how you play them is baffling. No-one ever gave-away anything worth having, he was up against a ruthless competitor, if he wanted it, he should have fought harder and fought smarter. Reflect and deflect that pressure, crack a rookie, win the team. He didn’t or couldn’t, that’s the way it goes sometimes … if after all the intervening time and distance, he still can’t acknowledge that, if he hasn’t learned anything, if in snide and snarky press comments, he still clings to a personal and conveniently untellable re-spinning of events, then you need to be real concerned, real concerned, how he will deal with the politicking and factionalism of Ferrari. Woking was a cakewalk compared to Maranello.

I agree with Brad mostly fro lack of time and english skills. Nevertheles I propose a std. awards system (ARGENTO´S AWARDS called in my honour, of course) with a format like this:

DOD

Worst DOD

Better Strategy

Big Mistake Of the day

Cheater DOD noop! Michael always wil win this category!

The driver who saves more fuel, etc.

And argue, and discuss, and discuss more!

Brad, Brad, Brad...ermm...Brad... *shakes head*

What happened to your sense of humour? You sound pretty dark lately! Lighten up!

Other than that, I disagree with both you and Fenman, and I think what you both say is a common mistake among F1 followers:

1) Not all levels of driver (or team or whatever) support are the same. You can support a driver without being a fanatical fundamentalist over that driver or against some other.

2) The worst kind (the most fanatical) are not that common in this forum, and "the worst kind" is always a relative concept, anyways. You might see yourself surrounded by "fanatical" Alonso supporters. I saw a lot of "fanatical" Hamilton supporters. We still have a couple of "fanatical" Button supporters and, most surprisingly, quite a bunch of "fanatical" Kimi supporters :whistling:

3) "I am no fan of any driver" is either a supremely hypocritical (?) statement or a confession of lack of interest on the complexities of F1. In Fenman's case, it is obviosuly the former. The guy starts with that phrase and then starts spewing a pseudo theory based on his deep comprehension of Alonso's thought processes. Unless he is Nando's psychoanalist, all he wrote is a bunch of subjective opinions, and highly biased against the guy as iti is fairly obvious. There is nothing wrong with that. What p**ses me off is the fact that he starts by saying "I am no fan". bulls##t. If anything, he is an anti Alonso fan, and t hat's being a fan as much as I am an Alonso fan or you are a Kimi fan.

4) Being a fan of a driver is not bad per se. All the cars, the speed, the tracks, the strategies are incredibly complex and entertaining, but the drivers' personalities are as much fun, if not more so. Today I was talking about tennis and the many personalities that I've enjoyed. Guys like Lendl, McEnroe, Noah, Sampras, Chang, Kuerten, Borg, Connors...they were not just extremely talented, but also with very different personalities and quirks and that made them even more enjoyable! Why miss that part of the drama? It plays a huge part!

5) I understand that there is a fine line between "supporting a driver" and being an insufferable, irrational worshipper. But with some sense of objectivity and a bit of patience you can enjoy the human side without letting minor trolls and such to upset you too much.

Brad, Brad, Brad...ermm...Brad... *shakes head*

What happened to your sense of humour? You sound pretty dark lately! Lighten up!

Other than that, I disagree with both you and Fenman...........

Heartily agree with you Andres, even though I didn't read most of your reply :P

Why is it that those that support no driver and no team don't understand those that do, and those that support a driver don't understand why others support a team, bal bla etc bleh...... just personal preference, nothing to understand other than different strokes.

But, most of all, a quick look at a thread and you know it's not for you, or it is, so, what's the big deal? Personally I can't wait to write a race report, my totally unbiarsed professionalism should be shared amongst you. Whether you like it or not ^_^

EDIT: Fenman's post: Misery.

I managed to dig up my old race report :D And in the process had to go through some rather embarrassing old posts of mine - I am sorry everyone, how did you ever put up with me :(

http://www.totalf1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6331&st=0&p=120928&hl="race%20report"&fromsearch=1entry120928

Can't remember. Must be something like... Schumacher wins, what a bloody good race. He overtook 20 cars on the last laps. Give a good cheer for Schumacher. Im so happy I can cry!!!! This would seem like an ordinary race report from him.

I agree with the bald one Bradley my friend, you seem rather upset these days. Lighten up!

Oh and did someone say that I get to write whatever I want and people will willingly read it, under no duress? Where do I sign up?

So, are we game for it?

EDIT: An alternate idea would be to assign a driver to a forum member and then, after the GP, I would start a thread where we all post what happened to our driver. No rules, post whatever...get as in-depth or as clever as you want.

I think this idea is better, I'll take Kimi. :P

I'm liking the forum member-driver idea, though it would be a bitch to choose. I mean, you have a choice of Meds, myself, Ben, Jem and Insider who are unashamedly biased towards Button. So, who's the choice?

It would perhaps work if people voted to a short list of 20 people plus maybe 5 reserves on who we want to write the report. That way, there's no bitching, democracy prevails and we can take the mickey out of whomever is chosen. It works?

And if I'd have read Mike's post properly, I wouldn't look like such a twat.

Some people are taking this more serious than it should be. The idea is for the 'chosen' forum member to write a race report however they see fit. No rules. There are plenty of very unbiased, journalistic race reports out there, so why copy them? Leave journalism to the journalists. We're fans with observations and opinions and we should write about that. Be genuine and to hell with everything else. Trust me, it's far more interesting to read a person's genuine point of view than to read a stale accounting of a race. Of course, if you want to shoot for objectivity, go for it.

If we do the alternate idea of the drivers, I don't think we should choose our favorite. One member would be in charge of assigning drivers to report on. Since it's my idea, I elect myself to the post of Grand-PooBah-of-Deciding-Who-Gets-What-Driver, or GPDWGWD for short. Because of the lack of willing members so far, I would probably change this from driver-focused to team-focused.

Truthfully, I like the race report idea a bit better...mostly because it's less work for me. Seems to be just enough people liking the idea that I'll create a list of willing people in the first post of this thread. Let me know if you're not on the list but would like to be (or if you're on the list, but don't want to be).

I'm an aspiring motorsport journalist so would love to take it on if possible?

Yessssss I am already picturing my review of the Abu Dhabi GP!

"Welcome to the Abu Dhabi GP. I know the huge cosmic ray storm caused by sunspots has deprived the northern hemisphere of the actual transmission of the race but fear not, my fellow comrades for I am here to provide you all the action of what was arguably described as "The best race in the history of Formula One".

So...it's all set. Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Massa and Kimi (the revelation of this season after being hastily asked to come back by USF1) are tied on points. They are also occupiying the first places of the grid. They all promised to fight until the end.

And this is it! The moment of truth! GP has started! They are all rushing towards the first corner...nobody is giving up...they are there and...wait! Vitantonio Liuzzi is...yes...yes...yessss! He removed a layer from his visor!!! Ok, back to the top runners. There has been a huge accident! It seems that one of them is out of the race and the championship and it's the car of...hey, Liuzzi just blocked a wheel! It's ok, he is still racing! Pheewww...so...where were we?..."

See, Brad? Nothing to fear!

Crap does that mean I might have to pretend I know something about f1???? :o:D

Well. We all know you know more about crossdressing there, Buffalo Bill.

Want some fava beans and a nice chianti with that, precious?

Yessssss I am already picturing my review of the Abu Dhabi GP!

"Welcome to the Abu Dhabi GP. I know the huge cosmic ray storm caused by sunspots has deprived the northern hemisphere of the actual transmission of the race but fear not, my fellow comrades for I am here to provide you all the action of what was arguably described as "The best race in the history of Formula One".

So...it's all set. Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Massa and Kimi (the revelation of this season after being hastily asked to come back by USF1) are tied on points. They are also occupiying the first places of the grid. They all promised to fight until the end.

And this is it! The moment of truth! GP has started! They are all rushing towards the first corner...nobody is giving up...they are there and...wait! Vitantonio Liuzzi is...yes...yes...yessss! He removed a layer from his visor!!! Ok, back to the top runners. There has been a huge accident! It seems that one of them is out of the race and the championship and it's the car of...hey, Liuzzi just blocked a wheel! It's ok, he is still racing! Pheewww...so...where were we?..."

See, Brad? Nothing to fear!

Dammit Andres, don't give us the whole nipple-shot early! Make us wait for it.

I'm a supporter of bringing back race reports, as long as the person selected acknowledges that they have been chosen to write the report however they see fit.

Other spin on GP forum reports with a member being given a driver to report on every GP may pose a little more of a challenge, with 26 members willing an ready to go for every GP.

I'm a supporter of bringing back race reports, as long as the person selected acknowledges that they have been chosen to write the report however they see fit.

This is crucial. I dislike rules of any sort on creative endeavors. So, can I add you to the list?

This is crucial. I dislike rules of any sort on creative endeavors. So, can I add you to the list?

Sure Mike, I would be more than happy to contribute :D

Hey, I want to torture you with my ramblings too!! :D

(Though I'm sure George could write the same way better, but it's first come first served :P )

I think it's a very good idea, and I get to practice English increase my post count as well :P

EDIT: The b#####d (George/Nivola/Rainmaster/stopdoingthatalready!) changed names yet again, and I forgot >.< But this way you get double torture XDDD

Hey, I want to torture you with my ramblings too!! :D

(Though I'm sure George could write the same way better, but it's first come first served :P )

I think it's a very good idea, and I get to practice English increase my post count as well :P

EDIT: The b#####d (George/Nivola/Rainmaster/stopdoingthatalready!) changed names yet again, and I forgot >.< But this way you get double torture XDDD

Sorry, I might just change my name to "the b#####d", that's how most of you seem to know me anyway :P

But yes, I think Tanita would be an excellent addition! She would save me some time :D