Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kopite Girl

Fear

Dwelling on this query a bit more over the last 48 hours I thought about premature burial (and, of course, the influence of having read the Poe story in adolescence) and what might be considered a contemporary version of such a horror. In my morning commute I heard this report on the BBC and was alternately mortified and moved.

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8497148.stm

Dwelling on this query a bit more over the last 48 hours I thought about premature burial (and, of course, the influence of having read the Poe story in adolescence) and what might be considered a contemporary version of such a horror. In my morning commute I heard this report on the BBC and was alternately mortified and moved.

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8497148.stm

Interesting article and food for thought. Thanks.

Don't mind 'em, myself. Never been stung, either. Love that munchy sound they make when they're chewing on the garden fence at chez Gorilla. I let them be. They let me be. Same with the bees. And the sparrowhawk.

Edit: why should wasps have a purpose? People don't.

True. But not all people are buzzing little killing machines. ;-)

What is the purpose of a wasp? I mean. Bees make honey. Spiders -ew- keep the level of mosquitoes down. What does a wasp do. It's like a little killing machine. Do they have a purpose or do they just go around happy slapping us with stings, cause they can?

Thats why I find them scary. They're like created to maim and kill. Like a gun.

Somebody has to vote for the Republicans.

In that case, be careful in Japan. We've got one of the worst type of wasp in the world, a giant hornet over 4 centimeters long and over 6 centimeters wingspan. They pray on smaller wasps and kill about three dozen Japanese every year. Fearsome venom have, those b@stards.

Pretty creatures, though. They are like the elephants of wasps.

Ugh.

What is the purpose of a wasp? I mean. Bees make honey. Spiders -ew- keep the level of mosquitoes down. What does a wasp do. It's like a little killing machine. Do they have a purpose or do they just go around happy slapping us with stings, cause they can?

Thats why I find them scary. They're like created to maim and kill. Like a gun.

Don't mind 'em, myself. Never been stung, either. Love that munchy sound they make when they're chewing on the garden fence at chez Gorilla. I let them be. They let me be. Same with the bees. And the sparrowhawk.

Edit: why should wasps have a purpose? People don't.

I don't mind the sting. Been stung many times. It's the appearance of them that creeps me out. And the sound. Thanks for the reminder. Ugh.

Somebody has to vote for the Republicans.

Shuddap you commie bast@rd!

"Somebody has to vote for the Republicans." - (Not So) Quiet One.

"The problem is not only those voting for the republicans... the problem is the democrats are the only alternative!" - Guy "I bathe on the terrace" Frequelin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's come down to bashing American politics, has it; and in a thread entitled Fear no less. You both should be ashamed! It's my job to bash American politics, not yours.

(Funny quips, guys. I suspect a good percentage of Americans couldn't find Argentina on a map let alone comment on it's ungainly political history. :lol: )

The problem is not only those voting for the republicans... the problem is the democrats are the only alternative!

You deserve more than +1.

im afraid of dolphins and butterflies. seriously. hahahahahahahahaha and i seriously dislike monkeys too.

"Somebody has to vote for the Republicans." - (Not So) Quiet One.

"The problem is not only those voting for the republicans... the problem is the democrats are the only alternative!" - Guy "I bathe on the terrace" Frequelin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's come down to bashing American politics, has it; and in a thread entitled Fear no less. You both should be ashamed! It's my job to bash American politics, not yours.

(Funny quips, guys. I suspect a good percentage of Americans couldn't find Argentina on a map let alone comment on it's ungainly political history. :lol: )

Sorry. Wanna hear my jokes about Michael Dukakis? (Yeah, I need to update my info on American politics :lol:)

im afraid of dolphins and butterflies. seriously. hahahahahahahahaha and i seriously dislike monkeys too.

Your fear of beer is improving though! ;)

Your fear of beer is improving though! ;)

I was never afraid of beer, I was afraid of kati + beer. hahahahahaha

I was never afraid of beer, I was afraid of kati + beer. hahahahahaha

:lol:

I know what you mean!

As a child I had clinophobia, got over that only to get photophobia. Bugger. Then along came trichopathophobia but then I met Andres here and developed peladophobia. I used to have a touch of anemophobia and defecaloesiophobia, but soon lost those when I conquered my alliumphobia. Got rid of all my fears when I was diagnosed with mnemophobia, at least I think so.

As a child I had clinophobia, got over that only to get photophobia. Bugger. Then along came trichopathophobia but then I met Andres here and developed peladophobia. I used to have a touch of anemophobia and defecaloesiophobia, but soon lost those when I conquered my alliumphobia. Got rid of all my fears when I was diagnosed with mnemophobia, at least I think so.

Sounds like you have Philophobia - that's a bit like a filofax, but more scary :D

Medilloni scares me.

Sounds like you have Philophobia - that's a bit like a filofax, but more scary :D

Can't use a filofax 'cos of my hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, logophobia, papyrophobia, graphophobia and leukophobia.

On a serious note Chris :rolleyes: , I used to have one fear, the one that some parents used to instill in their kids. The one about, teeth. 'Down there', y'know, *where they didn't want us boys to go until we were all grown up. When I saw me mum's false teeth in a jar on the bedside table, I thought "lucky Dad, he's on for it tonight" :lol:

*And no, I don't mean a dentist in London.

On a serious note Chris rolleyes.gif , I used to have one fear, the one that some parents used to instill in their kids. The one about, teeth. 'Down there', y'know, *where they didn't want us boys to go until we were all grown up. When I saw me mum's false teeth in a jar on the bedside table, I thought "lucky Dad, he's on for it tonight" laugh.gif

*And no, I don't mean a dentist in London.

VAGINA DENTATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seen the movie 'Teeth'? Nice movie.

I have simple and real fear of falling in the shower and dying naked.

VAGINA DENTATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seen the movie 'Teeth'? Nice movie.

My willy just disappeared.

Joking apart, my true fear......... I'm a p**s poor swimmer, but swimming in the sea I really hate - I always swim and lark around with the kids and try to hide it, so they don't get 'it' too. I'm terrified of anything happening to them in the sea as well.

And jellyfish. Ffs, who invented those bloody things? Give me the creeps.