Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Holy Crap, This Car Looks Interesting....

46_dallara3-4.jpg

Hmm, what an interesting car. I think F1 has been so freaking neutered these days, that innovation doesn't exist. Well maybe accept the double diffusers. But looking at that car, brings back memories of the 6 wheeled Tyrell. I'd love to F1 open up the regs, so that the designers can come up with more creativity and wow us for once.

Isn't that the car that is reportedly going to replace the current spec Indycar? Wow, they sure must need those fans if they've resorted to THAT!

46_dallara3-4.jpg

Hmm, what an interesting car. I think F1 has been so freaking neutered these days, that innovation doesn't exist. Well maybe accept the double diffusers. But looking at that car, brings back memories of the 6 wheeled Tyrell. I'd love to F1 open up the regs, so that the designers can come up with more creativity and wow us for once.

it looks like it may be more aerodimanically eficient than a F1 because it won't have the drag creted by the wheels and at the same time it is an open wheel car, of the three Dallara's model that's the one that cought my attention, I really would like to this model in IRL.

They are more attractive designs (than F1). But I suppose it is a question of taste too.

What it's a fact is that anti-competition regulation is chocking F1.

Yep. Set the overall dimensions up for maximum length, width and depth, ride height and a few other tiny parameters and tell the designers they can do whatever they want within those boundaries. Must pass the current crash testing, however. There's your key to making F1 the pinnacle again.

Yep. Set the overall dimensions up for maximum length, width and depth, ride height and a few other tiny parameters and tell the designers they can do whatever they want within those boundaries. Must pass the current crash testing, however. There's your key to making F1 the pinnacle again.

+1

If it's safe, has an open c#ckpit, and is propelled by tyres (no jets or other bullsht), that's all the regulation needed in F1.

Could you have more? No need but sure. If in want of fun, mix it up by requiring a certain mileage per gallon or similar.

I have a pet issue with aero, though. I would so much like to see cars that morph to improve breaking as well as curve and straight speeds.

And the most interesting thing about abolishing anti-competition regulation is that F1 costs would be reduced immensely.

Very cool....leave it to DOF to bring us interesting concepts. Thanks mate! :thbup:

P.S: quick launch much?

with all this attention to covering the wheels, why not go the whole hog and mate it a "sports Car" ?

I don't really like either. I guess this car would simply be a novelty factor for about a year to get a much needed boost in viewers for the series before it would inevitably hit back down to the level it is now-poor.

599_0_1265865009.jpg

599_0_1265865035.jpg

Am digging these Ganassi concepts.

What do you guys think of the idea of some super kick a## race, where there were very little rules. A once a year kind of thing where you turned up with a car, and whoever was fastest on the day one.

The original UFC was like that. A tournament kind of deal.

Though probably unrealistic, the idea of original designed cars like these, all turning up to a big race and it being a spectacle excites me.

Am digging these Ganassi concepts.

What do you guys think of the idea of some super kick a## race, where there were very little rules. A once a year kind of thing where you turned up with a car, and whoever was fastest on the day one.

The original UFC was like that. A tournament kind of deal.

Though probably unrealistic, the idea of original designed cars like these, all turning up to a big race and it being a spectacle excites me.

Those designs don't look to original. They look like Gabelich's Spirit of America. They look great, though (maybe because I loved those supercars when I was a kid)

with all this attention to covering the wheels, why not go the whole hog and mate it a "sports Car" ?

Aero efficiency and safety, while still being an open wheel racecar.

It's not that new of an idea either.

1956fr.jpg

The Ferrari-Lancia D50 streamliner

But F1 is neither the pinnacle of racecar innovation or of driving skill.

That ended in 94 when they banned the active rides to "promote driving skill" and then gave Schumacher a 3 race penalty for having too much driving skill.

It's an entertainment business.

Some of the ideas behind it (Delta Wing).

SPEED: Why no wings?

BOWLBY: “Wings are fragile, expensive, draggy and very turbulence sensitive. The geometry (shape) of this car’s bodywork and aero behavior is designed to allow better overtaking and closer racing.”

SPEED: Why cover most of the tire/wheel?

BOWLBY: “The biggest resistance for an Indy car is the drag of the exposed wheels and tires. At Indianapolis, 54 percent of the drag is the rotating wheels. By fairing the wheels there’s a huge gain in efficiency and a fantastic safety improvement from a contact standpoint.”

SPEED: in recent years teams have had to have road course and oval track configurations, long and short track suspensions, will this be prevalent with the Delta Wing?

BOWLBY: “The aero layout of the Delta Wing allows us to double the downforce by changing the height of the wicker on the top surface of the bodywork. And that can be achieved with $10 worth of aluminum."

SPEED: But only 300 HP, sounds so puny for an Indy car, which had 1,000 in the early 1970s.

BOWLBY: “It’s a function of drag and mass. This car will out accelerate a current Indy car and run 230 or 235 mph on 300 HP - if it had 500 HP it would run 270 mph around Indy! Today’s Indy car is an aerodynamic brick with a huge engine that spends its life burning fuel and components - it just shows how inefficient they are! That’s not surprising because for decades the regulations have mandated inefficiency as a way of controlling speed. Every significant efficiency improvement has been outlawed, whether it’s sliding skirts, active suspension or ground effects."

SPEED: What if Honda wants to stay with a V6 and compete against a V-4?

BOWLBY: “With fuel flow control you don’t need to limit configuration or capacity or cylinders or turbos - you just have to get the most HP from the available fuel. This is not a unique idea, it was proposed by Colin Chapman, Peter Wright and Keith Duckworth over the years but the technology is now available to make it a practical solution.”

Delta wings make everything faster! Look @ all the fastest most agile fighter jets, they all have delta wings & kick any non-delta wings a$$!

I can dig the principle of the Bowlby Car, in that it is efficient, low-drag etc.

It will probably run great on the ovals,but what about Watkins Glen or Road America?

I have worries about its understeering probabilities....!!! It just doesn't look like it goes around corners.

Imagine trying to get that thing around Monte Carlo..:rolleyes:

I can dig the principle of the Bowlby Car, in that it is efficient, low-drag etc.

It will probably run great on the ovals,but what about Watkins Glen or Road America?

I have worries about its understeering probabilities....!!! It just doesn't look like it goes around corners.

Imagine trying to get that thing around Monte Carlo..:rolleyes:

It has active differential rear wheel steering, kinda of like the rally cars from a few years ago.

A summary of all the 2012 candidates...you could make one hell of a series if you ran a few of these...

Dallara A: http://pressdog.type...50109970c-800wi

Selling point: same thing that's been breaking drivers' backs since forever

Dallara B: http://pressdog.type...50153970c-800wi

Selling point: none really

Dallara C: http://pressdog.type...50191970c-800wi

Selling point: it's unique but doesn't look like a penis

Swift 23: http://i49.tinypic.com/27yak4m.png

Selling point: it looks cool

Swift 32: http://i46.tinypic.com/1zntu2w.png

Selling point: "mushroom buster" makes airflow super friendly for cars going past other cars

Swift 33: http://i49.tinypic.com/fwqdlj.png

Selling point: a radical Swift 32

Delta Wing: http://cache.gawkera...ng_race_car.jpg

Selling point: I love the 300 hp and efficiency ideas, but does it really need to look like the kind of thing Hélio Castroneves would play with when he's alone in his bedroom? The lack of sidepods spells a return to death, too. A positive? It's "open source" as in any supplier can make their own version and run it.

Lola: http://www.lola-grou.../news_189_2.jpg, http://www.lola-grou.../news_189_3.jpg

Selling point: extreme safety improvements with more head protection as well as rear impact protection to stop the mass breakage of backs and it's not ugly and it shares a tub with the Lola FILS car. I love it.

Come on, IndyCar! You have your first chance since the 90s to not suck! Run them all!