Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Claim To Fame

So, just wondering, have you ever met anybody famous/well known before? If so, where did you meet them?

I guess the only person very well known I've met would be David Coulthard at the Autosport International show in 2009, but I have met a lot of the British Touring Car drivers over the years at various races.

Er. The Montoya's out shopping in Oxford.

Nigel Mansell - I was a kid, and at Rockingham. I asked him why he had such a bushy 'tache. He laughed at me as my dad apologised and I got a kiss on the cheek from him!

Simon Pegg. Nightclub.

Simon Cowell. I was in Harrods in London, had my iPod in and was singing. He tapped me on the shoulder and told me I should audition for X Factor. I told him the show was crap and to just sign me anyway! Very funny.

I went to school with Robbie Fowler and lived in the next street to him.

A number of Liverpool FC players. The one that I'll never forget was Michael Owen. I danced with him in a pubclub called O'Neills. Was great.

Christopher Lee at a Lord of the Rings convention. No I wasn't dressed up but I did buy my replica of Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) there. We had a conversation about Annatar (Sauron in human/angel form before he changed to the Dark Lord.) His voice is wonderful!

And last but not least Barry McGuigan. Was at a boxing spar when he turned up. I punched his right hand with my left. He's a nice guy and said I had a good amount of shoulder power. Haha!

but I did buy my replica of Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) there.

I can't get past this comment without giggling....

Well there was this time when I went to Halfords and bought my screwdriver: "Twisty", which will join "Thumpy" the hammer and "Squidgy" the grease-gun...... :D

So, just wondering, have you ever met anybody famous/well known before? If so, where did you meet them?

I guess the only person very well known I've met would be David Coulthard at the Autosport International show in 2009, but I have met a lot of the British Touring Car drivers over the years at various races.

I art-directed springbok and national players (photoshoot). At one stage I had to be strict with Habanna as he and Bakkies were joking instead of posing. Nothing like a little repremand when they're famous and you feel you're on top of the world. Nice fellas though...

I can't get past this comment without giggling....

Well there was this time when I went to Halfords and bought my screwdriver: "Twisty", which will join "Thumpy" the hammer and "Squidgy" the grease-gun...... :D

Dude. I know in my heart you're really a woman. You call yourself Grabthaw yet have a hammer called squeaky?

Whatever next. Drill bit called Wiggly?

According to my Dad, him & I bumped into Ben Kingsley, the guy from Gandhi, don't remember it but my Dad's full of bullsh1t anywhay so he was probs lying to me :rolleyes: !

According to my Dad, him & I bumped into Ben Kingsley, the guy from Gandhi, don't remember it but my Dad's full of bullsh1t anywhay so he was probs lying to me :rolleyes: !

Lol. Watch Sexy Beast. He's fantastic in that!

Took a 40 minute plane ride in a tiny 4-seater with nothing but the cold, gray Atlantic Ocean underneath, so, almost by default, I had a pleasant chat with Norman Mailer. This was dead of winter, 1975 or '76 I'd say. It didn't hurt that I was coincidentally reading one of his books. Brilliant man, mind you, with an ego the size of the Taj Mahal and taken to picking fights in dives but under the controlled circumstances we were in he was positively genteel. When the plane landed I helped him with his luggage across the near-frozen tarmac and said good-bye. Hardly spectacular but in it's own modest way, memorable.

Yup, shook hands with Lee 'Scratch' Perry in Amsterdam at Two Sevens Clash reggae festival in '98, and had a chat with Ziggy Marley in 013, Tilburg, the Netherlands in 2000. Whooaa!! That was a highlight, talking to the son of Bob. Irie!!

Related to Burt Munro (worlds fastest indian), met multiple world champions and world cup champion mountainbikers, can tell you Cadel Evans (now pro-road cyclist for Lotto) dances like a robot, have had drinking games with Ali Williams (All Black forward - he was my workmates flatmate), and also lots of other world-famous-in-New-Zealand people.

But my dad has the best one - pit crewed for Jim Clark when he came south for the Tasman Series.

Well, my friend's girlfriend's brother's twin, met a man who was the long lost cousin (3rd removed) of a woman who knew a builder who did work on her house who once met Lewis Hamilton in a pub!

Well, my friend's girlfriend's brother's twin, met a man who was the lost lost cousin (3rd removed) of a woman who knew a builder who did work on her house who once met Lewis Hamilton in a pub!

:lol:

Related to Burt Munro (worlds fastest indian), met multiple world champions and world cup champion mountainbikers, can tell you Cadel Evans (now pro-road cyclist for Lotto) dances like a robot, have had drinking games with Ali Williams (All Black forward - he was my workmates flatmate), and also lots of other world-famous-in-New-Zealand people.

But my dad has the best one - pit crewed for Jim Clark when he came south for the Tasman Series.

Even by proxy that's the most memorable moment so far.

:worshippy:

He's terrifying in that.

Cracks me up. Even at the end...

Must have been great for your Dad Handy. I got Jim Clark's autograph when he was driving the Lotus Cortina in the Brit Saloon Championship in the mid 60's.

Ask your Dad if he's heard of Brian Redman (damn quick in sports cars and F5000), I used to work on his car as an apprentice, got to a few races as crew for him too - well, coffee maker mainly ;) . Got to meet a great NZ guy then too, Denny Hulme. But me being a kid he politely ignored me once I'd got his autogtraph :)

Edit: ANd if anyone mentions JR Hartley, bugger off :lol:

Well,

kid was knocked over by him, a moment that will surely live with them for the rest of their life!