Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Le Mans 24 Hours 2010

Quite suprised nobody has started a topic on this so far. On Thursday, the ACO published the list of teams who will be racing at "La Sarthe" this year:

LMP1

#1 Peugeot Peugeot 908 HDi Wurz, TBA, TBA

#2 Peugeot Peugeot 908 HDi Minassian, TBA, TBA

#3 Peugeot Peugeot 908 HDi Bourdais, TBA, TBA

#4 ORECA Peugeot 908 HDi Panis, Lapierre, TBA

#5 Beechdean-Mansell Ginetta-Zytek Z09R Mansell, Mansell, Mansell

#6 ORECA ORECA 01-AIM Ayari, TBA, TBA

#7 Audi Audi R15 TDi Kristensen, McNish, Capello

#8 Audi Audi R15 TDi Lotterer, Fassler, Treluyer

#9 Audi Audi R15 TDi Rockenfeller, Bernhard, Dumas

#10 Dome Dome S102-Judd Philippe, TBA, TBA

#11 Drayson Lola B09/60-Judd Drayson, c#cker, TBA

#12 Rebellion Lola B10/60-Rebellion Belicchi, Boullion, TBA

#13 Rebellion Lola B10/60–Rebellion Prost, Jani, TBA

#14 Kolles Audi R10 TDi Albers, TBA, TBA

#15 Kolles Audi R10 TDi Bakkerud, TBA, TBA

#17 Pescarolo Pescarolo 01-Judd Tung, TBA, TBA

#18 Sora Pescarolo 01-Judd Tinseau, TBA, TBA

#19 Autocon Lola B06/10-AER Lewis, TBA, TBA

#007 Aston Martin Lola-Aston Martin Primat, TBA, TBA

#008 Signature-Plus Lola-Aston Martin Ragues, Mailleux, TBA

#009 Aston Martin Lola-Aston Martin Turner, TBA, TBA

LMP2

#24 Oak Pescarolo 01-Judd Nicolet, TBA, TBA

#25 RML Lola B08/80-HPD Newton, Erdos, TBA

#26 Highcroft Acura ARX-01c-HPD Brabham, Franchitti, TBA

#29 Racing Box Lola B08/80-Judd Pirri, TBA, TBA

#35 Oak Pescarolo 01-Judd Hein, TBA, TBA

#37 Welter/Salini WR-Zytek Salini, TBA, TBA

#40 Quifel-ASM Ginetta-Zytek 09S Amaral, Pla, TBA

#41 Bruichladdich Ginetta-Zytek 07S Ojjeh, Greaves, TBA

#42 Strakka Acura ARX-01c Watts, Leventis, TBA

GT1

#50 Larbre Saleen S7R Berville, Bornhauser, TBA

#52 Young Driver AMR Aston Martin DBR9 Nygaard, Enge, TBA

#53 Peka Chevrolet Corvette C6.R Kumpen, TBA, TBA

#61 Matech Ford GT Gachnang, Allemann, TBA

#69 JLOC Lamborghini Murcielago Yogo, TBA, TBA

#70 Marc VDS Ford GT de Doncker, TBA, TBA

#72 Alphand Chevrolet Corvette C6.R Alphand, TBA, TBA

#73 Alphand Chevrolet Corvette C6.R Gregoire, TBA, TBA

GT2

#63 Corvette Chevrolet Corvette C6.R Magnussen, O'Connell, Garcia

#64 Corvette Chevrolet Corvette C6.R Gavin, Beretta, TBA

#75 Prospeed Porsche 997 GT3 RSR van Splunteren, TBA, TBA

#76 IMSA Porsche 997 GT3 RSR Narac, TBA, TBA

#78 BMW BMW E92 M3 Muller, TBA, TBA

#79 BMW BMW E92 M3 Priaulx, TBA, TBA

#80 Flying Lizard Porsche 997 GT3 RSR Neiman, TBA, TBA

#81 Jaguar RSR Jaguar XKR GT2 Pruett, Goossens, Gentilozzi

#82 Risi Ferrari F430 GT2 Jonsson, Krohn, TBA

#83 Risi Ferrari F430 GT2 Melo, TBA, TBA

#84 Modena Ferrari F430 GT2 Rusinov, TBA, TBA

#85 Spyker Spyker C8 Laviolette Coronel, TBA, TBA

#89 Farnbacher Ferrari F430 GT2 Farnbacher, Simonsen, TBA

#92 JMW Aston Martin Vantage Bell, TBA, TBA

#96 AF Corse Ferrari F430 GT2 Perez-Companc, Russo, TBA

#97 BMS Ferrari F430 GT2 Malucelli, TBA, TBA

Intitial reactions:

LMP1: In a way, gets worse every year with diesels. There seems to be more every year, this year is no differance with 9 diesels present. I'm not in favour of banning diesels, I think different fuel choices should be encouraged, but at least have some way of making the petrol/diesel devision equal. Otherwise it's not fair on the petrol guys who pay a big fee to race there and never get a look in most times. I do think the Peugeot/Audi battle will be facinating again though, and I hope Aston Martin and Dome do well too.

LMP2: Great entry, great to see the Acuras finally at Le Mans for the first time, espacially one from Highcroft. No doubt they'll be class contenders amognst the best Lolas. A bit of a shame not to see a RS Spyder there to see how they truly compare over the course of the 24 hours, but overall, I'm happy with the quality of LMP2. A lot of diversity there, but I think there could have been more like Radical seems not to be present?

GT1: It's fair to say that Le Mans is the high point for GT1 normally on either side of the globe. This year looks to be no different. Very suprised to see the Ford GTs there, will be facinating to see what their reliability is like over the entire race, but again, a good mix of diveristy with Fords, Corvettes, Aston Martins, Lamborghinis and Saleens there. Strange there was no Maserati, I was led to believe that they'd be allowed to race this year and strange also that the Nissan GTRs are missing, however apparently Nissan didn't want the GTRs to race at Le Mans this year anyway, so maybe that explains it?

GT2: I'm really looking forward to GT2 this year. I really think that maybe this is the strongest class of any. GT2 seems to improve every year. Great mix of cars in the field, will be very curious to see how Corvette's GT2 cars and BMW's cars go. With Ferraris, Porsches, Spykers, Astons, BMWs, Corvettes and even a Jaguar, I think GT2 is showing it is the way forwards in GT racing these days. I'm finding it very hard to predict a winner in that category, I think it could be between 5 teams for victory.

As we continue to suffer the financial hangover from 2008 it's awfully good to see a strong list of entries for this year's Le Mans. Short of something truly bizarre occurring, yes, another 'Year of the Diesel' steamroller will most likely be the outcome in LMP1 and I would think at present the edge would go to Peugeot. If some freakish mechanical gremlin strikes either Audi or Peugeot maybe we'll get to see some other teams fighting for a shot at the podium, and should that be one of the Lola-Aston Martin entries I'll be grinning.

LMP2 could be more intriguing than their big brothers regardless of the total number of entries. Also, I agree that the inclusion of a couple of RS Spyders would have made the inter-class warfare even better.

GT1 is infinitely stronger in Europe than in the U.S. these days; what am I saying? It's disappeared in the U.S.! RE: the GTR, I think you're right. Nissan might not want them on the big stage for 24 hours just yet. Subjective choice: I'd like to see the DB9 take the marbles.

GT2 has grown in size and diversity in the U.S. as well. A couple of seasons back it was strictly a Porsche vs. Ferrari affair. In many ways this class could be the most exciting and certainly the most challenging for the teams entered. I'd like to see a Risi F430 out front when the flag drops but I think the Corvette team has the advantage of experience and depth.

The 12 Hours of Sebring is coming up on March 20 (I think that's the correct date) and that will help to get the juices flowing.

No. The R15s and R10s arn't, the Beechdean Lola isn't, the Pescarolos arn't, the second Oreca isn't and the Autocon Lola isn't.

I think that rule was dropped or put to a later year. I hope that'd never be the case though, open and closed cars add diversity. Sure the Group C cars were nice, but look to the future, not the past.

I think that rule was dropped or put to a later year. I hope that'd never be the case though, open and closed cars add diversity. Sure the Group C cars were nice, but look to the future, not the past.

But I'm old and want to live in the past. yawn.gif

As long as the chassis mfrs. aren't arguing about the advantages or disadvantages inherent in either design than I agree. Diversity is good for the sport and doesn't discourage potential entrants.

I think if they tried to recreate the style of Group C or even bring a series back called "Group C", they'd do more harm than good. If it was that good, it would have lasted a lot lot longer. Just saying! :P

I think if they tried to recreate the style of Group C or even bring a series back called "Group C", they'd do more harm than good. If it was that good, it would have lasted a lot lot longer. Just saying! :P

+1

Bump.

So, by this time next week ladies and gentlemen, the 78th Grand Prix of Endurance at the Circuit de la Sarthe, will have run its distance.

I thought seeing as there is only a short period of time before the Tricolour is waved, we could start some pre-race banter.

Here's an indicative content for Le Mans first timers and veterans unlucky enough to not be track side-damnit, I'll get there one day!

Timetable: (all times local)

Wednesday

16:00-20:00 Free Practice

22:00-24:00 Qualifying

Thursday

19:00-21:00 Qualifying

22:00-24:00 Qualifying

Saturday

09:00-09:45 Warm-up

15:00-Race start

Andy Blackmore's spotter's guide.

Radio Le Mans-full radio coverage right through the race.

Full entry list.

Official website, live timing will appear here once the race starts.

Weather, seems like it could be wet for Saturday at least.

Right. Le Mans 2010 starts here!

I'll predict...

LMP1

Peugeot will be dominant, with the number 3 vehicle winning class and overall. Audi will be their closest competition, but not too close. Predictable, to say the least. Even more predictable will be Marco Andretti binning the Rebellion Lola.

LMP2

The HPD ARX-01c will not win on debut; on paper, Brabham, Franchitti, and Werner are too strong of a lineup in too strong of a car, but Highcroft have been known to struggle in the 12 Hours of Sebring and reliability could be an issue. I anticipate problems, but I most certainly hope they win.

GT1

I know nothing about any of the entrants. One of them will win.

GT2

This will be the most exciting class of them all; any number of cars could win. I'm hoping Patrick Long and his team can triumph, but I'm very interested to see how the Corvettes and BMWs perform against the more-established (in modern-day GT2 terms at least) Porsche and Ferrari. I'd love to see any of the ALMS teams win, of course, though it's far too competitive to really say any of them will (I know Rocketsports won't with their Jaguar)!

It should be fun to watch. I hope P1 is more exciting than I'm expecting it to be.

RE: Marco A., I sometimes wonder if the Andretti genes Mario has haven't been lost in translation as they have been passed along.

That said, GT2 should be the most exciting and most competitive.

I think LMP1 will be closer than you think Eric. Rain will play into Audi's strength for sure, as proven in the past. I'm sure also that even in Peugeot have a faster car, Audi will use the strategy to over come that, as seen in 2008 for example. I don't think it'll be a cat walk for either team though, and if they trip up, then there's a high quality grid of petrol cars behind.

It's very early in the season yet, but Le Mans week often provides lots of interesting stories. Here's a round up of what we can expect in 2011 in which is already looking to be a great year for sportscars.

As we know, 2011 involves some quite serious rule changes. Here is a run down of what the rules for '11 are.

Okay, on with the announcements.

• Peugeot has announced that it'll have a new year car next year, the 909 which will replace their current 4 year old car. Possible chance for more 908 customer cars perhaps?
  • Audi has confirmed that the R15+'s sucessor will be in the form of the R18, so new cars for the two main teams.
  • Porsche plans a hybrid prototype car, maybe 2012-2013 though as they claim the rules need defining.
  • Aston Martin also says they'll bring a new car to the '11 party and that it's "more likely to be open than closed". Two privateers also in 2011, Signature and ?
  • Oreca has long since confirmed they'll also bring a new car too, no indication as to whether it'd be open or closed, but it'll be Peugeot powered.
  • WR will move up into LMP1 next year too, Peugeot power confirmed.
  • Courage will return to the top flight P1 category in '11 also, with an all electric powered car. Interesting to see how that will go.
  • Top LMS LMP2 runner ASM confirm they'll also step up into P1 with a Ginnetta Zytek in 2011.
  • Bit of GT news for you, and the Panoz Abruzzi has been revealed today for the first time. Yes, it's hideously ugly, but it'll soon be in the GT2 category. A race debut with one car at Petit this year, with 2 in ALMS in '11 with hopes to go to Le Mans as well.
  • Aaaaand lastly, the car that will replace the 430GT in '11, the Ferrari 458 Italia. According to team owner Dominik Farnbacher, the car has been built but not tested yet, but is on track for a debut at Sebring.

G'night. :)

Yep, first time in ages there will be 56 cars. Good to see a Radical in the race too.

I think LMP1 will be closer than you think Eric. Rain will play into Audi's strength for sure, as proven in the past. I'm sure also that even in Peugeot have a faster car, Audi will use the strategy to over come that, as seen in 2008 for example. I don't think it'll be a cat walk for either team though, and if they trip up, then there's a high quality grid of petrol cars behind.

Noop! Audi won 2008 Le mans because a more effective TC! One of the improvements in 2009 Peugeot was the traction control because of 2008 fail during the rain stages of the race.

Nope, based on the fact that currently that system is now allowed, but it probably is for next year, that's why Porsche is planning a hybrid prototype.