Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumikonen

Danica Is A Real Driver

Source

Energetic Danica adds spice to NASCAR with strong Daytona debut

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Danica Patrick's Daytona debut is over, culminating with an impressive sixth-place finish in the Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 ARCA race. Here are five things we learned from the experience.

1. Danica can really race. For those who doubt that Patrick is a real driver, she showed them Saturday what she's capable of doing in a stock car. After starting 12th, she drove a smart race in the beginning before making forward progress. She ran as high as 5th on lap 30 after a lengthy red-flag stoppage, but when she went three-wide on lap 53 with Nelson Piquet, Jr. in the middle, she got punted across the infield grass and fell back to 24th place.

"We came out of [turn] four and people were checking up and slowing down," Patrick said, "so I went to the inside and [Piquet] was dropping back and [he] got into the inside line. I was there and held my line because I couldn't go below the yellow line. "I could either back out and give it up, or wuss out, or I could keep my foot into it. So I just did what they told us in the driver's meeting."

What she did after that showed she has true potential in this form of racing. When the green flag waved with 17 laps to go, Patrick was 23rd but still on the lead lap. She displayed impressive racing savvy by moving up to 8th with nine laps remaining as the racing became furious with eventual race winner Bobby Gerhart still at the front.

"I was working the outside line," Patrick said. "I know what [Dale Earnhardt, Jr.] sees in the outside line because you don't have to lift up there while everybody else has to check up. I had so much momentum going by everyone. I took a few chances and it worked out. It was fun.

"I definitely learned how to use the fenders a little bit," she said. "I felt the fenders, too. I don't care that I did because now I know what it feels like to be pushed up the track. I wanted to be smart; make it to the end and learn something in this race.

"It was really cool to come back in the top 5 again. I really said, 'What the heck, I made it this far,' so I jumped up high and didn't have many takers up there. It was a lot of fun. I was bumped from the side, bumped from the front, bumped from the back. I had so much fun in a race car [saturday]. ... I can't wait to do it again."

2. Patrick impressed the boss. Considering that team co-owner Kelley Earnhardt's father, Dale, was a seven-time NASCAR Cup champion, and her brother is Dale Jr., it takes a lot to impress her. But Patrick succeeded in doing so on Saturday.

"I was sitting in Dale Jr.'s motor home watching it and I was saying, 'Damn, girl! Damn, girl!'" Kelley Earnhardt said. "I'm ecstatic. A. We brought home a race car in one piece and finished sixth. She did a fantastic job of bringing the race car up there. She showed us she is able to drive, definitely. One time I saw her on the high side and she drove it down low and I thought, 'C'mon, let's pull off an Earnhardt and pass 18 cars in three laps and win this thing.' She did fantastic in her first stock car race, she was aggressive, didn't back off and pulled off a good finish.

"I would have liked to have seen her in the lead but she did a great job. The spin was good for her to go to the back and come back up through the pack and learn. That is what she needs to do if she is going to learn these cars."

3. Bobby Gerhart, the victor, didn't mind being upstaged by Patrick. Shortly after winning the race, the grizzled Gerhart was not upset that his record sixth ARCA victory at Daytona was being overlooked because of the attention Patrick brought to this race.

"I'm glad she was here," Gerhart said. "It brought some much-needed attention to the series. I actually welcome the opportunity to have a national platform."

Gerhart didn't get a chance to meet the IndyCar Series driver afterwards because she was swarmed by fans and media.

"I didn't see her or talk to her all week," he said. "How about that? But I did notice this extremely large group of media outside her trailer near mine -- I thought they were coming to see me."

While Danica dominated the attention, Gerhart's achievement was historic.

"As a little kid, I dreamed of having an opportunity to come here and race," he said. "When that happens, naturally comes the passion to come out and win, but I couldn't imagine doing it this many times. I've got to tell you, though, I hate the number six. We've got to swing for seven."

4. Tony Eury Jr. may have tipped his hand that Patrick will race in next Saturday's Nationwide race at Daytona. While Patrick and Kelley Earnhardt said they will wait until Monday to make a decision whether she'll compete, crew chief Tony Eury Jr. said if the team decides to go with Kelly Bires, the crew is "prepared to change the seat." In other words, Patrick's seat is already in one of the team's Nationwide Series cars.

"We're ready," Eury said. "It's just a matter of if we get a phone call that says 'yes,' we'll be ready. If we get a phone call that says 'no,' we'll change seats and be back down here."

Patrick remains noncommittal. "I haven't made any decisions for next Saturday; I'm just thinking about today and what I've learned and what I can do better," she said. "I'm proud of everyone's hard work thus far. We have not talked at all about what is going on next weekend. You needn't forget that Kelly Bires is running the full season. He has been a really great teammate, so we haven't made any decisions."

Kelley Earnhardt said the decision will be made by Patrick. "It's totally her decision. I don't know if one race is going to put it in the bucket for her, but she is going to have to think about that. She is probably thinking right now, 'Hell, yes, let's go,' because she is beaming with excitement; but let's take the night and think about it.

"I'm 50/50. I want to see her out there doing it because this is what we signed up to do, but there is a lot of experience [in that race] I don't know if she is ready for."

Just a hunch, but I believe Patrick will be in the Nationwide race next Saturday.

5. Just follow the crowd. Ever since arriving at Daytona, Patrick has been the pied piper. That was certainly the case after the ARCA race as mobs of fans and media followed her to the transporter. And, just to show that security will be a problem in keeping the crowds at bay, fans were able to infiltrate Patrick's transporter area as the driver addressed the media. In fact, one guy wearing a NAPA jacket and a University of Alabama cap was front and center, taking personal video with his digital camera, acing out reporters from The Charlotte Observer, The Los Angeles Times and SI.com for the best position.

Patrick's presence was reminiscent of a rock star, but if anyone can handle that, it's JR Motorsports.

"I've been part of a rock star, what are you talking about," Kelley Earnhardt said, referring to her brother, Dale. "But [Danica's crowd] was part of a bigger crowd than we have seen with Dale Jr. in quite some time. It's pretty cool. I'm glad for her; it was a successful outcome. She did a great job, and now we have a lot of positive things to talk about."

After spending her entire career in open-wheel race cars, Patrick knew she would have a few surprises in a stock car. But she seems to be a quick learner.

"There were a lot of yellows today," Patrick said. "I mean a lot of yellows! And the car does get pretty loose when you get hit. I always made sure when I hit someone I did it in a straight line. Everything surprised me a little bit, but nothing was crazy. That is why I had fun, too."

After dodging some squirrels in ARCA, Patrick now has to step up the game when she goes against a tougher brand of competition in the Nationwide races, which features some of the top NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers who double-dip.

I wonder why she is not in F1?

Because Eric is secretly in love with her, and won't let her out of the USA

Funny thing is that they both have been just chatting and never seen eachother.....She thinks Eric is 26 handsome hairy Italian American, driving an Acura...:D

But we all know he is a 56 year old Hippie driving a VW Microbus...:P

that's good for me too so I can see her too.

Funny thing is that they both have been just chatting and never seen eachother.....She thinks Eric is 26 handsome hairy Italian American, driving an Acura...:D

But we all know he is a 56 year old Hippie driving a VW Microbus...:P

:lol:

Ok. Why would she not be a real driver? Is she a mirage, projected onto the track? Or in fact, an Alien? She could be the daughter of that ugly mofo in Aliens, the queen alien who had an issue with Ripley. Or worse. Paris Hiltons pet dog. Who knows? Discuss.

Stupid article if you ask me, and thats no reflection on you Tommy. You're still freakionnen to me bud.

You shouldn't ask yourself why she is not in F1. You should ask yourself why Nelsinho (his team mate, who punted her and then yet another car and ended in 27th position or something like that) was in F1 in the first place.

The guy keeps crashing even without Briatore commanding him to do so. He has it in his blood, I guess...

Ok. Why would she not be a real driver? Is she a mirage, projected onto the track? Or in fact, an Alien? She could be the daughter of that ugly mofo in Aliens, the queen alien who had an issue with Ripley. Or worse. Paris Hiltons pet dog. Who knows? Discuss.

Stupid article if you ask me, and thats no reflection on you Tommy. You're still freakionnen to me bud.

Don't be surprised of me doing stupid things, even as unlikely as it may seems I still do a lot of them I just try not to show it in public like this :P .

I chose that title for those who believe she is there just because she is the most beautiful female driver ever and because that is part of the first point, she is showing what she is capable of and I think she could be dong a better job that some male drivers in F1 and besides that it would add more interest in the sport, with Kimi out of F1 anf Schumi (those two made me change my nickname) denying autograph she could have been my favorite driver but she is in Nascar instead at least she is enjoing teh experience.

You shouldn't ask yourself why she is not in F1. You should ask yourself why Nelsinho (his team mate, who punted her and then yet another car and ended in 27th position or something like that) was in F1 in the first place.

The guy keeps crashing even without Briatore commanding him to do so. He has it in his blood, I guess...

You should have said HER team mate not HIS team mate, Danika is a Her and I and pretty sure of that, but taking it like you worte HER instead of HIS, you are agreeing with me there have been a lot of worse driver than NPJ and there still are some of them even got good results because of the car they were driving, so in own personal opinion she could be a great asset(and please, leave this word like I wrote it) to F1, Bernie should be the one pushing for this not me and Erick.

Simple. Driving a circuit like Suzuka or Monaco or Spa is much more challenging than simply driving around in ovals all the time.....:mf_tongue:

(:P)

Simple. Driving a circuit like Suzuka or Monaco or Spa is much more challenging than simply driving around in ovals all the time.....:mf_tongue:

(:P)

I wouldn't say that, those guys driving in ovals get more G forces than the F1 drivers and usually drive faster for a longer period of time too.

I wouldn't say that, those guys driving in ovals get more G forces than the F1 drivers and usually drive faster for a longer period of time too.

Maybe, but there's more corners on a Formula One track. As Tiff Needell pointed out at Autosport International, and I quote "She does alright on ovals, but when they are on road courses, she's at the back of the flippin' field!"

She may well be a good driver. Infact, I know she is. F1 calibre? No way.

you think scott speed got treated bad in f1 , this girl would get murdered.

Explain. Go on. I'll give you a chance before I tear your posting to shreds.

This is not correct. NASCAR gets a maximum of 3-4 lateral Gs on a Superspeedway during two turns. F1 drivers get 3-4 lateral Gs for 10-15 turns, combined with acceleration and braking Gs of 5+ for 10-15 turns. NASCAR drivers need to be fit, but nothing in the same league as an F1 driver.

Danica has raced road courses and has done pretty well. Could she do F1? No clue, but lets stick her in a car and find out. Jeff Gordon, a few years back, impressed Williams during a promotional 'stunt' where he and JPM switched cars. Gordon was apparently less than a second off JPM's time. Pretty impressive for a NASCAR guy that hadn't ever driven an F1 car before.

Explain. Go on. I'll give you a chance before I tear your posting to shreds.

Man....I would love to post something like that to get ripped....:D as long as you wear Tomb Raider costume....:D

Hmm...interesting thing is that girls can withstand more G Forces than men......

As Tiff Needell pointed out at Autosport International, and I quote "She does alright on ovals, but when they are on road courses, she's at the back of the flippin' field!"

The irony, strong words from a failed racing driver.

Maybe, but there's more corners on a Formula One track. As Tiff Needell pointed out at Autosport International, and I quote "She does alright on ovals, but when they are on road courses, she's at the back of the flippin' field!"

She may well be a good driver. Infact, I know she is. F1 calibre? No way.

I'll let Erick to answer you about this as he doesn't think like Tiff Needell about this, I would dig a post about that from Erick but I am too tired now after a record braking snow storm (30.5 inches in my area) and now I must rest because there's another one coming for tomorrow with 12-18 inches of snow to put on top of this one.

Here is a picture of my car just so you have an idea of what I am taking about

22541_1361270188900_1145913860_1101559_6072236_n.jpg

This is not correct. NASCAR gets a maximum of 3-4 lateral Gs on a Superspeedway during two turns. F1 drivers get 3-4 lateral Gs for 10-15 turns, combined with acceleration and braking Gs of 5+ for 10-15 turns. NASCAR drivers need to be fit, but nothing in the same league as an F1 driver.

Danica has raced road courses and has done pretty well. Could she do F1? No clue, but lets stick her in a car and find out. Jeff Gordon, a few years back, impressed Williams during a promotional 'stunt' where he and JPM switched cars. Gordon was apparently less than a second off JPM's time. Pretty impressive for a NASCAR guy that hadn't ever driven an F1 car before.

Excuse me if I didn't explain myself corretly but I was talking about IRL and Indycar and that amazing average speed of the superovals like Texas and Indy, I remember once that Texas' race was canceled because of the blackout fear I have never seen anything like it in F1, not even close and I prefer F1 than those series but these are facts too.

Hmm...interesting thing is that girls can withstand more G Forces than men......

I never said that but I met a girl called Samantha Weeks who can and do withstand more G forces than those guys in F1, she was a Thunderbirds pilot for 2008 and 2009 here is she:

1560181746_03133028ab.jpg

The irony, strong words from a failed racing driver.

Yeah, "As Tiff Needell..." sounds like just an uptight prick, unless I'm reading it the wrong way.

Well, the cynic in me will always assume that she didn't take the F1 opportunity when it came up because she knows she isn't good enough. Like Tiff Needell or not, you have to admit, there seems to be some truth in that statement.

I guess I just don't understand the hype that surronds her. She's won one race. Wow. Good for her.

Well, the cynic in me will always assume that she didn't take the F1 opportunity when it came up because she knows she isn't good enough. Like Tiff Needell or not, you have to admit, there seems to be some truth in that statement.

I guess I just don't understand the hype that surronds her. She's won one race. Wow. Good for her.

She didn't move to F1 because it wasn't important for her. She makes more money here in the States and this is home. She likes racing here. With all the anti-American crap out there I can understand her desire to stay at home (Look what abuse Scott Speed had to take and he won two European championships and was pretty quick). Remember, here in the States, F1 is perceived as a novelty...a fringe, if you will...sport. Some talk of American arrogance, but ignore the hypocrisy of their own arrogance. Not everyone thinks F1 is the pinnacle.

The hype is earned. She's a fast, solid, gutsy racer that has earned the respect of her fellow drivers. To them, she's not a piece of tail; she's competition. As more and more females enter the sport, better and bigger talent will emerge, but it all has to start somewhere, with someone, and Danica is among the forerunners who are good enough to make men realize that women can, indeed, compete on the same track.

[quote name='Autumnpuma' date='10 February 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1265832075' post='309790']
She didn't move to F1 because it wasn't important for her. She makes more money here in the States and this is home. She likes racing here. With all the anti-American crap out there I can understand her desire to stay at home (Look what abuse Scott Speed had to take and he won two European championships and was pretty quick). Remember, here in the States, F1 is perceived as a novelty...a fringe, if you will...sport. Some talk of American arrogance, but ignore the hypocrisy of their own arrogance. Not everyone thinks F1 is the pinnacle.

The hype is earned. She's a fast, solid, gutsy racer that has earned the respect of her fellow drivers. To them, she's not a piece of tail; she's competition. As more and more females enter the sport, better and bigger talent will emerge, but it all has to start somewhere, with someone, and Danica is among the forerunners who are good enough to make men realize that women can, indeed, compete on the same track.
[/quote]
Amen :clap3:

Maybe. As I say, I'm a cynic. I just think she knows she'd have found F1 a much tougher time and damaged her image in the States.

Maybe. As I say, I'm a cynic. I just think she knows she'd have found F1 a much tougher time and damaged her image in the States.

I'll be blunt. You arrogantly believe that *everyone* shares your view that F1 is the top of the heap and that every driver, in every series want to be in F1.

You are quite wrong, but possibly too young to realize it.