Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikathegreat2

Pre-Season Testing

Might aswell start a topic on the final pre-season shakedown @ Jerez! Twas very wet yesterday but Rosberg did very well, so did Buemi inafct here's the times:

1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP, 1:20.927, 57 Laps

2. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 1:21.031, 84 Laps

3. Nico Hulkenberg, Williams, 1:22.243, 118 Laps

4. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:22.895, 88 Laps

5. Kamui Kobayashi, BMW Sauber, 1:23.287, 55 Laps

6. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:24.947, 68 Laps

7. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Force India, 1:24.968, 71 Laps

8. Vitaly Petrov, Renault, 1:25.440, 27 Laps

9. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:26.502, 50 Laps

10. Timo Glock, Virgin, 1:38.734, 5 Laps

Virgin are struggling but they're noobies so we'll let em away with it! Expecting Schumi to be testing today, times are to come!

Didn't the Virgin car have a wing failure today? After a very short number of laps?

I know everyone is bound to say this whenever Virgin has any kind of problem, but perhaps a wind tunnel would have caught such a basic design flaw.

Didn't the Virgin car have a wing failure today? After a very short number of laps?

I know everyone is bound to say this whenever Virgin has any kind of problem, but perhaps a wind tunnel would have caught such a basic design flaw.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

Could be the explanation they give to all of their supporters. Well, to the few that there are.

I think Virgin are in trouble even at this early stage. So far, they've had very little dry running (heck, running at all) and today when it was dry in their theoretical better driver, the nose dropped off and they didn't have the pieces to replace it. I think they'll be praying for it to stay dry over the next two days to get some much needed knowledge on this car.

Their problem is that they have a shortage of parts so getting a new wing might cost Branson an arm & his (god forid) beard!

The parts are not an issue now. They have fixed that problem for today's test.

The Saubers look fast.

I was thinking just that! I'm glad for them.

This could be down to the fact that Sauber had the best wind tunnel facility in formula 1 under Bmw so maybe it's finally getting results?

I was thinking just that! I'm glad for them.

This could be down to the fact that Sauber had the best wind tunnel facility in formula 1 under Bmw so maybe it's finally getting results?

Deja vu? The guys develop the car and then give up hand it over to somebody else and walk away, and it turns out to be a winner.....hmm...may be BMW were aware of their potential, which could explain why Sauber kept the name....:rolleyes:

So in a way they could claim the glory if Sauber does well......unlike Honda who were left banging their head on the wall, over and over and over again.....:D

Day three results:

1. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:19.919 76

2. de la Rosa BMW-Sauber 1:20.736 58

3. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:21.428 48

4. Massa Ferrari 1:21.603 72

5. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:21.783 59

6. Petrov Renault 1:22.000 68

7. Rosberg Mercedes GP 1:22.820 53

8. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:23.217 120

9. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:23.985 68

10. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:37.107 8

Funny how a Mercedes-powered & Ferrari-powered cars have better times than the real McCoys themselves. Of course, these times have no weightage, but it'll be hilarious to see it repeated in season proper. As a matter of fact, it did happen last year, right? RBR vis-a-vis Reno.

Schumacher will conclude the test for Mercedes tomorrow. Other than that, I don't think there any changes.

Friday times:

1. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:19.919, 76 Laps

2. Pedro de la Rosa, BMW Sauber, 1:20.736, 58 Laps

3. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:21.428, 48 Laps

4. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:21.603, 72 Laps

5. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:21.783, 59 Laps

6. Vitaly Petrov, Renault, 1:22.000, 68 Laps

7. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP, 1:22.820, 53 Laps

8. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:23.217, 120 Laps

9. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:23.985, 68 Laps

10. Lucas di Grassi, Virgin, 1:37.107, 8 Laps

Wow, Alguersuari .8 secs ahead of Pedro!!! Sutil not doing too bad but McLaren & Mercedes seem to be sandbagging!

Source

Unofficial Times

1. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-25 1:19.583 113 laps

2. A. Sutil Force India VJM-03 1:20.180 +0.597 84 laps

3. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:20.341 +0.758 90 laps

4. R. Kubica Renault R30 1:20.358 +0.775 85 laps

5. M. Schumacher Mercedes GP W01 1:20.613 +1.030 84 laps

6. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB6 1:21.203 +1.620 90 laps

7. F. Massa Ferrari F10 1:21.485 +1.902 160 laps

8. P. de la Rosa Sauber C29 1:22.134 +2.551 105 laps

9. L. Di Grassi Virgin Racing VR-01 1:22.912 +3.329 63 laps

10. J. Alguersuari Toro Rosso STR5 1:24.072 +4.489 98 laps

It's good to see Hamilton on top but the real surprise is Virgin's time that is even faster than Toro Rosso, they may have a good package and I really hope so.

Hello all,

My two cents.

It seems to me the Ferrari and Mercedes are going quicker than McLaren, RedBull quick and fragile, watch it Adrian! I'll say the Sauber is easier to use than the Renault, for now. And the spoiler could be Force India.

Does any one know just how much different the STR 2010 is over the RedBull 2010, they say no chassis sharing but I just wonder what is different in those two.

Yeah, all in all a good day's testing. Lewis/McLaren look to be on the pace and I've been thinking about Virgin. Why do you like them Tommy? At first I was hoping they'd be rubbish because Branson seemed pretty selfish and annoying when at Brawn last year but the other day I read they're the first team to design their car purely by CFD. Their car is a great test of innovation, and sort of similar to my work, so I think that means I actually want them to do well, despite Branson.

Of course it's harder to design a car using only computer simulations and I guess the real reason they did it is to save money. That said, with their budget and inexperience, they'd be at the back anyway even with wind tunnels. If you put a top driver in their car, it'd probably be half a second a lap faster for a start. And some experienced engineers might give them another 0.5s/lap too. Add in a larger budget a la Ferrari and I reckon they're giving away maybe 2s/lap even before considering the lack of wind tunnel testing. After all, that Ferrari is probably the result of more computer time than the Virgin Racing racer as well as having wind tunnel time.

Since Lewis was probably lighter than Di Grassi on his hot lap, probably the computer simulations have got them well within 1s/lap of a car designed with the same budget but using wind tunnels. Not bad for some computer calculations imho. Anyway this is pure speculation but surely that team is showing some of the most interesting innovation we've seen for a while. Maybe soon we can compare them to similar budget/experience teams who used a combination of CFD and wind tunnels. That will be exciting, won't it?

Yeah, all in all a good day's testing. Lewis/McLaren look to be on the pace and I've been thinking about Virgin. Why do you like them Tommy? At first I was hoping they'd be rubbish because Branson seemed pretty selfish and annoying when at Brawn last year but the other day I read they're the first team to design their car purely by CFD. Their car is a great test of innovation, and sort of similar to my work, so I think that means I actually want them to do well, despite Branson.

Of course it's harder to design a car using only computer simulations and I guess the real reason they did it is to save money. That said, with their budget and inexperience, they'd be at the back anyway even with wind tunnels. If you put a top driver in their car, it'd probably be half a second a lap faster for a start. And some experienced engineers might give them another 0.5s/lap too. Add in a larger budget a la Ferrari and I reckon they're giving away maybe 2s/lap even before considering the lack of wind tunnel testing. After all, that Ferrari is probably the result of more computer time than the Virgin Racing racer as well as having wind tunnel time.

Since Lewis was probably lighter than Di Grassi on his hot lap, probably the computer simulations have got them well within 1s/lap of a car designed with the same budget but using wind tunnels. Not bad for some computer calculations imho. Anyway this is pure speculation but surely that team is showing some of the most interesting innovation we've seen for a while. Maybe soon we can compare them to similar budget/experience teams who used a combination of CFD and wind tunnels. That will be exciting, won't it?

You almost said all, it is very interesting to watch how they do on track with that car and without wind tunnel, I actually think they are closer than what it shows this test because they didn't have the same testing time as the rest and they are testing with a rookie like you said, I think that to design a F1 car like that is a big gamble but it looks like it paid for them or maybe (which is the most probable) I don't know anything about computer simulation and design while they were pretty sure of what they were doing, I would love to see the Virgin people's smile after today result after what we could find yestarday in the press about how stupid it was to design a car without wind tunnel and the comedy (as the press call it) they were mounting on track loosing the front wing.

With all this it looks like they are ready to give us some lessons about design and management of a new team, I can't wait to see what Glock can do with this car, if he does a good job many people with be eaten their words like I will be doing if Lotus comes out with a good package too, their car looks like is not going to work with all those straight line, IMO it looks like aero deficient, I see and I can only think about drag, I hope I am wrong for the sake of the show, I would like to see a very competitive season with Ferrari coming dead last or even further back. :P

Testing times are still just a meaningless number. With the wet weather, varying testing programmes and fuel loads, all you have to do is get your vintage minardi on track, fuel it lightly and it will be on top of the charts in no time.

My only source of insight into the tests is James Allen. ANd he sparingly gives any hints (as I guess he is barely getting any from the mechanics as well). He mentioned that a lot of sandbagging is going on at the moment, which means that any car could be the fastest come Melbourne. I'd say Campos Meta and USF1 are leading the sandbagging lot so far so...who knows? :whistling:

Anyways, the most impressive is the number of laps Massa has done so far. That is one car that has been thoroughly tested so whatever its real performance is compared to the others, at least it was probably the team that ended up with most significant that to improve their car, if needed.

As for lap times, as JA points out, it's not about which one made the fastest but who placed the most laps with consistently good times. So far he singled out Alonso and Schumi. Alonso did 48 laps all consistently around 1.21s and Schumi likewise with 30 odd laps at 1.23. Massa today allegedly did a session until he ran out of fuel (thus the stoppage) but that was on purpose as they were testing how long could he go with a full tank. His times at the beginning and end were all around 1.23, too.

You work on CFD?? I'm thinking of basing my project on it. :D

Testing times are still just a meaningless number. With the wet weather, varying testing programmes and fuel loads, all you have to do is get your vintage minardi on track, fuel it lightly and it will be on top of the charts in no time.

My only source of insight into the tests is James Allen. ANd he sparingly gives any hints (as I guess he is barely getting any from the mechanics as well). He mentioned that a lot of sandbagging is going on at the moment, which means that any car could be the fastest come Melbourne. I'd say Campos Meta and USF1 are leading the sandbagging lot so far so...who knows? :whistling:

Anyways, the most impressive is the number of laps Massa has done so far. That is one car that has been thoroughly tested so whatever its real performance is compared to the others, at least it was probably the team that ended up with most significant that to improve their car, if needed.

As for lap times, as JA points out, it's not about which one made the fastest but who placed the most laps with consistently good times. So far he singled out Alonso and Schumi. Alonso did 48 laps all consistently around 1.21s and Schumi likewise with 30 odd laps at 1.23. Massa today allegedly did a session until he ran out of fuel (thus the stoppage) but that was on purpose as they were testing how long could he go with a full tank. His times at the beginning and end were all around 1.23, too.

Nice Post Andres, I'm also 1 that follows JA's blog, in fact I visit his website everyday....he always gives nice iunsight

Anyway you have to admit that posting a somewhat good time for a new team without wind tunnel is not an easy task and that is something that I can read from this test, if a car doesn't work it will never post good times no matter how light the car it because some time even the weigh is needed to post a good lap, I don't know who is fastest right now and I am not trying to find out but I know that if you posted a good time is because you have a good car, last year people were speculating about Brown's pace but the pace was real and they are the champs so something can be read in those test.