Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Intra Team Fights

Aside from the WDC/WCC drama, we will witness the coincidence of having 3 particularly competitive drivers (MS/FA/LH) along with 3 team mates which are as hungry for glory as they are (NR/FM/LH), and quite capable. It's no coincidence that Brawn, Dennis/Whitmarsh and di Montezemolo had all made many comments playing down any favoritism (and the serious doubt those same comments do arise)

We already saw some glimpses of the intra team duels. We already know how much incidence these mind games can be and how fierce they can get (let's not talk about 2007 again!).

Some of you only like the technological side of F1 and frown upon these bickering, but I find it fascinating and a true test to a driver's mentality so I made this thread to keep track of them.

This is the first one (I missed the odd number thing at MGP and a few more but what the heck)

Feb.12 (GMM) Fernando Alonso pleaded ignorance on Thursday when asked about an erupting controversy between Felipe Massa and the Spanish press.

Brazilian Massa, who is Ferrari newcomer Alonso's 2010 teammate, was quoted in an interview this week as saying the Spaniard should work to better integrate with the Maranello based team.

The 28-year-old was also quoted as saying that Alonso is no longer F1's best driver, due to the return of Michael Schumacher.

In response, the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo hit back at Massa in a headline: "Por que no te callas?" (Why don't you shut up?").

The newspaper said Massa is pushing hard against Alonso because he "does not want to go back to being a number two".

"I don't even know what we're talking about," Alonso said at Thursday's Jerez testing.

"Imagine how much we worry about these things here in our team! I felt immediately at ease here in Ferrari and I've been warmly welcomed by everyone. It's like being at home," he insisted.

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/330913/Alonso_calm_amid_Massas_Spanish_media_row/

Aside from the WDC/WCC drama, we will witness the coincidence of having 3 particularly competitive drivers (MS/FA/LH) along with 3 team mates which are as hungry for glory as they are (NR/FM/LH), and quite capable. It's no coincidence that Brawn, Dennis/Whitmarsh and di Montezemolo had all made many comments playing down any favoritism (and the serious doubt those same comments do arise)

We already saw some glimpses of the intra team duels. We already know how much incidence these mind games can be and how fierce they can get (let's not talk about 2007 again!).

Some of you only like the technological side of F1 and frown upon these bickering, but I find it fascinating and a true test to a driver's mentality so I made this thread to keep track of them.

This is the first one (I missed the odd number thing at MGP and a few more but what the heck)

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/330913/Alonso_calm_amid_Massas_Spanish_media_row/

I already said this will start in Ferrari fisrt and it looks like that but it is good to see that you know that LH have no competition as he is agianst him in your post :P

I already said this will start in Ferrari fisrt and it looks like that but it is good to see that you know that LH have no competition as he is agianst him in your post :P

Oops...my subconscious :lol:

But I don't think this started at Ferrari first. I already mentioned the "number 3" row at MGP. But if you mean that the most noticeable lashes will be performed at Ferrari then I must agree. That is, unless JB beats Hammy :P

Based on the utter clap trap nonsense most media have to say, this is nothing new. Indeed, the Alono/Massa rivalry seems to have started in 1837....

I wouldn't really read too much either and to be honest, I'm not that bothered if it's true. As lnog as they are winning, it's all good.

Actually, I don't see what Massa has said wrong. Schumi is the best there was & is. And about Massa wanting to push hard 'cos he doesn't want to be #2 again, what's wrong? Stupid Spanish press doesn't want their China hero to be challenged.

I actually do want intra-team fights. Anything to spice up F1 news. Life's boring otherwise.

There will be intra-team fights, but it depends on the teams to manage it properly.

I didn't see anything wrong from Massa this time. He's talking a bit too much about Alonso but probably many journalists are asking questions about that and he may be too polite to say 'va fan culo' to them.

'Mundo Deportivo' is a newspaper from Catalonia and now hundreds if not thousands of pages have linked that piece of news. I think that's what they wanted to get, there are more than 2000 comments already and I saw many wasn't written in Spanish.

The intra team fights are a lot of fun, we are in for a treat this year. Problems usually arise when two drivers are very equally matched, so bearing that in mind I think the Massa/Alonso battle will be the most interesting. However, I think Massa is perhaps not smart enough to play the game as well as Alonso so we'll get plenty of juicy and possibly idiotic comments coming from him; Alonso's challenge is to maintain his silence. That way, he won't alienate anyone at Ferrari by kicking back at Massa.

At Mclaren, I think Button will play the game much better, and also it probably won't be as bigger issue as my instinct is that those two drivers won't be as close on track as Massa/Alonso.

As for Schumi/Rosberg, this is the biggest unknown for me as it's difficult to know if Michael will still have his magic, and we also don't really know how fast Rosberg is. Although, I can't really see Rosberg slating Schumacher in the press, he seems smarter than that and will probably bide his time if he gets beaten easily. I can see Rosberg Snr probably making a lot of comments on Nico's behalf, though.

You forgot to mention Vettel/Webber and I think that will be close again. Most people would say Webber was undercooked for the first part of last year because of his leg injury, so he'll be stronger this year. I think Vettel will also be stronger too, I think he learned a lot last year and he certainly isn't getting any slower. Like last year, I don't see either of these drivers creating fireworks off track - they're both too intelligent and friendly.

The intra team fights are a lot of fun, we are in for a treat this year. Problems usually arise when two drivers are very equally matched, so bearing that in mind I think the Massa/Alonso battle will be the most interesting. However, I think Massa is perhaps not smart enough to play the game as well as Alonso so we'll get plenty of juicy and possibly idiotic comments coming from him; Alonso's challenge is to maintain his silence. That way, he won't alienate anyone at Ferrari by kicking back at Massa.

At Mclaren, I think Button will play the game much better, and also it probably won't be as bigger issue as my instinct is that those two drivers won't be as close on track as Massa/Alonso.

As for Schumi/Rosberg, this is the biggest unknown for me as it's difficult to know if Michael will still have his magic, and we also don't really know how fast Rosberg is. Although, I can't really see Rosberg slating Schumacher in the press, he seems smarter than that and will probably bide his time if he gets beaten easily. I can see Rosberg Snr probably making a lot of comments on Nico's behalf, though.

You forgot to mention Vettel/Webber and I think that will be close again. Most people would say Webber was undercooked for the first part of last year because of his leg injury, so he'll be stronger this year. I think Vettel will also be stronger too, I think he learned a lot last year and he certainly isn't getting any slower. Like last year, I don't see either of these drivers creating fireworks off track - they're both too intelligent and friendly.

Good assessment. Just as a clarification: by intra team fights I am not including the on track battles to see who is best. Those are, of course, much more central and will be discussed heavily on each of the race's threads. That is why I didn't include Vettel/Webber as both seemed to be a gentleman act all the way.

As for the article, I meant that it was more a case of Alonso playing games with Massa than the other way around. I agree that Massa didn't say anything wrong and we can't possibly know the circumstances in which he said these comments (was he being asked for the upteenth time about Alonso?). Alonso's oblivious manners, on the other hand, probably must have gotten into Felipe's nerves. In any case, that's the perfect strategy to deal with this stuff, if you really are superior. Had he done the same in 2007, he would be by now McLaren's best asset, and Lewis would be driving at Williams by now.

:thbup:

This thread will slowly grow too large to manage. Bring it.

I don't think so. Either will degenerate in yet another argument on 2007, or specific threads will be open, or somebody will utter the classic "Oh cut the crap already, I wanna see the real battle in the track, all this is just a soap opera" and everybody else will be too embarrassed to keep posting in here afterwards.

As I grow old, I feel we humans are way too predictable ;)

I don't think so. Either will degenerate in yet another argument on 2007, or specific threads will be open, or somebody will utter the classic "Oh cut the crap already, I wanna see the real battle in the track, all this is just a soap opera" and everybody else will be too embarrassed to keep posting in here afterwards.

As I grow old, I feel we humans are way too predictable ;)

I am just waiting for Alehop to start.....:P

Oops...my subconscious :lol:

But I don't think this started at Ferrari first. I already mentioned the "number 3" row at MGP. But if you mean that the most noticeable lashes will be performed at Ferrari then I must agree. That is, unless JB beats Hammy :P

You are right but in my mind that so highly un likely that I didn't take it into consideration but if for some out of this world reason that comes to happen then yes, it will start first at Mclaren. I don't know why I ahve the feeling that I am going to enjoy this season a lot. :naughty:

It's always the "home" press that starts the trouble........we don't even know if there is any animosity between ferni and felipe but they always try to eke out some little misunderstanding and sensationalize it......if you guys remember the feud in 07 was 80% media generated and 20% mclaren shooting their own feet.Effin idiots.... :thbdn:

BTW by "home press" i mean not only all the spanish bull but england"s dastardlies as well....same goes to any d#cks violating the true principles of journalism...just report it yipee ka yayee......don't interpret it....

Terribly sorry for the rude behaviour by the way. :unsure:

Good assessment. Just as a clarification: by intra team fights I am not including the on track battles to see who is best.

I got you. You mean the btchy stunts and prima donna parades.

Well, well.

Some of the drivers are loud idiots by simple normal/Gaussian distribution (iow, the bell curve).

But, as someone said, it's the media who will do the ugly deed. And, bless their souls, the bloggers that inhabit the interweb will do an even worse deed. So I'm counting more on these "reporters" to misconstrue and fantasize (see 2007, for instance) than on the drivers themselves... save Hamilton's and his tennis dad... just have Button race ahead of the kid early on and there will be screams up and down the pitlane GP after GP.

All other pairings should be able to hold on to their gonads regardless. If Schumacher or Alonso lose up they will just wear their dog faces... the rest can cross-dress for FIA's press room and no one would give a sht.

I got you. You mean the btchy stunts and prima donna parades.

Well, well.

Some of the drivers are loud idiots by simple normal/Gaussian distribution (iow, the bell curve).

But, as someone said, it's the media who will do the ugly deed. And, bless their souls, the bloggers that inhabit the interweb will do an even worse deed. So I'm counting more on these "reporters" to misconstrue and fantasize (see 2007, for instance) than on the drivers themselves... save Hamilton's and his tennis dad... just have Button race ahead of the kid early on and there will be screams up and down the pitlane GP after GP.

All other pairings should be able to hold on to their gonads regardless. If Schumacher or Alonso lose up they will just wear their dog faces... the rest can cross-dress for FIA's press room and no one would give a sht.

Yup, journos play their part. But if a driver gets entangled in that mess, then it is his fault as well. No matter how many distorted news Randolph Hearst gave about the Maine, war wouldn't gave started unless the countries involved were willing to play the game in the first place.

BTW, Fay's excellent essay on World War I includes the press among the main causes of WWI. The power of the pen is mighty indeed.

Actually, I don't see what Massa has said wrong. Schumi is the best there was & is. And about Massa wanting to push hard 'cos he doesn't want to be #2 again, what's wrong? Stupid Spanish press doesn't want their China hero to be challenged.

:lol:

You're not wrong mate.

I didn't see anything wrong from Massa this time. He's talking a bit too much about Alonso but probably many journalists are asking questions about that and he may be too polite to say 'va fan culo' to them.

Hmm will have to look that one up, unless it's go fcuk yourself. And you don't really live in Stevenage? Isn't that where my man Lewis lived?

That is why I didn't include Vettel/Webber as both seemed to be a gentleman act all the way.

And like Rubens, they will suffer for it. I for one am looking forward to the ruthless aggression of the better drivers on the grid. :P (That said, Vettel might yet turn out to be reasonably successful aka selfish.)

I am just waiting for Alehop to start.....:P

Yes that's his favorite topic he is just waiting for a little push to start. :P

:lol:

Yeah.

I guess people like us - petrolheads - will talk about 07 for years to come. I mean its different having dog-fighting between drivers, but dog-fighting between team mates is something else.

Now I love Schumacher, and watching the domination by him was awesome. But sometimes I really wanted Rubens to turn around and say 'f*ck this' and just go for the jugular.

I'm going to contradict myself too and say what is wrong with just all out racing as in the days of Clark, Hill and Stewart? Gentleman racers still ruthless enough to take what is theirs.

Maybe its a woman thing. You men are right, we think too much.

Logic says who cares? Just fight however which way. Lets enjoy the scrap.

Andres, i know what this thread is actually about, I see beyond the wolf's skin, eh, so to say. You are afraid of the recurrence of Alonso 2007 blowup. All Alonso's fans should be afraid, he made a real fool of himself. Pray he competes with Massa, as I have a feeling we all will be entertained very soon :P

Andres, i know what this thread is actually about, I see beyond the wolf's skin, eh, so to say. You are afraid of the recurrence of Alonso 2007 blowup. All Alonso's fans should be afraid, he made a real fool of himself. Pray he competes with Massa, as I have a feeling we all will be entertained very soon :P

:lol: Yeah let's hope he won't screw it this time, this is going to be a memorable season regarding the quality of the drivers: Schumi, Button, Lewis, Webber, Vettel, Alonso, Massa, Kobayashi, Liuzzi...geez, there are great drivers for every taste.

BTW, where is that guy you used to support? :whistling: