Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Late Race Starts See F1 Tv Viewing Figures Crash

Late race starts see F1 TV viewing figures crash

14/02/2010

2009abudhabigp400.jpgWe've heard of shooting oneself in the foot but this is ridiculous. A report written by Pitpass' business editor Chris Sylt in the Mail on Sunday reveals that F1 lost 80 million viewers last year as a result of later race start times. The news comes directly from Formula One Management's annual F1 global broadcast report which reveals that F1's viewing figures slumped 13% to 520 million in 2009 and the decrease could put a big dent in the revenues of the rights-holder.

The 2008 Grand Prix on the streets of Singapore was the first night race in the sport's history and the timing was deliberately chosen so that it could be broadcast in the morning in Europe instead of being shown during the middle of the night. This trend accelerated last year with the Australian GP starting later and the new race in Abu Dhabi beginning at twilight and ending under floodlights.

A consequence of the later local start times was that these races were broadcast in the evening in Asia which, according to the F1 global broadcast report, "meant that Formula One was broadcast in direct competition with domestic sports such as the Chinese Football Association Super League."

pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news

It's not due to just the start times that Formula One lost 80 Million viewers in 2009. We all know some of the reasons why, and the sport has to work even harder on it's image to the casual sports viewing audience in 2010 more than any other season. The return of a certain former world champion, along with a potential four way teams (Maybe more) battle for the championship may just well do the trick. Here's hoping anyway.

Yeah the Mail on Sunday is a rubbish paper. The whole issue is complicated. Personally I never minded getting up early though. I hope they keep some races at the traditional times. Japan was always a favourite of mine because it's on just before breakfast on Sunday here. Australia was always in the middle of the night but that was quite cool too.

PS Welcome back, Herr/Mr DOF-san.

:lol: It's always endearing to watch these morons underestimate Asian/African countries only to later learn how much they depend on them.

Idiots.

What People want to watch are the best racing drivers in the best F1 teams fighting for the World Championship up to the last corner. They can change race starts to whatever time they want, if they want high tv viewing figures they should look for the problem somewhere else. Last year there was an obvious reason for the audience to fall.

I like F1 a lot and because of that I don't mind waking up at 2:00am to watch a race like China or staying wake unitl 1:am to watch Japan's or until 12:00am for Australia o even waking up at early sunday the watch any Europe race, the most confortable races for me are/were USA, Canada and Brazil but for some reason I didn't like those "confortables" times the best ones for me are those at 8:00am in the morning because I can dedicate the rest of the day to something else like going to church or going out with the family, I think the ideal situation would be to have all the races at the same time but that is just impossible because this is a world sport and having a down race in some countries would affect the local audience, I agree with those who said that F1 should improve the show not the timing.

A consequence of the later local start times was that these races were broadcast in the evening in Asia which, according to the F1 global broadcast report, "meant that Formula One was broadcast in direct competition with domestic sports such as the Chinese Football Association Super League."

Gosh I just hate it when Formula 1 and Chinese Football League clash on TV! :rolleyes:

Gosh I just hate it when Formula 1 and Chinese Football League clash on TV! :rolleyes:

yeah, thats the same I posted in the Total Chinese Football League Forum... a complete drag.

:lol:

I simply love being a twat and getting up in the middle of the night for my F1. I have said many times, each race should be held at the same time, local time. Pandering to other nations for any reason is pompous nonsense.

I simply love being a twat and getting up in the middle of the night for my F1. I have said many times, each race should be held at the same time, local time. Pandering to other nations for any reason is pompous nonsense.

Yeah! I've said it one too many times already, but Australia is meant to be seen at 4-5am XD It doesn't feel right otherwise >.<

Being an aussie viewer, I've gotten used to always having to watch races no earlier then about 11.30pm. And I actually like that. Like Schumikonnen, I'd prefer to have may days and arvos free to do other things, and then when everyones off to bed, I get a bit of 'me' time to watch F1. Those who are interested enough will watch regardless of the time its being televised (for the most part). So I guess I'm just agreeing with Nathan. And Freakazoid when he said F1 should improve the show not the timing.

I heard ATP, PGA, FIFA, FIBA, IOC... are having a meeting with Bernie to ask him what time better suits Tamara Ecclestone way of life.

I basically agree with most people's opinion on this, i.e. fix the 'product' before you fix the timing. Messing about with the timing isn't going to change the fan base as much as improving the actual show/racing.

Again it comes down to business not sport; Bernie trying to please these 'floating' fans by putting it on at favourable times - it's a quick and easy fix to gain a few extra viewers I suppose. Much easier than sorting out all the other issues the sport has.

For me, I chose to follow a sport as exclusive as F1. Every person registered to this forum is the same as I. We dedicate ourselves to our addiction so to speak. Getting up at 1am to watch the build-up to the race is a pleasure. The feeling of tiredness leaves you as heart-stopping excitement takes over when you watch the formation lap followed by the start of the race. It matters not that you have to be in work the next day or school, or even do the household chores. None of that applies when you're getting out of bed to follow the sport you love. I set my alarm half hour before the build up to build myself up to it. There's no other feeling in the world quite like it.

So, whatever time F1 starts, I'll be there - I'll prepare myself for the same feeling in 19 days. My sport is back and the exclusive F1 fans club shall be awake once more.

I agree. I don't care what time it's on, I'll be up to watch it. For me, there's only about 4 races that on on early in the morning (well, earlier than I'd get up on most Sundays anyway!) being Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain and China. But seeing the cars on the grid before they go away on their parade lap and the excitement that triggers at that moment is well worth the bleary eyes.

Being an aussie viewer, I've gotten used to always having to watch races no earlier then about 11.30pm. And I actually like that. Like Schumikonnen, I'd prefer to have may days and arvos free to do other things, and then when everyones off to bed, I get a bit of 'me' time to watch F1. Those who are interested enough will watch regardless of the time its being televised (for the most part). So I guess I'm just agreeing with Nathan. And Freakazoid when he said F1 should improve the show not the timing.

Spot on Jez :thbup:

For me, I chose to follow a sport as exclusive as F1. Every person registered to this forum is the same as I. We dedicate ourselves to our addiction so to speak. Getting up at 1am to watch the build-up to the race is a pleasure. The feeling of tiredness leaves you as heart-stopping excitement takes over when you watch the formation lap followed by the start of the race. It matters not that you have to be in work the next day or school, or even do the household chores. None of that applies when you're getting out of bed to follow the sport you love. I set my alarm half hour before the build up to build myself up to it. There's no other feeling in the world quite like it.

So, whatever time F1 starts, I'll be there - I'll prepare myself for the same feeling in 19 days. My sport is back and the exclusive F1 fans club shall be awake once more.

Yet another great post, lovely stuff :clap3: