Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Can You Believe This Guy?

You read his blog and I don't so perhaps you know better. But my impression was that James Allen wasn't that unfair to Alonso, at least I got that impression in 2008. Can't remember 2007 - must have blocked out that painful memory. I seem to remember him and Brundle saying Alonso was (at least 'arguably') the best driver on ITV.

Edit: I mean they said it on ITV, not that they were talking about whether Alonso was a better driver than Brundle and Allen...

Your memory must have blocked the groupie-like yells Allen used to gave every time Lewis was shown on the TV monitors, then :P

Seriously, he mentions in his blog that he always respected Alonso so you are right.

Anyways, JA himslef has mentioned that his respect for Alonso has grown immensely during the last year.

As for his blog, is very refreshing his views are usually, if not too informative or filled with groundbreaking news, at least very warm, and sound really sincere. They always make good food fot thought. He does not sound like a d#ckhead and certainly is miles above what I have come to expect when listening to his TV commentaries. Definitely one of my favorite sources for balanced and meaningful information in a simple, understandable way (for ignoramus like myself, it is perfect)

Yep, it's a good blog. He makes a much better journalist/blogger than commentator, I wonder if he realises it though.

This sport hardly ever had a sense of ethics.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying was the motto, like many other motorsport series.

This is true. But just because the sport is occasionally bent ethics-wise is no excuse for us fans to be.

There was a time, long forgotten it would seem, when sport was about taking part, and winning by being the best was the reward for that.

It seems to me that people like Alonso, and Schumacher, and we ought not to forget Prost and Senna decided it could involve cheating in one form or another.

These people should not be given any glimpse of respect by right-thinking people.

I find it difficult to respect anyone who has cheated in order to win, even if their achievements are applauded by those who think that the statistics are what is important.

In my eyes for someone to achieve hero status in sport they have to be someone who has true grit, honesty, ability, skill, and who displays generosity, plus all round honourable behaviour in all their actions.

Beautiful post. I wish there were 20 of you. Welcome to this cozy little hovel on the internets.

Well not every driver can be as innocent as pure as one Kimi Raikkonen. They have something called a "personality". Funny little creature.

It's very very common for persons whom English is not their first language, to come across as bland and sometimes boring. I've seen it many times. It's not that the person is actually bland, boring or lacking in personality, rather their grasp of the language and being able to convey emotion isn't as good as their first language. On the contrary, I have read and heard Kimi is actually a total blast to be with outside of F1. If you choose to believe he is the exact person who answers those very dull questions the F1 journos ask him, then keep on believing!

Oh, so they are blaming a lack of understanding of the English language for being boring now....hmm, what next?

I'll pose the answer this way: Kimi is friends with Vettel. Now, Vettel is a nice kid who spends his days with his eyes sparkling over racing cars and a big smile on his face... if he's friends with Kimi I assume he has to have a bit of a personality deep down, and well... away from the cameras XD

Just my opinion, mind you, you can keep it up...

It's very very common for persons whom English is not their first language, to come across as bland and sometimes boring.

That's not true I find Andres' posts very stimulating....

no let me rephrase that... :)

Sorry don't agree re Kimi blaming it on language is about as accurate as saying that his choice of breakfast cereal influences his personality. Fact of the matter is that Kimi is naturally a very serious, deadpan sort of person. I'm sure to all his mates he is the life and soul, but in F1 he was not. Contrast that to Hakkinnen, his countryman who had similar language issues and has a very different personality.

But no one will ever dispute you that Hakkinen >>>> Kimi XD

Ok, maybe someone will... but not me XD

Kimi had the occasional flash of personality. The gorilla suit. The I need a sh1t comment. He's probably a bundle of fun in private. But his robotic way of dealing with the press irritates me.

I'll pose the answer this way: Kimi is friends with Vettel. Now, Vettel is a nice kid who spends his days with his eyes sparkling over racing cars and a big smile on his face... if he's friends with Kimi I assume he has to have a bit of a personality deep down, and well... away from the cameras XD

Just my opinion, mind you, you can keep it up...

Hmm, I hear Vettel's native language isn't English either, but he still comes across as having a personality. Mind you, he did say he wanted to be British, so that explains things. :P

Hmm, I hear Vettel's native language isn't English either, but he still comes across as having a personality. Mind you, he did say he wanted to be British, so that explains things. tongue.gif

And he did say he wanted to be a lady too. rolleyes.gif

It's very very common for persons whom English is not their first language, to come across as bland and sometimes boring.

Rubbish. Most people I know are non native english speakers, none of them are as completely devoid of human qualities as Kimi-bot.

I agree with Cav but I'll add some observations of Kimi. He seems to open up when he's not expected to talk in an 'official' capacity as a team's driver. Judging by his comments I'd guess that the guy is very blue and crude with humour and he knows it....so instead of causing the team any embarrassments he just spews boring-ese.

Okay, I'll bite! You guys earned it.

Amazingly, some people still misunderstand Kimi completely - it's sort of similar to the devil convincing the world he didn't exist.

Kimi convinced everybody in F1 that he was dull, with no personality, and all he had to do was give a bunch of boring interviews. That way, people are more likely to leave him alone, as he doesn't like talking to the press and never needed to be centre of attention in F1 (hi Lewis, Fernando!). It's a pretty simple defence technique and it's obviously still got a lot of people fooled. People shouldn't mistake Kimi the sportsman (who probably doesn't want to be anybody's hero), with Kimi the person. Two different things, difficult to grasp I know :P

Anyway, as we know there are plenty of examples of Kimi the person's adventures and various misdeeds which the press have got hold of, other than that I always remember Matin Brundle saying "when you go out with him he never stops talking" - and MB never lies, ever.

Let's not mince words, he's just a tad thick.

He might be thick but he still achieved quite a bit. Some might argue that it's better to be an unintelligent but high achieving person in life, who lives exactly how they want, than an intelligent person who wastes their brain cells on attacking people more successful than them on an internet forum :whistling:

He might be thick but he still achieved quite a bit. Some might argue that it's better to be an unintelligent but high achieving person in life, who lives exactly how they want, than an intelligent person who wastes their brain cells on attacking people more successful than them on an internet forum whistling.gif

laugh.gifwhistling.gif

:lol:

I don't see the connection... now where did I park my car, you know, it's the pink one with the frilly lace seats and stabilisers in case I fall off.

I agree with Cav but I'll add some observations of Kimi. He seems to open up when he's not expected to talk in an 'official' capacity as a team's driver. Judging by his comments I'd guess that the guy is very blue and crude with humour and he knows it....so instead of causing the team any embarrassments he just spews boring-ese.

I think his boring persona is itself a crude joke. He's sticking a finger up to the establishment. He's probably a fun, if maybe selfish, guy in private.

Let's not mince words, he's just a tad thick.

He might be thick but he still achieved quite a bit. Some might argue that it's better to be an unintelligent but high achieving person in life, who lives exactly how they want, than an intelligent person who wastes their brain cells on attacking people more successful than them on an internet forum :whistling:

:roll_eyes:

Idiot.

Sutil will be pleased! :P

Okay, I'll bite! You guys earned it.

Amazingly, some people still misunderstand Kimi completely - it's sort of similar to the devil convincing the world he didn't exist.

Kimi convinced everybody in F1 that he was dull, with no personality, and all he had to do was give a bunch of boring interviews. That way, people are more likely to leave him alone, as he doesn't like talking to the press and never needed to be centre of attention in F1 (hi Lewis, Fernando!). It's a pretty simple defence technique and it's obviously still got a lot of people fooled. People shouldn't mistake Kimi the sportsman (who probably doesn't want to be anybody's hero), with Kimi the person. Two different things, difficult to grasp I know :P

Anyway, as we know there are plenty of examples of Kimi the person's adventures and various misdeeds which the press have got hold of, other than that I always remember Matin Brundle saying "when you go out with him he never stops talking" - and MB never lies, ever.

Well, I am glad I am not only one who really liked Kimi's personality. Used to make me chuckle listening to most of his press conferences. As far as I am concerned most drivers spew out the usual corporate bollocks, Kimi was just different.

I think he has a very dry sense of humour, which is possibly a bit of a Finnish trait, as a few of their sportsmen have exhibited it. I quite like that deadpan sense of humour. In fact I would even go so far as to say that anyone who didn't get it was a sandwich short of a picnic :whistling::lol:

Well, I am glad I am not only one who really liked Kimi's personality. Used to make me chuckle listening to most of his press conferences. As far as I am concerned most drivers spew out the usual corporate bollocks, Kimi was just different.

I think he has a very dry sense of humour, which is possibly a bit of a Finnish trait, as a few of their sportsmen have exhibited it. I quite like that deadpan sense of humour. In fact I would even go so far as to say that anyone who didn't get it was a sandwich short of a picnic :whistling::lol:

Aye :lol: