Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Jv To The Kimi. Oh Yeah!

One thing tech cheating carried out by the team, and the other is driver´s cheating like MSC hitting JV or DHill. You couldn´t blame a driver is the team give him a cheating car, but surely you can blame MSC for Estoril 1997.

But MS was penalized, while Prost and Senna weren't, neither was Alan Jones.

Exactly, you can't. So he sucks. See what I did there?

You realize that without the benefit of looking at past achievements, Merc's hiring of a 41 year old with neck problems looks foolish.....

You realize that without the benefit of looking at past achievements, Merc's hiring of a 41 year old with neck problems looks foolish.....

Ok, that was too funny. :D

Ah, yes, I see what you did there. But are we seriously suggesting that Jacques' past achievements are on such a similar level that he is to be taken serious? Especially in light of his previous failed attempt at a come back with Renault.

Excellent :lol:

Jacques is Sh#t but was good, Schumi was great and probably still is, Kimi could have been great, Alonso is almost great and used to be a whining twat but now seems semi-reasonable. The end, I win, again. Now shaddap, this thread is boring and annoying in equal measure*.

*Apart from 'puma's post.

Jacques is Sh#t but was good, Schumi was great and probably still is, Kimi could have been great, Alonso is almost great and used to be a whining twat but now seems semi-reasonable. The end, I win, again. Now shaddap, this thread is boring and annoying in equal measure*.

*Apart from 'puma's post.

You go George!

Jacques is Sh#t but was good, Schumi was great and probably still is, Kimi could have been great, Alonso is almost...

Alonso and almost don't mix well together.

JV just happened to be in the right car at the right time. If relations between Damon Hill and Williams hadn't soured and he had the chance to defend his title in 97 JV would never have got a WDC. His subsequent career at BAR was stupendously boring. Oh, and his overalls don't fit.

As for Kimi, the only person who has made a Ferrari look slower in recent years is Badoer

JV must be one lucky chap to be the "only" driver in F1 history to be in the right car at the right time. Since we all know that's failsauce, you can add Button to that list as well. An argument could be made that even Hamilton should be on that list. Even Rosberg made a comment on how fortunate Hamilton was that he was up and running in race winning car so early in his career. There's many drivers who have been in the right place at the right time. Alonso's two WDCs... yep you could even argue he was in the right place at the right time as well. The past 2 years he was in Renault should attest to that fact quite clearly. Same team, same driver, horrid.

To put it bluntly, any person who continues to bring this up as a reason for why JV sucks is an idiot. Because you fail to see how this has occurred continuously and in many forms of motor sport. JV didn't win the lottery, he was picked to drive for Williams based on his success in Indycar. Williams just happened to have the best car for those 2 years. His third year in Williams, well that was a travesty of epic proportions.

As far as his relationship with Damon, you neglect or maybe you just don't know, that JV was actually in the running to win the WDC in his FIRST year of being in F1. His relationship with Damon was inconsequential. They each had to race their own car and perform based on their skills and merit.

Ah, the good ole BAR argument. Every statement that can be made about JV with regards to the BAR years can be applied to Button as well. And look how that ended up. Pretty swell. If you remove the year Button drove for Brawn from the equation then apart from the fluked win in the rain, Buttons tenure for all his years on average looked no worse than JV's. Heck even Sato's time there doesn't look so bad in retrospect. The fact was for many years, the BAR/Honda cars were Sh#t. It wasn't until Brawn came on board that any giant leap forward was achieved.

And my man Kimi. It seems Alonso isn't the only person suffering from revisionist history. Do your homework. The clear and documented fact remains that Ferrari mechanics were astonished at the speed Kimi was able to get out of their dud of a car. This was a car that any development work was abandoned even before mid year. But by all means keep the blinders on and continue with the Badoer comparisons, it's actually quite amusing.

Dont recall Fisi being faster than Kimi at the end of last year....

Only when he was driving the curry special...

I, for one, would like to see him back.

In 2006.... especially if one considers the fact that Nick hadn't had any time away from F1 and JV did, I didn't think "Quick Nick" was having a better season than Jacques.

Good points shampion.

u believe Mateschitz?

At face value maybe you could believe it, but F1 is never that straightforward.

Hahahaha! Gold. That should shut the Raikkonen fans up for a bit. And yes, funnily enough Brad, I do believe Mateschitz seeing as he's the OWNER OF THE TEAM.

There was a denial from Mateschitz, but to me it came across as more of a non denial denial. Of course they won't get rid of Webber if he win's the WDC or does that well. But Mateschitz didn't state he was not going to hire Kimi, nor did he state he was going to. He simply said that he doesn't know what Kimi want's to do next year. Rather than scupper the notion Kimi will be in RBR come 2011, it simply came across that right now, Kimi's focusing on WDC, and if he then decides he wants a crack at F1 again, we're in the box seat to nab his services since we already have a very good working relationship with him. Really that comes across more that they want him if he wants to race in F1 again.

There was a denial from Mateschitz, but to me it came across as more of a non denial denial. Of course they won't get rid of Webber if he win's the WDC or does that well. But Mateschitz didn't state he was not going to hire Kimi, nor did he state he was going to. He simply said that he doesn't know what Kimi want's to do next year. Rather than scupper the notion Kimi will be in RBR come 2011, it simply came across that right now, Kimi's focusing on WDC, and if he then decides he wants a crack at F1 again, we're in the box seat to nab his services since we already have a very good working relationship with him. Really that comes across more that they want him if he wants to race in F1 again.

Oh, so you want him to say "Will will not not be hiring Kimi"? :P. I don't think Kimi will be coming back to F1 at all personally.

You go George!

I thought he was Eric's other dupe account, along with Pucky the Whale! I guess the KFC location fooled me :P !

Matesh1tz isn't going to play on the Kimi to RB thing too much with Webbo about to start the season, he should hopefully see that as not the best way to motivate his drivers - at least at this stage of the championship ie. it's not started.

Kimi and his rallying is just time to re-charge his batteries and have a play, imo he won't have the patience to stick at it long enough to be a serious contender (and there's great talent on the way up that he'll need to contend with in the next few years too), and returning to F1 is an absolute certainty.

Btw, I don't think any of this because I'm a Kimi fan (I'm not) - I'd use him as a prime example of a good talent that got some good rides, but his head went down too often ('bit like some of the Button bashers say about JB....).

JV must be one lucky chap to be the "only" driver in F1 history to be in the right car at the right time. Since we all know that's failsauce, you can add Button to that list as well.

Ah, the good ole BAR argument. Every statement that can be made about JV with regards to the BAR years can be applied to Button as well. And look how that ended up. Pretty swell. If you remove the year Button drove for Brawn from the equation then apart from the fluked win in the rain, Buttons tenure for all his years on average looked no worse than JV's. Heck even Sato's time there doesn't look so bad in retrospect. The fact was for many years, the BAR/Honda cars were Sh#t. It wasn't until Brawn came on board that any giant leap forward was achieved.

I fail to see how Button apparently lucked in at Brawn. He was already at a team that he'd had trials and tribulations with. He'd had the Sh#t car and stuck with it. He worked hard alongside the team to try to keep them motivated even when he himself was not. I'll agree, Ross Brawn turned that around but right place right time? Not a chance in the fiery sulphuric pits of hell if you are a religious man. I couldn't think of a more deserved champ than JB.

As for his supposedly lucky race win, you get out in a car from 14th and be the first past the chequered flag. Half the field couldn't even keep their cars on track. So not lucky, just talent.

I fail to see how Button apparently lucked in at Brawn. He was already at a team that he'd had trials and tribulations with. He'd had the Sh#t car and stuck with it. He worked hard alongside the team to try to keep them motivated even when he himself was not. I'll agree, Ross Brawn turned that around but right place right time? Not a chance in the fiery sulphuric pits of hell if you are a religious man. I couldn't think of a more deserved champ than JB.

As for his supposedly lucky race win, you get out in a car from 14th and be the first past the chequered flag. Half the field couldn't even keep their cars on track. So not lucky, just talent.

It's a fair comment to say that had JV been at BAR all this time, and in a Brawn, he would have scored some race wins as well. Heck Rubens did it, so no reason why JV couldn't have also.

I think we are both right. Yes Button deserved his WDC, but when you take his history with the team into consideration, it was a pure fluke of good proportions. Even down to Brawn using Merc powerplants. If you can't see that it was pure luck that this occured then we'll have to agree to disagree. There's not a single person here or anywhere else for that matter who had any faith Brawn was going to do anything significant. In fact that's the ONLY reason McLaren agreed to let them use Merc engines, as they too were convinced the team would trundle around ala Minardi or whoever drags their asses at the back of the field. Button lucked out, but in a good way. Did he deserve it? Sure he did. But don't confuse him deserving it, for them meaning it wasn't a fluke and some of the best damned luck around. How this has to do with JV anyway is irrelevant. Without Brawn, Button would have never gotten anywhere with BAR/Honda etc. And for that matter neither would have JV. The problem being the car and vision of the team was crap from the get go.

Yes I do consider JB's win in the wet to be down to luck. Had it not rained, he wouldn't have won. Had everyone else not crashed out, he wouldn't have won. He certainly had alot of skill, but a perfect case of being in the right place at the right time was the key.

Matesh1tz isn't going to play on the Kimi to RB thing too much with Webbo about to start the season, he should hopefully see that as not the best way to motivate his drivers - at least at this stage of the championship ie. it's not started.

Kimi and his rallying is just time to re-charge his batteries and have a play, imo he won't have the patience to stick at it long enough to be a serious contender (and there's great talent on the way up that he'll need to contend with in the next few years too), and returning to F1 is an absolute certainty.

Btw, I don't think any of this because I'm a Kimi fan (I'm not) - I'd use him as a prime example of a good talent that got some good rides, but his head went down too often ('bit like some of the Button bashers say about JB....).

All great points. It would be folly for Matesh1tz to say anything at this point. Why demotivate one of your drivers when the season hasn't even begun.

I too think Kimi's rallying will be a time for him to recharge and have a bit of fun. If he does well and can see longevity, he'll continue. If the learning curve to being up there to win races and a Champtionship is too high a mark to attain, he might come back to F1. Of course I hope he'll return to F1 in the future. He's still got more racing left in him, and who doesn't want to see him race at Spa or be the Kimi of old in the 2005 McLaren.

It's a fair comment to say that had JV been at BAR all this time, and in a Brawn, he would have scored some race wins as well. Heck Rubens did it, so no reason why JV couldn't have also.

I think we are both right. Yes Button deserved his WDC, but when you take his history with the team into consideration, it was a pure fluke of good proportions. Even down to Brawn using Merc powerplants. If you can't see that it was pure luck that this occured then we'll have to agree to disagree. There's not a single person here or anywhere else for that matter who had any faith Brawn was going to do anything significant. In fact that's the ONLY reason McLaren agreed to let them use Merc engines, as they too were convinced the team would trundle around ala Minardi or whoever drags their asses at the back of the field. Button lucked out, but in a good way. Did he deserve it? Sure he did. But don't confuse him deserving it, for them meaning it wasn't a fluke and some of the best damned luck around. How this has to do with JV anyway is irrelevant. Without Brawn, Button would have never gotten anywhere with BAR/Honda etc. And for that matter neither would have JV. The problem being the car and vision of the team was crap from the get go.

Yes I do consider JB's win in the wet to be down to luck. Had it not rained, he wouldn't have won. Had everyone else not crashed out, he wouldn't have won. He certainly had alot of skill, but a perfect case of being in the right place at the right time was the key.

Fair comments. I still think right place right time doesn't apply, but reading your post through is perhaps the first time I have read constructive criticism for Jens. So, thank you for your intelligence.

Thus I understand why you say it annoys you when no real apparent reason is given on why some people think JV sucks.

Cheers KM.

Ah, yes, I see what you did there. But are we seriously suggesting that Jacques' past achievements are on such a similar level that he is to be taken serious? Especially in light of his previous failed attempt at a come back with Renault.

You set the bar too high. No driver will be on a 'similar level' to Mikey and you well know it. So, what do we do with all the drivers that can't measure up to Mikey? If we chucked them all there would be a grid of one. You also realize that not too long ago, Button looked pretty sh!tty in a Renault...er..Bennetoon...er...same thing, really. The car does matter; some suit a driver and some don't. Now, are you suggesting that JV has no worth whatsoever? I know JV and Mikey fans are at odds with each other, but, really, when you say he shouldn't be taken seriously you're just being over the top. Of course he has worth.

What you're asking is what can JV bring to a team to justify his return? A fighting spirit with a 'never give up' attitude and a very good ability to develop a car. Both will serve a new team well. Aside from that, he's the last of the old-time racers. He speaks his mind. He brake-checks his rivals. He plays mind games. He is the only driver who was literally raised in F1. My favorite picture of him was when he was 8 or so and he's sitting at the wheel of his father's Ferrari. When you an I were throwing dirt at our friends in a school sandbox, Jacques was smelling petrol, hot asphalt and hearing the roar of a Ferrari V12. He was watching the greats of F1 walk tall and he learned from that. It's a part of him and he's the only driver on the grid who can claim Formula 1 as his home. Not even Mikey, with all his titles and records, has that.

Having Jacques on the grid is a reminder of what a real Formula 1 racer should be like. He's not sanitized or refined; he's a vivid reminder of what we've lost in F1. If everyone was a fan of a driver just by the records that driver has racked up, then we'd all be Mikey fans. But we're not. What worth does JV have? He's worth 12 Pedro de la Rosas, 6 Adrian Sutils, 5 Jarno Trullis and 2 Nico Rosbergs. What will he impart to a new team and the grid as a whole? Formula 1, 1980. And that, my friend, has worth.

You set the bar too high. No driver will be on a 'similar level' to Mikey and you well know it. So, what do we do with all the drivers that can't measure up to Mikey? If we chucked them all there would be a grid of one. You also realize that not too long ago, Button looked pretty sh!tty in a Renault...er..Bennetoon...er...same thing, really. The car does matter; some suit a driver and some don't. Now, are you suggesting that JV has no worth whatsoever? I know JV and Mikey fans are at odds with each other, but, really, when you say he shouldn't be taken seriously you're just being over the top. Of course he has worth.

What you're asking is what can JV bring to a team to justify his return? A fighting spirit with a 'never give up' attitude and a very good ability to develop a car. Both will serve a new team well. Aside from that, he's the last of the old-time racers. He speaks his mind. He brake-checks his rivals. He plays mind games. He is the only driver who was literally raised in F1. My favorite picture of him was when he was 8 or so and he's sitting at the wheel of his father's Ferrari. When you an I were throwing dirt at our friends in a school sandbox, Jacques was smelling petrol, hot asphalt and hearing the roar of a Ferrari V12. He was watching the greats of F1 walk tall and he learned from that. It's a part of him and he's the only driver on the grid who can claim Formula 1 as his home. Not even Mikey, with all his titles and records, has that.

Having Jacques on the grid is a reminder of what a real Formula 1 racer should be like. He's not sanitized or refined; he's a vivid reminder of what we've lost in F1. If everyone was a fan of a driver just by the records that driver has racked up, then we'd all be Mikey fans. But we're not. What worth does JV have? He's worth 12 Pedro de la Rosas, 6 Adrian Sutils, 5 Jarno Trullis and 2 Nico Rosbergs. What will he impart to a new team and the grid as a whole? Formula 1, 1980. And that, my friend, has worth.

I admire the conviction you use to voice your opinions and how you explain with facts as to how you form them.

I don't "always" agree with you but your posts do always take the high road.

Well said Mike :thbup:

.... and I do agree with you on this one!

- He sings.

- He drove one of the most brilliant cars of all times, the FW18. And it was the last of a series of legendary cars designed by the best team of designers in F1 IMHO: Patrick Head and Adrian Newey working together. They managed to produce 4 different WDCs with their cars in 5 years? 6 years?: Mansell, Prost, Hill and Jacques.... And we never know what could have happened in 1994 if not for that fateful Tamburello corner...but I don't want to talk about that.

- Granted, he did drive brillianty in 1996 (and in 1995). But those cars drove circles around anything that would end second in the WCC. As much as I cheered for JV in those days, I couldn't deny the fact that he was basically racing against the clock, and not much more. Last year's Brawn? Pfft...poppyc#ck! It took the combined talents of Rory Byrne, Brawn, Todt and Schumacher to attain a similar level of technical excellence with a car. And IMHO, the Williams Renault was still vastly superior.

Sorry, I am not denying the fact that JV, jokes aside, is a more than able F1 driver with much better credentials than others which got better press. I am just adding some facts to put into real perspective that the guy was good (just like Kimi was), but nothing to watch in awe. If there is something as a "vanilla" WDC, then JV certainly seems like one of them.

*cough* Along with Button and Kimi... *cough* :what:

I give you that he will make a refreshing presence in the paddocks. But you still have Nando (and Webber and Rubinho and...geez...nobody else!) when you need a guy that speaks his mind, for better or worse ;)

- He sings.

- He drove one of the most brilliant cars of all times, the FW18. And it was the last of a series of legendary cars designed by the best team of designers in F1 IMHO: Patrick Head and Adrian Newey working together. They managed to produce 4 different WDCs with their cars in 5 years? 6 years?: Mansell, Prost, Hill and Jacques.... And we never know what could have happened in 1994 if not for that fateful Tamburello corner...but I don't want to talk about that.

- Granted, he did drive brillianty in 1996 (and in 1995). But those cars drove circles around anything that would end second in the WCC. As much as I cheered for JV in those days, I couldn't deny the fact that he was basically racing against the clock, and not much more. Last year's Brawn? Pfft...poppyc#ck! It took the combined talents of Rory Byrne, Brawn, Todt and Schumacher to attain a similar level of technical excellence with a car. And IMHO, the Williams Renault was still vastly superior.

Do you actually remember the '97 season? Too many people lately are buying into the supposed fact that the Williams was that much better of a car than the competition. Perhaps it was, in 1995, but by the time JV won the championship, the competitors had caught up. Go do some looking around at the race results of that time and you'll find that both Williams' were rarely more than a half second faster in the races they won. My memories of that year were of many cars getting close to the Williams. Sure, you have Patrick (d#ck)Head saying that JV made rough weather of the '97 season, but all you have to do is compare the gap JV and HIll had to the competition the previous year. Clearly, the competition caught up. Also consider that Mikey, in a slightly underperforming Ferrari was quite a bit faster than the superior Williams on occasion.

In the end no argument I could muster will change anyone's mind. You either like JV or you don't. I do, you don't. So it goes.

Do you actually remember the '97 season? Too many people lately are buying into the supposed fact that the Williams was that much better of a car than the competition. Perhaps it was, in 1995, but by the time JV won the championship, the competitors had caught up. Go do some looking around at the race results of that time and you'll find that both Williams' were rarely more than a half second faster in the races they won. My memories of that year were of many cars getting close to the Williams. Sure, you have Patrick (d#ck)Head saying that JV made rough weather of the '97 season, but all you have to do is compare the gap JV and HIll had to the competition the previous year. Clearly, the competition caught up. Also consider that Mikey, in a slightly underperforming Ferrari was quite a bit faster than the superior Williams on occasion.

In the end no argument I could muster will change anyone's mind. You either like JV or you don't. I do, you don't. So it goes.

Nah, I do like the guy. I am just no fan of him. I give him a 6 or 7 out of 10. Not that bad. I refuse to choose between a 10/10 or 0/10 for a driver, though (Alonso gets a 9/10...less if considering his not-so-pure ethics and his *ugh* Ferrari outfit). Except for Liuzzi, but he is....he does not belong to the mortal world.

Regarding the car, yes, the Ferraris were finally catching up, and they would become a legend by themselves after that (nothing lasts forever), just to prove how high were the standards set by the Williams. As for Patrick Head, he might be a d#ckhead but Newey/Head was still a wonderful team and very successful.

Like you said, it works both ways. You can say the 1997 Williams won mainly because of JV or that JV won because mainly of the Williams Renault. Of course, it took both a good car and a good driver. Last year's Brawn in the hands of Alex Yoong probably wouldn't have made it, diffuser or not.

My theory is that the Williams was still superior enough to give JV the edge. Considering that the Newey/Head cars were impressive since the first to the last, I think my theory is still between reasonable bounds.

You could have won me over until...

...... though (Alonso gets a 9/10...less if considering his not-so-pure ethics and his *ugh* Ferrari outfit). Except for Liuzzi, but he is....he does not belong to the mortal world.

So much for "reasonable bounds" :lol:

Yeah, but 97 doesn't really count. MS was DQ'ed. So he faced his punishment.

I _smile_ at the cheat accusations. Its funny because I don't see anyone criticising Senna or Prost, or even Nelson Sr. Three of the dirtiest drivers to grace any F1 track. Yet all talented and have God-like status.

That was when men were men and not boys fighting over the hair gel though.

I always was (and am) very critic of Senna´s ethics: far from an sportsman.

My theory is that the Williams was still superior enough to give JV the edge. Considering that the Newey/Head cars were impressive since the first to the last, I think my theory is still between reasonable bounds.

Is hard to consider anything becoming from you "razonable" but´s that why we love you!

By the way the WDCs won by MSC with Ferrari were due his inmense talent and driver´s skills far better than... Rubinho! Because the rest of the paddock was in another series ( with another rules too!)

Nah, I do like the guy. I am just no fan of him. I give him a 6 or 7 out of 10. Not that bad. I refuse to choose between a 10/10 or 0/10 for a driver, though (Alonso gets a 9/10...less if considering his not-so-pure ethics and his *ugh* Ferrari outfit). Except for Liuzzi, but he is....he does not belong to the mortal world.

Regarding the car, yes, the Ferraris were finally catching up, and they would become a legend by themselves after that (nothing lasts forever), just to prove how high were the standards set by the Williams. As for Patrick Head, he might be a d#ckhead but Newey/Head was still a wonderful team and very successful.

Like you said, it works both ways. You can say the 1997 Williams won mainly because of JV or that JV won because mainly of the Williams Renault. Of course, it took both a good car and a good driver. Last year's Brawn in the hands of Alex Yoong probably wouldn't have made it, diffuser or not.

I was just pointing out that by the time JV was sitting in the car, it was far from the super machine everyone likes to claim it was. JV is a scrapper and I tend to like those kinds of people. According to Jock Clear, Patrick Head was really behind Frentzen that year so JV had to fight that as well as Head's attempts to alter the car's suspension. Jock tells one story of Head's insistence that JV run a new suspension bit. The old bit worked better for JV so the two of them (JV and Clear) messed with the identification number on the old part to make it appear to be the new one. This shows you that in a typical season, an F1 driver faces more battles than those on-track....battles that he must win in order to battle on-track.

As to your story being within reasonable bounds....well, we all define 'reasonable' differently.