Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brambilla

Bruno Senna - F1 Talent Or Family Name Break ?

Hey all, I'm a refugee from the f1-Live boards, since ESPN took over, They havent brought any forums up, or maybe they did and I dont like the layout of the site :). I havent followed Bruno Senna in the GP2 Series, and I was wondering what his impact will be on F1, I know he's lost out too many years to be at an Alonso/Raikkonen/Vettel levell, but will he at least live up to a Webber/Heidfeld level (ie competent driver). I know we'll find something out in 2 days - or maybe not since this is essentially a shakedown for HRT, I'm really hoping Bruno wont prove to be completely out of his depth, that'd be sad. Any opinion on how he might pan out ?

I'd like to comment, but for me its just not logical enough as he hasn't even completed or started a race yet. Sorry dude. But welcome to the forums.

Based on lower Formula, I'd say it was mostly family name break. He's unproven in my eyes, he's a solid driver but nothing on the hype that surronds him because of his name. He didn't beat Pantano to the GP2 title, and using Pantano as the yardstick (a guy who has never done spectacularly well in anything other than GP2) I'm not sure he's the best candidate for a new team. They'd have been better off with someone experienced like Heidfeld or Fisichella.

But I don't know, it seems ever difficult to call how somebody will do just from their GP2 experiences. Look at Kobayashi. Everyone thought he'd be truly hopeless in F1 based on what he'd acchieved in GP2 (ie, not much) but now he's being called the "Next Japanese hope". Grosjean too. I remember one person calling him "the next Prost", but after less than half a year in F1, his career has died and he's disappeared off the face of the earth. People (including myself, I'll admit) have questioned the likes of Chandok and Petrov getting F1 seats when their GP2 records arn't exactly mouth-watering (unlike Hulkenberg's) but they may yet find their feet in F1.

Let's just see. I'm sceptical but willing to be proven wrong. Besides, he seems a nice enough kid.

He seemed decent in F3 and quick in GP2, but he's more likely to be solid than spectacular. Not beating Pantano says a lot; but that wasn't completely down to him if memory serves. Also, before we are too quick to judge, people should remember his lack of racing experience due to Ayrton's death (his family didn't want him racing) - what he has achieved with comparatively less experience than others is pretty impressive.

Will he survive in F1? It depends on a few things, how he is managed and how drivable the car is. He is in a good position, though, entering the sport with a seemingly uncompetitive team = less pressure. Personally, I doubt the Hormone Replacement Therapy team will last very long so Bruno has little time to impress.

Oh, and please, no criticisms he played on his name to get to the grid; any driver who doesn't use every asset he has to get a drive, isn't a true racing driver.

Oh, and please, no criticisms he played on his name to get to the grid; any driver who doesn't use every asset he has to get a drive, isn't a true racing driver.

Name break. Besides his real last name is Lalli!

JHS gets a pardon because he used this criticism before I posted. What is your defence?

I believe he is a great talent. He is inexperinced but so has every other champtionship his has been in and he is getting better in highter quality championships. I think F1 is perfect for him to get real xp and dare is say he is born for F1. I an not saying he got into F1 on pure skill alone but to start racing at 21 and to get into F1 at 27 is impresive.

Hey all, I'm a refugee from the f1-Live boards, since ESPN took over, They havent brought any forums up, or maybe they did and I dont like the layout of the site :). I havent followed Bruno Senna in the GP2 Series, and I was wondering what his impact will be on F1, I know he's lost out too many years to be at an Alonso/Raikkonen/Vettel levell, but will he at least live up to a Webber/Heidfeld level (ie competent driver). I know we'll find something out in 2 days - or maybe not since this is essentially a shakedown for HRT, I'm really hoping Bruno wont prove to be completely out of his depth, that'd be sad. Any opinion on how he might pan out ?

Don't be shy Bruno.....you can tell us your real name... :) No...not Sacha...I mean, Bruno Senna....

Just tell us how much did you pay HRT.... :) :) :) :) :)

Welcome! Pull up a chair and stay a while.

How will he do...I'll get back to you after Bahrain.

Based on lower Formula, I'd say it was mostly family name break. He's unproven in my eyes, he's a solid driver but nothing on the hype that surronds him because of his name. He didn't beat Pantano to the GP2 title, and using Pantano as the yardstick (a guy who has never done spectacularly well in anything other than GP2) I'm not sure he's the best candidate for a new team. They'd have been better off with someone experienced like Heidfeld or Fisichella.

But I don't know, it seems ever difficult to call how somebody will do just from their GP2 experiences. Look at Kobayashi. Everyone thought he'd be truly hopeless in F1 based on what he'd acchieved in GP2 (ie, not much) but now he's being called the "Next Japanese hope". Grosjean too. I remember one person calling him "the next Prost", but after less than half a year in F1, his career has died and he's disappeared off the face of the earth. People (including myself, I'll admit) have questioned the likes of Chandok and Petrov getting F1 seats when their GP2 records arn't exactly mouth-watering (unlike Hulkenberg's) but they may yet find their feet in F1.

Let's just see. I'm sceptical but willing to be proven wrong. Besides, he seems a nice enough kid.

Good thoughts here. I would add that Pantano is, much like Justin Wilson, undeservedly underrated. Perhaps it's my liking of driver that throws a car around, but I really enjoyed Pantano's car-sliding ways when he was in the Jordan...I would have liked to have see him stick around a bit longer.

Of the rookies, it seems clear that the Hulk will dominate, but I'm looking forward to being surprised.

GP2 is spec series and current spec-series are not a good way to realistically paint a picture as it could be a simple case of the spec suiting ones driving style/habits and/or some having more money to invest in setup test drivers.

If anything this spec-ing has blurred the picture in seeing if someone has the work ethic and adaptability needed for F1.

Possibly, DOF, but I spotted many a good racer while they were in GP2. Hamilton comes to mind. Counter-point, I suppose, would be Piquet Jr., but when you look close at his GP2 drives, they seemed barely-controlled mayhem. It's like any series, you need to understand the pecking order of the teams to properly judge the worth of the drivers.

Welcome to the forums!

Will be hard to know the real potential of this driver, because the "car" he will drive is a complete mistery (will the engine even start?) so...

Dont think will be an easy season for him... maybe he should wait a little more to have a better car to show his real performance.

greetings from mexico!!!

and ready to the race, tomorrow qualy at 5 am!

On track? Who knows? Outside the track he strikes me as a very mature, self centered guy. I like his personality, so far.

I wish him the best. I know his uncle would have wanted the same (and nothing less)

I really feel sorry for the guy after seeing today. It must be hard to keep your chin up when you are driving to the edge (and sometimes beyond) your limits, but whatever you do you're 12-13 seconds off the pace and being overtaken constantly. I'm amazed he's been see smiling (and Chandhok too) and laughing so much when the cameras are on him in the garage. What's the saying? "Things can only get better?"

+1 for optimism too saying that HRT could knock 5 seconds off that time pretty quickly. Hmm, I'm not so sure.

If I was Bruno, I'd be getting my agents to talk to some guys in bigger teams already about drives for 2011. I think this will be a very character building year for young Bruno. With luck, hopefully his funding and his name will help him secure a better seat in '11. Because let's be honest, HRT isn't exactly going to be the best place to show us what he can do.

If I was Bruno, I'd be getting my agents to talk to some guys in bigger teams already about drives for 2011. I think this will be a very character building year for young Bruno. With luck, hopefully his funding and his name will help him secure a better seat in '11. Because let's be honest, HRT isn't exactly going to be the best place to show us what he can do.

He just came in.....not everyone in F1 get chance like Hami......

As James Allen pointed out, Chandhok pointed out that Dallara builds GP2 cars. These cars have more power and downforce for starters than GP2 so they will probably catch up faster than you think.

Fair point, although if the rumours are true, he was believed to be in discussions with Renault when Campos's future looked shakey.

You're skirting blasphemy. A racing driver's success isn't just dependent on what happens inside the c#ckpit. Hamilton's road to McLaren wasn't paved with luck, but hard work that other drivers just didn't do. Lewis and his dad put in a lot of work, hard-earned money and sweat equity in karts to be in a position to approach Ron Dennis at a young age. They made ballsy introductions and Lewis (still just a kid) said to Ron's face that he wanted to drive for him one day. That sort of confidence and nerve is rare. But after that introduction, Hamilton had to prove his worth. He did so and that got him Ron's help. Lewis' continued talent and pure speed on the racetrack in every race he's been entered in got him into a McLaren.

Hamilton created his chances in life....I wonder if we can say the same for young Senna?

You're skirting blasphemy. A racing driver's success isn't just dependent on what happens inside the c#ckpit. Hamilton's road to McLaren wasn't paved with luck, but hard work that other drivers just didn't do. Lewis and his dad put in a lot of work, hard-earned money and sweat equity in karts to be in a position to approach Ron Dennis at a young age. They made ballsy introductions and Lewis (still just a kid) said to Ron's face that he wanted to drive for him one day. That sort of confidence and nerve is rare. But after that introduction, Hamilton had to prove his worth. He did so and that got him Ron's help. Lewis' continued talent and pure speed on the racetrack in every race he's been entered in got him into a McLaren.

Hamilton created his chances in life....I wonder if we can say the same for young Senna?

Yes, luck doesn't really come into it when it comes to Hamilton, which is why I never liked that particular criticism/observation (depending on perspective) that he got a good car so quickly. He did work for it and he did deliver and he did in fact deserve a good car from the start of his career.

Yes, luck doesn't really come into it when it comes to Hamilton, which is why I never liked that particular criticism/observation (depending on perspective) that he got a good car so quickly. He did work for it and he did deliver and he did in fact deserve a good car from the start of his career.

Hamilton's story so far is a brutal and refreshing reminder of how to succeed in life. Establish one clear goal and work your arse off to get it. That's not to exclude other driver's effort and talent, but in this life you gets what you pays for. Trade on focused hard work and you gets a McLaren drive. Trade on a family name and you get an HRT. With three wheels.

:D Don't whip me....

I have used all those words 1000 times when I argue with Alehop and Maure.... :P

I was just saying that, not everyone can get into a good car right from the start....for example, guys like Alonso too have worked really hard, and had to drive a Minardi for a start......

I don't belive Senna is in Lewis, Nando or Vettel League, like what his fans hype....if he is, then he has to prove it...

Hamilton's story so far is a brutal and refreshing reminder of how to succeed in life. Establish one clear goal and work your arse off to get it. That's not to exclude other driver's effort and talent, but in this life you gets what you pays for. Trade on focused hard work and you gets a McLaren drive. Trade on a family name and you get an HRT. With three wheels.

Fair enough...

:D Don't whip me....

You are forgiven. Take of the virgins and cheese by the altar and be pure.

I was just saying that, not everyone can get into a good car right from the start....for example, guys like Alonso too have worked really hard, and had to drive a Minardi for a start......

Alonso put in hard work, but so does a ditch-digger. It's the combination of a solid goal along with hard work that gets you places. Alonso never set a goal for himself like Lewis did. He never targeted a top F1 team and set about to make himself noticed by them. Alonso just raced hard and trusted that his talent would ensure he'd rise up in the junior formulas. Indeed, when he was in GP2 (F3000 back then) he didn't look all that impressive with the exception of a ballsy move at Eau Rouge. Lewis by contrast did look impressive, all season long. Alonso's performance in F3000 showed he was worth a Minardi drive. Lewis' performance showed he was worth a McLaren. Who worked harder?

Alonso perhaps had to work harder at Minardi to get noticed by the bigger teams and even then his move to Renault wasn't a move to a top team. His failure to plan ahead like Hamilton had done cost him many years of hard work in F1 to catch up.

Alonso put in hard work, but so does a ditch-digger. It's the combination of a solid goal along with hard work that gets you places. Alonso never set a goal for himself like Lewis did. He never targeted a top F1 team and set about to make himself noticed by them. Alonso just raced hard and trusted that his talent would ensure he'd rise up in the junior formulas. Indeed, when he was in GP2 (F3000 back then) he didn't look all that impressive with the exception of a ballsy move at Eau Rouge. Lewis by contrast did look impressive, all season long. Alonso's performance in F3000 showed he was worth a Minardi drive. Lewis' performance showed he was worth a McLaren. Who worked harder?

Alonso perhaps had to work harder at Minardi to get noticed by the bigger teams and even then his move to Renault wasn't a move to a top team. His failure to plan ahead like Hamilton had done cost him many years of hard work in F1 to catch up.

That's a Mt.Everest of bollocks! (well, you were expecting me to come back like this didn't you?) :P

Lewis the most hard working driver? It is all subjective. I can write another fairy tale based on the same facts: All he did was let Daddy Hamilton and Ron Dennis highly homosexual bond with him work his magic and he was set on a track, no wonder he had a target, it was put ahead for him with fairly many options inside the motor racing world, he was pampered from then onwards. Meanwhile, Alonso had to fight the whole world, and his own demons, being a shy suspicious kid. Yet his magic was so strong that he still has the rare merit of being one of the few which got noticed by so many legends at Minardi, a team that usually meant you were doomed, or set for a veeeery long career as a tester or whatever. But he got noticed immediately by Todt who offered him a ride, by Schumi, who immediately identified him as his biggest foe, and by Flavio, which might have been in a midfield Renault at the time, but was still one of the most cunning team principals out there...

..and that would be a Mt.Everest of bollocks as well. Truth is, no driver gets to F1 just by their sheer hard work. At least haven't been like that for the past 30 years. They all needed to bring money, sponsorships, were part of a personal project (a la Hamilton) or a mix that included the need to develop a new market for F1 (a la Alonso).

As for Bruno, he was away from racing due to family pressure since Ayrton's death until he was 21. From there he could have simply announced "hey, I am the Messiah, my Uncle told you about" and let the name work its magic. Yet he chose the hard way. He was approached by some big teams in the past just because of the sponsorship his name would bring and he said he wasn't ready.

Is he good? No idea. Did he had an easy path to F1? A thousand million times no. Would it have been even harder or impossible had he had another surname? Certainly, and he admitted that. Let the guy race. He has as many credentials as half the field when they arrived to F1. And if he is 10% as good as his uncle, it would have been worth it.

Also sprach die Ruhe Ein

Oops..I supported Alonso... :D

I get your point St.Puma...