Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Apropos Of Nothing

On Wednesday, the U.S. women's under-17 team defeated Haiti 9-0 in their first qualifying match for the CONCACAF U-17 Women's Championships in Costa Rica. Once the final whistle blew, Haitian goalkeeper Alexandra Coby was so overwhelmed with emotion that she dropped to the pitch, weeping. It was all just too much for her and understandably so -- losing by such a harsh margin, even to a much better team, is always difficult to take, but given that Haiti is in the midst of trying to recover from the devastating earthquake that ravaged the Caribbean nation's capital two months ago and left hundreds of thousands of people dead, there was much more saddling these girls than just a lost game.

And the U.S. team saw that. As Haiti's coach helped the crying goalkeeper to her feet, U.S. goalie Bryane Heaberlin walked the length of the pitch, gave Coby a hug and didn't let go. The rest of the U.S. team soon joined her, circling around the two goalkeepers for a long group hug that left the entire squad in tears.

Said Heaberlin to USsoccer.com:

“I saw her crying and that was pretty hard for me to see. She’s a 'keeper and we have that bond. I knew that she had probably lost people close to her, and when she goes home she might not have anywhere to go. I gave her a big hug and told her she did great. She came to compete in this tournament despite all that she’s been through and I have tremendous respect for her.”

Haiti's participation in the tournament despite all that's going on back home for them has been the talk of the competition and the team's determination and bravery hasn't been lost on their opponents. Added U.S. defender Olivia Brannon:

“It just put everything into perspective. It makes you realize what is truly important, your family, having a roof over your head, and having food on the table. We take all those things for granted. I had my mom in the stands cheering for me tonight. Some of these girls might never have that again.”

So while the match itself may have seemed like piling on, it should be pointed out that the U.S. team didn't pander to their Haitian counterparts, instead showing them the respect of playing hard the whole game before sharing their true feelings and consolations after the final whistle. And these young Haitian girls will hopefully go back knowing that they're not alone.

---

These young girls have shown what I believe to be true American spirit.

---

These young girls have shown what I believe to be true American spirit.

Nah... I would say ' These young girls have shown what we belive to be true human spirit'..

:thbup:

Nah... I would say ' These young girls have shown what we belive to be true human spirit'..

:thbup:

Ah, so you think the American spirit is the true human spirit? I agree. ;)

Seriously, this wasn't meant as a "We're better than you are" thread, but rather as a way of showing what qualities I see regularly around me. It's easy to read headlines and dislike the U.S., but it's harder to see the people that live there and know that they are raised with the same sort of qualities that the rest of the world has.

That I characterize it as 'American spirit' is my own prerogative, but feel free to post examples of the true Indian spirit, or Spanish spirit or whatever nation you love or call home. It's all good.

Ah, so you think the American spirit is the true human spirit? I agree. ;)

Seriously, this wasn't meant as a "We're better than you are" thread, but rather as a way of showing what qualities I see regularly around me. It's easy to read headlines and dislike the U.S., but it's harder to see the people that live there and know that they are raised with the same sort of qualities that the rest of the world has.

That I characterize it as 'American spirit' is my own prerogative, but feel free to post examples of the true Indian spirit, or Spanish spirit or whatever nation you love or call home. It's all good.

There is nothing in that post you made me think that you meant you guys are better than others or any sort of nonsense.

The general population in any country have to be regarded as good human beings, its the few who somehow manage to spoil the image....they are there in almost every country.....either in the past or present unfortunately.

What those girls showed after the game is the display of difference between animals and humans....(it does not mean, animals don't love, for Godsake animal lovers don't feel offened) Those girls just reminded everyone how we humans are supposed to be......not blowing up eachother or ourselves in some extreme cases.

Another thing I would like to add is that, most of the people (other than illetrates) who you think dislike your country don't dislike your people...they may dislike your leaders and their policies that causes them great deal of suffering, but they never dislike the entire nation...if they do, then they are misinformed...or don't get a chance to see how good you are because the pain caused might be too much for them to see anything good...unfortunately, thats the way things are...

Ah, so you think the American spirit is the true human spirit? I agree. wink.gif

So you're humans after all?

Very nice example. thbup.gif

Thank you for this, Autumnpuma. Good story in and of itself but particularly sensitive of you to take the time to post it.

"...Seriously, this wasn't meant as a "We're better than you are" thread, but rather as a way of showing what qualities I see regularly around me. It's easy to read headlines and dislike the U.S., but it's harder to see the people that live there and know that they are raised with the same sort of qualities that the rest of the world has..."

I'll be the first one to stand up and say that we have some remarkably cruel and shallow sub-humans in this country but I still prefer to think that they are very much the exception.

So you're humans after all?

Very nice example. thbup.gif

Didn´t you see X Files? There are lots of aliens in the US... and the whole thing seems like an alien plan to improve their image! It´s just alien marketing!

I mostly agree with Shaliq words but US citizens must ask better maners to their leaders. I mean about war, polution and so on.

Have always said I admire the US way of life and its citizens attitude towards reaching goals and hopes. The great American dream. We of Britain are far too cynical when it comes to sharing success. Once we have it and make it, others try to bring you down. You guys celebrate it. It may seem like smugness to some but I genuinely don't think thats the way it is, Its real cameraderie within a nation.

These young ladies not only prove that humanity still has a heart and its still pumping strong, perhaps they have shown the world that its alright to show compassion, rather than wanting to destroy ourselves even more.

Thanks Mike for this, as a humanist this makes me smile.

I thought true American spirit = Jack Daniels? :)

Ah. My best friend. JD single malt. A true way to calm the soul and rock out to Jimi Hendrix....

In fact, what a great idea!