Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sato

Boring-Gate

Q: Tell us about the start as that was also important for you?

FA: The start was good. I think on the clean here there is a difference. There is a bit of sun close to the walls, so the start was more or less okay and the first corner was also good and I was lucky to overtake Felipe and then with the problem for Vettel, overtake Vettel as well and finish first. Obviously the qualifying and the starts are maybe the two key points this year. Unfortunately with no refuelling in terms of strategy or in terms of overtaking it will be very difficult to see any. After the first corner more or less the positions will be settled.

I think the whole season is setled unless reliability becomes a mayor player.

I think you are all over-reacting....I do agree today's race was boring, but we have had races which were even worse in the past few seasons...we just need to wait and see what is going to happen in the next few races. Today, I belive if everything went well, we could have seen the top 4-5 finishers having closer finishes, if Vettel didn't have his problem, or Lewis being held by Nico. Just wait for few more races, and lets decide weather we have to whine or clap..

I had to watch it twice, just to make sure i didn't miss any thing the first time. However the constant was I fell asleep both times, rarely has anything recently bored me to tears. I just hope the powers that be decide to liven things up before too long.

One thought that struck me while watching the race: the probles with regulations, despite how good or bad each one is per se, is the fact that they throw a bunch of rules at once, without considering how they interact with each other. And most of them cancel each other out, so you end up having the same old Sh#t, under a different name.

Example:

- New points system will make drivers push harder (let's assume it's true, though I always thought that was an idiotic assumption to start with)

Gets cancelled with:

- Limited number of engines. Drivers need to save the engine because, as usual, to finish first you must first finish, so it pays better to preserve the engine and make 22nd places than risk your engine for a 1st place and a DNF next race.

Ditto for no refuelling vs limited tire strategies...etc, etc.

The new points system isn't enough to make drivers drive off the track in hope of fluking a pass.

The ratio between the points is almost the same, so that's not surprising - I pointed this out when they first came out with the new scoring system.

They could give 100 points to the winner, 80 to second place etc - it would be the same.

It's what many people said would happen, how do the people who make the rules not see it?

If you look back in these very forums, you'll see various people (even idiots like me) saying refueling ban=bad, points system=pointless etc etc. We should be running F1. Bernie's short cuts idea is starting to sound resonable - jesus wept.

I said it all along, Banning refueling has been the dumbest idea in F1. worse than the one tire per race, worse than KERS, worse than any other decision.

Refueling was introduced because every race in the previous seasons was like this. Like they say, nobody learns from history.

Many of us do - we just don't have a seat on the FIA.

I think you are all over-reacting....I do agree today's race was boring, but we have had races which were even worse in the past few seasons...we just need to wait and see what is going to happen in the next few races. Today, I belive if everything went well, we could have seen the top 4-5 finishers having closer finishes, if Vettel didn't have his problem, or Lewis being held by Nico. Just wait for few more races, and lets decide weather we have to whine or clap..

I agree with you here. Let's not slaughter count our chickens just yet. It could get better (it couldn't get much worse).

What scares me right now is that for most of the race we saw drivers afraid of racing for fear of screwing their tyres up. Their times were slow, they just didn't push at all - there's no incentive to push - infact there's a disincentive - if you race, you're likely to loose places later.

I agree with you here. Let's not slaughter count our chickens just yet. It could get better (it couldn't get much worse).

What scares me right now is that for most of the race we saw drivers afraid of racing for fear of screwing their tyres up. Their times were slow, they just didn't push at all - there's no incentive to push - infact there's a disincentive - if you race, you're likely to loose places later.

I have to agree with you when I think about the driver's concerns...If a driver like Kimi was still there, you could tempt him with one extra can of beer for every car he overtakes...yes...some sort of incentive needs to be there....well...I guess the FIA and teams are looking into it..but let us be patient...I hope they do something about it..this season we have the best drivers line up in my memory (Please please old farts..shut up...I have been watching F1 only since '97) I hope they make the best use of it.

I´ll wait until F1 race at a proper track. The rules changed in the last years and some track -mostly new ones- failed to offer good races. On the other side Spa, Monza, etc. always shows us the best races of the season. So Jean is time to hire a new track architec, isn´t it?

Oh look...the doors opened a crack, and who's that standing outside...IRL....hmmmmmmm

Two championships started this weekend. One had overtaking. One had drama. The other had a bunch of arse.

I think the only saving grace here is that the drivers were probably loathed to go that much quicker and potentially risk throwing it all away. Now they have obtained valuable tyre data and know that, in the main, they were all too conservative, it may make them push harder in the next races.

Other than that, I would have to agree with the general consensus: worryingly processional. Monaco should be exciting, shouldn't it?

Why not just put them all in a big train with ten V8's bolted together and 88 wheels. See who can fight their way through the carriages, with Bernie up front driving.

Well...........I'm 41 and have been watching F1 since 1976, and this was the first race ever that I did not watch all the way through. Half way in the mrs said we need to nip to the shops - and instead of my usual screamin "are you mad?? F1 is on!!"

I said "alright , let's go now - nothing is going to happen".

For years I've been defending F1 to all those detracters who say "it's just a load of cars going aroung a track with nothing happening" - for the first time in my life, i could see what they meant.

I've seen some of my favourite teams dissappear, some of my favourite drivers either retire or even die! yet still found reason to watch the next race. Now i just feel betrayed. I've been in love with F1 nearly all my life and now it doesn't seem to interested in me! - I know where i'm not welcome.

I think the only saving grace here is that the drivers were probably loathed to go that much quicker and potentially risk throwing it all away. Now they have obtained valuable tyre data and know that, in the main, they were all too conservative, it may make them push harder in the next races.

Other than that, I would have to agree with the general consensus: worryingly processional. Monaco should be exciting, shouldn't it?

Why not just put them all in a big train with ten V8's bolted together and 88 wheels. See who can fight their way through the carriages, with Bernie up front driving.

Hopefully, that will be the case. From what Button said, it seems that he had conserved his tyres too much in the first stint.

Ole

OK the race wasn't great but it was the first ever boring GP with no overtaking of any note? No, it just happened to be the first of the season and expectations were high. You will get more boring races than you get exciting ones. Everyone seems to think that every race will be wheel-to-wheel action....well sorry to disappoint but it's not and it never has been, even back in the good old days (whenever they were).

I am sure the contributors to this forum have each watched their fair share of F1 races. How many over the last 10 years can you say were truly exciting and stick in the memory. 10 or 12 or 15 maybe. That's not averaging 2 per year and we are only on race 1 of a 19 race programme. I do think that a little patience is called for and not some knee jerk reaction to the situation that has been created.

And I think that is the root of the problem; the constant manipulation and changing of the rules. If a race doesn't deliver the goods then the rules are changed or amended in some way, shape or form. This is the wrong attitude. In football whenever two big clubs face each other the hype leading up to the game is huge; all the commentators talking about the attacking potential on both sides. The match inevitably ends up a defensive stalemate. But then the match following has goals aplenty. The football authorities do not pass a rule saying that the goalkeeper must leave the match for 15mins every half, or that a second ball is introduced into play! It applies in racing- you will have boring races. The more motor racing is manipulated the more people will turn off their TV's and the sport will be held up to more ridicule that it currently receives in the general press.

I am in favour of not refuelling the car. I didn't like the idea of a race could be lost because of a botched pit stop, or a driver simply waiting until his opponent goes into the pits before attacking the race track and getting the gap necessary to leap frog them.

The difference between pre 1994 and now is the tyres and the tyre regulations. We used to have the option of 4 compounds of tyre for a race (A - hard, B, C, D - very soft). Ok, maybe only two of those four compounds were realistic possibilities but we have the option of mixing up the tyres, putting harder tyres on one side of the car to make them last longer into the race. My old sparring partner Prost was of course the master of judging tyre wear. Too many times he would qualify around sixth on the grid and end up winning the race because he worked on his set up over the weekend, sacrificing qualifying for race performance. Gerhard was the opposite. He was always tough on his tyres and lost many positions because of this.

Bridgestone needs to come up with compounds similar to the ones of the past and the rules need to changed to give the driver and team the option of pitting or not pitting during a race, it should not be enforced. I know that I have said that changing the rules has been a negative, but this change should happen and then stick with it. All the drivers drive the same because of the past regulations. All of them a geared up for the race divided into sprints. There are no Prosts on the grid, using their race craft over the weekend to get the victory and overtaking people on the track and in pits. We must look back in order to move forward.

Final point. The points scoring system is a joke and a complete red herring. The points gap between first and second is irrelevant. Could be 1 point or 10 points, doesn't matter. A driver wants that victory on his record and wll go for it if he can. Points gathering only comes into it during the final third of the season.

Here endith the sermon.

Adeus (for now)

Gosh, what a lot of words. Tyres too durable. Drivers too cautious. Give it a while.

Good post, Spooky Senna. And exactly more or less what I said a few pages ago.

A couple of months back, I had a rant about how political and boring F1 was. I got told to watch something else. Have been an F1 fan since 1980-81 when I was four or five. I think like everybody here, am entitled after 29 years to voice what I think. Watch something else? Like f*ck. No matter how boring it gets, I know I'll be watching. I can't not. Its like everything - If it gets difficult, don't quit, and believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you should all take into consideration the fact that just over three years ago, most of you were complaining races were being won from the pits. Strategists became invaluable.

I don't like no refuelling, its not like years back. There are systems far more intelligent that can predict when a car will run out of fuel, right down to the corner and how many seconds a lap in the driver is. A few years back it was drive and hope for the best. Refuelling needs to come back, the driver needs to be allowed to choose his own strategy and how much fuel. The driver needs to make a decision on which compounds he wants. This is what I think anyway. Give more responsibility to the driver. If he messes up, its his own fault. If he wins, he's a legend. And we get to see some raw wheel to wheel all out racing.

A couple of months back, I had a rant about how political and boring F1 was. I got told to watch something else. Have been an F1 fan since 1980-81 when I was four or five. I think like everybody here, am entitled after 29 years to voice what I think. Watch something else? Like f*ck. No matter how boring it gets, I know I'll be watching. I can't not. Its like everything - If it gets difficult, don't quit, and believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you should all take into consideration the fact that just over three years ago, most of you were complaining races were being won from the pits. Strategists became invaluable.

I don't like no refuelling, its not like years back. There are systems far more intelligent that can predict when a car will run out of fuel, right down to the corner and how many seconds a lap in the driver is. A few years back it was drive and hope for the best. Refuelling needs to come back, the driver needs to be allowed to choose his own strategy and how much fuel. The driver needs to make a decision on which compounds he wants. This is what I think anyway. Give more responsibility to the driver. If he messes up, its his own fault. If he wins, he's a legend. And we get to see some raw wheel to wheel all out racing.

True.

Michael Schumacher and race winner Fernando Alonso predicted more of the same in 2010, and reigning world champion Jenson Button played down Alain Prost's claim that the new generation will adjust to the formula that was last in place 17 years ago.

"It's not like the old days," Button said. "We have so much more downforce. You could follow cars [back] then. You could slide up the inside. You could race. It's very different now."

Press slam 'Bore-rain GP' | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

that is exactly the problem we are talking about, it doesn't matter how fast you are if you are behind another car you will stay there until the pit stops and it is not only us, just check it out in the press and you will see that is a common feeling that this was one of the most boring races of all.

Ole Kopite Girl

Obrigado for your support of my post earlier today.

I don't think refuelling should come back firstly as a cost saving measure, secondly for safety reasons, thirdly for keeping the races as pure and unmolested as possible.

Why aren't the mechanics in shorts and t-shirts for the pit stops like the old days. Without refuelling taking place surely the boys don't need to be dressed up the fireproof overalls and helmets do they? Is it because overalls offer more space for sponsors than a t-shirt does? Wouldn't want to be the pit crew in Bahrain or Malaysia, they'll be sweating like a glassblower's arse.

Adeus (for now)

A couple of months back, I had a rant about how political and boring F1 was. I got told to watch something else.

I think the difference now is that we couldn't find a positive side to this race, in previous races you could find a somewhat good fight in the back of the field but there were no good fights in this race and being the first we just can think the way MSC just expressed, that is more of the same in 2010, I was one of those who alawys found something good in a race but this one was the exception to that rule and I hope it is just this one.

How to watch an F1 race today.

1. Open your TV one minute before the start

2. Watch the start and the first lap

3. Close your TV and go have brunch with your better half

4. Come back from Brunch for the last 5 laps.

There you go, you hardly will have miss something and your wife will be happy.

I have a hard time in believing that you must add a second pit stop to make things more exciting.

Why not a draw to stop the race in the middle and re-start it again? As ridiculous at it seems it would be more exciting. Or bring the Safety car once at a random time in the race...This little left of strategy has been removed with the non-refuling rule.

I feel the FIA doesn't know how to manage this sport. It really does not look professional at all, seems like they are a bunch of old farts getting around a table improvising rules and making stupid verdics.

,... Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch F1 hoping something will happen, it's like drugs you hope for more!

How to watch an F1 race today.

1. Open your TV one minute before the start

2. Watch the start and the first lap

3. Close your TV and go have brunch with your better half

4. Come back from Brunch for the last 5 laps.

There you go, you hardly will have miss something and your wife will be happy.

I have a hard time in believing that you must add a second pit stop to make things more exciting.

Why not a draw to stop the race in the middle and re-start it again? As ridiculous at it seems it would be more exciting. Or bring the Safety car once at a random time in the race...This little left of strategy has been removed with the non-refuling rule.

I feel the FIA doesn't know how to manage this sport. It really does not look professional at all, seems like they are a bunch of old farts getting around a table improvising rules and making stupid verdics.

,... Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch F1 hoping something will happen, it's like drugs you hope for more!

Well is far better than the 2000-2004 seasons when you didn´t need to turn on the tv for the 5 last laps...

I think there's a way to improve F1 racing, DOF said it first. Less aerodynamics, more electronics. One day FIA will realise that. This season can be very interesting for the changes it will bring for the future. Everybody's talking about it.

I think we have the worst mix possible in 2010.

- No refuelling

- Super DDDs

- Standard ECU and no electronic aids

- Super durable tyre compounds

I think we have the worst mix possible in 2010.

- No refuelling

- Super DDDs

Indeed.

Add to this

- The 8 engines rule prior to a 10 place penality

- The new points counting, might give us a championship winner very early in the season.

Indeed.

Add to this

- The 8 engines rule prior to a 10 place penality

- The new points counting, might give us a championship winner very early in the season.

I don't think the new points scoring system will affect racing for good or bad, although it could make the fight for the Championship shorter. From a racing point of view I totally agree with you on the 8 engines rule.

We have

- No refuelling

- Super DDDs

- 8 engines for the whole season, 18k revs limit, engine freeze

I don't think the new points scoring system will affect racing for good or bad, although it could make the fight for the Championship shorter. From a racing point of view I totally agree with you on the 8 engines rule.

We have

- No refuelling

- Super DDDs

- 8 engines for the whole season, 18k revs limit, engine freeze

Not to add necessarily (electronics), but the abandon of the KERS system also reduces the passing at start,... and during the race, some were getting the extra little push with it. It was giving us more passing.