Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikathegreat2

Alms 2010

Only a few days till Sebring & already a catastrophe! Jon Field who races for Intersport Racing had a horrific crash, similar to Scott Sharp's crash @ PLM last year but luckily he was ok & i think he's allowed race @ the 12 hours! Anyhoo, exciting new rules & changes, Corvette drop down to GT2 mixing in with the Porsche's & Fezza's, Jan Magnussen set to get revenge over Jorg Bergmeister after Laguna last year where Bergmeister put Magnussen into the wall just before the finish line!

Aston Martin return to Sebring after 60 odd years & after Sebring, the P1 & P2 cars merge together into 1 class cos the other tracks are tight & twisty, great for the P2's! I'm sure it'll be more interesting than the Borerain GP on Sunday!

Jon Field, stalwart in the world of independents, can be a real charger during races. Certainly glad to hear that he's come out of this accident intact. As for the race itself, I always look forward to Sebring with great anticipation. Such a fine old track with as much history as any sports car venue. Everyone who is anyone has raced here. And as a true endurance race it still attracts the big hitters from Europe, so hearing about Aston's return earlier this winter only added to my interest. SPEED TV usually provides excellent coverage of the race, typically the better part of the full 12 hours. And the GT2 class will be very interesting to watch this season.

Here's hoping the ALMS kick starts it's year with a bang.

In just over 24 hours Sebring will begin, and save for a couple of pit-stops with NASCAR, SPEED should be covering most of the race. Here's hoping it's a good one.

Speed will show a direct feed for quali then have the onboard pass for the race which isn't great! Highcroft doing well & ftw in P2!

Wow, Sebring 12 Hours was fantastic, especially the 1st 20 mins with the top 4 P1 & GT2 cars mixing it up & causing all sorts of choas! Emanuele Pirro was my DOD, he made the Drayson Lola-Judd fly & made great passes particularly on 1 of the Peugeot's using the GT cars as cover! Anthony Davidson comes a close 2nd IMO, did very well despite never racing @ Sebring before & made a mistake! Gené was also impressive @ his Sebring debut!

I sometimes think that Pirro's very humorous side has blunted, in the eyes of some, his innate abilities as a driver. I too was glad to see him back at the wheel of a prototype and looking very racy yesterday. Overall a good kick-start to the 2010 ALMS.

I gather Audi was waiting in the wings to begin the testing of their new steed. It should be a battle royal come Le Mans.

The blooper of the race was the crash of both vettes at the pits! The Flying Lizzard 911 GT3 had back luck with a flying wheel -who else can hit a "flying" wheel?

The blooper of the race was the crash of both vettes at the pits! The Flying Lizzard 911 GT3 had back luck with a flying wheel -who else can hit a "flying" wheel?

Not to mention the Krohn Ferrari nearly forcing the Risi Ferrari to crash! Ironic eh, Porsche-v-Porsche, Vette-v-Vette & Ferrari-v-Ferrari, surprised there wasn't a BMW-v-BMW incident!

Anyone else watch this one?

WHAT A RACE!

Great battles throughout in all classes; John Field and his super-independent Intersport Lola taking it to the Aston for the overall lead early, Brabham and Primat colliding sending both to the back, Patrick Long fighting through the BMWs to take the GT lead and win late in the going, Fernández in the Aston passing leader Pagenaud with 6 minutes to go for the overall lead, and then Pagenaud passing him back on the LAST LAP of the race! Thrilling, thrilling, thrilling stuff! A last lap pass for the win! Isn't racing awesome when you have two different cars with completely different strengths (the Aston V12 on the straights and the Hondacura's lightness through the twisty sections) battling for an overall win? F1 ought to take note of what diversity among chassis and engines will get them.

Easily the best race so far of a young 2010 season in any form of motor racing. I really enjoyed that one.

There has been no vids of the Long Beach race, NONE!! Not even from ALMS' official youtube channel, all they have on that is Pagenaud doing doghnuts!!!

[quote name='piquettheterrible2' date='21 April 2010 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1271858728' post='315149']
There has been no vids of the Long Beach race, NONE!! Not even from ALMS' official youtube channel, all they have on that is Pagenaud doing doghnuts!!!
[/quote]

Look harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZ9clNxu00 (initial incident between Primat and Brabham)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSzr14lxCDM (Pat Long's testicular fortitude/lack of rearview mirror)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onIDsSf0pMM&feature=related (battle for the win on the last two laps of the race)

And this lame highlights video that fails to show a lot of the race: http://americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|14728