Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cridanb

F1 Unlimited

I think that there are too many rules limiting what a car can and cannot have , maybe we should simplify the rules to say

1)it has to fit inside a certain dimension

2) cannot weigh less than 700kg

3) must pass a crash and safety test

4) can only use a certain amount of energy to complete the race distance (fuel is up-to the team so hydrogen , shell best mix whatever is allowed)

5) at least 4 parts of the car must normally be in contact with the track surface (ie tires , but hey if you want to use skids thats up-to you )

6) any form of propulsion that is not a hazard to other races is permitted

so what do think

in flight refueling would be allowed so one car would allowed to refuel another team mate whilst racing without stopping :-)

One major problem I see with your scenario is this. It'll just end up in complete mess.

Sure it sounds good in theory. But then what you'd get would be a spending war between the teams again. The top teams would be spending even more money thatn currently to try and stay ahead of the competition, and whilst that's all well and good for the likes of Ferrari and McLaren who have that money to spend, what about the likes of Williams, Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso, etc, etc? They don't have those massive budgets to spend and as the costs go up and up meaning those small teams would not be able to afford it any more.

Sure, they could just spend as much money as they are comfortable with, but then the big teams would be out spending them and meaning that they'd be much more competitive. Lose lose situation.

i hate these rules. So cridanb has a point. And if teams can't compete on the highest level then they should not be in F1. Cost savings is the most stupid thing that FIA has set to do and we have all seen where the F1 is today. Cars that look ugly as hell and even the ForumlaFord looks cooler.

I say change the rules back where they were back 2000-2007 more freedom for the designers and bring back ****ing V10 engines..

The only thing i would keep is the points. It's better this way, and racing for 8 position suddenly has some meaning.

And I want Monty in Ferrari alongside FA.

1)it has to fit inside a certain dimension

2) cannot weigh less than 700kg

3) must pass a crash and safety test

4) can only use a certain amount of energy to complete the race distance (fuel is up-to the team so hydrogen , shell best mix whatever is allowed)

5) at least 4 parts of the car must normally be in contact with the track surface (ie tires , but hey if you want to use skids thats up-to you )

6) any form of propulsion that is not a hazard to other races is permitted

7) no air conditioner

8) no parking aid

9) no spare tyre

10) no blinkers

11) WTF????

Engine freeze, engine 18k rpm limit, 8 engines per seasson, 1 gearbox for 5 races penalty, use of both compounds mandatory...

Sure, the rules suck... what else is new.

The biggest problem by far, imo, is that the rules prevent innovation or make it, in general, brutally expensive and do so by narrowing the avenues where to pursue development.

The actual rules promote the high cost since everything is regulated the teams needs to expend a lot of money to upgrade a small piece of the car to gain 0.001s. one example is the DD Diffuser or the F-duct of this year.

with a more open set of rules the money will go to really big upgrades at least until each is near the optimum for their configuration. I would love to see the Ferrari running in a v12 and have a BMW v10 or Renault on a4 cylinders turbo, cosworth with a v8 etc. and each car completely different.

one of the few aspects I see need to be regulated is the aero packages limiting the amount of downforce at several speeds to prevent to have another aero war.

Welcome to the forums, cridanb!

I think a lot of people agree with your views on opening up F1, but I'm not sure the FIA are among them! It's hard to say where Todt stands because, unlike Mosley, he doesn't come out every other day with "these are the 2011 regs that will be postponed to 2012 and then altered and pushed to 2013 and then pushed back to 2014 with minor alterations and then they'll just never happen." Which, if it means he's actually working on something rather than talking about it, I don't mind. I hope Todt plays around with Mosley's proposals because the ones Mosley had were crap. A lot of standardization, and to paraphrase his own regulations, NASCARization of the sport (the 2012-ish ones state how F1 needs to become more like NASCAR). Both have their place in other forms of racing, but I don't feel it belongs in F1 (or else we'd only have one form of motor racing if they all were supposed to have similar regs). I'm sure Todt will be sensible, and I know he's pushing for green technology, but I'm not really sure what else. He'd be wise to listen to Michelin for starters. Hopefully he'll allow some innovation.

The actual rules promote the high cost since everything is regulated the teams needs to expend a lot of money to upgrade a small piece of the car to gain 0.001s. one example is the DD Diffuser or the F-duct of this year.

with a more open set of rules the money will go to really big upgrades at least until each is near the optimum for their configuration. I would love to see the Ferrari running in a v12 and have a BMW v10 or Renault on a4 cylinders turbo, cosworth with a v8 etc. and each car completely different.

one of the few aspects I see need to be regulated is the aero packages limiting the amount of downforce at several speeds to prevent to have another aero war.

There's no better engine than V10. Ferrari made a costly mistake in the past with the V12 and they learnt eventually.

i hate these rules. So cridanb has a point. And if teams can't compete on the highest level then they should not be in F1. Cost savings is the most stupid thing that FIA has set to do and we have all seen where the F1 is today. Cars that look ugly as hell and even the ForumlaFord looks cooler.

I disagree. Sure, FIA made a right real f-up last year choosing Hispania and US F1 and it seems like they have shot themselves through the foot with that decision now as Lola and Prodrive (the two most competent teams that submitted an entry) have announced they won't be re-submitting this year.

Whilst top quality teams ARE essential for this sport we know and love, seriously, you can't let teams spend mega bucks, espacially when the economy is still not that strong. The privateers would leave or go bust and we've seen how loyal the manufacturers who are capable of spending that big buget are.....not! *Cough* BMW, Honda, Toyota *cough*.

I know I may get some stick for this, but I do think that Max had the right idea with the budget cap idea. Clearly, the figure was way too low for the teams to cut that much, and I'd never want to see F1 get to such a point where it was essentially an expensive spec series, but F1 will continue to make the same old mistakes time and time again if something wasn't done to keep them in check.

Sure, the hardly any rules idea sounds pretty cool, but after the initial surge of interest I suspect it would generate, then I could see all the big budget manufacturers and smaller privateers would drop one by one.