Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kopite Girl

Monaco Gp

Wait, isn't it illegal to pass before a start of a new lap?

Then again, F1 rules don't make sense in the first place.

rules changed this year.

now overtaking can happen from first safety car line which is around pit entrance (not sure exactly where in monaco).

as for the rest of the race...

boring.

alonso's start from the pits provided the only spectacle of the race. some nice moves on the back markers and an obvious early pit (I think they had that planned even without hulk's crash).

trulli's move at the end - dubious.

schumi's move at the end - cheeky.

I grudgingly concede that Alonso did well to finish 7th from 24th. Still, it's undeniable, the saftey car at the start played into his hands.

No he didn't do well, that's a bloody myth. He or the team made one decent pit call, his driving performance was nothing to write home about. It takes balls to overtake at Monaco.

Live timing comments says the folloing "Replay shows Schumacher cheekely, but we believe legally, nipped past Alonso on the restart for P6, just as they pass the safety car line"

Glad to hear that, Tommy. ESPN F1 too says, "Schumacher passed Alonso in the last corner, a very brave move but it should count as they had passed the safety car line"

I didn't get to see Schumi's move, but I hope it's all legit? I thought the moment the SC makes itself scarce, you are immediately in race mode & can overtake.

that's not the case, I rememeber a great pass Schumi made on RB at Indianapolis on this situation, I'll try to find the video to post it here.

I found it look at it here

Sporting code says that you are allowed to overtake once you pass the SC line. It also says that if the race finishes under SC no overtake is allowed. And it NEVER explains wtf is the SC line :lol:

So, as usual, the rules are crap and we will have to rely on the stewards. I haven't seen the manoeuvre, but I don't think they will punish Schumi from your comments.

Sporting code says that you are allowed to overtake once you pass the SC line. It also says that if the race finishes under SC no overtake is allowed. And it NEVER explains wtf is the SC line :lol:

So, as usual, the rules are crap and we will have to rely on the stewards. I haven't seen the manoeuvre, but I don't think they will punish Schumi from your comments.

The worst part is that as this race took so long Speed cut the transmition at teh podium ceremony and they didn't mention if this was being investigated or not, but they showed Alonso on six on the unofficial results screen.

The race DIDN'T finish under the safety car, otherwise the safety car would have stayed out and led to the chequered flag.

The safety car line is marked clearly on the track, I apologize on behalf of the FIA for not pointing it out especially for you ;)

My brother recorded Qualifying on DVD. I've been asleep more or less for 2 days and managed to stay awake for the race. Ref qualifying. Massa is a c#ck for the move on Button.

Anyway i feel a little better and working on the Race Report. So it should be up tomorrow night at the latest.

Entertaining race. I bet that if that race happened at any other track it'd be considered rather dull and processional. For me though, just seeing the cars get so close to the barriers and all the other action and drama that was going on made it interesting and exciting. Huge plaudits to Webber. I'll put my hands up here and say that I didn't expect he'd be able to live with Vettel this season, but currently it looks the opposite. Vettel not being able to live with Webber.

I noticed that too. BBC Showed an onboard replay on their forum show and it does seem like he did in fact pass under a yellow. Obviously the stewards were too busy looking at something else....:P

Monaco is fun even if it provides very little in the way of racing. I enjoyed Alonso's battles and Kubica's mastery behind the wheel, Webber's cool head and the Red Bull celebrations, Schumi's cheeky pass on Alonso and Alonso himself making the most of a self-induced difficult GP.

As for dislikes, and something which has been (surprisingly) overlooked, did nobody else think Barrichello's throwing of a steering wheel onto the track was extremely stupid? Seriously, in an open c#ckpit series I don't think it's good for anybody to be placing debris on the track and I thought that considering recent incidents (Massa, Henry Surtees) that was extremely poor from an experienced driver like Rubens. It's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to foresee that steering wheel hitting a driver in the head or hitting a spectator. Rubens clearly wasn't thinking.

Put simply, if Lewis Hamilton had done something like that, I am sure plenty of people on this forum would be furious <_<

Alonso passing under yellow.

http://i274.photobuc...onso-yellow.jpg

:eusa_think:

Interesting.

Monaco is fun even if it provides very little in the way of racing. I enjoyed Alonso's battles and Kubica's mastery behind the wheel, Webber's cool head and the Red Bull celebrations, Schumi's cheeky pass on Alonso and Alonso himself making the most of a self-induced difficult GP.

As for dislikes, and something which has been (surprisingly) overlooked, did nobody else think Barrichello's throwing of a steering wheel onto the track was extremely stupid? Seriously, in an open c#ckpit series I don't think it's good for anybody to be placing debris on the track and I thought that considering recent incidents (Massa, Henry Surtees) that was extremely poor from an experienced driver like Rubens. It's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to foresee that steering wheel hitting a driver in the head or hitting a spectator. Rubens clearly wasn't thinking.

Put simply, if Lewis Hamilton had done something like that, I am sure plenty of people on this forum would be furious <_<

You will noticed that I was the one who pointed that out the moment it happened :D

Yes, it was very dangerous as Hamilton ran over it right after he throwed it away. Even without that, drivers are supposed to put the steering wheel back in the car before leaving it or be punished (I don't remember what was the penalization for that, but there is some). I am surprised nobody did anything about it. Again, a case of being way too lenient.

I don't think the inexperienced excuse is valid for Hamilton any more. He's a bit too wild for Monaco.

And I would think wheelbase would always matter in a place like Monaco.

And saying that the Mercedes car goes one way or the other, that changes for Schumacher hurt Rosberg is a very simplistic and ultimately wrong way of looking at the situation.

I'll go into this in detail later..

I stand corrected on the second of these points - Mike was right: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/monaco-set-up-the-misconption-of-wheelbase/

I stand by the rest though.

Also Trulli's move on Chandhok. Pretty stupid.

You will noticed that I was the one who pointed that out the moment it happened :D

Yes, it was very dangerous as Hamilton ran over it right after he throwed it away. Even without that, drivers are supposed to put the steering wheel back in the car before leaving it or be punished (I don't remember what was the penalization for that, but there is some). I am surprised nobody did anything about it. Again, a case of being way too lenient.

Ah yes, you did notice it I see. Yeah, there is a fine (I think) for not attaching the steering wheel.

True. Although at least that could have had some potential benefit unlike Barry's moment of stupidity.

It is interesting how expectations have changed over the years.

This is Alonso's first season with Ferrari. There was a time when folks took the time to consider how much this matters. Moreover, Alonso is 2nd in the championship while Massa is 7th. I would say Alonso is doing much better than Ferrari can _apparently_ hope from a driver that has been with them forever.

So, I say, cool off. Let's see how things evolve. We have now a strange season after the last _completely_fixed_up_from_preseason_to_end_ season. No reason to lose one's marbles... that's why we have the lewisterics for, and boy aren't they jumping with joy at Alonso's accident and freaky consequences... as someone said somewhere, many accidents occur during practice and few involve falling out of qualification.

Anyway, I think that many drivers are doing well this season despite whatever errors. Hamilton and Alonso are top of my doing-well list. So are others, of course, like Kubica and Vettel and Webber... but my respect for these fellows goes well back. No news there.

I agree with you maure. Yesterday I was really p**sed off with Alonso missing Qfy but he is doing well and he's been able to partially ammend his own mistakes so far.

Put simply, if Lewis Hamilton had done something like that, I am sure plenty of people on this forum would be furious

Didn't Hamilton's steering wheel have diamond crests on it? happy.gif

Yes, that was quite a nasty moment. Glad both drivers got away without any injuries but obviously the red mist had decended over Trulli.

:rolleyes:

And when was the last time we got heck loads of overtaking in Monaco? Oh that's right.....never.