Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Does Alonso Always Crack Under Pressure?

Yup. Those are two very good reasons for this thread: Alonso's fans always praise his consistency and his critics think he always cracks under pressure from a teammate.

Nonsense. The reason for this thread is none other than cavallino's mental diarrhea after seeing Schumacher suck big time all the time. He's come unstuck and is striking blindly.

Alonso is consistent. Look at his position in the championship. Alonso is not perfect... but which driver is? It's all inane btching that serves for nothing.

But that says it all - Schumacher and Senna did it too... but the rules were different then and so they knew it didn't matter!

Again, nonsense. The consequences of Alonso's crash during practice were unpredictable. His car could have been ready for quali but it wasn't and, ultimately, it didn't matter too much for the championship. In fact, even for the race, it was better this way. In other words, having a strong car/driver at the back of the field (Alonso or whoever) always adds a bit of entertainment to races designed by FIA to bore centuries old corpses.

Dear God. This guy is a human. Not some super-human hero, although I suspect some Spanish fans would like to think that was the case. We all make mistakes at some point. It's called BEING HUMAN. Name a driver who has never made a "rookie msitake" in his career and you are not looking hard enough.

As for the original question. No, of course he doesn't. Alonso had to undergo the pressue of going toe-to-toe with Schumacher in 2006 before winning the title and at some races made the 7 times master look a bit silly.

(And yes, I am a fan of Schumacher and I'm not afraid of stating that.)

I wouldn't be mentioning that here ;) as he really cracked in 2006, he started blaming the team for his failures, he had an ernourmus gap in the WDC and many people thought it would be impossible for Schumi to close the gap but Schumi did at that moment, Alonso cracked and he was unable to match Schumi anymore and only won the WDC when Schumi blowed his engine in Susuka, Japan, lap 37 while he was beating Alonso once again, so I don't know what you mean that he made Schumi look silly, that never happened, the only one who looked silly blaming his team with silly comments like "they don't want me to take the number one to Mclaren" was Alonso. :P

That same could be said about you.

No it can't, and you well know it.

Schumacher crashed a lot of cars, the difference is that he had several T cars available (as it was allowed by the rules back then), no park ferme and much weaker opposition.

Tough Sh#t, it's the same rules for everyone, so Mr. Alonso can't complain. As for weaker opposition, I would argue otherwise - the present bunch are pretty ambitionless and complacent, the lack of overtaking in Monaco just shows us that - noone bar MS was willing to make the effort to try and get past the car in front (ok maybe Trulli even though he ****ed up big time). It was Bahrain all over again, I don't know why, maybe because of the new points system, they are happy as long as they are in the top ten, maybe they have convinced themselves that overtaking is impossible in F1 since everyone keeps repating it, so they just give up after the first lap? Compare Alonso's comical attempts at overtaking to Mika Hakkinen's famous pass on Michael. Weaker opposition? Bullsh!t.

Alonso has made at least 5 rookie mistakes this year in 6 races, make all the excuses for him you want, criticize my style of posting, make personal attacks, but there's no running away form the fact that his performance hasn't been up to those standards, and at least Kubeetza, Rosberg, Button, Webber have driven better than he has this year. So I don't get this ridiculous Alonso hero worship.

Has he REALLY been cited as the driver that makes NO mistakes? Or the driver that rarely makes a mistake.

In my view when a master of his craft f*cks up, and gets slated for it usually says to me that he rarely makes mistakes. People jump on Alonso as they're afraid of him.

Yes. He REALLY is THAT GOOD. As 'was' Michael.

They both are feared. And suffer massive backlash when mistakes are made. I see a pattern forming here.....

-sings- Carry on my wayward son... there'll be peace when you are done...

Has he REALLY been cited as the driver that makes NO mistakes? Or the driver that rarely makes a mistake.

In my view when a master of his craft f*cks up, and gets slated for it usually says to me that he rarely makes mistakes. People jump on Alonso as they're afraid of him.

They both are feared. And suffer massive backlash when mistakes are made. I see a pattern forming here.....

IMHO (In My Haughty Opinion tongue.gif), Alonso isn't as good as he's made out to be. He's had unbelievable amounts of good luck (for eg, he won the WDC in 05 courtesy Macca's tech failings). Some people do say "You make your own luck". Well, he makes only part of his luck. The rest of the field somehow manages to diss lady luck in his favour. At most, he's had a few good drives in the best car.

And not 'was' Michaelmf_tongue.gif It's 'is' Michael!

Yup. Those are two very good reasons for this thread: Alonso's fans always praise his consistency and his critics think he always cracks under pressure from a teammate.

But that says it all - Schumacher and Senna did it too... but the rules were different then and so they knew it didn't matter!

Well now that you put it that way, you could have a point.

No it can't, and you well know it.

Tough Sh#t, it's the same rules for everyone, so Mr. Alonso can't complain. As for weaker opposition, I would argue otherwise - the present bunch are pretty ambitionless and complacent, the lack of overtaking in Monaco just shows us that - noone bar MS was willing to make the effort to try and get past the car in front (ok maybe Trulli even though he ****ed up big time). It was Bahrain all over again, I don't know why, maybe because of the new points system, they are happy as long as they are in the top ten, maybe they have convinced themselves that overtaking is impossible in F1 since everyone keeps repating it, so they just give up after the first lap? Compare Alonso's comical attempts at overtaking to Mika Hakkinen's famous pass on Michael. Weaker opposition? Bullsh!t.

Alonso has made at least 5 rookie mistakes this year in 6 races, make all the excuses for him you want, criticize my style of posting, make personal attacks, but there's no running away form the fact that his performance hasn't been up to those standards, and at least Kubeetza, Rosberg, Button, Webber have driven better than he has this year. So I don't get this ridiculous Alonso hero worship.

Do not go there. This generation is probably the best ever.

And Mika Hakkinen had a low drag setup vs. Schu's high drag-downsforce setup, and a slow a## back-marker on a slipstream track.

Compare that to the Button,Vettel and Hamilton, all with low drag dry weather setup, at Brazil 2009, witch was the exact same situation.

So we have the third rookie error from Alonso this year, from the driver who supposedly 'never makes mistakes'.

Dont worry... MS did three consecutive rookie mistakes in 2003 and, after a big help from FIA with the tyre gate , ended as WDC by a small margin...

Alonso might have done some mistakes this season, but I dont think it was rookie mistakes... Or at least not as rookie as MS in 2003 (or in 1994, 1997, etc...)

We all can imagine how irritated you felt when Briatori said Alonso was the best driver he ever had... That must have hurt... :)

I understand you. It must be very bad to have someone better than your idol, who was WDC younger and beating him fair and square with less mistakes in 2006.

But you must get over it...

Do not go there. This generation is probably the best ever.

Oh please, if they are, why does the order get shaken up by the arrival of a rookie, or do we now have an endless supply of best ever rookies too? Why does it take a 41 year old geezer to provide the most audacious move of a race when the best ever did little more than sit around all race? Why does someone like Kobayashi shake things up, the best ever generation shouldn't be affected much by a dude who barely made an impact in lower formulae.

And don't forget, the cars have possibly never been easier to drive (ok maybe a bit in the days of traction control), they're driving at a time where you can drive through eau rouge flat out in your sleep.

And Mika Hakkinen had a low drag setup vs. Schu's high drag-downsforce setup, and a slow a## back-marker on a slipstream track.

Backmarkers are there to be used. And I don't remember setups from back then, however it's a far cry from today when Alonso is being lauded for taking the trouble to overtake cars who wouldn't even have been allowed to race back then thanks to the 107% rule.

Dont worry... MS did three consecutive rookie mistakes in 2003 and, after a big help from FIA with the tyre gate , ended as WDC by a small margin...

Alonso might have done some mistakes this season, but I dont think it was rookie mistakes... Or at least not as rookie as MS in 2003 (or in 1994, 1997, etc...)

We all can imagine how irritated you felt when Briatori said Alonso was the best driver he ever had... That must have hurt... :)

I understand you. It must be very bad to have someone better than your idol, who was WDC younger and beating him fair and square with less mistakes in 2006.

But you must get over it...

Whoops, something's wrong, I can see your post. I'll go sort out my ignore list, but I will take the time to remind you that you're an idiot :D You think it actually strengthens your argument when you make a personal attack? Have you ever taken part in an adult debate? Don't bother replying as I won't be reading any more of your trash posts :P

IMHO (In My Haughty Opinion tongue.gif), Alonso isn't as good as he's made out to be. He's had unbelievable amounts of good luck (for eg, he won the WDC in 05 courtesy Macca's tech failings). Some people do say "You make your own luck". Well, he makes only part of his luck. The rest of the field somehow manages to diss lady luck in his favour. At most, he's had a few good drives in the best car.

And not 'was' Michaelmf_tongue.gif It's 'is' Michael!

Well. He made his own luck by winning x2 champions. Michael was good. I like him, you know this. He was good. I've unfortunately seen nothing special this season and its a shame.

I wouldn't be mentioning that here ;) as he really cracked in 2006, he started blaming the team for his failures, he had an ernourmus gap in the WDC and many people thought it would be impossible for Schumi to close the gap but Schumi did at that moment, Alonso cracked and he was unable to match Schumi anymore and only won the WDC when Schumi blowed his engine in Susuka, Japan, lap 37 while he was beating Alonso once again, so I don't know what you mean that he made Schumi look silly, that never happened, the only one who looked silly blaming his team with silly comments like "they don't want me to take the number one to Mclaren" was Alonso. :P

It isn't true that Alonso cracked (in fact, he was in there fighting for it to the end with a Renault and without the team living for his every wish while Schumacher...) but, on the other hand, it is true that the WDC was decided largely, hugely, by the Schumacher's engine failure in Japan.

Then, again, you screw up (due to Alonsophobia or alike malady perhaps?) on the McLaren bit. Alonso won that WDC were it not for team orders at Ferrari. I consider, still today, Kimi to be the best but this is a truth as enormous as a Himalayan mountain. Kimi won his WDC because Massa let him pass. And so, Alonso just for being there at all, when McLaren was falling apart because the best way idiots like RD, Hamilton, and his tennis dad could conspired was by infighting and never ending finger pointing, again, just for being there, Alonso deserves huge, huge respect. In all but name, and despite everything that was thrown against Alonso (including FIA via Whiting, btw), Alonso's year at McLaren earned the WDC.

Summing up, you cannot compare Schumacher with Alonso unless you are prepared to have your balls kicked round the globe... and not because one is better than the other. No, no, little friend. But because there are times when we stand before titans and there is nothing left to say.

The bolded underlined part sums it up.

...., make personal attacks, ...

As you think you are above doing such things yourself, contradiction man, even though you do them over and over even in the very post I just skimmed over...

Anyway, I'm just amused that you let any criticism reach you. Are you lying when you say you are black listing all but those that worship your persona? If so, it explains your loneliness... turns out no one gives a sht about your "greatness" except you.

Anyway, liar or psychotic? Both, I would say.

To your post (that I mostly ignored, tbs) I say that there are many hero worshippers, you standing way ahead of the most fanatical, contradiction man. What there are few, and plese consider this carefully, are those that start threads like this.

So, sure, mental health is overrated and you _think_ you are "cosy" because you have not changed underwear in weeks since shower water is made out of baby seals' tears... but, hey, that persistent red light inside your head is trying to tell you something. Go on, help yourself. It's telling you to change gears, to walk away from the voices that only exist in your head, to consider that reality is more complex than a person's mind no matter how stubborn or well put together (yours is the first and not, by a long shot, the latter), etc, etc. In short, heal yourself and come back so we can keep on laughing at a slightly less insane cavallino. Your actions nowadays are kind of pitiful.

Oh please, if they are, why does the order get shaken up by the arrival of a rookie, or do we now have an endless supply of best ever rookies too? Why does it take a 41 year old geezer to provide the most audacious move of a race when the best ever did little more than sit around all race? Why does someone like Kobayashi shake things up, the best ever generation shouldn't be affected much by a dude who barely made an impact in lower formulae.

And don't forget, the cars have possibly never been easier to drive (ok maybe a bit in the days of traction control), they're driving at a time where you can drive through eau rouge flat out in your sleep.

Backmarkers are there to be used. And I don't remember setups from back then, however it's a far cry from today when Alonso is being lauded for taking the trouble to overtake cars who wouldn't even have been allowed to race back then thanks to the 107% rule.

The best rookies thing ever ended with Vettel, before that it was Hamilton and before that Alonso; most rookies were failures just as always.

And that just proves this generation is better.

The 41 year old was either too stupid or misinformed about the rules, witch stipulate that you cannot make a pass on the last lap with the safety car until the finish line.

And what the hell did Kobayashi shook up ?!

The best rookie so far has been Petrov with 6 points, all collected in one race.

WTH are you talking about ?!

If the cars are so easy to drive Schumacher wouldn't have struggled on the low speed sections, Blundell wouldn't spun the Williams Fw29 on the low speed sections and Lauda wouldn't have spun a 2002 Jaguar twice on the course of 3 laps.

The old 2.15 meter track vs. the current 1.80, plus the old wide tires meant a lot of extra mechanical stability and grip on low speed sectors.

Easy is just in the imagination of some, on the low speed sectors the current cars are in fact more difficult.

Alonso should not be lauded for this, but these days the car are far more aero sensitive then in the early 90s, there's only 2 tire compounds to chose instead of 4 and performance gaps between the engines are much closer. The days of the 60 to 160-200 horsepower gaps between the engines are gone.

most rookies were failures just as always.

Rookies didn't challenge for the title and challenge the reigning two time champion in the same car from their very first race. Sure, Lewis is good and he got lots of testing and simulator time, but there is no way he would jump into F1 that easily in the 80s - early 90s.

The 41 year old was either too stupid or misinformed about the rules, witch stipulate that you cannot make a pass on the last lap with the safety car until the finish line.

And there's nothing wrong with waving green flags all over? Again, I am repeating myself:

By having the signals for safety car conditions - waved yellows, 'SC' boards, yellow lights, like in the picture of Australia 2009 that I posted. As soon as they announce the safety car, the race is under 'safety car conditions', even though it obviously take a minute for the car to drive out onto the track. However, none of those indications were there at the end of the race, instead we had green lights everywhere.

It's bloody ridiculous - the radio is a fallback, and they fail all the time, in fact Schumacher had radio issues just before the race start. YOU CANNOT depend on the driver to know which lap they're on through radio. That's why we have flags/ coloured signals. Green - free to race. Yellow - caution, no overttaking. Double waved yellow - go really slow or something. Yellow/ Red (?) oil on track. Black flag - DQ, stop immediately. Red Flag - race stopped. Chequered flag - race over. These are signals for racing drivers that they can read even at 300kph, and now they get them on their steering wheel dashboard. Now with this judgement they are making a mockery of it. Schumacher is supposed to know it's the last lap and therefore he cannot overtake even though there are green flags everywhere? F$%k you FIA.

And what the hell did Kobayashi shook up ?!

That you can actually drive these cars instead of sleepwalking through races waiting for pitstops as drivers seem trained to do these days. A driver who hardly shone in lower series was suddenly the most exciting driver to watch, because he came from a series where qualifying isn't considered more important than the race.

If the cars are so easy to drive Schumacher wouldn't have struggled on the low speed sections, Blundell wouldn't spun the Williams Fw29 on the low speed sections and Lauda wouldn't have spun a 2002 Jaguar twice on the course of 3 laps.

Lauda? How old was he then? 50? 60? 70? Are you seriously saying Monaco wouldn't be much harder with full manual shifting, no power steering, no extreme downforce to keep you glued to the road through high speed sections, more power, the chance to actually damage your engine?

Alonso should not be lauded for this, but these days the car are far more aero sensitive then in the early 90s, there's only 2 tire compounds to chose instead of 4 and performance gaps between the engines are much closer. The days of the 60 to 160-200 horsepower gaps between the engines are gone.

There were no 160-200 hp gaps in 2006, in fact the engines were frozen that year because performance was considered to be similar enough. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Rookies didn't challenge for the title and challenge the reigning two time champion in the same car from their very first race. Sure, Lewis is good and he got lots of testing and simulator time, but there is no way he would jump into F1 that easily in the 80s - early 90s.

Lewis with the a simulator, with current preparation and placed in a dominant McLaren/Williams of the 80s/90s would have challenged for the title as rookie.

In fact Schumacher beat Piquet Snr. at Benetton when both cars finished in late 91, and was 3rd in his first full season -1992-, behind only the dominant Williams Renault cars driven by Mansell and Patrese (who barely got 2nd place). With a Williams-Renault he could could have won the title, or at least fight for it, in his rookie season.

Then there was Hawthorne beating Ascari, rookie Stewart beating Hill when both cars finished in 65, and before that Rosemeyer trashing the field with the impossible to drive Auto Union C type.

So you clearly know Sh#t about F1/GP racing history. But again what the hell am I expecting from you.

And there's nothing wrong with waving green flags all over? Again, I am repeating myself:

By having the signals for safety car conditions - waved yellows, 'SC' boards, yellow lights, like in the picture of Australia 2009 that I posted. As soon as they announce the safety car, the race is under 'safety car conditions', even though it obviously take a minute for the car to drive out onto the track. However, none of those indications were there at the end of the race, instead we had green lights everywhere.

It's bloody ridiculous - the radio is a fallback, and they fail all the time, in fact Schumacher had radio issues just before the race start. YOU CANNOT depend on the driver to know which lap they're on through radio. That's why we have flags/ coloured signals. Green - free to race. Yellow - caution, no overttaking. Double waved yellow - go really slow or something. Yellow/ Red (?) oil on track. Black flag - DQ, stop immediately. Red Flag - race stopped. Chequered flag - race over. These are signals for racing drivers that they can read even at 300kph, and now they get them on their steering wheel dashboard. Now with this judgement they are making a mockery of it. Schumacher is supposed to know it's the last lap and therefore he cannot overtake even though there are green flags everywhere? F$%k you FIA.

If Mercedes and their boys didn't know the rules it wasn't FIA's fault.

That you can actually drive these cars instead of sleepwalking through races waiting for pitstops as drivers seem trained to do these days. A driver who hardly shone in lower series was suddenly the most exciting driver to watch, because he came from a series where qualifying isn't considered more important than the race.

Exciting ?!

There were far more exciting and skilled drivers in the past like Moss, Peterson, Villeneuve who didn't won a WDC (and lost a lot races) because they didn't understood the concept of consistency and scoring points.

Lauda? How old was he then? 50? 60? 70? Are you seriously saying Monaco wouldn't be much harder with full manual shifting, no power steering, no extreme downforce to keep you glued to the road through high speed sections, more power, the chance to actually damage your engine?

Yep.

4000+ shifts at 77 laps vs. 2000+ at 100 laps.

The old Monaco had no Swimming Pool, no Nouvelle Chicane, and the (good) cars were made to go into controlled power slides around some of the corners instead of requiring braking down-shifting and up-shifting like nowadays.

At least the heavy front engined cars were underseery ****ers, but the mid-engined Coopers were simply ridiculous, 100-to-200 kilos lighter they were mostly point and lift around most of the corners.

A contemporary driver with modern preparation would simply destroy the old guys with the old cars.

It was hard because back they didn't know anything about going to a gym, custom diets, nutritional supplements, custom made fitness/workout programs.

Most of the old drivers had a pathetic physical condition, it took M. Schumacher to lift the field from a bunch of amateurs where only Senna and Prost took physical fitness seriously to a field of super-fit highly prepared athletes.

There were no 160-200 hp gaps in 2006, in fact the engines were frozen that year because performance was considered to be similar enough. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Engines were frozen in 2007, in 2006 the Renault and Ferrari engines were superior, their electronics even more so.

A contemporary driver with modern preparation would simply destroy the old guys with the old cars.

It is a fact in (almost) any sport.

Even chess, FFS!!!

In fact Schumacher beat Piquet Snr.

Lewis a good driver is no Schumacher, and Piquet at that time was far past his prime, unlike Alonso.

So you clearly know Sh#t about F1/GP racing history. But again what the hell am I expecting from you.

Let's keep personal attacks out of this shall we? Doesn't help your point..

If Mercedes and their boys didn't know the rules it wasn't FIA's fault.

Ok you're just in denial so I am not going to bother. What exactly do green flags mean for you then, with your extensive knowledge of F1 history? You're the only person I can see who puts the blame entirely on Mercedes and think the FIA rules and conduct is clear and ambiguous. You're just avoiding the point..

4000+ shifts at 77 laps vs. 2000+ at 100 laps.

Shifting is a completely different thing these days with flappy paddles and seamless gearboxes.

It was hard because back they didn't know anything about going to a gym, custom diets, nutritional supplements, custom made fitness/workout programs.

And why wouldn't the old guy get the same preparation in your hypothetical comparison? The current lot don't go into a season wondering which of them won't survive till the end - I am sure the old guys would have traded an exponential increase in the probability of survival for having to sweat a bit in the gym.

Engines were frozen in 2007, in 2006 the Renault and Ferrari engines were superior, their electronics even more so.

Lewis a good driver is no Schumacher, and Piquet at that time was far past his prime, unlike Alonso.

As a pure driver Hamilton is better then Schumacher, ditto for Alonso. They're the closest drivers to Jim Clark since Jim Clark.

Shifting is a completely different thing these days with flappy paddles and seamless gearboxes.

It is, but it doesn't mean the overall driving is easier.

When 6 cars finish in 7 laps then there's hardly any physiological pressure.

Close racing, besides the first 2-3 laps, only happened at the old Monza, and occasionally at the old Silverstone, Österreichring, old Hockenheim, pole position and the start meant little to nothing back then.

As Villeneuve put part of the reason for less mistakes, besides the electronics, is the superior preparation witch was nonexistent 20 years ago. When you're prepared thing look easier.

And why wouldn't the old guy get the same preparation in your hypothetical comparison? The current lot don't go into a season wondering which of them won't survive till the end - I am sure the old guys would have traded an exponential increase in the probability of survival for having to sweat a bit in the gym.

Sport evolves, and the newer athletes will always be superior to the old ones on average.

The old guys were less professional and in the 50s they were hardly professional.

As a pure driver Hamilton is better then Schumacher, ditto for Alonso. They're the closest drivers to Jim Clark since Jim Clark.

:lol: They can learn to drive a car around Monaco on the edge first.

Close racing, besides the first 2-3 laps, only happened at the old Monza, and occasionally at the old Silverstone, Österreichring, old Hockenheim, pole position and the start meant little to nothing back then.

Better than no close racing isn't it :lol: Look at Button, he didn't even try to overtake Schumacher last race, he just gave back and sat back 2 seconds, so he wouldn't even have a chance if Schumacher made a mistake.

And it's pretty hard to make a mistake these days..

Exciting ?!

There were far more exciting and skilled drivers in the past like Moss, Peterson, Villeneuve who didn't won a WDC (and lost a lot races) because they didn't understood the concept of consistency and scoring points.

You're completely incorrect on that account.

They can learn to drive a car around Monaco on the edge first.

WTH the are you talking about ?!

Nobody won driving on the edge at Monaco, qualified yes, won no. Senna tried but then he had his crash in 88, as so did just about every WDC from Fangio and Ascari till the current crop.

Better than no close racing isn't it Look at Button, he didn't even try to overtake Schumacher last race, he just gave back and sat back 2 seconds, so he wouldn't even have a chance if Schumacher made a mistake.

Engine problems.

GP racing was mostly (excluding the recent refueling era) about giving up and taking the points/ conserving the tires/brake/engine rather then going for it if the risk was too much, because it's likely there was nothing that driver could do about it.

It was always like that, those who tried broke their clutch/engines or got themselves killed in the process.

Championships were won mostly via car reliability, racecraft (setup, feedback and car conservation) and consistent points scoring, not via hard driving or taking risks.

To drive fast and to drive conservatively and consistent are 2 different things.

You're completely incorrect on that account.

Moss said he didn't knew about the fact that torque destroys a transmission. He also said he didn't like to turn down the revs at Le Mans because it was boring.

Well Brabham and Co. were boring and knowledgeable.