Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kate's Dirty Sister

Le Mans 1955 Tv Programme

Hey, I don't know if this is the best place to put this but anyway..

There was a great tv programme on BBC4 in the early hours Tuesday morning about the 1955 Le Mans disaster. It was really insightful and I enjoyed watching the old footage. I love to hear about how the cars were in those days, I find it incredible that anyone had the guts to drive cars that fast!! Obviously it's not the most cheery, up beat programme but it's well worth a watch. It was such a horrible disaster but it's good to see the safety we have in motor sport now.

I thought some forum users might like to watch it too, the programme is on BBC iplayer until next Wednesday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sfptx/The_Deadliest_Crash_the_Le_Mans_1955_Disaster/

Hey, I don't know if this is the best place to put this but anyway..

There was a great tv programme on BBC4 in the early hours Tuesday morning about the 1955 Le Mans disaster. It was really insightful and I enjoyed watching the old footage. I love to hear about how the cars were in those days, I find it incredible that anyone had the guts to drive cars that fast!! Obviously it's not the most cheery, up beat programme but it's well worth a watch. It was such a horrible disaster but it's good to see the safety we have in motor sport now.

I thought some forum users might like to watch it too, the programme is on BBC iplayer until next Wednesday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sfptx/The_Deadliest_Crash_the_Le_Mans_1955_Disaster/

That's the core of motorsports right there. That's why we watch. That's why we drink beer in the hot sun waiting for these immortals to speed by us. The farther we go from this, the more we let fear disguised as safety supplant what made this sport so loved, the more we'll get boring races with the only hot discussion being what driver broke what rule.

Welcome, by the way. Post more.

Ooh. I love stuff like this. I'll be watching that today me thinks. Thanks KDS.

Did you catch a few weeks ago on Motors TV the Jim Clark documentary? Was so so awesome. I'll try and upload to youtube for you guys, but will be in parts.

Once again, thanks chick! :D

That's the core of motorsports right there. That's why we watch. That's why we drink beer in the hot sun waiting for these immortals to speed by us. The farther we go from this, the more we let fear disguised as safety supplant what made this sport so loved, the more we'll get boring races with the only hot discussion being what driver broke what rule.

Welcome, by the way. Post more.

Isn't it just! But it still shocks me when I see the old stuff. No seat belts, cork helmets, swigging whiskey before they started racing...and then driving at crazy speeds with crappy brakes! AMAZING!

Ooh. I love stuff like this. I'll be watching that today me thinks. Thanks KDS.

Did you catch a few weeks ago on Motors TV the Jim Clark documentary? Was so so awesome. I'll try and upload to youtube for you guys, but will be in parts.

Once again, thanks chick! :D

I don't have that channel :( So if you could put it on youtube that would be ace! I like watching documentary's about old F1, but I always feel a bit sad I didn't get to see them when they we're alive/in their prime.

I watched it. Normally I'm not one to get "moved" over disasters, but it was strangely moving hearing about the things those who survived went through and the injuries those who passed away suffered of. It was interesting for sure though. Despite only being young, I've come to appreciate the older times of racing and in some cases prefer classic car racing to modern day stuff.

I'm glad you liked it. I love stuff like this but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Old racing sometimes seems miles better but I don't know if that's just because everyone's forgot all the boring things that happened and just remember the best bits.

For me, it's simple. Those cars were allowed to have genuine innovation on them, they looked brilliant (not like the modern day F1 cars of today) and the sound they produced was excellent too.