Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikathegreat2

Fia Gt1 World Championship

Any1 else watch these racing series'?? They're both very good racing series with very close & diverse performance, GT3 especially! This is definately more of an interesting type of racing than F1 or WRC as there are loads of different manufacturers in each series, 6 in GT1 & 10 in GT3. There's a few former F1 stars & failures in GT1 e.g. Grosjean, Salo, Ricardo Zonta, Enrique Bernoldi & GT3 is a stepping stone to the big boys in GT1 but in GT3 there's the best part of 40 cars on the grid, 40!!!

I do hope i'm not the only chap here who watches it & if I am, you guys should watch it. Here's a few links:

http://gt1world.com/

http://gt3europe.com/

GT3's awesome but GT1's a bit of a mess. Ratel's really messed up big time tbh.

Sadly there is no coverage in the U.S. As most everyone seems to know, SPEED TV would rather provide reality shows about NASCAR mechanics' wives than certain forms of racing. (I'm not going to bash NASCAR - for those who like it, more power to you. My gripe is with SPEED's lack of diversity.)

Elsewhere someone was kind enough to send me links to some photos and bits of video he shot at Silverstone. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll bundle them up and post them. Otherwise, it's count down to LeMans... for which, traditionally, SPEED has provided expert coverage.

FIA GT1 and GT3, among many other series, will be included in the SPEED2's programming when it launches this summer. Unfortunately, SPEED2 will be much like ESPN3: subscription-based Internet-only content. SPEED2 will be made available to Time Warner Cable customers first with other cable and satellite providers being added as time goes on. Unfortunately, it's expected to be quite pricey (personally, even if it were available through Comcast, I would only use it if it were 100% free...we already have to pay a lot just to get some Super Deluxe Premium Ultra Mega Package of Fun that includes 12 channels we don't watch and SPEED, which we really only watch for ALMS and Whelen Modifieds now), and none of the series are anything I'd consider worth paying for considering I'd only watch on occasion (Formula 2, Formula 3 Euroseries, DTM, WTCC, etc) or I already can watch without SPEED2 (BTCC).

My one fear with SPEED2, of course, is that they'll exile their ALMS and V8 Supercars coverage already on SPEED to the second channel. Formula 1 is outscored only by Camping World Truck Series on SPEED so, as their second most-watched program, I highly doubt they'd send that over to SPEED2, especially considering what they pay for the rights to air it. MotoGP, too, would likely remain on SPEED as they've upgraded their MotoGP coverage to live. Their goal, though, is to make SPEED even more of a NASCAR channel, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some F1 content sent over to 2, such as free practice (to be quite frank, I've never watched a practice session, so that wouldn't bother me in the least).

SPEED2 would be nice if it were a real TV channel, though, rather than an online one. I'd be completely content with SPEED being for NASCAR (especially if that meant filling in gaps with Le Série NASCAR Canadian Tire and more Whelen Modified coverage) and F1 and SPEED2 being for other motorsport if and only if SPEED2 was available to most providers as part of the same package as SPEED itself on real television.

Of course, Discovery HD Theater (World Rally Care and TT Isle of Man/other bike racing) are still aiming at expanding motorsports coverage, and VERSUS are slowly building up NASCAR programming in addition to their IndyCar and former A1GP coverage, meaning that the more VERSUS gets the rights to, the less SPEED is able to show, clearing up more time for SPEED to show non-NASCAR stuff (they have expanded their touring car and sports car coverage this year, to be fair).

Sorry to steer the topic toward U.S. television stuff, of course.

Eric - Thanks for the info above. I'll email you with a list of 50 questions I have had for some time. ;)

(Seriously, I do have some questions and will contact you.)

On another forum (not a motorsports forum, mind you) I met a young fellow who has a fondness for the U.S. and European sports car series. Goes by the moniker Acos. In the spring he was at Silverstone for the FIA GT race and was good enough to send me photos and a few short videos. I've gathered these up and posted them for anyone who might wish to take a look.

Photos: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S9028DHK

Videos: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q2LU7N6I

One bit of warning. The decibel level of the videos is quite high so you may want to adjust your speakers or headphones before playing them.

I hope Persevere knows these races are shown in the U.S. on Bloomberg, because I sure didn't.

They are streamed live, free of charge, on the GT1 website I believe.

They are streamed live, free of charge, on the GT1 website I believe.

Yep, as for Bloomberg in the EU, all I get is highlights on that channel :angry: ! As for the championship, wowzers, tis getting pretty close & there's never an outright winner in any race anymore, unlike the FIA GT Championship of yesteryear when Vitaphone were bound to win but they finding it tough!

I hope Persevere knows these races are shown in the U.S. on Bloomberg, because I sure didn't.

Bah! Persevere is a doddering old fool; he knows nothing.

I have to say, GT3 interests me far more than GT1 right now. You only have to look at the diversity of the grid to see what a great racing series it is.

• Aston Martin DBRS9
  • Audi R8
  • BMW Z4
  • BMW Alpina B6
  • Corvette Z06
  • Ford GT
  • Lamborghini Gallardo
  • Ferrari F430 Scuderia
  • Ford Mustang
  • Porsche 997

There's some great cars that are rumoured to be or will be joining the series in the next few years too, like the Mercedes SLS, Ferrari 458, Lotus Evora, Ginetta G55, Audi TT and potentially the Jaguar XKR.

The racing is very competitive, the cars look and sound brilliant, and there's so much variety that each car has it's strengths and weaknesses.