Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Football World Cup '10

Now Brazil join Argentina and Holland.

South Latin American teams doing really well this year - nice to see Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Mexico up a the top of their groups. Honduras are the only S. Latin Americans that look like not qualifying.

On the other hand - sad to see so many African teams doing badly. Being in S. Africa, I would have liked to see them do well. Ghana look like the only real possibility for Africa in the knock out stages. They can make sure of it with a draw against Germany. Come on Ghana!

Mexico is actually part of North America, not South America. You've failed me, Atom. :(

Buuuuut...you would beat England 1-v-11 and you did have more DOD votes in 2009 than Felipe Massa and Sir Jackie Stewart combined, so I guess I'll let it go.

Mexico is actually part of North America, not South America. You've failed me, Atom. :(

Buuuuut...you would beat England 1-v-11 and you did have more DOD votes in 2009 than Felipe Massa and Sir Jackie Stewart combined, so I guess I'll let it go.

:lol: - GOOD POINT(S - all of them) ;)

Fixed it now - Latin America fits the bill :thbup:

Also - Honduras is North America - you missed that one. :P

Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo :wub:

I knew it! You just couldn't resist the vision of the new Adonis running his fingers over his shampoo-selling hair under the rain (the guy is a walking TV ad!)

In a half serious note, cosmic balance slowly is restored, despite the enormous efforts from Asia and Africa, they are both condemned to a short but glorious career in this World Cup. In the end, it will once again come down to the timeless struggle between Europe and Southamerica for World dominance of the Javulani, under the soothing sound of the vuvuzelas...

Oh no, not you, France, you royally screwed it up this time. Go home.

Portugal :wub:

Hey, you told me you didn't watch football! What's that :wub: deal? I think Andrés got you...

I knew it! You just couldn't resist the vision of the new Adonis running his fingers over his shampoo-selling hair under the rain (the guy is a walking TV ad!)

In a half serious note, cosmic balance slowly is restored, despite the enormous efforts from Asia and Africa, they are both condemned to a short but glorious career in this World Cup. In the end, it will once again come down to the timeless struggle between Europe and Southamerica for World dominance of the Javulani, under the soothing sound of the vuvuzelas...

Ahahahah!

France always suck :whistling:

:lol:

Hey, you told me you didn't watch football! What's that :wub: deal? I think Andrés got you...

Ahahahah!

France always suck :whistling:

Well I don't usually watch football! Only about once every 4 years actually Tanita :D I just can't stand 'normal' football games, it's boring to me, and there are far too many games and championships and leagues and whatever to watch. I like the World Cup because it's important though, and I know the general standard of play should be higher than usual (shame on you, France).

I guess ultimately I am just a sporting snob, I only ever watch the most important championships or series'. Like I only watch F1 because that's what I feel is the best single seater racing; and I only watch the World Cup because that's the best football tournament; and I only watch tennis when it's a grand slam and Federer or some other reputable player is playing etc.

Like I only watch F1 because that's what I feel is the best single seater racing

Ah, that explains it. No wonder you thought Asmer was so good; you weren't watching the junior series! :P

Actually, though, I really only watch the World Cup, too. So little actually gets shown in the United States (at least live/normal times) and there are just too many leagues where the top players are spread out. It's a lot easier for me with ice hockey because nearly all the best players from the world play in the NHL; while there are good players in the Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, etc leagues, most of them will end up in North America if they're really all that good simply because there's a lot more money in ice hockey here. Football, well...it's just too hard to pick a league to follow when there are so many good ones, and the easiest to follow for me (the MLS) isn't one of them. :lol:

Ah, that explains it. No wonder you thought Asmer was so good; you weren't watching the junior series! :P

Actually, though, I really only watch the World Cup, too. So little actually gets shown in the United States (at least live/normal times) and there are just too many leagues where the top players are spread out. It's a lot easier for me with ice hockey because nearly all the best players from the world play in the NHL; while there are good players in the Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, etc leagues, most of them will end up in North America if they're really all that good simply because there's a lot more money in ice hockey here. Football, well...it's just too hard to pick a league to follow when there are so many good ones, and the easiest to follow for me (the MLS) isn't one of them. :lol:

Don't mock Asmer! :P He was the man back in the days when I did watch F3!

Yep there's way too much football over here for me to bother keeping track of, it's just massively over-saturated imo. The World Cup is a nice, compact, easy format to follow for like a month so I don't mind that.

...and I only watch the World Cup because that's the best football tournament...

Actually - Champions league is probably the best in terms of footballing quality, but...

...The World Cup is a nice, compact, easy format to follow for like a month so I don't mind that.

This is very true - and once every 4 years is just about right.

Any way - I was previously mistaken - mathematically Argentina aren't though yet. They could lose to Greece by a lot of goals and S.Korea could win against Nigeria by a lot of goals. Greece, Argentina and S.Korea would all be on 6 points with Argentina loosing out on goal difference - unlikely, but possible.

SO...

2nd round over and the following teams are through:

Holland

Brazil

The following teams are out:

Cameroon

N.Korea

That's it!

First teams into the last 16...

Uruguay v S.Korea

Argentina v Mexico

England to fail tonight - best to put this year behind them - fast.

I predict another draw and Slovenia and USA to go through.

That's South Korea, actually, though officially "Korea Republic" for sporting purposes.

Uruguay should be able to make the final eight now. I was not expecting that!

Hopefully Slovenia and U.S. go for Group C.

Group D...hmm. I expect Serbia to beat Australia, giving them 6 points, so they should be going. I imagine Germany can beat Ghana, too.

I'll say Denmark join Netherlands in Group E.

Paraguay and Italy for Group F, as Paraguay will end New Zealand's heroic awesomeness.

Portgual will join Brazil from G, though they'll lose to Brazil in the match.

H could be interesting...if Spain play for realz and beat Chile, and Switzerland just put 11 people on the field to beat Honduras, we'll have three teams at 6 points.

That's South Korea, actually, though officially "Korea Republic" for sporting purposes.

Uruguay should be able to make the final eight now. I was not expecting that!

Hopefully Slovenia and U.S. go for Group C.

Group D...hmm. I expect Serbia to beat Australia, giving them 6 points, so they should be going. I imagine Germany can beat Ghana, too.

I'll say Denmark join Netherlands in Group E.

Paraguay and Italy for Group F, as Paraguay will end New Zealand's heroic awesomeness.

Portgual will join Brazil from G, though they'll lose to Brazil in the match.

H could be interesting...if Spain play for realz and beat Chile, and Switzerland just put 11 people on the field to beat Honduras, we'll have three teams at 6 points.

Thanks! :D

Agree with you - Uruguay should beat S.Korea and go through to final 8. Argentina should join them easily enough.

Group C - USA and Slovenia will probably go through - I don't see the current England team beating anyone right now.

Group D - Germany Ghana is a tricky one - it'll be an open game because Germany must go for the win. Ghana would be happy with a draw. Klose is out and Podolski looked unconvincing without him against Serbia. On the other hand we could see another Portugal/N.Korea style game with Germany thrashing Ghana.

I would like Ghana to qualify TBH - they're the only African team with a real chance of doing so.

I'm not going to predict it - anything could happen.

Group E - Holland are though but the crucial Denmark - Japan match will be a good watch.

Group F - I would so love the Kiwis to beat Paraguay, but that isn't going to happen, so yes Paraguay and Italy to go through. Italy have been as poor as England, but they had the luck to be in an even less competitive group (how is that possible?).

Group G - Agreed, although Brazil may rest some players which might give Portugal a chance at the draw.

Group H - Fun fun fun. Probably Chile + Spain to go through but Chile + Switzerland is a very real possibility if Spain only manage a draw. :o

Now having said all that, no doubt we'll end up with...

C - England + Algeria

D - Ghana + Australia

E - Holland + Japan

F - NZ + Slovakia

G - Brazil + Ivory Coast

H - Chile + Switzerland

20 minutes left in the england game and they're going to throw it away. 1-0 up and they won't hang on.

4 minutes left in the World Cup for the United States and, while I don't feel they deserved to go to the knockout round anyway (England just deserved it less), I can't help but feel as though this is all the refs fault. Two disallowed goals that would have put them first in their group had they been counted. I didn't see the one today so I can't comment...the one against Slovenia, however...was a goal.

Oh well.

4 minutes left in the World Cup for the United States and, while I don't feel they deserved to go to the knockout round anyway (England just deserved it less), I can't help but feel as though this is all the refs fault. Two disallowed goals that would have put them first in their group had they been counted. I didn't see the one today so I can't comment...the one against Slovenia, however...was a goal.

Oh well.

Looks like you spoke too soon! :D

Blimey - last gasp goal from USA puts them top of the group. England go through 2nd. Poor poor Slovenia.

England will have another chance to embarrass themselves on Sunday.

That's it.

I'm getting my gun, getting in my pick-em-up truck, and going to KFC. THEY WON THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!111111

To an extent, at least.

I'm really pulling for Ghana now because the U.S. team can "gana" over Ghana (ganar = to win in Spanish, ganaría = what George has/that tense I needed to know for my exam but stopped caring what it meant in English...conditional tense or something, what do I care, I've met my foreign language requirement and will never leave suburban white people Massachusetts anyway. Woo for being uncultured! But everyone already knew what ganar meant without me explaining other than Atom who thinks Canada just beat Al Jazeera 1-0 to win Group C, sending another Antarctic nation to the knockout round :P). But beyond that horrible thing that wasn't a joke, I'd much rather face Ghana than Germany. And if Ghana did beat the U.S. it wouldn't bother me because at least they're underdogs.

Also, could you have a worse image on the front page of Yahoo? Without the bottom halves you may as well assume that, considering their facial expressions, they're actually having butt...er-friend corn dogs for dinner because aren't we all? You thought I was going to say buttsex, didn't you? That's what I thought I was going to say, too, actually.

win-pd.jpg

Blimey - last gasp goal from USA puts them top of the group. England go through 2nd. Poor poor Slovenia.

England will have another chance to embarrass themselves on Sunday.

well what can i say, sad day for us but this is football...congrats to england and usa. hope england goes all the way, would love to see them winning the cup. But they will need to show a lot more!

well what can i say, sad day for us but this is football...congrats to england and usa. hope england goes all the way, would love to see them winning the cup. But they will need to show a lot more!

Sorry UrKo.

I think England played better last night, but I think over the 3 games Slovenia deserved to go through.

England's play tonight wasn't particularly tidy, but I think they realised that if they kept the pace high (like USA during their 2 goal comeback) Slovenia would struggle. hat said, Slovenia created a few nice chances towards the end of the game. They can leave the tournament with heads held high.

England can keep that old tradition alive - losing on penalties to Germany. (Though I get the impression they won't even make it to penalties.)

Argentina look increasingly convincing for the win. Them or Brazil. My tip (Spain) have yet to impress.

Here we gooo!

Nigeria

South Korea

Greece

Mexico (will soon be Mexico)

bring all of them on!!!!

Go, Argentina, Go!

Argentina look good to go all the way. Oponents are so scared of Messi that he's pulling in 3 defenders which frees up the rest of the attacking line.

Canada just beat Al Jazeera 1-0 to win Group C, sending another Antarctic nation to the knockout round :P.

Yeah that was a good game - and respect to the Polar Bears for getting through.:thbup:

Can't quite find Al Jazeera on the map, but its next to Scotland right?

I just realised that if England beat Germany (unlikely), they'll then get Argentina. Ha!

Argentina look increasingly convincing for the win. Them or Brazil. My tip (Spain) have yet to impress.

Spain's problem is lack of stamina. You watch a few matches of Euro2008 and you immediately see the difference. That's a difficult problem at the moment, if they get to next round they could improve bit by bit or it could get worse. There are stronger teams and you've mentioned only a few of them.

I'm happy with USA in the next round, they deserved it by a bigger margin. Now they could reach semifinals. Sometimes I don't know whether FIFA's referees are FIA's stewards or what. England - Germany, Argentina - Mexico...

Let's see what happens with the rest of the teams.