Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Football World Cup '10

Spain's problem is lack of stamina. You watch a few matches of Euro2008 and you immediately see the difference. That's a difficult problem at the moment, if they get to next round they could improve bit by bit or it could get worse. There are stronger teams and you've mentioned only a few of them.

I'm happy with USA in the next round, they deserved it by a bigger margin. Now they could reach semifinals. Sometimes I don't know whether FIFA's referees are FIA's stewards or what. England - Germany, Argentina - Mexico...

Let's see what happens with the rest of the teams.

Yep - a lot of the big European sides look drained.

There are a variety of theories - altitude of their home base / southern hemisphere spins the wrong way / pooped from the European season / blah blah blah.

This year looks like a S.American year to me.

Argentina's only fear is an attacking line that can put their (slightly shakey) defense under pressure. Its the only way I see them cracking. Funnily enough - that might be Spain's job.

Yep - a lot of the big European sides look drained.

There are a variety of theories - altitude of their home base / southern hemisphere spins the wrong way / pooped from the European season / blah blah blah.

Yep, none of them are doing great atm.

In Spain's case add to those theories a few not fully or very recently recovered injuries. Xavi, Iniesta, Torres, Çesc, Ramos and a few others I think. Spanish newspapers never say the truth, they try to keep everybody optimistic as much as they can. They don't talk about these problems openly to the people, they normaly blame the coach.

In the European teams I think Holland could do a great Championship. USA can do much better than expected if they believe and are lucky with referees. Argentina and Brazil classic.

Sorry UrKo.

I think England played better last night, but I think over the 3 games Slovenia deserved to go through.

England's play tonight wasn't particularly tidy, but I think they realised that if they kept the pace high (like USA during their 2 goal comeback) Slovenia would struggle. hat said, Slovenia created a few nice chances towards the end of the game. They can leave the tournament with heads held high.

England can keep that old tradition alive - losing on penalties to Germany. (Though I get the impression they won't even make it to penalties.)

Argentina look increasingly convincing for the win. Them or Brazil. My tip (Spain) have yet to impress.

True. England played much better last night, but still far from what they're are capable to do.

I think this tradition will end. my money is on england. Not sure why, but i dont think germany will beat them. For sure it will be The game of the tournament. Can't wait :rolleyes:

I just realised that if England beat Germany (unlikely), they'll then get Argentina. Ha!

Keeps getting better and better for england :)

Slovakia 3 - Italy 2

Paraguay 0 - NZ 0

Boy oh boy. Now Italy join France at the bottom of their respective groups.

2006 finalists both out in the first round - at least Italy managed 2 pts rather than just 1 though. :thbup:

It all makes me feel slightly better about England's awful performance. :D

Paraguay and Slovakia through. Happy for both of them. On balance Paraguay deserve top spot and Slovakia did play better than Italy today.

I was in Slovakia last summer. Its tiny. Bratislava is the smallest capital in Europe and its really really small.

Shame NZ couldn't get a goal against Paraguay, but the S.Americans did deserve to go through.

NZ can be proud of themselves - they mixed it up with far more established teams and came away with 3 draws. Their defenders and keeper were excellent in all 3 games.

France

Italy

soon

England or Germany.

1st of the fantastic4 out of the cup ( fantastic4: Brasil, germany, Italy and Argentina)

This cup is a southamerican business!!!!

Watched the match between Italy and Slovakia. What really amazes me of these teams is the total lack of self pride. At no moment during the match Italy seemed to say "Ok, we are playing awful, but we have a long and illustrious career behind and we are the reigning champions so let's do it!". The team seemed as apathic as Greece against Argentina. Teams with no desire to win whatsoever, just content with not losing (and Greece did a far more better job at that than Italy).

No hunger for glory at all, so they deserve to be in Rome by tomorrow.

American teams look so fresh while Europeans look so exhausted...

I can't see Spain having a good day against Chile. Honestly.

BTW, they should leave Italy and France in the jungle and go back to Paris and Rome on foot.

Same thing for Spain if they can't beat Chile tomorrow.

URUGUAY vs. KOREA -- USA vs. GHANA ---- GERMANY vs. ENGLAND -- ARGENTINA vs. MEXICO

NETHERLANDS vs. SLOVAKIA -- BRASIL vs. CHILE ---- PARAGUAY vs. JAPAN -- SPAIN vs. PORTUGAL

Perhaps some of what I want to happen got mixed in ;)

Perhaps, but its not too improbable. I was just looking at our predictions from the start...

We both got 11 out of the last 16. Not awful, but not that great either.

Perhaps, but its not too improbable. I was just looking at our predictions from the start...

We both got 11 out of the last 16. Not awful, but not that great either.

Looks like the U.S.A. was what I wanted. :(

Watching that game was like watching Boston Bruins ice hockey...you can't create that many scoring chances and not score! Findley blew it early...totally in the open and he hesitates. If you're going to slow it down, you have to do something magic...but no, he slows it down, lets the goaltender position himself, and he just kicks it right to him. What was that? You have to be creative if you're going to slow down like that. Jozy Altidore...I was hoping he'd get a goal; I really like him and he has potential with all that speed.

It's frustrating because you can't say "man, they blew it!" They played well...but they start off flat and if you don't bring it from 0:00 on, well, you get what's coming to you I suppose. Good on Ghana...not expecting them to advance like that. The future does worry me for the team...Donovan and Dempsey will be 32 and 31 respectively in the next World Cup, so we'll have to see who emerges (perhaps Altidore will get better at scoring).

Looks like I'm supporting the underdogs now, though my dream final would really be Argentina and Netherlands as they're two of my favorites. Argentina/Mexico on national television tomorrow afternoon...should be fun.

And I just hope England get eliminated...no offense to England fans and nothing against the nation...their players just bother me and I don't think they deserve to be in the 16 (then again, the U.S. didn't play that well either).

I have to say, I'm more into football now than ever at the very least...I might actually go to some matches when I can (granted, it's MLS, but it would be cool to see Henry when he plays 15 min from my house...I wish the World Cup would come here in 2018 so I could go as they would play at my local stadium as well, considering they did in 1994).

Just woke up to see the result of the USA game - sorry Eric.

Nevermind - USA did well this year and there's always 2014.

Just woke up to see the result of the USA game - sorry Eric.

They deserved a better result but Ghana got a couple of good shots. That was it.

It can happen to any team.

USA have improved a lot since 1994, they won against Spain and could have beaten Brazil in the Confederations Cup last year, they're a good team, they have a likeable style of play, they will be even stronger in Brazil 2014. No worries Eric, USA will have a great team soon.

I actually rooted for USA this time..you were the underdogs, for once :P

They have talented guys, now they need to learn the ropes, some street wisdom that only comes with time. The team has some interesting players, and I liked their fighting spirit. But sometimes they fell prey to their own naivete. Yet, they are improving and improving fast. A more than decorous performance in a WC where most teams didn't live up to the expectations they raised.

Not having the U.S.A. in it does have an advantage...now I can just enjoy the games without the emotional roller-coaster of really supporting a team. I didn't expect to get behind my national team as I did; I usually don't. Maybe it was the cheesy ESPN ads that did it for me...(admit it, you liked it, too).

I'm really looking forward to the Spain v. Portugal match. That should be a really good one, though I'm not sure who I'd prefer to win. I think Spain just because of not wanting to see Ronaldo win.

Ahahahhahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahahahahhaha. Ha.

4-1!

:)

Can't wait for Argentina-Mexico now. Argentina are my favorite "good team," but at the same time, Mexico are underdogs and have been playing well and I like them, too. So I just hope for an exciting match.

And England follow the USA straight out :)

Got thumped too.

TBH they never looked cnvincing and when your super-sub plays with his shins rather than feet you know you're in trouble. :D

Absolutely shocking performance from England - even a terrible disallowed goal is no excuse.

That's the problem when all referees that lived through WWII died. :lol:

BTW another dismal performance from the referee in the Argentina vs Mexico game. Too bad. These guys shouldn't be in the WC in first place (the referees, I mean)

Football really needs to be updated and allow for reviewing decisions. Otherwise these shameful performances will continue.

It hurt Mexico (and England) badly. And they also tainted Germany and Argentina's victories (which I think they would have achieved cleanly anyways)

That's the problem when all referees that lived through WWII died. :lol:

BTW another dismal performance from the referee in the Argentina vs Mexico game. Too bad. These guys shouldn't be in the WC in first place (the referees, I mean)

Football really needs to be updated and allow for reviewing decisions. Otherwise these shameful performances will continue.

It hurt Mexico (and England) badly. And they also tainted Germany and Argentina's victories (which I think they would have achieved cleanly anyways)

:lol:

Yep, more of the same controversy in the Argentina - Mexico match. Football does need to bring in technology if the refereeing system is going to get it so wrong on such a big stage. Football has moved forward as an industry massively but the methods of refereeing haven't, that seems bizarre even to a casual fan like myself.

Football does need to bring in technology if the refereeing system is going to get it so wrong on such a big stage. Football has moved forward as an industry massively but the methods of refereeing haven't, that seems bizarre even to a casual fan like myself.

Just have video replay for disputed goal decisions and penalties. It might be used 3 or 4 times a game and would take seconds. Easy.

Saying that - England deserved to loose the game anyway.

Their defense was on holiday for 3 of the 4 Germany goals and how is Heskey supposed to help matters when they're 2 goals down? - the boy has absolutely no control or skill and doesn't even make intelligent runs. Might as well stick a post in the ground and hope things bounce off it in a fortuitous fashion. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a conspiracy. Those FIFA guys just don't want England to win again and have let the cheating Krauts get away with it.