Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV Follower Only

Driver'S Prize Money.

Hi Guys,

I hope the guy who knows some "old farts" may add one more to his list of acquaintances.

Something has bothered me recently- mostly because it has never occurred to me before.

Why are the cash prizes that go with some of the ghastly trophies never mentioned? Or any of them

for that matter.

I can understand that back in 1953 when I last attended a GP at Goodwood it was "infra dig" to

discuss such things, but surely not now in this totally materialistic world. Not particularly in this sport

where a certain person was able to notch up so many unquestioned Driver's Champion laurels?

I normally watch GP.s recorded - to cut out the boring bits, this is easy with this year's format,

(but not last Sunday's Turkish race - I watched the lot.) But I do enjoy the closing stages of

qualifying 1 & 2 and the whole of Qual 3 immensely. I bet a lot of you guys do this - don't you?

This and the informative discussions with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan are a must for me.

Jake was new to me this year and has taken the link man's role very smoothly indeed.

BUT never a mention of the prizes. We all know each year what's on offer at Wimbledon.

All horse racing prizes are known so we can have a good guess what successful jockeys

earn. All the prizes for the World's Open Golf championships are (and that's a cleaner sport

than motor racing - which many, by the way, do not consider to be a sport in any case). We know

that top soccer players are paid tens of thousands per week and 10% of their transfer fee (and some

of them even miss an open goal) so what's special about racing drivers?

So why does everybody Not Mention The Cash? Are there rules about NMTC ? If this is so who wrote

the rules for NMTC ?

OK I know someone will want to say "it happened during 'the boring bits' so you missed it".

But come on Guys, if anyone knows something really authentic and reasonably up to date

please reply. Then I can easily count what I believe will be a deafening silence.

TV Follower Only

Welcome aboard TVFO.

I would like to know about what you said. I hear something about money but I don't know how it works, is it for the win? For every point in the championship? Does it work same way for teams? How?

Great question.

I always thought F1 drivers got paid upon contract, and wins etc are bonused. I have a mate who used to work for Honda a few years back, and they were paid flat rate plus bonuses for points\wins - I remember him saying he was skint with the earthcar though!

I dunno. Should we ask. I mean, would you post your salary here?

The famous 'Concorde Agreement' which the teams and and F1 Rulers sign is ultra-secret and not for public consumption.

The knowledge of the price of anything is frowned upon within F1.

There is a prize fund for each race which is most of the budget needed to host a round of F1. 10% goes to Bernie and 90% to the teams. A third of the teams money is paid out according to ranking over last '2 half seasons' another sizable percentage is paid out for Qualifying, and the remainder approx 45% is the actual race position prizes. This money goes to the teams who pay, depending on contracts, their drivers bonuses etc.

The whole circus generated $2 Billion a year, approx half is the teams Prize Fund, over 19 races, therefore approx $50 mil a race.

The big teams make money, the midfield break even, and the charlies struggle....that's life in F1.

The big teams make money, the midfield break even, and the charlies struggle....that's life in F1.

That's life everywhere.

Thank you, NF.

That's life everywhere.

Thank you, NF.

Indeed.

Welcome TVFO (thanks Ale), I think NuFlyer has provided you with most of the answer.

I think it works like this: the circuits, or GP's, don't themselves have any prize money for winning their event, they only give out a trophy (as oppose to Wimbledon, for example). The FOM do have prize money, which goes to the teams as Nuflyer explained. It is then the job of the teams and their drivers to negotiate any performance bonuses in a driver's contract, for example x amount of extra money for a win, or a podium, or a pole etc. My guess is smaller teams offer rewards for good performance, whereas the larger teams don't because they are already paying their drivers a lot, e.g. when Kimi Raikkonen was at Ferrari I doubt they were paying him bonuses for wins, poles, etc because it is expected of a top driver in a top team.

I normally watch GP.s recorded - to cut out the boring bits,

Sorry, not reading anymore, goodbye.

Sorry, not reading anymore, goodbye.

correct...

Which begs the question.....

Which fan would watch higlights of F1 and wonder about F1 driver prize money, so much that it bothers him?......weird

In response to Brad, in my experience it's the "Heh! WTF do they get payed so much for just driving around in circles?! That's easy!" people who underestimate the talents these guys have.

The prize? 25 points for victory!

If you mean in terms of what they are payed though, in terms of contracts, no idea. I know Ferrari payed a bucketload to sign Kimi and payed a bucketload to dump him one year early though.

I thought he meant the prize for winning the race like in Indycar and all series that I know(don't know about F1), they always have metallic prizes which mean cash, I heard not sure what series was that when any driver recieve this money they share it with the mechanics so they are more motivated to work, probably F1 works different.

correct...

Which begs the question.....

Which fan would watch higlights of F1 and wonder about F1 driver prize money, so much that it bothers him?......weird

Bad form, old boy! Don't pick on the newbie!

But if we're being snarky, then please, allow me:

It's interesting to note that the term 'beg the question' means 'to presuppose an answer to a question'.

Here's an example: The question "What time will you pick me up from school?" begs the question "Will you pick me up from school?". That is to say, the former implicitly presupposes an answer to the latter without ever asking it.

What you mean to say is "Which prompts the question..."

:mf_tongue:

I thought he meant the prize for winning the race like in Indycar and all series that I know(don't know about F1), they always have metallic prizes which mean cash, I heard not sure what series was that when any driver recieve this money they share it with the mechanics so they are more motivated to work, probably F1 works different.

They don't get payed for winning races though, only by their teams. That's all I know about it.

Well, I remember reading an article in an Australian newspaper highlighting the fact that if Ferrari win the Constructor's Championship they get a much larger reward than if any other team wins the Constructor's.

So I have no bloody clue what's going on there.

Well, I remember reading an article in an Australian newspaper highlighting the fact that if Ferrari win the Constructor's Championship they get a much larger reward than if any other team wins the Constructor's.

So... If Ferrari win the Constructor's Championship it would cost Bernie a much larger amount of money? eusa_think.gif

No wonder why they're screwed this season.

@TV Follower Only: Why is this important? Are you a tax collector?

Ferrari get more money than the rest no matter what position they finish in (I've forgotten the actual percentage and manner of calculating that percentage). It's due to their 'historic' standing within the sport.

So... If Ferrari win the Constructor's Championship it would cost Bernie a much larger amount of money? eusa_think.gif

No wonder why they're screwed this season.

Clever. I like it.

Just more proof on the ever growing pile of proof that F1 is a farce.

:ph34r:

[quote name='HandyNZL' date='04 July 2010 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1278236042' post='320286']
Just more proof on the ever growing pile of proof that F1 is a farce.[/quote]

[img]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/576/rearwingspainpj0.jpg[/img]
Not only is it a 2008-spec rear wing, it also adds yet another terminology for the Gurney device that Bruce McLaren might have invented. It's a TF1-two-for-one (get it? TF1 [b]T[/b]wo [b]F[/b]or [b]1[/b] lolz) of supreme inside humor! And all I had to do to find it was Google "McLaren MP4-23 rear wing." AND IT PROVES F1 IS A FARCE AND IT PROMPTS QUESTIONS THAT BEG QUESTIONS THAT BEG SILAS TALBOT TO POST MORE (he should).

Ferrari should be paid more to win the WCC. They bring the fans. Someone once asked someone else "how much do you think NASCAR is worth?" The second someone guessed some billion. The first someone then said "take away the big teams...how much is it worth?" The second someone said one dollar. The first someone was someone thinking of starting a breakaway league for context, and the second someone was Ed Hinton. Point being...Ferrari are the entertainers hired by F1 to bring people in. They win, more people watch. Schumacher should be paid for winning the WDC more than Sutil. Ferrari should be paid more for winning the WCC than Virgin. F1 loses when underdogs win.

Sure, it sounds unfair on paper (how can one "sound" on paper?), but communism sounds fair on paper (in Soviet Russia, things probably can sound on paper so I won't question my grammar there...lolz Soviet Russia jokes aren't funny and don't make sense) and it actually sucks.

Besides, it's not like they're getting paid unequally for equal work. It's harder work for Ferrari to win the WCC when they have to deal with Alonso for all those months. On top of that, their equal work gives bigger results, so the work isn't really equal. They won a WCC and boosted TV ratings...so they really deserve more.

And you agree! How convenient.

How could we not agree with you, Eric? You're just such a joy. If you were filled with a soft gooey, nice tasting chocolaty inside...well....we'd all just eat you right up. :P