Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persevere

Grand Prix Du Canada

Just a fine for Lewis.

"Hamilton reprimanded after qualifying

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 20:54 GMT

Lewis Hamilton was fined and reprimanded by the Canadian Grand Prix stewards following qualifying for the Montreal event.

Right after securing pole position, Hamilton was instructed by his McLaren team to stop the car on track as he was nearly out of fuel and some of it was still needed for the sample for the post-qualifying inspection.

Hamilton stopped his engine but kept his car moving while he seated on top of it as he celebrated his first pole of the year. He then got off the car and started pushing it.

The stewards deemed Hamilton had exceeded the maximum time set to return to the pits after the end of qualifying, and the Briton was fined USD10,000 and given a reprimand."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84404

If they only earned points per each reprimand...the guy would be already this year's WDC :P

If they only earned points per each reprimand...the guy would be already this year's WDC :P

Just be patient, he'll be the WDC this year anyway :P

But of course he will. After 3 (or 4?) "reprimands" even blind Alonso and Schumi fanboys got the message.

But of course he will. After 3 (or 4?) "reprimands" even blind Alonso fanboys got the message.

finally you see the light...:P

Nuh-uh. *shakes head*

are they selling WDC title? coz thats the only way he can become one this year :mf_tongue::lol:

are they selling WDC title? coz thats the only way he can become one this year :mf_tongue::lol:

Of course they are selling it... as they always have.

But you are right. FIA and McLaren are going to have to do much, much, much more for Hamilton to take the WDC.

I keep thinking about what The Professor said "Just a fine for Lewis", you see? "Just a fine"... ah, if only Schumacher were 10% of what Hamilton is, he would've gotten "just a fine" in Monaco... but the greats are what they are, untouchable, and Schumacher is nothing next to Hamilton.

Dream a dream, rest of the lot, dream a dream.

It's a cool, overcast start to the day in Montreal. By race time we should see a mix of sun and clouds with temperatures between 21 and 25 degrees C. As of early a.m. the likelihood for rain this afternoon is no more than 20%. Soft compound tires may provide a bit more life than usual; hard compound may be difficult to bring up to temperature.

It's a cool, overcast start to the day in Montreal. By race time we should see a mix of sun and clouds with temperatures between 21 and 25 degrees C. As of early a.m. the likelihood for rain this afternoon is no more than 20%. Soft compound tires may provide a bit more life than usual; hard compound may be difficult to bring up to temperature.

rain rain rain pleeeeeease.

(I'd like to see more than 20% :()

Just look how far he was in the score and now he is only 9 point behind the leader, yes I know he is still behind but he is climbing the order race by race and if everything goes right today he'll be closer to the top or even leading the WDC, nothing for sale, he've been the best driver so far this season, everyone should see that.

But of course he will. After 3 (or 4?) "reprimands" even blind Alonso and Schumi fanboys got the message.

It would be and yet it is still stupid to penalized Hamilton for this incedent for several reasons being the main one that he was following orders from his team, in that case the team should be penalized not LH, the other next main reason is that LH was the last driver on a flying lap and teh session was over, he didn't blocked any one and noone was behind him, teh rule ablu the in lap was created to avoid driver from blocking driver "who are on a flying lap" and there was none, yes, I know you can say, but the rule say...also teh rules on the street say and police can give warning instead of a ticket because they are not robot following a programmation, they have a brain to use it and make some discernment on some situations and FIA stewards are suppose to do the same, that's my opinion anyway, I know it doesn't count much but it helps me to be bussy until the race start :P

Yep in this case the reprimand was the correct decision. It seems fairly clear that it was a mistake by the team, they weren't trying anything on, so to speak. The problem is the precedent it sets, teams might think $10,000 is a small price to pay for carrying less fuel, as pointed out in James Allen's blog:

"Rather than delete his fastest time, which would have dropped him to fourth place, he was fined $10,000 by the stewards, one of whom is Emerson Fittipaldi. This sets an unfortunate precedent, which some teams might seek to exploit in Spa and even Suzuka later this year. There a lap of fuel is worth a tenth and a half; some teams might well feel is worth spending ten grand to avoid carrying that." Source

I think what would perhaps be better is if the FIA clarified that if any team makes a similar mistake, the driver will incur a penalty to nip such fuel saving tactics in the bud.

Yep in this case the reprimand was the correct decision. It seems fairly clear that it was a mistake by the team, they weren't trying anything on, so to speak. The problem is the precedent it sets, teams might think $10,000 is a small price to pay for carrying less fuel, as pointed out in James Allen's blog:

"Rather than delete his fastest time, which would have dropped him to fourth place, he was fined $10,000 by the stewards, one of whom is Emerson Fittipaldi. This sets an unfortunate precedent, which some teams might seek to exploit in Spa and even Suzuka later this year. There a lap of fuel is worth a tenth and a half; some teams might well feel is worth spending ten grand to avoid carrying that." Source

I think what would perhaps be better is if the FIA clarified that if any team makes a similar mistake, the driver will incur a penalty to nip such fuel saving tactics in the bud.

I agree it was a "mistake" from the team, not from LH (at least, not mainly his). I say "mistake" because the "miscommunication" excuse is getting really old and I find it hard to excuse McLaren in this time. Even more so when there was no possibility of playing the "unclear rule" card here. The rule was reminded to all the teams less than 24hs ago and it wasn't just a FIA memo as MW says. The FIA stated that the incident was a breach of rule 15.1 which includes all "FIA memos" like this as valid rules. So, they blatantly breached a rule. A U$S 10,000 is a joke. The precedent is a joke and saying that any other team can't get an advantage because it would make an isolate incident as a systematic one is rather rich, coming from the team that is leading the reprimands leaderboard.

My take: penalty shouldn't have been dealt to LH (but it was), reprimands should someday become an actual penalty or plainly avoided, and a harsher punishment should have been delivered to McLaren for making a calculated breach of the rules. Unlike MGP/Schumi move at Monaco which might have been a lack of judgement or confusion about an unclear rule but it was clearly something that happened in fractions of seconds, this time they had an entire lap to calculate the fuel remaining, notice that he would not make it and calmly instruct Hamilton to turn off the engine after crossing the line to have 1 litre left for inspection. This was anything but innocent.

I agree it was a "mistake" from the team, not from LH (at least, not mainly his). I say "mistake" because the "miscommunication" excuse is getting really old and I find it hard to excuse McLaren in this time. Even more so when there was no possibility of playing the "unclear rule" card here. The rule was reminded to all the teams less than 24hs ago and it wasn't just a FIA memo as MW says. The FIA stated that the incident was a breach of rule 15.1 which includes all "FIA memos" like this as valid rules. So, they blatantly breached a rule. A U$S 10,000 is a joke. The precedent is a joke and saying that any other team can't get an advantage because it would make an isolate incident as a systematic one is rather rich, coming from the team that is leading the reprimands leaderboard.

My take: penalty shouldn't have been dealt to LH (but it was), reprimands should someday become an actual penalty or plainly avoided, and a harsher punishment should have been delivered to McLaren for making a calculated breach of the rules. Unlike MGP/Schumi move at Monaco which might have been a lack of judgement or confusion about an unclear rule but it was clearly something that happened in fractions of seconds, this time they had an entire lap to calculate the fuel remaining, notice that he would not make it and calmly instruct Hamilton to turn off the engine after crossing the line to have 1 litre left for inspection. This was anything but innocent.

You are absolutely right but this has nothing to do with Hamilton, Mclaren should have been penalized for this like you said not Hamilton, what I really think it happened here is that Hamilton went for an extra lap, he crossed the finish line with just a couple of seconds left and he went for the pole as he crossed the line just in time for another lap and his previous lap was not a good one, don't know if he did it on his own (in which case he is guilty of the situation) or if he was instructed by the team to go for it and this is what it seems to be the case to me.

I am not so sure of that QO. I think mistakes can happen and if Mclaren had been trying this on, then why now? Did they only just realise this possible advantage? There is nothing special about a pole in Canada and Mclaren don't need this pole position desperately (like how Renault needed a win in 2008), so it would seem pointless to do it and risk a penalty of some sort (unless you believe Mclaren were so confident of the FIA's reaction).

I think it's entirely possible Mclaren simply realised too late that Lewis wouldn't have enough fuel. It's also possible that they did realise, and thought "forget it, we want pole, and we'll take the consequences" - and if that was the case, then I can't blame them for not denying me a brilliant qualifying lap from Lewis; I can blame the FIA for an overly lenient response of course.

Either way I look it, I can't see some terrible, calculated conspiracy here. It was either a mistake where they didn't realise until too late, or it was a mistake which they then decided to create an advantage from by saying "forget it we want pole", which is at worst showing a racing spirit and (at the FIA's discretion) "getting away with it", if you like.

Bad news for Webber.

Webber gets gearbox change penalty By Jonathan Noble Sunday, June 13th 2010, 14:40 GMT Mark Webber has been given a five-place grid penalty at the Canadian Grand Prix after Red Bull Racing changed the gearbox on his car ahead of the race.

The Australian had qualified on the front row for the Montreal event, but his team discovered a problem with his gearbox in the build-up to the race.

The team elected to change it on Sunday morning, which means he will be moved back five places on the grid.

Webber will therefore now start seventh for the race - with team-mate Sebastian Vettel moving up to the front row alongside pole position man Lewis Hamilton.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84450

I am not so sure of that QO. I think mistakes can happen and if Mclaren had been trying this on, then why now? Did they only just realise this possible advantage? There is nothing special about a pole in Canada and Mclaren don't need this pole position desperately (like how Renault needed a win in 2008), so it would seem pointless to do it and risk a penalty of some sort (unless you believe Mclaren were so confident of the FIA's reaction).

I think it's entirely possible Mclaren simply realised too late that Lewis wouldn't have enough fuel. It's also possible that they did realise, and thought "forget it, we want pole, and we'll take the consequences" - and if that was the case, then I can't blame them for not denying me a brilliant qualifying lap from Lewis; I can blame the FIA for an overly lenient response of course.

Either way I look it, I can't see some terrible, calculated conspiracy here. It was either a mistake where they didn't realise until too late, or it was a mistake which they then decided to create an advantage from by saying "forget it we want pole", which is at worst showing a racing spirit and (at the FIA's discretion) "getting away with it", if you like.

:lol: Yes I see your point. Ok, maybe I got carried away in my way of expressing that I do not think that this wasn't just an infortunate coincidence. I don't think this was a full blown conspiracy, but it was certainly a much clearer breach of the rules than what happened at Monaco. I still think there whould be a better way between penalizing every little thing and "some guys have all the luck" approach. They should at least have placed a harsher economical penalty on McLaren. That way they would accomplished the double objective of not ruining Lewis superb lap and at the same time telling McLaren that rules are not just friendly advises.

Bad news for Webber.

Ah, I was wondering when will Webber's karma catch up with him again.

Bad news for Webber.

This means he will start from 7th between Massa and Kubica, definitelly not a good news for Webeer and the problems for RB continues race by race, those guys should be leading the WDC for a big margin but are going from problem to problem and that's not the way to do it.