Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Post Race Review, Comments And Talking Points - Canada

- Great drive from Hamilton of course, and clever work from Mclaren on strategy.

- Button sohuld be delighted with a second, and this is what might help him sneak ahead of Hamilton at the end of the season - the fact that even on a weekend when he can't get the car working as he wants, he manages to finish right behind Hamilton. The pass on Alonso was class, when there wasn't that much of a pace difference between them (I reiterate, Button is the best passer on the grid).

- Schumacher - bad race, but reports of his demise are rather exaggerated. He made an incredible start and was doing well, ahead of Rosberg until his run in with Kubeetza. After that, there was the extra stop, where I am not sure what they did, seemingly they just changed tyres. After that, the inexplicable strategy decisions from Mercedes cost him - his tyres were clearly shot well before the end, they had to bring him in. It was Hungary 2006 all over again. Driving around 3 seconds off the pace means you lose a pit stop in 6 laps, so I have no idea why he was left out there. His driving was unfair, and he should get a penalty (not that it will make much difference), but hardly evidence of him being past it - that's how he has always driven. BAsically, his pace wasn't that bad, his defensive driving was awful and unfair and the strategy given to him was just ridiculous, very strange for a Brawn team.

- The FIA really need to clarify the chicane jumping rule - if you straightline a chicane with a car right behind you, you should HAVE to yield. This is purely the FIA's fault as such incidents have been happening for years because they do nothing about them.

- Kubeetza has to be penalized, that pit entry was dangerous.

- Bloody good not to have a safety car.

- Great race from Alonso, though he would probably feel he should have kept Button behind. Massa's poor driving means there isn't much to compare him to right now. Massa had some bad luck, but the tangle at the start was just stupid.

- Force India - Great pace in parts but then they tailed off, I am not entirely sure why. They would have hoped for something better than 9th and 10th today.

- By his lofty standards, Kubeetza would have hoped to make more of the race today.

- Webber wouldn't be asking about setting fastest laps - there is exuberance and then there's stupidity. Wonder whether the lack of race intelligence will hinder Vettel the way it has restricted Hamilton from becoming a great driver rather than just a very good one.

- It is ridiculous Hamilton was not penalized for qualifying - a lap of fuel is worth 3/10 of a second. That pole was not legitimate.

- Webber's strategy didn't make sense either, again Red Bull sometimes look like having a car that is far ahead of the rest of the team - too many reliability blunders and strategy errors. Keeping a driver out losing 2+ seconds a lap makes no sense at all.

- The average number of working cars HRT have at any track is about 0.4, so it's practically impossible to make any comparison between the drivers. Bruno's worked in quali and practice. KArun's in the race. Idiots.

- The secret of a good race in F1 - short lived tyres, and good tracks. I don't care if they have to make 4 or 5 stops.

- The secret of a good race in F1 - short lived tyres, and good tracks. I don't care if they have to make 4 or 5 stops.

Very, very true. that's the way to go but there not much to do with the tracks this year but tires can be fixed to met this purpuose.

personally I feel that a lot of rules were pushed and broken by many.....I think FIA headed by Todt is letting things loose and get back to racing and giving us fans a good time....

I enjoyed the race, regardless of the fact who won it....this is the kind of weekend I like....nice lunch, good race.....

just hate the house cleaning part though..

That's the longest load of babblering nonsense I've have read since I last read a speech from Billy Graham. Having said that, I agree with 99.9% of it :P

My own comments:

Hammy: agreed, although the first pitstop again showed them losing to another team (in this case, Ferrari) and forcing yet another pitlane battle. This time with a happy ending.

Button: agreed. The feed I was watching didn't show the pass on Alonso so I cannot argue against that.

Schumi: showing both his spirit and his limitations. Was great to watch his battles with almost everybody around, was funny to watch him being way too arrogant and was kind of endearing watching how most of the drivers didn't give a damn about his arrogance and simply pushed him aside. Other than that Buemi's pass on him was a masterpiece.

FIA/Chicanes: Agreed.

Kubica: mmmh...not so sure. In any case, it is one of the many things the stewards will have to review after the race. And that is a good thing. They didn't handle that many penalties yet the number of incidents to be reviewed after the race showed that they wer not just drinking coffee. It was a good race for Rk, all things considered, at least consistant with his previous performances, too bad that Petrov got into a tangle so early in the race, then again, it was his first time ar Montreal and this is no easy track for newbies.

SC: indeed.

Alonso: didn't look too happy, but I guess it was just because he can't stand Hamilton (and probably not too fond of Button, either :lol:). He had a tough choice between pushing to the limit or settling and playing safe before losing yet another chance. It pays dividends on the long run, but it will always lose to the fireworks the Hamilton style delivers. If he had fared better in previous races he would have pushed more, probably. He should be happy, nonetheless.

Force India: great race. If not in terms of expectations vs results, at least in terms of spectacle provided. Those two guys gave everything, which meant they made more than a fair share of mistakes but also battle against everything that moved. Funny, in a clumsy way.

Webber vs Vettel's comments: my sentiments, exactly.

Hamilton qualy: already posted my thoughts pre race.

Webber strategy: either believe in karma or a conspiracy theory. I'd rather say that is a mix between RBR's little love for him and the fact that they are rather naive when it comes to strategy.

HRT: agreed, but both of them keep seeming less like loose cannons than, say...Massa on the first corners or Hulkenberg almost everywhere else :P

Secret of F1: agreed. Plus a good lineup. This time you had at any moment good battles all over the field and it was interesting that most of them were among good drivers. It is very unusual to watch so many duels and so many of them among good drivers.

personally I feel that a lot of rules were pushed and broken by many.....I think FIA headed by Todt is letting things loose and get back to racing and giving us fans a good time....

I enjoyed the race, regardless of the fact who won it....this is the kind of weekend I like....nice lunch, good race.....

just hate the house cleaning part though..

:lol:

- Kubeetza has to be penalized, that pit entry was dangerous.

It would be a joke if they penalise Kubica after Hamilton's pit entry in China, I think, when he had passe the pit-lane entry.

-- It is ridiculous Hamilton was not penalized for qualifying - a lap of fuel is worth 3/10 of a second. That pole was not legitimate.

What is even more ridiculous is what I heard today. The FIA will set a new rule to penalise any team/driver doing it from now onwards just when Hamilton/McLaren have got away with it already.

Two key moments for Alonso.

First, 2nd pit-stop, Hamilton pits first. Alonso purpled all three sectors, he went for another lap where a backmarker (kovalainen I think) screwed him big time. Hamilton won the race just there, he could have won it anyway but the fight would have been interesting.

Second, last laps of the race, another backmarker (Chandhok I think) in front of Alonso and Button had his moment to get 2nd and he did a clever move. The McLaren is really fast on the straights and Alonso's only hope was to keep them behind as he would have never past them if they didn't make a mistake.

I could see none of those moments on TV as they were showing fcking ads but live timings don't lie. Bittersweet in the end.

Mostly agree on the rest.

It would be a joke if they penalise Kubica after Hamilton's pit entry in China, I think, when he had passe the pit-lane entry.

What is even more ridiculous is what I heard today. The FIA will set a new rule to penalise any team/driver doing it from now onwards just when Hamilton/McLaren have got away with it already.

Two key moments for Alonso.

First, 2nd pit-stop, Hamilton pits first. Alonso purpled all three sectors, he went for another lap where a backmarker (kovalainen I think) screwed him big time. Hamilton won the race just there, he could have won it anyway but the fight would have been interesting.

Second, last laps of the race, another backmarker (Chandhok I think) in front of Alonso and Button had his moment to get 2nd and he did a clever move. The McLaren is really fast on the straights and Alonso's only hope was to keep them behind as he would have never past them if they didn't make a mistake.

I could see none of those moments on TV as they were showing fcking ads but live timings don't lie. Bittersweet in the end.

good bleat..

Funny to hear that after many pepole here discredited Live timing after the Monaco last lap pass made by Schumi on Alonso :whistling:

If Kubica is to be penalized, then the Geriatric (cheating) One needs to be banned from the next race. How many rules he broke THIS time around? I lost track. As I said before, I did not care for him before, and now HATE him and his Teutonic arogance with a passion. That SOB needs to just go away. Become an advisor to Ferrari or something, just STAY AWAY FROM RACING.

Seriously, I don't get it - Alonso and Hamilton RACE down the pit lane, and that's fine. Schumaher weaves like a drunken sailor block Kubica who was at least 30 mph faster, and that's fine. But we'll be investigating Kubica? This is just incredible...

Had to go to a christening so didn't get to see any F1 :( :( :( :( ! Apparently, twas a fantastic & unpredictable race!

If Kubica is to be penalized, then the Geriatric (cheating) One needs to be banned from the next race. How many rules he broke THIS time around? I lost track. As I said before, I did not care for him before, and now HATE him and his Teutonic arogance with a passion. That SOB needs to just go away. Become an advisor to Ferrari or something, just STAY AWAY FROM RACING.

Seriously, I don't get it - Alonso and Hamilton RACE down the pit lane, and that's fine. Schumaher weaves like a drunken sailor block Kubica who was at least 30 mph faster, and that's fine. But we'll be investigating Kubica? This is just incredible...

Two or even three wrongs, don't make a right. I think Kubica's move was as at least as dangerous as anything else that's been seen this year, if not, more so. A split second later and that would have been one serious accident.

Agreed, though, there was some questionable driving today.

Alonso annoyed with lapped cars

13 June 2010

Despite being pleased with Ferrari's return to the podium in Montreal, Fernando Alonso could not help but feel irritated in the immediate aftermath of the Canadian Grand Prix after losing both first and second places to the McLaren drivers through issues involving slower runners.

Having jumped Lewis Hamilton for the lead during pit-stops, Alonso was unable to hold on to his advantage next time round as he was delayed by lapped team-mate Jarno Trulli's Lotus through Turns 6 and 7.

The same part of track was the scene of more frustrations later, as Karun Chandhok's Hispania forced the Ferrari to lose enough momentum for Jenson Button to overtake on Lap 56.

"I think it was a good day for us, the car was very competitive here in Canada," said Fernando, who last finished on the podium in Spain just over a month ago.

"We had a good opportunity to fight for the win today. We overtook Lewis thanks to a fantastic pit-stop but we lost positions - with traffic with Lewis and an Hispania with Jenson, so both of those things lost us the race today."

Why he doesn't say that he is not that good dealing with traffic? after he was overtaken the guys in front of him found slow cars too but he couldn't return the favor to them, if he was fast enough to win the race why didn't he pass the Mclaren back like both of them did with him?

Well, cavallino, I'm just happy to see you back after your histrionic exit not so long ago...

... and to come back with a motto like "The Model Poster". Nice way to get back on your feet.

Anyways. Your post might hold some truth but misses the key. FIA fvck up another GP from beginning to end. The podium was fabricated and the victims, this year again, are RBR.

FIA is not being lenient at all. They are being selective as always.

The racing? Sure, some guts here and there. Too much traffic though. It reminded me a little of a demolition derby. It just goes to show that qualifying should be seriously reconsidered. A reversed grid (based on WDC standings) plus a 105% rule would encourage a great deal more of speed on track... and, yes, passing for the overtaking junkies.

- Button sohuld be delighted with a second, and this is what might help him sneak ahead of Hamilton at the end of the season - the fact that even on a weekend when he can't get the car working as he wants, he manages to finish right behind Hamilton. The pass on Alonso was class, when there wasn't that much of a pace difference between them (I reiterate, Button is the best passer on the grid).

Yup, Button must surely be impressing a few doubters this season. And that's a good point about the small pace difference between him and Alonso.

Yup, Button must surely be impressing a few doubters this season. And that's a good point about the small pace difference between him and Alonso.

I am one of them, I am impressed but not yet convinced :P

Let me summing up and point out some interesting aspects of nowadays F1:

- As we saw today -with the same cars and rules- Tilke is spread disease in the F1 world. Please don´t let him draw any track more!!!!!!

- schumi was some kind of moving chicane and Nico despite the first corner incident outperform him -again!

- Kubi was a little bit too excited today -he must calm down!

- Webber made a very good job with and odd strategy driving in a better way than whining Vettel IMO.

- Hami, Nando and Button drove like maniacs and gave us some old style rece moments. THKS!

- WCC will be for RedBull or Macca; Ferrari is out of the fight because Felipe is having his worst year so far.

- WDC is a close fight between Webber, Hami, Button and Nando; the rest even Vettel must wait to 2011.

Hmm - having now watched the race...

Agree with pretty much everything you are all saying.

Kubica's pitlane entry looked fine to me though. He didn't want to slow down, Liuzzi did, he went around him, they didn't collide, nothing to see.

Shumi was obnoxious with Kubica, Massa and then Liuzzi and should be penalised especially for the Massa move.

Hamilton, Button and Alonso - all very good and deserving of their positions.

Red Bull's strategy worked curiously backwards for them - no one's fault, just the way these things happen sometimes.

Well done Buemi and the Force Indias too.

No DOD yet? Better fix that - not the same without our usual 'who was best' arguments.

Schumi: showing both his spirit and his limitations. Was great to watch his battles with almost everybody around, was funny to watch him being way too arrogant and was kind of endearing watching how most of the drivers didn't give a damn about his arrogance and simply pushed him aside. Other than that Buemi's pass on him was a masterpiece.

I think people need to get over the whole - oh look he got passed by a Force India, how ironic, oh look he got passed by Buemi how ironic etc. The symbolism is pretty empty, and he did get passed by all kinds of cars in 2005 too, and even 2003 when his team struggled with tyres. What I mean is, he got passed, fine, but it is tiresome to hear the whole meaningless 'oh look a one time great 7 time champion being passed by a lowly ______, that surely is a defining moment bla bla'.

Due to the fact that Brundle complained all the time and the camera didn't stay on him for long, his race driving looked bad, after the race and reading post race comments, doesn't seem it was as bad as it seemed at first. And we should be very very careful to blame a driver for racing - we haven't had too much of that of late, and I would think twice before complaining about a driver actually trying to overtake or not give up his position - that's racing, that's why we watch and that's why despite everything it's good to have the old geezer back.

Kubica: mmmh...not so sure. In any case, it is one of the many things the stewards will have to review after the race. And that is a good thing. They didn't handle that many penalties yet the number of incidents to be reviewed after the race showed that they wer not just drinking coffee. It was a good race for Rk, all things considered, at least consistant with his previous performances, too bad that Petrov got into a tangle so early in the race, then again, it was his first time ar Montreal and this is no easy track for newbies.

Yes it's time I started giving Petrov credit.

As for Kubeetza, the reason that move was dangerous is because you are risking a side on collision, which is incredibly dangerous - remember Zanardi? F1 cars don't have huge crumple zones on the sides like they do in the front, there isn't a lot protecting the driver if you get hit side on by another car. That's why Kubeetza's move was dangerous.

All that said, I do like having races without the ridiculous endless grid penalties.

- As we saw today -with the same cars and rules- Tilke is spread disease in the F1 world. Please don´t let him draw any track more!!!!!!

Not really, it's the tyres that made the race. If the tyres lasted 100 laps, we wouldn't have had as much fun.

Shumi was obnoxious with Kubica, Massa and then Liuzzi and should be penalised especially for the Massa move.

I think Brundle made it seem worse than it was with his ranting..

Not really, it's the tyres that made the race. If the tyres lasted 100 laps, we wouldn't have had as much fun.

Tyres are the same all season - this track punishes them more so they degraded faster than on a Tilke track.

The track made the race good - both the surface and the layout.

Argento is correct - Tilke tracks (on average) produce more boring races than non-Tilke ones - simples.

I think Brundle made it seem worse than it was with his ranting..

Brundle does the Chinese commentary? Is there no end to that man's talents? :D