Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persevere

Grand Prix Du Canada - Race Report

That was fun, Persevere.

Someone brought up the “God Complex” question recently on the Forum but I wonder if the origins lie in the murky swamp of fans’ gushing adulation, with reporters using histrionic superlatives, with huge sums of money being tossed about. Do we create these deities and then damn them when they actually begin to believe it?

I made the same point several times while the object of worship was/is Hamilton. Needless to say, the responses every time have been insults. You won't be insulted now, of course. The only violent fans are Hamilton's lewisteric mob... which will likely praise you for "criticising" a driver far superior to Hamilton.

"So wise so young, they say do never live long."

I sometimes wonder if Sebastian Vettel’s obvious speed and talent has blinded us to his youth. Perhaps he is to blame. I think of the calm, smooth win in the wet at Monza in a Toro Rosso, a drive that seemed to belie his lack of accrued racing miles. Someone brought up the “God Complex” question recently on the Forum but I wonder if the origins lie in the murky swamp of fans’ gushing adulation, with reporters using histrionic superlatives, with huge sums of money being tossed about. Do we create these deities and then damn them when they actually begin to believe it? Perhaps Vettel thought the world was waiting to be his oyster and he is finding that it is not so. He can do incredible and thrilling things on the race track and I would be shocked if he did not retire with a room full of trophies and one or more driving championships. I perceive that something is not quite right with Vettel these days. Let’s hope that he has steadying forces around him to keep him grounded.

Maybe it's the morbidity in me, but Vettel, although brilliant, strikes me as the most likely of all the current drivers to die before his final score can ever be amassed? Could it be that he, like Senna, will be taken from us too soon? And I don't necessarily mean in a race car accident either....just get one of those goosebump up your arm feelings about Vettel....it's like he's supposed to get to the verge of greatness, then......

“The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.”

Was there ever a driver who has had more words written about him than Michael Schumacher? Yes, Senna. And quite possibly Stirling Moss too. Talk of his replacing the injured Massa last season set off a firestorm which, although subsiding in the months following, picked up steam and continued when Mercedes formally announced his contract with the team. As I discount most of what celebrities or professional sportsmen say when a microphone is thrust in front of them, I can’t help but wonder what exactly does Schumacher think of his decision to return while he lies awake at night? 1 Euro, 2 Euro, 3 Euro, 4 Euro, hahaha... Is the car so terribly unsuited to him? No Are his reflexes measurably lessened? Yes, he's 41, and just because he is a German doesn't mean he gets to escape aging like the rest of us. What does he think when he is challenged and then passed by young, aggressive drivers who may never win a Grand Prix race in their career? NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN.....grumble...****en Rosberg.....grumble grumble...

Excellent report old chap. With a report so eloquently stated, you could have a career as....well....something...not sure what.....ditch digger?......rubbish man?.......something..... :P