Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

2011 Rules

The FIA World Motor Sport Council have spoken. Quite a few changes for 2011. Summary from Autosport goes like this:

The full FIA World Council statement

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 13:25 GMT

The full statement from Wednesday's meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council:

Tyres

Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011. The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA.

"Competitor's staff" FIA Licence

A proposal relating to specific licences for members of staff of competitors entered in the FIA World Championships has been submitted to the Formula One Commission. This is under consideration for implementation in the FIA Formula One World Championship from the start of 2011, with a view to inclusion in other FIA World Championships in the future.

Safety car

With immediate effect, no car may overtake until it has passed the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, it will enter the pit lane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

General safety

With immediate effect, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically, or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers, will be reported to the stewards. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane. In order to ensure cars are not driven unnecessarily slowly on in-laps during qualifying or reconnaissance laps when the pit exit is opened for the race, drivers must stay below the maximum time set by the FIA between the safety car line after the pit exit and safety car line before the pit entry. The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary.

The grid

From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107 per cent of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards.

Driver adjustable bodywork

From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps. The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated. The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

Aerodynamic influence

With the exception of the parts necessary for the driver adjustable bodywork, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011.

Weight

From 2011, the minimum weight of the car must not be less than 640 kg at all times during the event.

Fuel draining

With immediate effect, if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

Licences

Based on his career resume and comparative F1 testing times, the World Council has approved the granting of a four-race probationary super license to Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84691

So most notably, the 107% rule is back - which seems like a good idea; F-Ducts are banished, which seems silly to me; the controversial and clear as mud to most safety car rules have been clarified; and Pirelli gets the nod for supplying round black things without any of the delays suggested by Jean Todt's recent comments about a tender process. Not yet convinced by the idea of adjustable bodywork, seems like a good way of creating overtaking, but it'll be artificial overtaking so does it really count? It seems like the sport is pandering to casual, fair weather fans of the sport to me on that one. On the whole though, not a bad set of changes.

No refueling and adjustable body work B.S. And a spec tire. And Ho-Pin Tung.

Looks like my glorious return to regular F1 viewing is on hold until 2012 (and then I'll see those regulations...) :P

Leave Ho-Pin Tung alone Eric, he could be the greatest talent motor sport has seen since the mighty Asmer.

Leave Ho-Pin Tung alone Eric, he could be the greatest talent motor sport has seen since the mighty Asmer.

:lol: Well I'm sure Renault are ho-pin that will be the case.

(In the spirit of it almost being the month of Jewly, here's another hilarious one: what's a rabbi's favorite beverage? Orange jewce. Okay I'll stop).

(In the spirit of it almost being the month of Jewly, here's another hilarious one: what's a rabbi's favorite beverage? Orange jewce. Okay I'll stop).

:lol: Zing!

Tung will be fine once he is in the groove.

Tung will be fine once he is in the groove.

laugh.gif

Worth at least Arf a Groan, anyway.

laugh.gif

The chink's gonna Pin his Tung on a Ho. Should make F1 more exciting!

No refueling and adjustable body work B.S. And a spec tire. And Ho-Pin Tung.

Looks like my glorious return to regular F1 viewing is on hold until 2012 (and then I'll see those regulations...) :P

Well SOMETHING seems to be working currently. Bahrain excluded, the majoirty of the races have been exciting ones and the majority of the fans seem to have enjoyed them. Gimicky? Yes. Awful? No.

We want to see overtaking and then we moan we have overtaking? Okay.

My thoughts:

KERS return-Should never have been absent this year. Rather pointless coming back under exact same rules as 2009 in my view.

Pirelli tyres-Glad they've FINALLY come to a decision, sad there is still no tyre war.

Safety car rule-Still dumb however they re-phrase it. Safety car comes in means we are back racing. Or is that only if it's a Wednesday and the name of the month has a "R" in it?

Moveable body work-Good. Shows they are finally listening to fans on the improving the show deal. If it means we get to see more excellent racing, what's it matter? Racing like A1GP have boost buttons (or rather DID) to allow competitors to overtake the car ahead, that's perhaps gimicky but both drivers and fans like it.

107% rule-Good. That should give new teams a kick up the backside to get a move on.

Well SOMETHING seems to be working currently. Bahrain excluded, the majoirty of the races have been exciting ones and the majority of the fans seem to have enjoyed them. Gimicky? Yes. Awful? No.

We want to see overtaking and then we moan we have overtaking? Okay.

Actually, you'll find two things:

1. I didn't post a big long rant of what F1 should or should not do. I simply stated I don't like the regulations, but did not go on a self-induglent "OMG F1 NEEDS TO CATER TO MEEEEEE" speech. They didn't make the changes that would get one person (me) back, but evidently they've managed to keep about 80,000,000 people watching each race (including much increased viewership in the U.S...nearly a 100% increase over recent years), so I'm not saying the FIA are wrong or that these rules suck or this or that. If you read my posts, you'll find in the majority of the ones I say something negative about F1, I make a point to be respectful and appreciative of the fact the fans seem to be more into it than ever and really enjoying this season, and I am genuinely glad for them and for that.

2. There's nothing about overtaking in my post, so I don't know where that comment came from. If you want my thoughts on overtaking, I'm not a "more overtaking" kind of guy, and my posts should reflect that (if they don't, a lack of command of the English language is probably the reason for it :P). I like natural drama. That could be an overtake (one where a faster car passes another, not one where a driver pushes a button or adjusts body work, but whatever). That could also be a brilliant fuel (or this season tire) strategy beating everyone or a late-race mechanical failure or an oddly-timed safety car or whatever. I don't like manufacturing that personally, but if that makes F1 exciting for the people who do watch, great, it was a good move.

In short, it wasn't "moaning." Moaning would be...

WHYYYYYY DO THE FIA NEVER LISTEN TO ME?!!??! I WANT THIS AND THAT AND THIS AND THE OTHER THING AND THOSE AND THESE AND THIS AND MAYBE THAT TOO!!! AND I WANT IT ALL NOW!!!! F1 SUCKS AND I HATE IT AND I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIN UNTIL CHRISTIAN KLIEN GETS A RUDE OR THE CARS ARE POWERED BY ONE-CYLINDER WIND-POWERED ENGINES!!!!!! I HATE THE FIA AND BERNIE'S A CORRUPT GREEDY TROLL!!!!! THEY NEVER GET IT RIGHT!!!

Rather than moaning, I just expressed an opinion that failed to be positive.

Carry on. :)

Banning F-ducts was totally unnecessary IMHO. Innovation is the core of F1. I don't care if Dinky make the tyres as long as they work. I'd have rather seen a tyre war, to be frank. 107% rule always made sense. Moving body parts? - not my thing. Manual clutches and gearboxes are. Most car buyers use them, why can't F1 drivers?

Tyres - first year will might be fun, after that business as usual.

"Competitor's staff" FIA Licence - just more money for FIA?

Safety car - clarity at least.

General safety - means whatever FIA wants it to.

The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary.

The grid - again - what are exceptional circumstances?

Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race

Driver adjustable bodywork - Terrible idea.

Aerodynamic influence - Can't get your F-duct to work? - never mind, the FIA will ban them for you.

Weight - not too much difference.

Fuel draining - and if they don't, what's the punishment?

Licences - He can hop-in and get going then.

The joke. If the fvck-ducts are a safety or whatever problem, why not ban them when the season started? Ah, right. This is not like the mass-dumper-gate since it is _that_ other team who came up with the fvck-duct idea.

The 107% rule eliminates who? Take a look at the times this season and figure out who would've been packing home early if applied. That's what happens when you kill the competition.

And sure, more weight to fit KERRRRRS and such. Okidoki.

It shows how desperate F1 fans are that THIS crap is considered news...

Not sure if that deserves an Arf or a Groan.

Please yourself. I said it tung-in-cheek anyway.

Great that Pirelli's in the game. I guess it's not a big ask of them to give us men a Pirelli calendar, starring the pit babes, at every race?

We must sign an official TF1 statement requiring an official TF1 - Pirelli Calendar... and David (Pervesere) and me will be in charge of the casting!!!!

In all seriousness, the drivers feel a moveable rear wing is a little 'bogus' in terms of real racing. They have safety concerns too. Whether their misgivings will be heeded is of course, another thing.

I will chalk it up to my general lack of intelligence that I can't always connect all the dots; i.e., the on-track ramifications of rule changes and clarifications. After a couple of races into 2011 the fog may lift and we shall see what the results are.

As for Pirelli, sure, why not. They've been a player long enough to presumably know exactly what they are getting themselves in to.

In all seriousness, the drivers feel a moveable rear wing is a little 'bogus' in terms of real racing. They have safety concerns too. Whether their misgivings will be heeded is of course, another thing.

Since today tech admit safety moveable aero gadgets the question is are they worth? F1 has more important things to concern then a rear wing, Tilke for example.

They're not the only ones harbouring doubts. So, the guy behind gets within one second of the guy in front and operates his magical rear wing. The guy in front, however, is not allowed to use his. What?? Except, of course, the guy in front hits the KERS button..... D'oh.... What a stupid, ill judged and pointless rule. Anybody here remember the late 60s wings on stilts? They were adjustable to begin with. Until they spontaneously disassembled, which is what Jarno is having a wine (sic, ha ha) about, I suppose. Understandable.

It's worth noting that three series considered "professional" with overtaking assists either died or are dying.

Champ Car World Series...never had enough popularity to stay afloat and went the same place as the owners' money: far, far away.

A1 Grand Prix...those "drivers and fans" love the overtaking button so much no one actually bothered to care about A1 and it too died.

IndyCar Series...some races get viewership as low as 307,000 people total (in fact, 921,000 viewers for the Texas race was sooo much the IRL have been bragging about it for weeks...that's 1/3 of what the Canadian Grand Prix got in the United States) and the series couldn't be closer to just folding up and going away. Ratings have actually gone down since they added the overtake button, turning their typical Penske and Ganassi-led parades into...Penske and Ganassi-led parades where Penske and Ganassi sometimes push buttons to pass each other.

Point being?

People aren't actually attracted to this fake racing. Formula 1 won't lose 80,000,000 viewers and collapse to the lows of CCWS, A1, and IRL, but they're not going to gain interest by doing this, even if it does generate overtaking. It's action, but it isn't interesting action, and that's the problem. You can have real overtakes more frequently if you try hard enough rather than take the easy way out and introduce driver aids of all sorts to do the overtaking for them.