Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Dan Gurney'S Accident

.........Thanks Meds and asj. Fine posts there :thbup: Alas, I have no answer for you Meds.............

Just thought of one (part named afer designer), 'The Chapman Strut' was named after Colin Chapman - ha! after all of his genius designs, a simple suspension part got the name. No, it was nothing to do with the way Mr Chapman walked......

The Red Bull's retarded ignition (damn, still hard not to giggle), if someone got really really picky, isn't it a 'moveable aerodynamic device'? Yes, the valves do their up 'n down thing anyway, but they're moving out of their normal operating range to increase aero efficiency. Call me Picky.

EDIT: Bloody hell, they wouldn't call the exhaust idea the 'Newey Retard' would they?

Jonathan Leggard is trying his bestest to have the word Schumacheresque be used to describe someone going fast....just imagine..........

:lol:

No Handy. I can't, won't, mustn't try and imagine that complete twat there he goes around the bend up the hill out of sight what do you think MArtin oh sorry to interupt he's back round the bend and up the hill I think he's got a puncture oh no it's... AAAAARGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all things are equal in the universe, and wives are always the more, shall we say, talkative of the relationship...wouldn't you just HATE to be invited over to dinner at the Leggard house?

And he's eating the peas, yes I think you'll find it is the peas, the pea's that if they weren't any other colour would be green, but infact they are green, and not at all looking like a potatoe,what do you think Jonathan, are they green like peas, or, whats that...lets just listen to the team radio.....ahhhhh...no what did you make of that Jonathan dear? I couldn't make it out...I was talking when I was supposed to be listening, but wait, no look, its now a carrot, which is not at all like a pea which is green not orange like this carrot....Jonathan, are you going to comment at all? Well?

Jonathan Leggard is trying his bestest to have the word Schumacheresque be used to describe someone going fast....just imagine:

Man pulled over by policeman

"Excuse me so, do you realise how Schumacheresque you were traveling back there?"

"Ah, no Sir...how Schumacheresque was I going?"

"About $400 worth Sir"

"I'm really sorry, but my Schumacheresque gauge must be faulty...."

"You should really have that checked out then, Sir. Too much Schumacheresque can be quite a dangerous thing."

"Yes Sir...I'll watch out for going Schumacheresque in the future Sir"

"Very well Sir. Have a nice day"

I like the word. I am now dressed very Schumacheresque.

The Red Bull's retarded ignition (damn, still hard not to giggle), if someone got really really picky, isn't it a 'moveable aerodynamic device'? Yes, the valves do their up 'n down thing anyway, but they're moving out of their normal operating range to increase aero efficiency. Call me Picky.

Sounds about right. The FIA outlawed mass dampers with that same flawed logic....

If all things are equal in the universe, and wives are always the more, shall we say, talkative of the relationship...wouldn't you just HATE to be invited over to dinner at the Leggard house?

And he's eating the peas, yes I think you'll find it is the peas, the pea's that if they weren't any other colour would be green, but infact they are green, and not at all looking like a potatoe,what do you think Jonathan, are they green like peas, or, whats that...lets just listen to the team radio.....ahhhhh...no what did you make of that Jonathan dear? I couldn't make it out...I was talking when I was supposed to be listening, but wait, no look, its now a carrot, which is not at all like a pea which is green not orange like this carrot....Jonathan, are you going to comment at all? Well?

Lemme give you the 'merican perspective on it. The british accent makes them all sound far too smart and Legard is a refreshing reminder that there are some brits that are really just big ol' fools.

The trouble with Legard is that he tries too hard. I don't know about his past experience in motorsport, other than he used to do the F1 commentating for Radio 5 back in the late 90's early noughties. From what I've heard over the last year and a bit he's been on the BBC's coverage, it sounds like he doesn't have the background knowledge that is required for the job.

Murray Walker had it in spades. While watching a race, he could talk about a similar incident that happened in the 1974 Monaco race because he was there and he witnessed it first hand. James Allen could also bring his knowledge and experience from working in motorsport since the early nineties and you could tell that he also read about years gone by and could bring classic races, personalities and incidents, from the beginning of the World Championship, into his commentary.

With Legard it sounds to me like he's been given the job of presenting the beeb's F1 coverage and whilst he may like F1 I don't think he loves it. His presentation style is fairly flat. Yes, when there is an overtake taking place his voice speeds up and increases in volume but other than that there's not much there. It's the boring races that you really notice this. That's when the commentator is required to have the ability to take the watcher on a journey into F1 past, draw some parallels and educate them. It's not happening with Legard. I also sense that Martin Brundle recognises Legard's limitations. It's definitely not the same relationship that Brundle had with Allen; there he had a co-commentator who was extremely enthusiastic about F1.

With Legard, the well ain't that deep and there's not much water in it anyway.

T'chau

The trouble with Legard is that he tries too hard. I don't know about his past experience in motorsport, other than he used to do the F1 commentating for Radio 5 back in the late 90's early noughties. From what I've heard over the last year and a bit he's been on the BBC's coverage, it sounds like he doesn't have the background knowledge that is required for the job.

Murray Walker had it in spades. While watching a race, he could talk about a similar incident that happened in the 1974 Monaco race because he was there and he witnessed it first hand. James Allen could also bring his knowledge and experience from working in motorsport since the early nineties and you could tell that he also read about years gone by and could bring classic races, personalities and incidents, from the beginning of the World Championship, into his commentary.

With Legard it sounds to me like he's been given the job of presenting the beeb's F1 coverage and whilst he may like F1 I don't think he loves it. His presentation style is fairly flat. Yes, when there is an overtake taking place his voice speeds up and increases in volume but other than that there's not much there. It's the boring races that you really notice this. That's when the commentator is required to have the ability to take the watcher on a journey into F1 past, draw some parallels and educate them. It's not happening with Legard. I also sense that Martin Brundle recognises Legard's limitations. It's definitely not the same relationship that Brundle had with Allen; there he had a co-commentator who was extremely enthusiastic about F1.

With Legard, the well ain't that deep and there's not much water in it anyway.

T'chau

That sums Legard up perfectly. He certainly tries too hard to inject excitement into the race, just by raising his voice and talking fast, e.g. there have been many times this season where the camera has cut from a shot of one driver, to a different driver, and Legard has suddenly changed his tone of voice and speed for no apparent reason ("and here's Schumacher then, is he going to make the cut?!" etc). He does this a lot and it's pretty annoying/weird. I have no doubt that James Allen, whilst also being fairly poor as Brundle's partner in the commentary box and probably more annoying than Legard in his style, at least had 1) a genuine passion for the sport and 2) a great depth and breadth of knowledge about F1 as is evident from his excellent blog.

BBC need to look at this element of their coverage for next season because you're only as strong as your weakest link, and at the moment Legard is the BBC's weakest link when it comes to F1 coverage, and it's a shame because otherwise their package is much better than what ITV produced.