Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

107% Rule

Following Luca's recent outburst, and the release of the new (old) rule of 107% being used in the 2011 season, I wondered how much egg should Luca have on his face.

Bahrain:

Pole: 114.101 secs

107%: 122.088

Non Qualifiers: Chandhok and Senna

Australia:

Pole: 83.919

107%: 89.793

Non Qualifiers: Di Grassi, Chandok, and Senna

Malaysia

Pole: 109.327

107%: 116.979

Non Qualifiers: Senna and Di Grassi

China

Pole: 94.558

107%: 101.177

Non Qualifiers: None

Spain

Pole: 79.995

107%: 85.595

Non Qualifiers: Chandhok and Senna

Monaco

Pole: 73.826

107%: 78.993

Non Qualifiers: Chandhok (Alonso would qualify via Stewards decision)

Turkey

Pole: 86.295

107%: 92.335

Non Qualifiers: None

Canada

Pole: 75.105

107%: 80.362

Non Qualifiers: Chandhok

Conclusion: Luca is a knob.

Another conclusion: I just wasted 35 seconds of your life....but if that took you 37.45 secs to read, I am sorry to say, but you are not qualified to read.

Carry on, old chap (and chapette)

I just wasted 35 seconds of your life....

I bet that's what you say to all the sheep.

Good on you, pakeha, for taking the time to inform yourself and alike souls... but it's old news.

As I said in the other thread on this topic a few days ago, this is what happens when you kill the competition.

Conclusion: Luca is a knob.

Another conclusion: I just wasted 35 seconds of your life....but if that took you 37.45 secs to read, I am sorry to say, but you are not qualified to read.

Carry on, old chap (and chapette)

:lol:

Good on you, pakeha, for taking the time to inform yourself and alike souls... but it's old news.

As I said in the other thread on this topic a few days ago, this is what happens when you kill the competition.

You must be Sh#t when it comes to practical jokes and punchlines and other stuff like that.

And seriously, my Maori grandfather, if he were still with us today, would come over and punch your lights out for continuously using that derogatory term. Grow up.

*sits back and waits for Maure to act like a grown up....orders up some Pizza as i know it's going to take a long long time"

You must be Sh#t when it comes to practical jokes and punchlines and other stuff like that.

And seriously, my Maori grandfather, if he were still with us today, would come over and punch your lights out for continuously using that derogatory term. Grow up.

*sits back and waits for Maure to act like a grown up....orders up some Pizza as i know it's going to take a long long time"

Since you believe Maoris are unable to write dictionaries of their own language, your "alledged" grandfather would likely (if he were to exists at all) "punch your lights out", little pakeha.

And speaking of growing up, how come you completely ignore what I said about the 107% rule and focus only on your bigotry towards Maoris? Is that what your hatemonger kin now call "growing up"? It truly resembles plain old cowardice...

I actually think Lotus is doing quite well...they've gone from 3+ secs behind to only 1sec, some times less than that. That is a huge improvement in F1 terms. Accentuate the positive :)

Why 107%? Why not 103% or 115%?

When it was brought in the first time around, the spread over the cars was about 3-4secs front to rear (as it is now). It's just that with the engine freeze and all, the spread of times became 1sec, so a 3 or 4 sec time difference now looks huge. 103% would no doubt ensure cars all within 1sec.

In Minardi's day, they were regularly 3-4secs a lap slower. So going by those standards the new teams are not actually doing all that bad, and all this stuff about being too slow is just BS.

Why 107%? Why not 103% or 115%?

A good as well as pointless question.

The answer is simple, namely, because.

However, the alledged aim is the good of the "sport"... and apparently it falls on 107%.

For other related questions, please refer to the European GP where you will find ample exemplification of FIA's aims.

Whilst I applaud these three team's huge efforts by getting onto the grid this year, I do find it a bit unbelievable that they haven't really made much progress. I mean, I'd have been expecting them to be start challenging the likes of Toro Rosso or Sauber consistently by now, not too big of an ask, yet they are still being plagued by the same reliability problems and some are still failing to get on the right side of the 107% rule. Still, it just continues to make a mockery of the decision the FIA made to have these teams, of all the ones that applied, on the grid.

Whilst I applaud these three team's huge efforts by getting onto the grid this year, I do find it a bit unbelievable that they haven't really made much progress. I mean, I'd have been expecting them to be start challenging the likes of Toro Rosso or Sauber consistently by now, not too big of an ask, yet they are still being plagued by the same reliability problems and some are still failing to get on the right side of the 107% rule. Still, it just continues to make a mockery of the decision the FIA made to have these teams, of all the ones that applied, on the grid.

I disagree with them not having made any progress, at least as far as Lotus is concerned. Given that there is no testing, I find it remarkable that they have managed to pull a 1+ sec gap to the other new teams and have at times been fairly close to Toro Rosso and Sauber.

Yep, Lotus have made gains, and in any case, there have been few occasions where any of the new teams have been outside of the 107% rule (had it applied this season) regardless.

I actually think Lotus is doing quite well...they've gone from 3+ secs behind to only 1sec, some times less than that. That is a huge improvement in F1 terms. Accentuate the positive :)

Ah, yes! when they change tyres are so close!!!

Lotus are the only newbies to have made a significant improvement since Bahrain! Credit where credits due, fair f**ks to em!

Still, it just continues to make a mockery of the decision the FIA made to have these teams, of all the ones that applied, on the grid.

Meh. We can only speculate on how Prodrive or Lola would have done; the same way you speculated pre-season that these teams might challenge with Sauber or STR.

I highly doubt that, given the lack of a budget cap an the lack of testing, among other things, any team would be doing much better. We'll never know, of course, but I think it's more of a "expectations were too high" issue than the teams were under-performing.

That said, the FIA didn't have to pick three new teams or whatever; they could have just taken one. Manor, Campos, and US F1 were really odd choices when technically none of the three made the grid...Manor sold to Virgin to make it, Campos became HRT, and US F1 weren't able to pull off the merge with Stefan or whatever to save themselves.

Besides, we have the three we have and they can't change that now. They let them in and it's up to the teams themselves to control how long they stay in for. I'll predict by 2011 they won't be FTQ-ing under the 107% rule unless they go with worse pay drivers than the pay drivers they have now.

Um. They are making improvements. The big teams on pole have obviously made improvements, right? Then if the smaller teams haven't made improvements wouldn't we expect to see more smaller teams outside of the 107% by Canada? Handy has handily showed us that the only team consistently out of the 107% is Hispania...and them only barely.

So what you're asking from the small teams is to not only keep making the improvements that keep up with the pole-sitters but make even more progress to close the gap? You're asking more effort and cost from the small teams to do something that the big teams find difficult.

In this F1 lineup any team more than 1 or 1,5 second slower than the fastest guys has no chance of scoring single point unless something unusual happens. So 102% or 103% is good enough limit. Everything else is adding some excitement by having moving schikanes.