Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

There Is A Simple Solution, No Pit Stops During Safety Car Periods

We don't have refuelling now. So there is no need for anyone to stop during a safety car period. Even the most blistered F1 tyres can potter around at safety car speed. If you have a puncture or damage, you can go in the pits and rejoin last. Otherwise, no pit stops until the lap where the safety car comes in, so you don't have to drive an extra racing speed lap with worn tyres. The no refuelling thing can make one rule easier - do it FIA.

That could work, however I would just add that the SC should wave everyone by until he picks up the leader. Yellow flag rules dictate no overtaking, so even a naffed pit stop is irrelevant as they have to line up in the order they were when the circuit went to SC (not to yellow...to SC).

This means he can go on track straight away, and people like Alonso would be waved through, and there would be no issue whatsoever.

90% of all other series do it this way. It's unconfusing and it works

Both ideas are good but I think Cavalino's is the best one for F1 at least is the one that I like the most, this way nobody will benefit from pitting under SC and we will ahve a better show having everybody where it was before the SC but closer to each other.

As I wrote a few days ago the main reason for the 2010 safety car rule mod was the complain of many teams about refuelling/pits closed/out of fuel. So this year with the refuelling ban what´s the point of open the pits inmediatly? FIA should close the pits until the cars are in the same order of the lap before the safety car was deployed and then open the pits.IMO.

The simple solution isn't always the best one.

Better stewards and clearer rules are the way to go. Harder? Yeah. But that's kind of part of the job of running a sport.

Though when you think about it, it might be best to just eliminate Lewis Hamilton from F1. He's made hazardous mistakes at Interlagos in 2007 and Montréal in 2008 and he's caused controversy and embarrassment for the FIA at Nürburgring 2007, Spa-Francorchamps 2008, and now Valencia 2010.

Or something.

They could also have a half-time break. Nicole Sherzinger could perform the same concert every week while all the cars get serviced.

Maybe.

They could just ban pitting altogether. They can run every race on truck tires just to be safe in case it rains or snows or God vomits all over the circuit in disgust at the new front wing thing.

Perhaps.

Actually, I don't really care what they do, as long as they do it. Not my job to run the sport or advise them how to.

But.

Banning pitting under the safety car because it's too hard for the officials to officiate such an action is just silly; they're banning themselves from their own incompetence. They could post the rulebook on Simple English Wikipedia (I would not have made it through chemistry two years ago without that site). And hire someone who has never heard of F1 ever to officiate. No, really. That's serious. If someone just memorized the rulebook and officiated based on that with no knowledge of the sport beyond the rules, it would be better. No biases, no "well if I do this the race will be more interesting," no B.S. They could just get any of the jurors of the O.J. Simpson trial; I mean, really, how can you live that far away from society to have had no knowledge whatsoever of that ordeal? But I'm serious: having ex-drivers and team owners and mechanics and grid girls as stewards is worse! Someone totally emotionless to F1 who just knows the rules and the situations they apply in would do the best job.

Really.

I didn't even watch the European Grand Prix. What happened? Maybe I should just go one tab over to Tanita's report and find out before I post on this subject :P

We don't have refuelling now. So there is no need for anyone to stop during a safety car period. Even the most blistered F1 tyres can potter around at safety car speed. If you have a puncture or damage, you can go in the pits and rejoin last. Otherwise, no pit stops until the lap where the safety car comes in, so you don't have to drive an extra racing speed lap with worn tyres. The no refuelling thing can make one rule easier - do it FIA.

What1 do you want to solve in a simple way? [Honest question]

We all know that whenever a SC is deployed, there's always a chance of completely messing a race up no matter how good SC rules are. Having said that, I agree it could improve things a bit and make the SC periods easier to understand. OTOH, it could be more damaging for the leading cars when they have to pit right after the SC's in.

What I think FIA should do is make a list of possible scenarios and then find the best set of rules considering all of them with some sort of weighting factor. If some scenario is very unlikely it can be ignored. Or they can just have a look around and copy what others do nicely.

1 Last race was a c#ckup not because of the rules but because of how they applied the rules. I had the stomach to watch the race again and there was no reason for boxing the two Ferraris between the SC and the medical car for nearly a whole lap. What's done is done but you can have the best set of rules possible, it won't make any difference if you don't apply them with good judgement.

I didn't even watch the European Grand Prix. What happened? Maybe I should just go one tab over to Tanita's report and find out before I post on this subject :P

Yeah, maybe. I did read your blog you know :P

Not much to say about this, Cav's idea seems good but eliminates a part of F1 I've seen for a long time. How would Button win races then? :P

Yep. All true.

In fact, the current SC rules were put in place because of refueling problems which now are a non-issue.

As I wrote a few days ago the main reason for the 2010 safety car rule mod was the complain of many teams about refuelling/pits closed/out of fuel. So this year with the refuelling ban what´s the point of open the pits inmediatly? FIA should close the pits until the cars are in the same order of the lap before the safety car was deployed and then open the pits.IMO.

That would work too.

I agree with everyone who agrees.

I totally agree/disagree.

Not a fan. I remember the farce that we had when the pitlane used to be closed whenever the SC came out a few years ago. That used to really screw some people's races. They should be allowed to pit whenever they want.

I do think the SC rules should be changed though, this year has proven that they are quite flawed in a way. But I don't think this is the answer.

Not a fan. I remember the farce that we had when the pitlane used to be closed whenever the SC came out a few years ago. That used to really screw some people's races. They should be allowed to pit whenever they want.

I do think the SC rules should be changed though, this year has proven that they are quite flawed in a way. But I don't think this is the answer.

It's different now, there's no risk of running out of fuel. They just pit for fresh tyres and they can last a whole a whole GP behind the SC no matter how worn out they are.

Sorry James, what Hemingway actually said was,

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports... all others are games."

Mike has it like you in his signature but he doesn't quote Hemingway.

Yeah, I know there is no risk of running out of fuel, but behind the safety car at least we get some light relief in the pit stops and seeing if anybody can jump anyone. As I say, they should be allowed to pit whenever they want, otherwise it's gimmicky and fake. I seriously hope they don't bring in "pit stop windows" because that'd just be awful. Keep it pure.

... it's not young Lewis's fault. Jenson and Lewis are paid to put points on the table, for McLaren. If Lewis can effectively exploit preferential treatment he receives, that extra bit of wiggle room Charlie Whiting affords him, then Lewis is duty-bound to cheat the rules, deliver that net benefit he creates, to McLaren.

It's subsequently up to the FIa to swiftly intervene, restore impartiality, and a sense of fair play. If the sanctioning body is unable to do so, then writing's on the wall, and F1's days are numbered.

Problem 1: this guy in the safety car's an utterly worthless BTCC neanderthal, driving a half million dollar Mercedes with his brain in neutral who couldn't think his way out of a paper sack. Problem 2: acting-steward Heinz Harald-Frentzen was ineffectual. He failed. Miserably. Problem 3: 2010 Grand Prix of Europe unmistakeably revealed what everyone's suspected, all along. Our worst suspicion confirmed, no two ways about it, no room for argument whatsoever, Lewis Hamiltion is receiving preferential treatment.

Never is an ex-driver more precariously perched, riddled with uncertainty, than in retirement. Their bread buttered on one side, last thing a former driver is ever going to do, put himself in a precarious situation; create animosity; step on toes; anger an F1 team principal; adversely affect a current driver; wear out his welcome. Putting them in a ephemeral position, revolving door, is a recipe for doing nothing. The ex-race driver steward/consultant thing failed. Miserably. Doesn't work.

Solution to the problem, (1) fire Bernd Maylander, get somebody in the safety car with some sense of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit, capable of critical thinking, intelligent enough to understand, safety car cannot be allowed to split the field, and in such circumstance (2) waive all cars around, until he picks up the lead car. (3) No more former race drivers, as acting consultants to FIa stewards. And, (4) preferential treatment for Lewis Hamiltion must be extirpated. Posthaste.

Only way such a thing can be accomplished, is clean house, impose and enforce impartiality. Were it me, I'd bust Charlie Whiting. Oh, I'd bust him down-down-down. All the way down to Walmart. By the time I'd be through, he'd be standing there greeting customers, at the local Walmart.

QED,

- asj

I sometimes think the worst result of any racing controversies/incidents, is that they tend to motivate fans of the sport to seek out a forum to voice their misguided opinions.

Solution to the problem, (1) fire Bernd Maylander, get somebody in the safety car with some sense of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit, capable of critical thinking, intelligent enough to understand, safety car cannot be allowed to split the field, and in such circumstance (2) waive all cars around, until he picks up the lead car. (3) No more former race drivers, as acting consultants to FIa stewards. And, (4) preferential treatment for Lewis Hamiltion must be extirpated. Posthaste.

Problem of your solution, (1) I think you forget Bernd Maylander did exactly what he was told to do, he went out ASAP or as soon as Race Controld told him to do it. (2) He didn't waive all cars around because it is Whiting who decide such thing. (3) That's not the problem but I wouldn't get involved in stewarding if I were a former driver. (4) They want Hamilton fighting for the Championship up to the last race but I think they might punish him to balance the standings.

Welcome to the forums asj.

Problem of your solution, (1) I think you forget Bernd Maylander did exactly what he was told to do, he went out ASAP or as soon as Race Controld told him to do it. (2) He didn't waive all cars around because it is Whiting who decide such thing.

Truth. To add to this, we know now that Whiting was more concerned with getting the safety car out and medical staff to Webber than being fair to the drivers. Good call, I'd say.

I sometimes think the worst result of any racing controversies/incidents, is that they tend to motivate fans of the sport to seek out a forum to voice their misguided opinions.

Gold.

Cav, I like your idea.

But it doesn't mean I agree with it.

I used to love watching the squabbles and mix up of the grid the safety car pit lane drama used to provide. Cars that usually would never have had a chance at a podium spot would suddenly appear out of nowhere. I used to love the fact that the drivers who were leading had to fight back to get that position again. The strategies would all be worked out but then the safety car used to go and bollocks all of it up. I say bring it back. But then I've never really been one to agree with the majority have I?

A-HA! So, your true colours revealed at long last...the reason you and everyone else is here.....no,wait...that includes me too, and I've never been misguided in my life...:dam: