Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Long Time Between Drinks

Its oft published that Mr Frank Williams and Mr Patrick Head have not won a constructors championship for a very very long time (1997), but just flicking over some stats and you kind of get surprised that the following year, 1998 for those playing at home, was the last time McLaren won one too.

Sure does seem an age ago now.

Though even if that stat is quite close, I bet Frank and Pat wished they could still win races.

Will it just be me that will give out a large cheer when finally they find their winning ways again?

So what was everyone doing in 97 or 98, the last time these grandee's took out the WCC?

I was bonking a very nice 17/18yo over those two years, trying to make the kiwi mountainbike worlds team and at the mid point of 98, taking over the reins of the cities mountainbike club...

Its oft published that Mr Frank Williams and Mr Patrick Head have not won a constructors championship for a very very long time (1997), but just flicking over some stats and you kind of get surprised that the following year, 1998 for those playing at home, was the last time McLaren won one too.

Sure does seem an age ago now.

Though even if that stat is quite close, I bet Frank and Pat wished they could still win races.

Will it just be me that will give out a large cheer when finally they find their winning ways again?

So what was everyone doing in 97 or 98, the last time these grandee's took out the WCC?

I was bonking a very nice 17/18yo over those two years, trying to make the kiwi mountainbike worlds team and at the mid point of 98, taking over the reins of the cities mountainbike club...

Yeah Handy, I'd love to see them be in close top 3 team fight, and I'll scream at the teevo next time they win.

Well late '97 is when my son was born, so looks like we bonked in tandem....it was the year I closed my bike shop, and broke a few ribs sailing over the bars of a beautiful Gary Fisher.

Awwww, you had a Gary. Gary's were cool.

Yeah, was one of their first full sussy bikes - weighed a ton. Recently bought a trek fuel ex, big mistake, beautiful bike but I can't do a decent bike justice now. :mellow:

One of the Y-bikes? or the one previous? Gary sold out to trek so you can still say you bought a Gary but it came with the wrong stickers :P

What was I doing? Well, I was 21-22, travelling the UK, being rather naughty, smoking lots of pot, living it up and generally being very naughty. Ha!

I was between relationships. Finishing my MSc thesis. Starting to work on interesting project. Met my future wife for the first time...

That was kind of time of big changes for me. :)

Blimey, interesting stat, everyone talks about f1 being dominated by ferrari v mclaren, & mclaren havent even won the team trophy for 12 years!!

1998 was when I discovered F1, and I've not missed a single race since. I wasnt bonking anyone, I was 15/16 & hating school, failing to get girlfriends, being a dweeb with my loser mates haha. All changed now of course!

Had my first holiday abroad, to Corfu (Greece), which was where I watched Damon Hill win the Belgian GP for Jordan, still a very, very happy memory!

Jem!!! You're back baby!! Good to see ya. We've enough now to start a proper Button invasion! All bases covered. Meds, Sean, Jem and Ben lets do it! Ahahahahahahahahahah!

I don't think Williams will ever return to their former glory unless they got Newey on their side, and I doubt that'll happen. I see him staying at Red Bull long term.

But I admire Williams' passion and devotion for the sport, they are really one of the rare good guys in F1 these days. I wish all the best of luck to them, but as I say, I think their moment in the sun is at an end and has been for quite a number of years now.

Jem!!! You're back baby!! Good to see ya. We've enough now to start a proper Button invasion! All bases covered. Meds, Sean, Jem and Ben lets do it! Ahahahahahahahahahah!

Bah. I'll take you all on with one bald eagle tied behind my back whilst singing 'America the Beautiful'.

Bah. I'll take you all on with one bald eagle tied behind my back whilst singing 'America the Beautiful'.

4 weeks time, I'll be singing that myself! :lol:

I don't know if that's enough time to clean California up for the visit...maybe I'll just sweep the dust under the Golden Gate bridge and spritz some Windex on Disneyland. I'm not touching West Hollywood without gloves.

I think 99% of f1 fans like Williams - the 1 'privateer' team who managed to stick it out through the manufacturer-dominated era. The fact that Frank himself is STILL there shows his passion for the sport.

I dont think Newey is the only key; Newey hasnt designed a title-winning car since 1999. I dont know what the magic formula is to get them winning again, I guess a fatter budget would be a start

Sir Frank has an annoying ability to be cheap in the wrong areas. A team really needs to spend a bit of money to secure good people and Frank has always let his wallet rule his decisions, often letting good people jump ship because they've not been offered enough enough money to stay.

Newey is a good designer when the rules favor his strengths. Those strengths have always been in the areas that Red Bull are currently dominating: Diffuser, suspension (ride height), exhaust and extreme nose efficiency. All the ideas that are making the Red Bull go so much faster than the rest have been done on his McLarens and Williams designs.

Good to see you back, Jem! How are you liking fatherhood?

I don't know if that's enough time to clean California up for the visit...maybe I'll just sweep the dust under the Golden Gate bridge and spritz some Windex on Disneyland. I'm not touching West Hollywood without gloves.

:lol: :lol:

Fatherhood is amazing and I recommend it to everyone. My little girl is 2 now and we have a lot of fun together. Me & the wife split 7 months ago so I'm a single man these days, but enjoying freedom & being a man-whore, why not. I'm not getting any younger!

p.s. its 2010 now, your sig needs a new pic on the end!

Sir Frank has an annoying ability to be cheap in the wrong areas. A team really needs to spend a bit of money to secure good people and Frank has always let his wallet rule his decisions, often letting good people jump ship because they've not been offered enough enough money to stay.

Newey is a good designer when the rules favor his strengths. Those strengths have always been in the areas that Red Bull are currently dominating: Diffuser, suspension (ride height), exhaust and extreme nose efficiency. All the ideas that are making the Red Bull go so much faster than the rest have been done on his McLarens and Williams designs.

Agreed. Franky must go to hollywood and start a movie about his long time commiment to F1! And Patrick is old too! Once the hidden force behind a succesfull team, Franky & Patrick are the ballast the of the team! They no longer run the team to win but to make a profitable business, and from this point of view is far better to stay at the mid of the starting grid than to stay in front. At the Barhain race Enrique Saclabroni was invited as a guest in the local F1 broadcast and said " every second faster costs additional U$s 100.000.000 to the team" So franky & patrick want to stay a second oof pace with most of u$s 100.000.000 in their pockets...

Fatherhood is amazing and I recommend it to everyone. My little girl is 2 now and we have a lot of fun together. Me & the wife split 7 months ago so I'm a single man these days, but enjoying freedom & being a man-whore, why not. I'm not getting any younger!

p.s. its 2010 now, your sig needs a new pic on the end!

I was a single parent for a while and the toughest bit is to stay focused on the child. All too easy to get wrapped up with a pretty girl. Father first, man-whore second.

My sig stops with Hamilton. Amen.

**** yeah!