Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medilloni

Top Gear - Senna Tribute, Diaz And Cruise

For those of you that missed it (and like it!), last Sundays Top Gear won't have long left to go on the Beeb's iPlayer - for those that can't get it, I'll try and help...

IMO The Senna tribute was just bloody fantastic, even the missus was in awe of the Monaco footage (not being an F1 fan). Lewis Hamilton driving his idol's car was good too.

Star in the reasonably priced car was a giggle, Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise... she was very quick, and Mr Cruise is pretty handy - won't say how they did in case you've not watched it.

Best part? Cameron, feeling The Stigs helmet :drool:

post-1536-092001600 1280227218_thumb.jpg

post-1536-092001600 1280227218_thumb.jpg

It was rather brilliant. I bet Andres would be drooling. Did like the Senna montage though. Thanks John :)

Agreed. The Senna film was very good. In fact I came here to start a thread suggesting people watch it, but I was too late! If you didn't get to see him race, then definitely have a look.

Yep I saw it too and considered making a thread here, but I'm too damn lazy! :P

It was excellent though and I was mighty impressed with Top Gear for even doing it, and doubly so for doing it so well. It was so good a friend of mine told me he now understood why I'm such a fan. I can't wait to see the Senna film released next year by all accounts it's brilliant.

Yep I saw it too and considered making a thread here, but I'm too damn lazy! :P

It was excellent though and I was mighty impressed with Top Gear for even doing it, and doubly so for doing it so well. It was so good a friend of mine told me he now understood why I'm such a fan. I can't wait to see the Senna film released next year by all accounts it's brilliant.

Indeedy TP, though if the film is anything like Top Gear's tribute , there won't be a dry eye in the house :blush:

I was pleasantly surprised with the tribute, it must've been a good 15 mins long and Top Gear doesn't usually mention Formula 1 much. Weird to think Senna would be 50 this year if still alive!

Even my flat-mate, who knows nothing of F1, was interested in what he saw. I was amused by Lewis Hamilton, he was acting like a typical bloke on a track-day who's never driven a fast car before!

It was all quite excellent. Lewis driving Ayrton's car sent a shiver down my spine. His excitement was genuine and infectious. Cameron doing doughnuts for you in a Jag, does it get better than that? No.

It was all quite excellent. Lewis driving Ayrton's car sent a shiver down my spine. His excitement was genuine and infectious. Cameron doing doughnuts for you in a Jag, does it get better than that? No.

Damn you man, you've left me with nothing to post!

I wonder, what does a petrol head do in another life? There's something about people that just love to monster a car, that has nothing to do with cars. I think.

Do vee-hicles bring out something different in people? Always has done for me, what about you?

I wonder, what does a petrol head do in another life? There's something about people that just love to monster a car, that has nothing to do with cars. I think.

Do vee-hicles bring out something different in people? Always has done for me, what about you?

Most definitely. Man invents a device that propells us along in way that is not natural. That unnatural propulsion enables us to get to places quicker than by natural means. Apart from the convenience of this, it's pure novelty, so it's pleasurable. So, this device has us interest. Now add into the mix a device that makes this experience more pleasurable by creating sensations that put us in direct harmony with that device. That's to say that we need to be clever with throttle and steering inputs by demonstrating a higher understanding. This demonstration is satisfying. It's achievement. Some people don't feel it and therefore have no interest. Others feel it, like it and explore it.

We are merely the pleasurable device explorers.

Most definitely. Man invents a device that propells us along in way that is not natural. That unnatural propulsion enables us to get to places quicker than by natural means. Apart from the convenience of this, it's pure novelty, so it's pleasurable. So, this device has us interest. Now add into the mix a device that makes this experience more pleasurable by creating sensations that put us in direct harmony with that device. That's to say that we need to be clever with throttle and steering inputs by demonstrating a higher understanding. This demonstration is satisfying. It's achievement. Some people don't feel it and therefore have no interest. Others feel it, like it and explore it.

Lovely wordage Steve, all true. This business of <your bit in bold>, it's something that reminds me of Douglas Adam's "the art of flying"... we're so busy interacting we forget/escape/wander-off-somewhere-else.

It's not just petrol heads either, I have a mate that's an artist - try and talk with him when he's painting and he can't hear a word, completely immersed. What beauty there is to be found in not being here :lol:

I have a mate that's an artist - try and talk with him when he's painting and he can't hear a word, completely immersed.

I'm like that after a bottle of Jameson's, a different type of artistry.

I almost cried!!

You guys brought it up with such delight that I decided to download it. It was as boring as always and the Senna tribute, well, inmature at best, that is, designed for an amateur and not "quite there" audience.

You guys brought it up with such delight that I decided to download it. It was as boring as always and the Senna tribute, well, inmature at best, that is, designed for an amateur and not "quite there" audience.

:lol: Sheesh, the goodwill just oozes out of you like a ripe boil :P

Good call. My fault.

The good folks that put that program together attempted to provide enjoyment and diversion. Their lofty and worthy goals, however, were unfortunately thwarted by the oh so common clumsiness that pervades humanity from early ape to (present-day) late ape. This fact notwithstanding, the show was apt for its audience as both the show makers and viewers partake on an idiosyncratic high degree of shared genetic material (broad strokes) and all involved enjoyed minutes of merry make belief. Cannot but congratulate everyone on their participation on this event. It does us justice, which is neither little nor unworthy.

EDIT: idiosyncratic

I love Top Gear but the only issue I have is that it's slowly turning into an entertainment show rather than a car show! For instance, my Mam watches it but only cos it's funny & entertaining which really sums up the "new format" Top Gear & where it's going! Hopefully, there'll be more episodes like the Senna/Veyron SS on Top Gear in the next series otherwise the petrolheads will start to turn their back on Jezza, Hamster & Cpt. Slow!

These ones?

Fruitieees!

:rolleyes:

No idea. Have never seen those. Are they any good?

One of the first things I do when I start living in a new country is to check children's programs. By far, the best TV in general.

Here in Japan, I strongly recommend, "Mama issho ni" (kinda "with mummy"). It is a freaking riot.