Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medilloni

Usa Gp News

Article in Autosport today about the 2012 US GP, certainly looks good news for F1.

Location is now confirmed....

........Unites States Grand Prix organisers have confirmed that their new track will be located to the south east of the city, near Austin's international airport, after revealing the backers of the event for the first time.........which will take place in an area formerly known as Wandering Creek.............

Even though Tilke is involved (well, not all his circuits are bad!), I hope the undulating area of the land will lend itself to an interesting track.

The main backer (announced so far anyways) is Red McCoombs, he's a massively succesful businessman by all accounts, and Kevin Schwantz is involved too.

The website for the track has been launched, www.formula1unitedstates.com.

Great news for Texas and the States, chuffed for y'all.

Fer sure, I'd be going every year!

You live in the wrong country Steph, so it will cost you lots and lots and lots....

I think Tilke is going to be put in his place for this track...Hellmund is not a politician form Shanghai, or Turkey, or Abu Dhabi..he is a racer, his old man promoted/ran the Mexican GP, he is well resourced and knows what he wants. This is his track, and he knows enough about bad tracks to know when Tilke comes with a plan to screw it up and throw it back in his face until it has all the bits he wants, as a racer. He has already been talking about this corner from Spa, and that corner from Imola etc etc....

Might not live there now Craig.......

;)

;)

Now you're talking Steph, I've even considered the illegal immigrant status meself ;)

EDIT:

More news today, here: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/348461/Exclusive_Clear_Channel_to_promote_US_Grand_Prix/

...all really positive stuff, as Pitpass say, McCoombs is no ordinary billionaire. Interesting to see they are going for Moto GP too.

So, what's the chance of a TF1 meet-up at the 2012 race? Ah well, I can dream ;) Talking of dreaming, I'll bet the Texan grid girlies are rather smashin' :drool:

;)

Oh? Really? Should we all start singing "Mike and Steph up a tree, k, i, s, s, i, n, g"???? :P

How are you going to convince him to move to Texas?

Oh? Really? Should we all start singing "Mike and Steph up a tree, k, i, s, s, i, n, g"???? :P

How are you going to convince him to move to Texas?

You're just jealous. Mike said your not his type. :lol:

But will the Americans take to it? There were lots of empty seats every year at Indy.

And Texans just want to see stock cars crashing into each other.

Isn't Schwantz yiddish slang for 'pecker'? Anyway.....

Texas is a fine state and one of the few like California that have a rather...independent...view. Sure, we're part of the U.S. on paper, but we're Texans and Californians first and Americans second. What does that have to do with anything? Well, you can bet that if there's a Texan involved in this it will be done much like Handy predicts.

But will the Americans take to it? There were lots of empty seats every year at Indy.

Ok, in order:

We've had open-wheel racing longer than you have. Indy pulled in more fans than some other races. You are quite wrong.

175000 spectators at Indy F1? ummmmmm...sure that's empty compared to Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 - whats that Mike, bout 250000?

If only China, Australia, Monaco, Britain, Spa, Germany, Spain A, Spain B, etc etc could get that many.

Have a skip over to pitpass, whom will corroborate the 175000, as well as they have some good editorial on the USGP...unless of course you've already read them, and then, well, um.....whats that?????? *runs away*

A Grand Prix in the south of USA also allow People from Mexico South and Centro America to assist. I live like 600 kms from Austin in Monterrey Mexico so is a driving distance and there is a lot of flights from centro and south america to Florida. So a very international event is possible

You live in the wrong country Steph, so it will cost you lots and lots and lots....

I think Tilke is going to be put in his place for this track...Hellmund is not a politician form Shanghai, or Turkey, or Abu Dhabi..he is a racer, his old man promoted/ran the Mexican GP, he is well resourced and knows what he wants. This is his track, and he knows enough about bad tracks to know when Tilke comes with a plan to screw it up and throw it back in his face until it has all the bits he wants, as a racer. He has already been talking about this corner from Spa, and that corner from Imola etc etc....

So we will have Frankenstein and we all know how it ended eusa_think.gif

Worth noting that Formula 1 interest in the United States is really taking off this year. Even without me, they're scoring higher than IndyCar on network (F1 at a .85, IndyCar at a .8) and on cable (F1 at a .5, IndyCar at a .25). By all means, that's not good, but it's a huge improvement for them. A few years ago, the network ratings were a .3. The next generation of Americans is quite different from the present one, allegedly, so that could bode well for F1. While sports like NFL, NASCAR, etc struggle to appeal to the under-55 crowd, more international sports with "furrners" playing like soccer and ice hockey continue to see growth in the 18-25 segment. The level of technology and the shorter length of the events are going to help; no one from the youth sits down to watch a four hour U.S. American football watch when the five minutes of action are on their iPhone right after the game.

You're a riot, Jem.

I'm a good guy, emotional, never do anything to hurt anyone, I treat others as I like to be treated, always try to be fair & reasonable.

So fair and reasonable, in fact, you've taken the time to make sure threads about U.S. holidays, U.S. teams, and now U.S. races have your inaccurate stereotypes of U.S. American culture thrown in them. Of course you'll say you were kidding or have gazillions of U.S. American friends, but seriously, misunderstanding and disliking an entire nation makes you look a bit silly. I'm all for poking fun at stereotypes; I do it myself, but I try to make it clear that I don't actually think everyone in Argentina is Mexican and wants to move to America. The fact you always have to get in a bad word in every thread you can tells me you're not particularly light-hearted.

So, let's be fair and reasonable, here, and address your points.

There were empty seats at Indy because it has 257,325 permanent seats and, with infield seating, close to 400,000 available seats. The 2000 USGP was the highest attended grand prix in recent times with roughly 225,000 in attendance. In later years, yes, attendance fell off, but still to levels above nearly all grands prix, which didn't have to deal with the 2005 tire debacle etc. Indy was also a poor track and run by morons. The Indy 500 and Brickyard 400, for the record, are both struggling in attendance, too.

As for the other comment. Not everyone in Texas is a 20 stone farmer married to his cousin. Austin is a very young city, actually, with a university atmosphere and a lot of technology firms. It's a fantastic place and not the kind of Texas the world comes to expect from knowing President George W. Bush and used cars salesmen. On top of that, people from all over can and will travel to the race; it's not just going to be Texans there. If it's well-promoted, they'll sell plenty of seats, and at the moment, it's being well-promoted in the U.S. considering they've partnered with radio giant Clear Channel for promotion purposes.

Is there a lot left to do? Of course. But I wouldn't write it off just because it's in the United States.

A Grand Prix in the south of USA also allow People from Mexico South and Centro America to assist. I live like 600 kms from Austin in Monterrey Mexico so is a driving distance and there is a lot of flights from centro and south america to Florida. So a very international event is possible

I agree, especially with young drivers like Sergio Pérez and Esteban Gutiérrez doing well in GP2 and GP3 respectively. The appeal to Mexican fans could be really big. I know Indy was a very international event, too, with tons of Montoya supporters headlining the international fans. Flags from all over could be seen in the grandstands; the history of the track attracted a lot of F1 fans who didn't want to make the trip for an oval race like the 500 or the 400, but did want to see the speedway. Austin's appeal, I imagine, will be the city, which is very much worth visiting, and the track, if it's as great as they plan it to be.

In short, I'm very glad the race is in Texas. If anyone will do it, they'll do it, and they'll do it in a way that will help F1 appeal to the U.S. American people.

Worth..................I'm very glad the race is in Texas. If anyone will do it, they'll do it, and they'll do it in a way that will help F1 appeal to the U.S. American people.

Thank you Eric, Puckyfella.

Your don't post often, but when you do........ well, it's worth it. :clap3:

Thank you Eric, Puckyfella.

Your don't post often, but when you do........ well, it's worth it. :clap3:

Sadly the complete opposite from you, aye, Meds....

:P

Sadly the complete opposite from you, aye, Meds....

:P

Ah! A thought crossed through your mind. It must have been a long and lonely journey :P

Cheeky bugger ;)

Well, good luck to them. It seems like they are making slow but steady progess. I have to admit. I had my doubts at first whether this would happen, and whilst it's still a couple of years ago, I'm confident it will happen. As long as the guys in charge don't read My F1 dream by Simon Gillett, £10 from every good book shop now!

Wait, what's that? Oh, I've just heard the publishers made a mess of it and no copies have reached the shops. 'Naw, shame.

Austinring is planned to have 140k seats, lots of lawn seats, camping areas, 3.2 miles of fun, twenty corners, and four major passing zones. Track is designed so fans can see nearly a lot of the track from where they are sitting, which is massively important to U.S. fans, many of whom are used to oval racing where the entire track is visible and you don't miss a thing. Paying money to see one corner and watch the rest on a TV screen is not something many casual fans, like myself, are willing to do. For me, I love road courses on TV, but hate televised ovals. In person, I'm the opposite (hence I've only ever attended oval races but typically only watch ALMS on a regular basis). I'm sure there are a lot of factors that make it an enjoyable experience for the hardcore fan who understands and absolutely loves F1, but the difference between a successful and a failing event are the casual ones (at least in all the U.S. sports), so they need to do their best to create a great track for the experienced viewer and a nice experience for the first-timers/irregular watchers.

My only concern at the moment is having a corner every .16 miles on average. That doesn't sound like they're doing anything Tilke hasn't already done. :rolleyes:

"Austinring" has a certain ring to it...a ha ha ha...ahem.

Gotta remember that a "corner" is sometimes just a kink, and that you can have a bus stop corner which is four corners in five car lengths....

If you have a GA ticket, it's always best to wander the track (as best you can), then you can see lots of corners, and get some exercise too :P

I'm genuinely looking forward to this track. It actually makes me want to see it...unlike Korea....

"Austinring" has a certain ring to it...a ha ha ha...ahem.

Gotta remember that a "corner" is sometimes just a kink, and that you can have a bus stop corner which is four corners in five car lengths....

If you have a GA ticket, it's always best to wander the track (as best you can), then you can see lots of corners, and get some exercise too :P

I'm genuinely looking forward to this track. It actually makes me want to see it...unlike Korea....

:lol:

They should just have zero corners...something truly "Americana."

Wander onto the track? That does sound good, actually. General admission is one of those experiences I ought to have because I'm so used to VIP suites and free refreshments and private bathrooms and a controlled temperature and all that tomfoolery. So perhaps I'll go to Austin if I can and have an experience walking around the track in the terrible viciously mean heat and hearing all the scary loud cars and sharing bathrooms with people who smell odd and wear jean shorts. Or maybe daddy will rent the track for the day and they'll do a private showing of the Grand Prix for me. :P

Korea, I've seen rendered using thrilling space age technology. It's an ehhhhhhhhhhh track but those are our Koreans, so I support them in all their endeavors, including the fine motor race they have planned. I will make all efforts to be asleep when it happens (though the Asian races are early in the morning so I'll probably actually be awake), but I'll be watching in spirit, for sure.

God almighty, designed by Tilke? That explains things then, and there goes any hope of an exciting race there.

God almighty, designed by Tilke? That expalains things then, and there goes any hope of an exciting race there.

:frusty:

Imo, the circuit looks awesome, great mix of high speed changes of direction, 4 - 5 good overtaking opportunities, and in particular the changes in elevation - tricky for the cars unweighting or under compression and along with the corner-mix might make downforce and ridehight compromises a possibility too. Don't think there'll be many wet races there though!