Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

2011 Rumour Mill

F1 rolls off into the sunset for a 3 week break till Spa. To break the boredom of the wait, here's something to speculate on as well as what might happen to Ferrari at the WMSC all summer long!

So, at just over half point of the season, rumours are a'floating once again. And in 2011 it looks like....well, not much will happen to be honest in comparison to the '09-'10 transition period. Here's what we know including colours. Red is confirmed, Blue is probable, Green rumoured.

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

Felipe Massa

McLaren

Lewis Hamilton

Jenson Button

Mercedes

Nico Rosberg

Michael Schumacher (he says he still wants to be there in '11, but will Merc want to keep him on over someone like Heidfeld, etc?)

Nick Heidfeld

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel (extended contract)

Mark Webber (recently signed one year deal I believe...)

Renault

Robert Kubica (signed for two more years)

Vitaly Petrov (team say they've been impressed in recent races, will he do enough to retain drive?)

Timo Glock

Nick Heidfeld

Kamui Kobayashi

Adrian Sutil

Heikki Kovalainen

Kimi Raikkonen (most likely to stop in rallying though)

Sauber

Kamui Kobayashi (rumours he could move elsewhere)

Pedro de la Rosa (talked about moving to another team, difficult to see where he'd fit in elsewhere)

Sergio Perez (impressed many in F1 paddock with GP2 performances, Telmex to get onboard with Sauber?)

Force India

Adrian Sutil (depends what happens at Renault)

Tonio Liuzzi (future unclear at the moment)

Paul di Resta (impressed in outings in the car he has had, part of Mercedes, Mercedes supply FI, logical switch between him and Luizzi)

Williams

Rubens Barrichello (a "formality" apparently)

Nico Hulkenberg (team seem keen to keep him on)

Toro Rosso

Sebastien Buemi

Jaime Alguersuari

Daniel Ricciardo (outside bet if Alguersuari crashes into his team mate again)

Virgin Racing

Timo Glock

Lucas di Grassi (should have done enough to retain drive, finances could play a part though)

Sergio Perez (apparently "close" to a deal)

Vitaly Petrov (again, regarding Renault situation)

Lotus Racing

Jarno Trulli (seems keen to stay on)

Heikki Kovalainen (likewise, rumoured with possible Renault deal)

Vitaly Petrov (linked to both Virgin and Lotus if he doesn't impress Renault)

Luiz Razia

HRT (hardly a safe bet to see them on the grid, already being quite a bit behind on developing '11 car)

Anyone with money, surely?

Karun Chandhok

Bruno Senna

Sakon Yamamoto

Christian Klien

Sergio Perez (Telmex)

Pastor Maldonado (Well funded, leading GP2 championship)

The new team (should be there, but we all know what happened to US F1)

Again, anyone with money.

Jacques Villenueve (Villenueve/Durango)

Albert Costa (Epsilon)

Jonathan Summerton (Cypher)

Pastor Maldonado

Sergio Perez

Kazuki Nakajima

As I see it, the main moving point could be what happens with the Renault deal. If Petrov does keep his drive, then I don't think we'll see too much movement. If he doesn't, well, the lower half of the grid could be quite different.

Wasn't Kubica rumoured to go to Ferrari?? He'd be a nice replacement for Massa if he doesn't perform!

Massa was re-signed when he wasn't performing very well. That tells me all you need to know about how Ferrari are managing Fernando and how he reacts to the distraction of equally fast team mates.

Given the current level of insanity going on in F1, I would expect the following:

Ferrari: Massa will leave because of his childish antics that created this team orders debacle. Kubica will then move to Ferrari, Massa to Renault

Mercedes, watch for Michael to leave and Vettel to move there. Michael is there to help Ross sort out the car and as a placeholder for Seb

Who will go to Red Bull is open question, but strange things happen, think about Braun winning the championship and DWC, then losing both drivers. Weird

I often wonder why I even watch this crazy racing with no passing, no challenging and stupid rules and penalties..... pit stop strategy seems to frequently dictate the standings.

All I hope is that Petrov is given more time to develop his skills. I like the fact that the boy wasn't an instant success, but you can see him developing his skills one by one. If he is given enough time, he could be a fine driver indeed (if he also has the raw pace, something still unproven). Regretfuly, time is one of the scarcest resources in nowadays F1.

Given the current level of insanity going on in F1, I would expect the following:

Ferrari: Massa will leave because of his childish antics that created this team orders debacle. Kubica will then move to Ferrari, Massa to Renault

I know that you are being sarcastic. Let's say that you are being serious though; this is how I would respond. Massa being childish? Eh? Are you out of your f*cking mind? Who was on the radio complaining that he couldn't get past Massa? I think that was Mr petulant child himself, Alonso. Do you understand anything about why Massa has been re-signed? Read my comment above. Your brain was invented by Jim Henson.

Mercedes, watch for Michael to leave and Vettel to move there. Michael is there to help Ross sort out the car and as a placeholder for Seb

What a pile of salmon spunk. Did you see Vettel's face on sunday? Do you understand how badly he wants to be world champion? Okay, analogy time. You need to get to the local 'reforming the insane' weekly meet, but you are late. You can drive one of the following to get you to the meeting, which is fifty miles away; a Ferrari 458 Italia or a Trabant. No brainer, even for you. Ergo, Vettel will stick with Red Bull.

Who will go to Red Bull is open question, but strange things happen, think about Braun winning the championship and DWC, then losing both drivers. Weird

The only thing weird is your inability to demonstrate anything remotely resembling logic. And Braun make hair curlers.

I often wonder why I even watch this crazy racing with no passing, no challenging and stupid rules and penalties..... pit stop strategy seems to frequently dictate the standings.

I was wondering the same.

Gee Dribbler, sure got your hair on fire.

Ref Massa, go look at how he made it obvious for Alonso to pass and then he pouted and walked off during the ceremonies. If he was a team player, he would have acted like all was OK and he just could not keep up the pace, and of course made the pass appear more difficult or make an error in the corner, not just slowing down. I think most people saw this eventhough you apparently did not.

Ref Red Bull, historically teams have had a very difficult time having two top drivers and this is the current situation which is leading to hostility and frustration. Additionally, two years ago Haug said he wanted to hire Vettel for Mercedes when they were trying to buy McLaren. you have to admit Vettel has had his problems with the team and car. He should be leading the championship handily, but alas he is not.

Teams find a way of sorting out problem drivers and, as always, money is the real driver here. The teams have the money and they will find a way to make things happen.

Now why you find that you need to insult me is probably your frustration of discovering that your manure does not stick to the wall.

Gee Dribbler, sure got your hair on fire.

Ref Massa, go look at how he made it obvious for Alonso to pass and then he pouted and walked off during the ceremonies. If he was a team player, he would have acted like all was OK and he just could not keep up the pace, and of course made the pass appear more difficult or make an error in the corner, not just slowing down. I think most people saw this eventhough you apparently did not.

Ref Red Bull, historically teams have had a very difficult time having two top drivers and this is the current situation which is leading to hostility and frustration. Additionally, two years ago Haug said he wanted to hire Vettel for Mercedes when they were trying to buy McLaren. you have to admit Vettel has had his problems with the team and car. He should be leading the championship handily, but alas he is not.

Teams find a way of sorting out problem drivers and, as always, money is the real driver here. The teams have the money and they will find a way to make things happen.

Now why you find that you need to insult me is probably your frustration of discovering that your manure does not stick to the wall.

Oh my God, you were being serious.

So, in your opinion, in light of him having earned his rightful position at the front of the field, then fighting hard with Alonso to try and keep that position, when getting the coded instruction to switch positions he should have relinquished his lead in some cleverly acted out and orchestrated way that would fox even the most astute follower of Formula One? Furthermore, he should have maybe sung 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On' on the podium whilst beaming lovingly at Fernando as he took up the top step? And because he did not do these things, he is not a team player? And he should be replaced by Kubica who would be a much better tema player? You think Massa acted hard done by? Imagine Kubica getting the call. F*ck me that big old nose would snort so loud you would hear it over his V8 on full chat. That's precisely why Kubica will never go to Ferrari why Fernando is there. Kubica would never pull over and Fernando knows it. Massa carried out his duty and he carried it out well. It doesn't mean he has to be happy about it or not show the world what he was clearly being asked to do. Drivers who want to race are called racing drivers.

Dude, you accuse me of having a weak argument, but let's look at your Red Bull rebuttal in depth; Are you suggesting that Red Bull do not want two top drivers because they cannot handle it? That's red bull sh!t. Any team wants two top drivers. Managing top drivers is a nice problem to have. And so what if Haug said he wanted Vettel? I want to sleep with Salma Hayek but it doesn't mean I'm going to get her, does it? Are you seriously suggesting that Vettel would look at his car performance at Red Bull and decide that actually, he's better off at Mercedes? I mean, really? Vettel is not leading the championship for two reasons; his faults and his teams faults. Whilst it's like that, he'll stay. Because given the current level of his car performance, only an idiot would leave. What do Mercedes have that Red Bull do not? Apart form sh!t loads less points. And don't say he'll chase the money. That lad is desperate for a title.

Teams find a way of sorting out problem drivers and, as always, money is the real driver here. The teams have the money and they will find a way to make things happen. Your going to have to explain this one to me. I know it's late but I have re-read this a dozen times and it still makes no sense. Help me out.

As for the insults? Nothing personal, I just dislike ill-thought out opinions, which I think your are and I'm feeling a bit arrogant, so whack away Jim. Now, go get a scrubbing brush because I believe my manure is stuck on the wall like sh!t to a blanket.

I agree with Dribs. I don't really see why anyone was criticising Alonso after the German GP, but I can at least understand why someone might. What I don't understand is how anyone can criticise Massa for it? He did what he had to for the team, he doesn't have to smile about it. In short: Ferrari can make Massa suck Alonso's d#ck but they can't complain when he doesn't swallow (and neither can anybody else).

Back on topic and disgusting metaphors aside: I agree with QO, Petrov is all that matters in the driver market for me. I'd very much like him to stay in the Renault.

But Massa wasn't just not swallowing, he was spitting it back in Ferrari and Alonso's faces. From what I took from the article on their 3 second agreement, Massa was not able to keep a three second gap, therefore he was supposed to let Alonso by. He was told numerous times before he finally did in a most obvious and whiny fashion. I actually like the three second rule quite a lot. It allows teammates to race without unnecessarily jeopardizing the car.

I actually like the three second rule quite a lot. It allows teammates to race without unnecessarily jeopardizing the car.

And that's a good thing, from a spectacle point of view?

Wasn't Kubica rumoured to go to Ferrari?? He'd be a nice replacement for Massa if he doesn't perform!

Massa has re-signed.

Oh my God, you were being serious.

So, in your opinion, in light of him having earned his rightful position at the front of the field, then fighting hard with Alonso to try and keep that position, when getting the coded instruction to switch positions he should have relinquished his lead in some cleverly acted out and orchestrated way that would fox even the most astute follower of Formula One? Furthermore, he should have maybe sung 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On' on the podium whilst beaming lovingly at Fernando as he took up the top step? And because he did not do these things, he is not a team player? And he should be replaced by Kubica who would be a much better tema player? You think Massa acted hard done by? Imagine Kubica getting the call. F*ck me that big old nose would snort so loud you would hear it over his V8 on full chat. That's precisely why Kubica will never go to Ferrari why Fernando is there. Kubica would never pull over and Fernando knows it. Massa carried out his duty and he carried it out well. It doesn't mean he has to be happy about it or not show the world what he was clearly being asked to do. Drivers who want to race are called racing drivers.

Dude, you accuse me of having a weak argument, but let's look at your Red Bull rebuttal in depth; Are you suggesting that Red Bull do not want two top drivers because they cannot handle it? That's red bull sh!t. Any team wants two top drivers. Managing top drivers is a nice problem to have. And so what if Haug said he wanted Vettel? I want to sleep with Salma Hayek but it doesn't mean I'm going to get her, does it? Are you seriously suggesting that Vettel would look at his car performance at Red Bull and decide that actually, he's better off at Mercedes? I mean, really? Vettel is not leading the championship for two reasons; his faults and his teams faults. Whilst it's like that, he'll stay. Because given the current level of his car performance, only an idiot would leave. What do Mercedes have that Red Bull do not? Apart form sh!t loads less points. And don't say he'll chase the money. That lad is desperate for a title.

Teams find a way of sorting out problem drivers and, as always, money is the real driver here. The teams have the money and they will find a way to make things happen. Your going to have to explain this one to me. I know it's late but I have re-read this a dozen times and it still makes no sense. Help me out.

As for the insults? Nothing personal, I just dislike ill-thought out opinions, which I think your are and I'm feeling a bit arrogant, so whack away Jim. Now, go get a scrubbing brush because I believe my manure is stuck on the wall like sh!t to a blanket.

Goldclap3.gif

massa did not create the problem...what childish antics? he got out of the way...if you think any racer is happy about that you know nothing about F1 amigo

All I hope is that Petrov is given more time to develop his skills. I like the fact that the boy wasn't an instant success, but you can see him developing his skills one by one. If he is given enough time, he could be a fine driver indeed (if he also has the raw pace, something still unproven). Regretfuly, time is one of the scarcest resources in nowadays F1.

Andres: Agreed regarding Petrov and especially the lack of developmental time given to new drivers. It's too much like the corporate world: we want tangible results and we want them now. Let the future be damned.

As for those drivers who have contracts for 2011, just remember said documents are not always worth the paper they're printed on.

As for those drivers who have contracts for 2011, just remember said documents are not always worth the paper they're printed on.

True enough. Got anyone in mind specifically? If so, likely replacement?

I expect Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Williams, Toro Rosso, Red Bull and Mercedes will race 2011 with the same line up. Sauber needs money but I think is a mistake to change the line up, Pedro indeed since it will cost more to line up two rookies. Lotus, HRT, Virgin, who cares? The 13th... lets wait and see if it race...

So was Kimi...

Okay, can we at least acknowledge the difference in situation here? Massa is a perfect team player for Alonso and good enought to win on the days that the car is good enough and Alonso falls foul to whatever. Kimi was supposed to be what Alonso is now, but faded. He never would have played second fiddle to Alonso, who in turn would not have performed without being distracted if Kimi were there. Therefore, no brainer, Alonso in, Kimi out.

Not only that, but Massa has just been re-signed based on his current level of performance, not the expectation of something better. Bearing in mind his form has improved since his contract was extended, why on earth would Ferrari now drop him for Kubica? Has Bob escaped the attentions of Maranello because they have been too busy car switching? I don't think so. He's quite imposing, both with his on track performance and that f*cking huge nose.

Okay, can we at least acknowledge the difference in situation here? Massa is a perfect team player for Alonso and good enought to win on the days that the car is good enough and Alonso falls foul to whatever. Kimi was supposed to be what Alonso is now, but faded. He never would have played second fiddle to Alonso, who in turn would not have performed without being distracted if Kimi were there. Therefore, no brainer, Alonso in, Kimi out.

Not only that, but Massa has just been re-signed based on his current level of performance, not the expectation of something better. Bearing in mind his form has improved since his contract was extended, why on earth would Ferrari now drop him for Kubica? Has Bob escaped the attentions of Maranello because they have been too busy car switching? I don't think so. He's quite imposing, both with his on track performance and that f*cking huge nose.

I was just pointing out that Ferrari is willing to pay price to get out of contract if they suddenly decide so. I do not desire to be draged into discussion why Kimi was droped and Alonso hired.

I was just pointing out that Ferrari is willing to pay price to get out of contract if they suddenly decide so. I do not desire to be draged into discussion why Kimi was droped and Alonso hired.

Of course they can, as can any team. My point was, they don't need to and the circumstances of Kimi's contract termination are understandable. I have yet to hear any logical reason as to why Ferrari would drop Massa for 2011.

Of course they can, as can any team. My point was, they don't need to and the circumstances of Kimi's contract termination are understandable. I have yet to hear any logical reason as to why Ferrari would drop Massa for 2011.

I do not know.

They might think Vettel or Webber or Kubica or Sutil or Chandhok would be better for Ferrari than Massa. Domenicali logic is beyond my understanding.